Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > The Shining forum

Not that scary

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2006 10:55:07 AM PST
Bill Mobley says:
The sense of claustrophobia is good, and the horror is more psychological than anything else. It's not a bad book, but back in the 70's some of the blurbs said: "A horror behind every door." There was not a horror behind every door in that hotel, and little horror in the book.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2006 5:02:42 PM PDT
Books are rarely that scary. I dotn consider a book abd just becuase it wasnt scary. All in all this was a great book and excellent allegory for domestic abuse

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2007 1:50:18 PM PDT
M. Dunham says:
I hear the movie is really freaky. Is it better than the book?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2007 1:50:49 PM PDT
M. Dunham says:
Is this book worth buying?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 11:23:13 AM PDT
Bill Mobley says:
I found that the book was better than the movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2007 4:07:32 PM PST
The book is definitely worth buying. You just have to go into it knowing that plot wise it moves slowly but you won't really notice because King does a great job with characterizations. And should you happen to get bored with the characterizations (personally I think they're the best part of the book), King gives you graphic foreshadowing though Danny's visions that hint at the "gorier" more action oriented scenes in the book, so you shouldn't feel bored at any point by the story.

I love the book and it deserves all the praise it has garnered over the years. A brilliant work

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2009 10:26:16 PM PST
Would you say for someone who is easily scared by ghosts and dead bodies, that it would be too scary? I've been wanting to read it for a long time, but I don't want to torture myself with it. My main attraction to the story is the alcoholic father, not the gore.

Any opinions??

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2009 11:02:55 PM PST
J. Santoro says:
The Shining can be intense -- considering it's about the dissolution of trust between father and son. That is the true horror of the novel for me, anyway. There is also redemption and sacrifice. You can always put it down it it gets too much for you. I think it's probably one of his more accessible novels for fans who don't like out-and-out horror. Stay away from Salem's Lot, Pet Sematary, It, and the like. You might also like Cujo and Firestarter. Hope this helps. PS; I read this book when I was 13-14 -- almost 30 years ago. It was one of the first ones by King I read and loved it.

Posted on Feb 5, 2009 6:44:57 PM PST
Thank you! I'll give it a try then. I was considering reading Salem's Lot, maybe I'll hold off on that one :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2009 8:13:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 8, 2011 8:25:47 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 11:40:38 PM PST
compsciguy says:
I didn't find the novel that scary, but it was still a very good character study, and the psychological breakdown of the family was heartbreaking. Some scenes were extremely suspensful though, like the fire hose that looked like a snake, and Danny was scared to pass it. And then there was "something" in the cement tunnel in the playground. Very horrifying. There was also that "dogman" that didn't let Danny pass in the hallway. I thought that scene was gonna be the "bear scene" from the movie. Thank God it wasn't. That was disturbing seeing that "bear" and that other guy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 2:09:16 PM PST
As almost always the book is far scarier than the movie. Jack Nicolson is too campy for me. Your imagination can do a much better job creating horror than a movie director.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 1:06:04 AM PDT
Well it is scary as hell, yes, up there with Salem's Lot, IT and Pet Semetary. And it is way better than the movie.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 7:48:48 PM PDT
Ok if you don't think this book is scary, what DO you think makes a scary book? I love psychological horror, shocking imagery and good old fashioned suprises. King delivers all of these elements in this novel as he does in the vast majority of his books and short stories. This was the first King book I ever read (early high school-80's) and I have been a die hard fan ever since. If this isn't a scary book to you then King horror isn't your thing. Out of curiosity, I'd still like to know what or whom do you think trumps King in this genre?

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 7:58:35 PM PDT
Ok if you don't think this book is scary, what DO you think makes a scary book? I love psychological horror, shocking imagery and good old fashioned suprises. King delivers all of these elements in this novel as he does in the vast majority of his books and short stories. This was the first King book I ever read (early high school-80's) and I have been a die hard fan ever since. If this isn't a scary book to you then King horror isn't your thing. Out of curiosity, I'd still like to know what or whom do you think trumps King in this genre?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Shining forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Mar 22, 2006
Latest post:  Aug 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Shining
The Shining by Stephen King (Paperback - 2007)
4.7 out of 5 stars (3,189)