Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > Songs From The Sparkle Lounge forum

Not true rock...it's glam....ask Joe

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 26, 2008 12:16:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2008 12:24:11 PM PDT
Any fan of the 70's era will testify to the emergence of glam rock..a very different musical style that, while emulating alot of the rock values, was a mix of R&B, Rock & Roll, and something entirely unique; British Folk.....not true Rock. Personally, I think that it's an insult to call them a true rock band because it insinuates that they are sell-outs and they most definately are not. I hope that some of those people out there that are calling this music "True Rock" are simply doing so out of naivete.
I must agree with alot of your enthusiasm as I am a long time fan of the band and I must say that I am very glad to see that they are finding a real identity with this cd. This includes you Joy...and I'm sorry that I was too difficult for you to understand...it's really OK...are we still buddies?

That's all.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2008 3:57:03 PM PDT
Joy says:
Oh my God! You are the most delusional person ever! And I am one of Def Leppard's biggest fans and have seen Joe many times say they are a rock band. Obviously you don't really follow the band enough. Glam is rock period! No if's, and's or but's about it. Just get over yourself!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2008 4:09:47 PM PDT
Glam is part of the true Hard Rock Heavy Metal, just like Joy said. It's classic Rock!! I seriously doubt you being a Leppard fan, this is Leppard's signature sound. It's your Grunge, Nu Metal, Emo, Death Metal Alternative Punk crap which isn't Rock. Stop being so darn delusional pal and let us actual fans of the Rock genre enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2008 7:27:03 AM PDT
I am glad that you have a healthy identity for yourself. Irony is a beautiful thing. There is no R&B background to their music with possible exception to Vivian. Therefore, not a complete rock band. They are glam rock and that's still OK.
Hey, my sister loves the band as much as I do and I guess she is as delusional as I am. Don't worry though, we would never try to compete with someone of your status. Why, you're simply the biggest DL fan in the world and therefore, noone's opinions count but yours. I'm sorry does this sound like I'm talking about a classic case of delusion?...such fire.
I thought we were talking about classic rock...yes, I agree that DL can rock out and I really like some of the new "Sparkle" stuff. Glam rock is not only the groups like Kiss and Aerosmith...it's also about performers like Ronson and Bowie...like Elton...Queen...it's Crue too...Mott the Hoople...Glitter...T-Rex...Thin Lizzy...this is where Leppard is coming from!!!
What you really are trying to say is not much different than what everyone else is saying. We are in love with this band and we can't wait for the album to be in our hands...we are going to see them live...as we have in the past and will continue to do in the future. Try not to hate me...we're not that much different. I'm sorry if I came off a bit cocky.
I first heard their music in the early eighties...I was on a tour bus going to Toronto with my hockey team. I really liked what I heard...I think the track that was playing and the time was On Through The Night...I was thinking about how the instrumental in that song made me want to get in a car and drive really fast. I think I liked them at the time because they were like ACDC...only less wreckless...edgier...very cool.
I went out and got every bit of music that I could find from Leppard...then, I went out and looked for stuff from the producer...which was really cool because I liked everything he was involved with at that time too. Imagine, the guy that did Back in Black did Heartbeat City and Foreigner 4.
By the time Hysteria came out, they could do no wrong. I was a full on Lep a holic and I played a mean air guitar...
One day, I'll blog the whole thing. For now, however, to make a long story short, I am a very big fan of the band...I wish that they could reunite...if only for one song...with Pete Willis. Also, I really feel that their marrage to Mutt was too short...but losing Steve was what really changed this band's sound. I miss what could have been...not that Viv isn't cool...but I just miss that wailing guitar sound that was Steve's trademark. Now I really am rambling...sorry, bye!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2008 5:10:53 PM PDT
Shanna Riley says:
While Joe and some of the other Leps have long admitted to being childhood fans of glam and glam rock, and some of their side projects and even songs have reflected that, I think you're making quite a big leap to call Def Leppard "glam rock" as a whole.

The guys like to mix it up and try out different things, and add pieces and stylings from a variety of different genres - yet at their core they are, and always have been, *rock*. Look at their roots; songs like "Let It Go" and even "Rock Brigade" are pretty much good, hard rock in my book.

Even if the guys softened up a bit in later years and played around with other genres they enjoy & respect in side projects and for fun, there has never - to my ear - been anything remotely "folksy" about Def Leppard.

I do see your point about calling them "sell-outs", which they aren't and thankfully never will be. Def Leppard come from the old school days of making music for the pure, unfettered joy of *making music*. Yes, becoming rock gods was a definite perk and the ultimate desire, yet still they made music because they were talented artists who genuinely loved to create music; very much unlike the majority of studio-made, plastic, throw-away pop tarts that dominate the airwaves these days.

Regardless, I don't think calling Def Leppard "true Rock" is really an insult - they are many things to many people and many musical ears; which I think the guys - with what I know about them - would be just fine with.

Honestly, when it comes down to it there is no "true rock", but a beautiful mix and conglomeration of a bevy of genres, sub-genres, and styles. I think, if anything, Def Leppard - who changes it up just a little with every new album - just simply can't be pigeon-holed into any one "true" genre just as no true, lasting, and evolving artist could or should be.

Just my two coppers...^_^

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008 7:08:47 AM PDT
I agree with alot of what you say here, Shanna. I think, for a genre, rock really has evolved into something much larger than just one simple genre. It's very difficult to throw down an anchor on any one place and say "this is true rock" because the lines have become blurred in many ways. Maybe it's just alot easier to just feel the music...if you feel the vibe...and you like what you hear...jump in an get soaking wet.
One thing I really like about your post is how sincerely you describe your take on things here. I just wanted to thank you for the insight...I think that you may be one of the most "easy to read" posters in here. Not that I dont like to hear the shapened tongue of a stereotype "die harder"; they are very seminal in all of their bombast. They are much less likely, in my humble opinion, to explain as openly as someone...such as yourself.
...and yet, you can still come off sounding like a real fan of the band. Bravo!!!
Cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008 2:02:47 PM PDT
I Think Barry has to much time on his hands

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008 2:33:30 PM PDT
Mee to ! lol

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008 4:40:27 PM PDT
Shanna Riley says:
I truly appreciate your compliments, Barry - thank you so!

I'll admit, I'm a "die-harder" in my own right, but learned long ago that dissertation works best with an open mind and willingness to accept others' ideas; even if - indeed, especially if - you don't agree with them. Usually, too, there are bits and pieces you will agree with and ones you don't, so you can't really praise or dismiss a post overall. I always try to break it down and explain my thoughts on all the different points.

I will always be a Def Leppard fan, and a fan of music in general. I have a very eclectic mix of "favorites" that spans everything from Patsy Cline to Prince, Zakir Hussain to Zeppelin, Nickelback to Nine Inch Nails, and B.T. to Brazilian Girls! But first and foremost, "my guys" have a very special place in my heart. I like to say that Def Leppard got me through my teen years. By time I graduated high school and started growing up and out of my "obsession", I had over 230 posters (all Lep) wallpapering my bedroom walls and a Def Leppard collection worth over $2,000 (I had some pretty neat & rare stuff).

Though I no longer keep up with their every move, I'm still a huge fan who gets every album, supports what they do, and would not miss a local concert for the world. I've seen them five times, and every concert was wonderful and memorable. They're just amazing live; even today you can tell it's what they live for.

Again, thanks for the compliments...and keep on rockin'.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008 5:06:25 PM PDT
I think "rock" is the best description of Def Leppard's style - they WERE heavy metal in their early days, but "rock" can accurately describe anything from "High N Dry" to "Adrenalize" to "Slang" to "X", which all have different styles. I think the pop/glam stuff started sneaking in around Pyromania, and just kind of took over lately, but it's kind of part of what means Def Leppard, I guess, isn't it? That said, this album "rocks" a bit more than what we've been getting from Def Leppard lately, so I think should please most fans (who aren't expecting it to sound exactly like the 80s).

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 4:03:33 PM PDT
lame, glam is a form of rock, and rock is a form of rythym and blues by the way. in fact it was called that until it's name was changed to sell it to white people. so rock goes back to the late forties at least. glam is a form of rock. so what. I don't care if it sounds good.

Posted on Apr 24, 2014 8:37:23 AM PDT
Joeywoodburn says:
Of course it's rock. It's may not be metal but it's still rock.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Apr 26, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 24, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions