Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 18, 2009 6:11:03 AM PDT
Pat H says:
Still boycotting books over $9.99

Posted on Oct 20, 2009 9:00:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2009 9:02:40 AM PDT
CP says:
The high cost of $14.30 on Kindle for this book is very disappointing especially since the book's now been out 2-3 weeks and there's been no reduction in the Kindle price. I was considering buying a new Kindle II, but have put it off indefinitely (maybe forever) until I see which way the wind ends up blowing on this issue of books priced over $9.99. I will NOT purchase a Kindle book over that. I'm tired of hearing how Amazon, the publishers, and the authors all blame each other for the high prices. OUTRAGEOUS! A huge disappointment. When people ask me about my Kindle I no longer promote it like it did before. I just tell them the books are now priced too high. I'm waiting to see what Barnes and Noble, Apple, etc. come out with. Hopefully they will treat their customers better.

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 5:11:25 PM PDT
Clare49 says:
I agree that $14.30 is too high for an e-book. For that cost, with discount, I can get a hardcover book that will sit on my bookshelf, that I can lend, etc., and that Amazon can't arbitrarily remove from my Kindle should it choose to do so. Perhaps all the new e-book competition will convince Amazon to think more about its customers--especially since its customers are the ones who do so much free marketing for the Kindle,

Posted on Oct 23, 2009 6:23:02 PM PDT
Sydney says:
Just waiting till it comes down in price. And from the reviews, it needs to come down. I hope I'm not disappointed, because I loved The Glass Castle.

Posted on Oct 25, 2009 4:11:30 PM PDT
I couldn't agree more! When Jeff appeared on Oprah, he said that $9.99 was the top price. Now there are all kinds of excuses (see cp's post) for the higher prices. "Half Broke Horses" can be purchased new for less in hardcover! Sure, I'd rather read it on Kindle (I have arthritis and hardcovers are hard for me to hold) but there's a limit! I think the way the pricing has been going since millions have bought a Kindle, thanks to Oprah, is disgraceful greed!

Posted on Apr 24, 2010 9:44:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 24, 2010 9:45:06 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 31, 2010 12:34:38 PM PDT
I bought my Kindle primarily because I have arthritis but the other BIG reason was to buy new just published books for $9.99. That lasted for a while then suddenly everything was between $11-14 (most closer to 14). I no longer promote my Kindle like I did at first. I don't buy books that cost over $9.99 and I am tired of waiting for months and even a year for the price to go down. I think it is most unfair when the publishers don't have to print and ship not to mention destroying many many trees. I can think of no reason besides out and out greed that they would charge so much. The Kindle edition these days is usually about a dollar (and often just a few cents) less than the print versions. My arthritis forced to me quit reading for several years and tho I have so enjoyed reading again I found I could live without it. And just maybe I can again. I am sad tho but I cannot afford to support greed.

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 1:56:14 PM PST
Carol says:
Why is the Kindle addition of Half Broke Horses more that the paperback addition?

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 8:00:47 AM PST
Al Coholic says:
I still cannot believe this. The paperback is less expensive than the Kindle. So, for those of us that have a Kindle, we paid a couple hundred dollars to have the privilege of paying a premium for e-books.

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 8:46:50 AM PST
Carol says:
I won't be buying anything on Kindle that is more expensive than the paperback version. This situation is outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 8:49:02 AM PST
Carol says:
NOOK works well and has very nice reviews from people who own Nooks---nice alternative.

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 4:59:17 PM PDT
Bettyboop says:
I totally agree with EVERYONE complaining the prices of these books. YES, I too was doing alot of praising about my Kindle. Now it's on sales for $50.00 cheaper and the Kindle edition of books are MORE expensive than NEW paperbooks!! WHAT THE @$&! I'm getting ready to put my Kindle on eBay and go back to paperbacks!! I also was ordering only cheap or (.99) books, but I realize I already have them on my shelf!! Why do you show the really good books (new), show us great reviews, and then blow it with these OUTRAGOUS prices???? I'm telling people what I really think about you and apologize for lying to them. (Actually at the time I wasn't lying but praising you way too fast). I do believe you will start seeing a decline in purchases of both Kindles and books!!! I know from myself and my friends. SHAME ON AMAZON!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2011 6:10:54 PM PDT
I am outraged as well! More portability isn't supposed to be the only benefit of the kindle, but with prices now being higher than the paperback I guess I might be going back to buying paper.

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 8:39:01 AM PDT
Julie Malone says:
Ditto to everything said above! Outrageous prices for us Kindle users. It appears the same is true of Nook, which would lead me to believe it's the publishers that are setting these enormous prices! Come on, Amazon, use your huge muscles and get us our lower prices back!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 11:40:27 PM PDT
Sarah Clark says:
I can buy a copy of the book that I can share with as many friends as I want for less than the cost of the Kindle edition. Publishers are setting the prices too high!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Oct 18, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 25, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel
Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel by Jeannette Walls (Audio CD - October 6, 2009)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (1,379)