Nothing Personal
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$5.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 16, 2009
At first I was torn. Alex's voice is so different. It's pop with minimal punk. So Wrong It's Right was more punk oriented. That being said, the new sound is incredible. It's really catchy, some nice riffs as well. I agree at times it's slightly overproduced, however (Too Much).

Weightless (10/10) - The first single. Great song, the chorus will be stuck in your head for a long time. So catchy.

Break Your Little Heart(10/10) - This is the song that's most comparable to So Wrong It's Right. Pop Punk at its finest. One of my favorites.

Damned If I Do Ya (9/10) - It's a good song, but I'm not sure it's worthy of being the second single.

Lost In Stereo (9/10) - This is the first song where you can REALLY notice Alex's different sound. It's got an amazing beat though.

Stella (10/10) - Another one of my favorites. The lyrics are quirky kind of, but that's part of what makes ATL great. I especially like the part where it slows down in the middle.

Sick Little Games (8/10) - It'd be a good songs for a lot of bands. But it's not one that stands out tremendously, especially on an album this good.

Hello, Brooklyn (10/10) - Another song where the different vocals come in. But the chorus is especially catchy. And the ending where he goes through the cities.

Walls (9/10) - I don't especially like the beginning. Too techno. But the lyrics are great, and he sings with a lot of passion in this song.

Too Much (5/10) - By far the worst song on the album. It's so different, so bleh. Didn't enjoy it at all. Boy bandish almost.

Keep The Change, You Filthy Animal (9/10) - Another song that reminds me of the old ATL. Good beat, etc.

Party Song (8/10) - At first I was in love with this song. But it's too much like so many other songs. Good nonetheless.

Therapy (13/10) - Incredible. By far my favorite song on the album. Maybe ever. The lyrics are great, Alex hits soo many notes, sings with so much passion. It picks up in the middle. A great way to end an amazing album.

All this being said I believe this is the album of the year. From start to finish it beats my other nominees (The Glass Passenger, 21st Century Breakdown). All Time Low keeps getting better, I can't wait to see where they go from here.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
All Time Low is completely a product of the Pop/punk scene in the early 2000s, taking their name from a New Found Glory song, starting off as a Blink-182 cover band, All Time Low has picked some of the best to look up to. Their early albums had their highlights, but were less than memorable, so listening to "Nothing Personal" it's clear that it's a clear progression for the band. It keeps their same sound, but it's better produced, and thankfully more memorable. "Nothing Personal" is also a product of the times carrying a distinct electronic tinge in parts, but the band uses it to its advantage.

Highlights Include:
Weightless
Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't)
Sick Little Games
Walls
Keep The Change, You Filthy Animal
Therapy

Nothing personal, but this isn't the most original album in the world, but it makes up for this by getting the formula right. It's fun, it's catchy, it's danceable, it's rockin', and most of all, it's a great summer album. In fact, I can't point out a weak song on the album. Some are better than others, but they're all good, with some reaching the heights of awesomeness.

Overall, for a genre that's had it's share of ups and downs, mostly downs, during this decade, it's nice to know fans still have a great band to latch onto. If you're a fan of the band, the genre, or you're just looking for this year's summer soundtrack, this is the album for you. If you're hate the genre, this won't change your mind. With "Nothing Personal" All Time Low reaches an all time high.

Real Score: 4.5
on August 25, 2009
This summer's releases were nothing short of a disappointment; I am a huge All Time Low fan, but this album was overproduced and under-punk-ed (if you thought that was even possible for pop punk, the answer is "Yes" and the example is this album). I'll say it as plainly as possible: Auto-tune thoroughly ruined this album.

I would stop short to call them sell-outs because I have so much respect for their previous work (i.e. `The Party Scene' and `So Wrong, It's Right'). I loved these albums, and have loved this band ever since I first listened them playing Blink 182 cover songs at Warped Tour 2006. Since then, they've created passionate hits like `Remembering Sunday', `Six Feet Under the Stars', `Coffee Shop Soundtrack' and most importantly - `Jasey Rae (esp. Acoustic)'. These albums/songs pluck the heartstrings of my soul. It is an understatement to say I have held captive by their pop punk appeals.

Needless to say, I waited with much anticipation for this release. I preordered it, patiently waited for it to ship all the way to Iraq, and went straight from my room to sit on my bed to listen to the CD while perusing the line notes.

My disappointment was immediate--Alternative Press could not pen truer words than to write, "Alex Gaskarth can sing, just let him." Auto-tune belongs to bands the like of Maroon 5, not to the likes of pop-punk sensations All Time Low. It is a tragedy to butcher the songs with unnatural chalkboard screeches. I wish I could blame the producers, but they all generally have a successful history of hit songs/albums in their repertoire; the truth is that everyone involved in this project was lost in the glamour of `mainstream hooks' and `generalized pop lyrics'.

Don't get me wrong, this album is not completely without salvation; more than half of these tracks have grown on me. Though the entire album is overproduced, `Weightless', `Break Your Little Heart', `Walls', `Too Much', `Keep the Change, You Filthy Animal', `A Party Song', and `Therapy' manages to overcome their auto-tune barriers and generate, potent, emotional, get-up-and-dance beats. That being said, I refuse to listen to `Lost in Stereo' or `Hello Brooklyn' anymore; they are simply awful songs. I pray to the Pop Punk gods these songs are never played live in concert.

I hold the idealistic hope that All Time Low will turn back to their pop punks roots and this will be a minor blip in their musical career. Only time will tell...
on July 7, 2009
I'm a little torn on my feelings about All Time Low's Nothing Personal, as once again, we have an example of a "rock" group's third album that's so slickly produced it interferes with the 'human' element of music that I find so important. Without question, this record will be ATL's most successful (commercially, that is). This super-refined, manufactured-to-sell production is sure to 'wow' the younger demographic with its triple-layered guitars, extra crisp and punchy drums and drum machines, tight, mistake-free vocals and hooks-all-over-the-place nature. There also must be a couple of dance-pop producers among the slew of 'big name' contributors...so, if you don't take this too seriously and embrace the fun, mainly upbeat, sing-along vibe this record offers, you should be more than pleased.

While you don't necessarily go into an ATL record with expectations of music with a whole lot of depth, they have made an impression on me in the past with songs like "Remembering Sunday", "Six Feet Under The Stars", "Coffee Shop Soundtrack", and "Jasey Rae" (especially the acoustic version). The songs on Nothing Personal are, in general, decent...but, to my ears, there's a lack of sincere, heartfelt music here. And, everything sounds so gosh darn 'perfect'!

"Damned If I Do Ya" almost overdoes it in the 'hook' department, with its clever title & chorus line, plenty of "Oh, Oh, Oh's" and handclaps, and kind of a Pat Benatar "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" vibe. "Weightless" and "Stella" sound like they have major Fall Out Boy influences, and several songs aren't very original... we've heard similar material many times before. For what it's worth, the 'better' songs IMO are "Sick Little Games", "Keep The Change, You Filthy Animal", and "Therapy"...perhaps because they're the most 'real'-sounding to me.

For what it is, a 'mindless fun'-type record, Nothing Personal easily succeeds. The recording quality and dynamic range are excellent. It should be around for awhile, but whether or not it's considered a classic years from now remains to be seen, and I have my doubts.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 23, 2009
I preordered this cd from glamourkills and got it the first day it came out. it's fantastic! it's almost as good as so wrong it's right,. here's my review for each of the songs.
Weightless (10/10) - The single that got me excited for this cd. Will remind you of weekends where you felt like crap.

Break Your Little Heart(10/10) - A VERY good break up song from either a guy or girls point of view

Damned If I Do Ya (10/10) -AMAZING. My third favorite song off the album

Lost In Stereo (10/10) - That song that makes you think of the girl you're trying to get, but she just wont come to you

Stella (10/10) - The best song on the album. You'll turn it up every time you hear it

Sick Little Games (10/10) - Mostly like Papa Roach's Hollywood [...], since it talks about the media and what they're doing to America

Hello, Brooklyn (10/10)If you're in New York or a big city, you'll roll down the windows and let this song blare out the speakers

Walls (10/10) - Talks about what its like when you're not sure about someone, which is why ALex talks about breaking down these walls he built around himself

Too Much (1/10) - Ok. Not every song can be perfect. But the album is still worth buying. It kinda sounds like the Jonas Brothers. But i'll still always love this band.

Keep The Change, You Filthy Animal (10/10) - You'll love it. such a pop punk song and is a good exapmle of what a song should be
A Party Song(The Walk Of Shame) (10/10) - Amazing. IT IS actually the ultimate party song

Therapy (9/10) - Its a good song, but it just doesnt really seem like Alex. But its still very very good.
The album art on the inside is very amazing. PIck this cd up
on December 9, 2010
After first hearing Coffee Shop Soundtrack I fell head over heels in love. I love how All Time Low mixes the edgy punk tones with the melodic and super catchy pop melodies. Needless to say I had this album release marked on my calender for months.

After I was done listening to the CD, I felt very...empty to say the least.

Sure. The catchy-ness and upbeat is there. But after that there was nothing to it. Everything seemed so perfect, so (dare I say it?) robotic. Like every note had it's own little niche. The lyrics were okay. Nothing really mind-boggling. It all seemed a bit shallow. It's not like So Wrong It's Right where everything has edgier and messier. The beauty of those songs were they were a little bit raw but had so much depth and insight.

As much as I love All Time Low, this album was by far not the greatest. It's too safe and over produced.

Every note on this album may have been in tune, but the album as a whole fell very flat.
on August 2, 2009
I've always been a big All Time Low fan, and another album is very exciting. Almost all of the songs are upbeat and fun to listen to. The album starts off with "Weightless." It's definitely a good start to a great album. Tracks 1-8 are my favorites off of the album. Track 9, "Too Much", is something different for ATL. Tracks 10 and 11 are more like the rest of the album. Track 12, "Therapy", is a slow and mellow end to a fun and enjoyable album.

Weightless: *****
Keep The Change, You Filthy Animal: ****
A Party Song (The Walk Of Shame): ***
Therapy: ****
on July 8, 2009
All Time Low is back with their 3rd CD. Yes, it is kind of overproduced at times, but it really doesn't take away from the album here. The lyrics here are heartfelt and sincere, if not kind of high-schoolish at times. My favorite two songs here are "Therapy," which has excellent lyrics, probably the best on the CD and "Walls" which is very catchy and playful. I don't know how serious you want these guys to be, since they are around college age. It's a fun record, you can scream out the songs and sing to them. Alex has a great voice. It won't be a masterpiece in my collection, but still a solid CD.
on November 1, 2014
This album is so great. I've listened to it so many times since buying and I never get tired of any of the songs. All of the tracks are unique from each other, in music and in lyrics. My personal favorites are Stella, Damned If I Do Ya, Lost in Stereo and Therapy. The only song I didn't really like was Too Much, but the amount of good songs outweigh the one bad song. BUY THE ALBUM WHOO
on September 21, 2009
I really enjoyed All Time Low's last album. I thought it was creative and all the songs were very good. This new cd is just too poppish for me. Maybe if I were 10 years younger I wou appreciate it more (and I am not that old). I couldn't recognize the singer from any other band, and all the songs were too similiar. Overall I have to say that I will stick with "So Wrong, It's Right."