Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: HardcoverChange

on September 29, 2011
I will admit to having a history of buying a book for its cover and this one does not disappoint. This is initially why I picked it up. As I read it I knew this would be a hit. My two sons love it for different reasons. My little one (3) loves the pictures and my 5 year old loves the art and the way this story allows him to interact with the text and the pictures. The bright colorful art is attention grabbing and the author clearly has a grasp of children who are at an age where things are black and white (no pun intended). I love the way it challenges children to think of things in new ways. At an age where flexibility is a four letter word, I advocate anything that helps my child think more creatively and outside the box. I do have to deal with constant interruptions while he makes his own observations about other ways a puffin is like other things in the book. If you want a sing-songy rhyming book that you can recite in your sleep...this ain't it. If you want a book that makes your child think and does so in language that makes sense to your 4-7 year old then put this one in your cart.
on September 28, 2011
I have a ton of friends who have toddlers now and I never know what to get them. When I was asking around, a friend of mind recommended this book. Its a book that checks off all of the boxes that I was looking for: engaging colors, fresh images, and a writing that encourages kids to think creatively. I have had great feedback from my friends who I gave this to, so I think this going to be become one of my go-to gifts for while...or at least until Sue Soltis comes out with another book.
on December 19, 2011
There's nothing like a puffin.
Or is there?
" A newspaper, to be sure, is nothing like a puffin.
A newspaper is shaped like a rectangle and made out of paper.
A newspaper has pages. It's black and white.
But wait---

A puffin is black and white, too!
What are the chances?

A newspaper is something like a puffin, after all."

A zany tale of the way we are all unique and all so much alike. Delightful!
on December 18, 2013
I liked the compare and contrast game played in this book. It encourages children to look beyond their initial impressions to find similarities between things that seem incredibly different. While the book does this in a fairly silly way, I think that it could be built on... different people, a new hometown, a new school, etc.

And, if you like to really perform books when you read them, this one is great. You get to be emphatic and alarmed and cautious and all sorts of fun things.

The illustrations made me think of old cartoons in a way, even though they were digitally rendered. I think part of it is that they are flat and use wide swaths of color. And part of it is probably the limited color palette--red, blue, yellow, black, and white. And yet, the illustrations are full of life and character. They pop off the page.

Now that we're living Downeast, near Puffin nesting territory, I figured it would be fun to start teaching my daughter a little bit about them. (Especially because she keeps calling them penguins!)
on September 28, 2011
A book that really encourages kids to think! I love this book. Nothing's ever like a puffin... but wait.... And the artwork is beautiful!
on August 10, 2012
I love this book. More importantly, my six month old absolutely loves it. I randomly checked it out of the library when she was three months old solely based on the bright colors and the fact that puffins are just funny animals. My daughter loved it. She would look at all the pictures and listen to the whole book. Who knows why but the kid loved it. We started reading it all the time. All we needed to say was, "Do you want to read Puffin?" and we'd get a smile. After renewing it from the library several times, we finally had to purchase a copy. The book is simple in its structure and has eye-catching illustrations, but it's also a great exercise in logic and making connections. I definitely think this would be a great book for an older toddler as well so I expect we'll get a lot of mileage out of this one as she starts to grasp the concepts in the book. Bottom line -- my husband and I can both pretty much recite this book by heart. So that's saying something.
on January 2, 2012
Some see this book at a lesson in Math. I see it as a way to teach young kids (mine are 4 & 6yo) that we can have things in common with all sorts of different creatures, while still maintaining our individuality. I love this book and recommended it to all my friends who have kids aged 6yo and under.
Beautifully illustrated, fun, and unique. Definitely add this to your family's collection and consider it as a gift for the next kid's bday party you're invited to.
on January 11, 2013
Nothing Like A Puffin is an amazing picture book. By the end of reading this engaging story a couple of times, our 2 and 1/2 year old said things like "A puffin can fly, penguins can't" and "Puffins are bird and can lay eggs!" I am amazed at how this book can hold her attention and have her learn cool facts at the same time. Beautiful pictures, wonderfully written story. I can't wait to see the next book from this author.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
There isn't anything quite like a puffin. This cute little puffin gives a range of examples from other animals, to objects who aren't quite like him. In comparing himself to other things, he sees just how unique he is. There is nothing else quite like him. I like the message this story gives. The reader/the story's audience can easily relate themselves to the puffin, as there's no one else quite like them.
on October 6, 2014
The librarian pulled this one off the shelf for us when she saw my 3-year-old daughter's t-shirt (which had puffins on it that day). I don't think I would have picked this up otherwise. But it was a delight -- definitely a poet's mind at work! My daughter enjoyed it and I did too. Worth a read!