Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on March 28, 2014
I used to think Greg Gutfeld was an idiot. That just goes to show you that you should never form an opinion about anything based on friends' comments without learning about the subject on your own. My first real introduction to him occurred when The Five replaced Glenn Beck in Fox's early evening lineup. Gutfeld's participation in The Five proves him to be among the most insightful pundits on the planet.

His unique brand of 'punditry' (especially as evidenced through the pages of 'Not Cool') is down-to-earth, common-sense-based observation, often of those people and events that are simply accepted as being 'the norm'. Gutfeld teaches us that 'the norm' is too often imposed upon us rather than being a part of a natural 'evolutionary' process.

Greg's commentary is courageous in its refusal to acknowledge politics' sacred cows, and his demeanor in informing us lacks the pomposity of so many others on the right. He has the depth of a Bill Buckley without the verbosity. He talks with us as if he were sitting in our livingroom discussing the sorry state of the world, over a beer. And his candid irreverence is endearing.

When I was reading Not Cool in our study (the 'cool' term for what used to be called a 'den'), Gutfeld's quick, dry, sarcastic wit, in virtually every paragraph, had me consistently laughing out loud to the point where my husband yelled in from the living room, 'Are you reading Dave Barry again???'

I am tired of being talked down to by both liberals and conservatives alike. Tired of their condescension and arrogance. Gutfeld isn't arrogant. He's frank. And his microscope is accurate and unforgiving ... exactly what the American public needs at this watershed moment in history.
on March 18, 2014
I have been a fan of the Gutfeld Institute of Rational Brain Activity for several years now. Writing this review will probably be one of the hardest reviews I've written in Amazon. Taken on its surface, Greg takes on just about every form of lunacy, pop culture, crazy Hollywood "stars," crazy dictators, crazy Hollywood talking heads, all of the news networks, several crazy representatives of different cultures which make up our society, fracking, Obamacare, the American society as it stands today, and if I named everything, that would be my review!

I cannot tell you how much I laughed at various phrases he uses to describe totally ridiculous things people who should know better say or do throughout his stories. The Chapter on Hugo Chavez nearly made me pass out.

I know intelligence when I see it. And from the first day I saw Greg on Red Eye, I knew he was a whole lot smarter than he let on. Greg is that very rare person who has the ability to see through all the BS going on around him, ferret it out, and somehow not only make it make sense, but make sense in a way that make liberals blow flames out of their ears and leave conservatives wondering if he's on their side or not.

Nevertheless, his grasp of today's youth, today's average social network surfer, today's COOLness and how upside down society is becoming because of it, is so spot on, it's like he took a million post it notes, somehow put them in order, and actually makes sense how this invasion of the quantity vs. quality social scale came to be. Then, somehow, he uses his snarky wit and crazy/sane verbiage to bring it all together and MAKE SENSE! A dry fact-filled book would sit on a shelf and collect dust.

Greg reaches out to today's youngest generation whose parents are so busy working, taking part in social media, keeping the kids busy in after school activities, because THEY are as confused as their parents. Somehow they manage to find down time, Yoga, the Gym, book clubs and possibly the more necessary wine clubs, to get in their free time trying to rest up to do it all over again tomorrow.

His comments and additional stories about SO MUCH STUFF COMING IN TODAY are critically relevant. The fact that EVERYTHING has become politicized, making the field much more muddy, makes his effort to let us know COOL is not (or should not be) our ultimate goal in life. As some of us watch things sag, more and more, not seeming to have an engine to run it or a rudder to guide it, it seems like everything depressingly has no direction. Sort of like algebrabraic equations no longer equal anything. He pushes back, pointing out how dumb it is that we are caught in this sad maze of who to blame, what to do, where to go, how to get it, turns it on its head and points his finger at the who, what, where, and why and in very plain and colorful language, accurately puts the blame where it belongs (on us!!! :-0 ). WE make decisions every day that affect our families, our friends, our parents, our children and buy INTO this crazy society that COOL is, indeed, COOL, and we must attain it at any price. Of course, when he says it, over and over again, it is funnier and full of biting wisdom.

Greg is asking us to wake up out of our stupor, and perhaps on any Hollywood award night, maybe we should NOT be glued to the empty-headed nonsense going on in the media, and turn it BACK to where it belongs: TOWARD THE FUTURE OF OUR CHILDREN! GET INVOLVED IN POLITICS - HELP BRING BACK ALL THAT WE'VE LOST! DO SOME RESEARCH AND SUPPORT A GOOD CONSERVATIVE ORGANIZATION THAT WOULD PASS THE TEST OF THE GREG GUTFELT INSTITUTE of RATIONAL BRAIN ACTIVITY!! We can do this!!! And Greg is at the head of the line!!

Our priorities are hideously twisted, Greg's entire book shouts that out. We MUST read this book carefully to find out HOW, while there is still time left, we break the hold that money, technology, fashion, peeking into other people's lives via reality TV, and ANYTHING Hollywood is trying to sell us in general, has on us, that we check out the Constitution, check out the business pages now and again, and most importantly, get educated on religions, groups of people, those living on assistance, government hand outs, and the most important thing given to us of all: FREEDOM! We live in the best country in the world and we let these false-faced nutballs in the media dictate our lives!

Now he is on FOX NEWS NETWORK ON The Five (at 5:00 p.m.Monday through Friday), a brilliant addition to the team, still has his fun on Red Eye (also on FOX News Network), has written his (I think) 2nd full book (Edit: 3/21/2014 - I stand corrected - Dana said today on the Five that this is his SIXTH BOOK - my most humble apologies to the author), is winning the respect of no less than Bob Beckel (not an easy thing for a guy like Greg to do!!), is turning up on Bill O'Reilly, and is on his way to becoming one of the great thinkers of his generation (seriously!).

This book has much more meat to it than the last book. I think it could have been cut into four books, with more factoids added to educate the masses to the mess this country is currently wallowing in. Greg Gutfeld is one of those writers who can, in one sentence, cut the lies out of the mouths of (fill in the blank) and tie it up in a bow so funny, you might have to go back and ponder what he said for several days.

I don't like my own review, even though I've been at it for two days. I can't catch Greg's amazing ability to cut through all the BS handed to us every day and somehow have it make sense and make it edgy and funny at the same time (funny as in funny rational). So, go out and buy his book. NOW!!!!! His numbers will make him lots o' money, yes. More importantly, it will show the Hollywood COOL and the Washington D.C. COOL and the campus COOL people that we have their number. While Hillary and Obama danced, four of our best men died in Benghazi. Just this week, while they danced again, the Crimea section of the Ukraine was stolen and taken away by Putin. On the international front, things do not look good. On the National front, things don't look good. WAKE UP, AMERICA!! While the cat's been away, the mice have been carting out little pieces of what made this country the exceptional nation it WAS.

NOT COOL is one of the finest relevant books on the state of our world today. Greg has the intelligence to pull it all together, the thick skin not to care who he skewers (they deserve it), a vast range of observations and knowledge to pull from, and a slightly self-deprecating way to end it. One thing I know, you will learn much you did not know when you started Not Cool. I will be keeping this one near me as a reference guide to the Not Cool and don't know it crowd!! Five stars for a book well done, Greg Gutfeld! Very, very cool book! No, having heard Greg say today (Edit - 3/21/2014) on The Five that Greg thinks cool is actually evil (in terms of its collective effect on society) - very, very, GOOD book!
2828 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 18, 2014
One of the tougher things to do today is to dissect where the fault lines are in culture that have caused American society to fracture as it has. Gutfeld offers his astute analysis in a fashion accessible not only to adults, but to teens and college-age kids who may need it more than the adults do.

As the Second Disco Era draws to a close, I look forward to my kids reading this. Without preening moralization, Not Cool points out the self-destructive behavior that has been idyllized in modern American society, and offers refreshingly simple antidotes to it... while pointing the reader to the ultimate coolness in rebellion: individualism.
on May 18, 2014
I strongly agreed with Gutfeld's premise; that is, that the "hipster elite" have way too much influence on our culture, morals and politics. I wholeheartedly agreed with his view that it's really the uncool everyman who truly makes the world go and provides the blessings that everyone enjoys (including the hipster elite). But after several chapters of his rant against the cool, it begins to sound like a long gripe session coming from a somewhat embittered curmudgeon. In making his case, he throws in a lot of unneeded profanity and off-color humor, which gives the impression that he's trying to sound "cool" himself while disparaging the elite. He also has a chapter where he provides examples of uncool people who have stood up against the elite. For some reason, he includes in this list a lot of rock and rap singers that I never heard of. It's not until the last chapter that he lays out why it's not necessary to be cool, and this became the best chapter in the book. A good book, but could have been better.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2014
This is a topical and witty observation of the zeitgeist and the cultural norms today. If you happen to agree with him, you will simply adore this book. If you don't, and you lack any sense of humor you will loathe it. While 5 stars may seem excessive to some and I had my doubts, in the context of today it is a notch above many tomes which bemoan thestate of the culture.

A simple reminiscence of a middle age man, this book enumerates many of the anguishing developments that those with a little sense of tolerance can smile at, even those who are to the left of Mr. Gutfeld should be able to enjoy. Sometimes his rage peeks through the surface and it is at those times I wish he had spent more time polishing his comic wit. Of course, considering he state of affairs in this country today, I feel that even a room filled with Aristophnes, Twain, Swift, Waugh, Menken, Martial, Amis, Angus Wilson, etc. would not be able to satirize the world today.

It is not that these people are cool, it is that they are shallow, intolerant, and unbelievably pompous that makes any attempt to lampoon them to be so obvious. It is like knowing the punch line of a joke before it is told. In the final analysis, an enjoyable few hours for those who take it like it is.
on March 18, 2014
Unlike some reviewers here I'm actually listening to it before I comment :) Great book. You won't be sorry. After all, all the cool kids are reading it :)
on March 18, 2014
Greg writes yet another thought provoking book that's chock full of his weirdly wonderful humor. I recommend jumping to the chapter on on the Rise of the Free Radical ... it's priceless.
on March 19, 2014
Greg Gutfeld's latest book is just as funny as "THE JOY OF HATE" was. Here, "The Five's" Libertarian cohost explores how the "cool" crowd (hint, in this case, the "cool" crowd would prefer to always see themselves as "tolerant; me, I call them "Liberal if I'm feeling generous) constantly seeks to tear down anyone who dares to disagree with them. Anyway, Greg Gutfeld has the uncanny ability to explore this concept through humor.
on March 20, 2014
Greg Gutfeld's latest indictment of the dysfunctional elitist, repressive, bigoted, and self-righteous - or Far Left ("Cool" is the code word) - mentality is insightful and serrated without the comparative viciousness and intellectual-desolation of treatments from the Left. It is often hilarious with wit that is driven not by desperate or conscious setups but by the subject matter itself. It is a biting awareness-raising analysis of how sentiments and values can wind up in certain categories, with some form of self-appointed "hipster elite" making such decisions even though they are ill-equipped to do so. And they manipulate the basic human need for acceptance through everything from the Media to Academic institutions to do it.

Gutfeld lays the ground work quickly with his "beliefs the cool use to enslave you: 1) If you don't agree with them, no one will like you; 2) If you don't follow them, you will miss out on something great; 3) If you don't give in to them, you will die alone, and unwanted, possibly eaten by your army of starving cats." The context for this is his contention that "the longer I live, the more I'm convinced that the world's just one big high school, with the cool kids always targeting the uncool." He then insightfully and irreverently describes every arbitrary, immature, oft-hateful step of the process. One quickly gets the point that the "cool" are little more than inane, irrelevant posers who share a brain. Incapable of truly revolutionary thought, they adopt what they are TOLD is revolutionary to curry favor with those whose "approval" is vital to their "self-approval."

Much of the attitudes described are nested well with today's Liberal orthodoxy, in which refusal to march in lock-step generally results in ridicule, attacks on reputation and credibility (what I like to call "lies"), and eventual exclusion. To be "cool," one must agree with certain things. If one doesn't, they cannot be "cool" - even if they are in the estimation of people who actually know them. And information about them is manipulated to foster an "uncool" image because the "cool" does not want them to be accepted. After all, if they are, their definition of "cool" is undermined. The "uncool's" beliefs are ratified and they themselves are not so "special" anymore.

For example, like Gutfeld and others, my musical tastes are solidly heavy metal, which many would consider to be "cool" on an objective scale. Yet, because I am also a Reagan Conservative, I cannot really be cool because I don't agree with the "cool" orthodoxy. Sound childish, senseless, bigoted..."High Schoolish?" Of course, yet the aforementioned information elitists promote this sentiment - because the exalted title of being "cool" cannot be achieved without being a mindless zombie (like them) who shares a brain with the self-appointed "cool adjudicators." I would say that the young (teens - 30) are perhaps the most vulnerable to this indoctrination yet it seems to transcend all age groups these days, demonstrating how insidious the process has become.

It's not hard to get Gutfeld's point and he soars along with it admirably. It was a "quick read" but also a fulfilling one (i.e., has a potent memory life) and it wasn't hard to smile at what is becoming increasing frustrating for traditional - or "uncool" - minded folks. The jokes are frequent and have context so the book never veers far off point. The Conservative and/or Libertarian movements need more people like Gutfeld to call out the idiocy of today's far-left dysfunctionals and hold them accountable to their great discomfort. Yet, Gutfeld does it all with a smile throughout the book. You know, I can't really think of anything cooler than that.
on March 29, 2014
Greg Gutfeld is the right's answer to Jon Stewart, and I have to say of late just being objective, he's genuinely funnier in today's milieu.

(I think that's because Stewart, despite popular apologists to the contrary, pulls his punches whenever taking on liberals, putting in a sort of pro forma appearance. Stewart has increasingly compromised himself by playing politics behind comedy nigh constantly, then retreating behind the facade "But I'm just a comedian!" if a conservative critique hits home. After his March to Restore Sanity, Stewart lost the last appearance of being anything more than a political shill. It's sad, because he is one of our generation's great talents, but has refused to puncture the titanic ineptitude of the current administration.)

Gutfeld knows who the hell he is and has both the balls and the intellect to critique the absurd hypocrisies of modern liberalism. He's spot on here in his major thesis that worshiping the cool has lead to a nihilistic blind alley for both the left and our greater society.

I've developed this thesis independently myself before, positing that the left's conflation of the social self with the political self is now so complete that no liberal can take a position on any issue -- from fracking to hate crimes -- that runs contrary to the peer pressure of their group. I do not think we see anything like this sort of lockstep on today's right.

Gutfeld is genuinely funny, at turns slashing but then falling back to mild self-deprecation, always engaging as a writer and heads and tails smarter than the combined staff of MSNBC. Next to Charles Krauthammer, Gutfeld is the smartest person on Fox. (If I had my druthers, they'd dismiss the lackluster Eric Bowling and bring in a conservative of color like Jason Riley to balance out the panel.)

But The Five works as television mainly because we are currently governed by such absurdly incompetent people, who have nothing left beyond their cool cachet and Che mystique.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...