Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 126 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 30, 2012 8:16:14 AM PDT
A. Gaa says:
So what do y'all think? Will it be good, bad or ugly?
What do YOU want to happen?

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 7:23:03 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 13, 2012 9:21:08 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 12:11:36 PM PDT
Angel Face says:
Not sure....after how 18 ended....anything could happen. Now Morelli drank the "love potion"!!! I love the fact she is not choosing between them, I wouldnt either!! I would have my cake and eat it too for as long as I possibly could.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 2:33:06 PM PDT
As much as I would love to know who she will ultimately choose the fact is when she makes a final choice the books will end. I enjoy reading them so I hate to see the last one come and the stories end. I feel like I personally know these people and will miss them.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 9:50:25 AM PDT
The books have deteriorated since book 12. I will read them until the end, though. I hope with each one they will get back on track. I always root for Ranger. She runs to him when she really needs help. Morelli just yells at her, gets disgusted with her and then wants her to be a housewife. I do not see Stepanie as a housewife. I wonder if that one spark of a thought about possibly being pregnant by Ranger will go anywhere. Might be a way to gracefully end the series. She always was careful with birth control, but got careless with Ranger in Hawaii. Might be something to look forward to. I really think Stephanie needs to do an out of country bounty hunter mission with Ranger. See that side of things and toughen her up a bit. Just my thought, as the dumb fugitives in Trenton are getting stale.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 11:00:36 PM PDT
SusieJ says:
I don't hold out much hope for Nineteen. I supposed it will be about the same as Eighteen, which was another depressing book for me. I'm so so disappointed in the the direction the series has taken since 12 or 13. I held out hope for a while that the series would get back on track. But I've given up. I'll probably get Nineteen from the library if I run out of other stuff to read. But it's no rush for me. I've read that Evanovich has signed a contract to write four more Plum books, so don't expect anything to get resolved in Nineteen as far as the Joe vs. Ranger debate.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 3:20:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2012 3:20:59 PM PDT
I agree with you Claudette! I was really disappointed in 18. It just seemed like Janet left a whole thought out. I would rather the book have been about what actually happened on the vacation, either Stephanie thinking back or just let the story be about what happened with a case there. I think it is time for Stephanie to travel also. There are so many locations that Trenton criminals can run to around New Jersey. What about NY, DC, MD and PA. Just a thought, bring someone from Ranger's past maybe even a female to make Stephanie jealous and want him even more.

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 7:08:36 PM PDT
NancyW says:
While I have enjoyed each book in the series, I agree that the first 12 were far better than the last 6. I see that there is split feelings between Morelli and Ranger (love for Morelli and lust for Ranger), is the reason Stephanie cannot choose just one. Actually, I could not blame the character for being indecisive. What has worn thin with me is the secondary characters like Lula, Stephanie's family and every person smitten with the excitement of being a bounty hunter. I swear, those characters are actually getting dumber by the book. Also, I have not seen Stephanie really grow as a character. She still bumbles around with dumb luck on her side as well as the assistance of the two men she is interested in. While the thought of Morelli falling in love from drinking the love potion, there is no guarantee that he will let Stephanie be Stephanie the bounty hunter. As for Ranger, there is zero interest in commitment to Stephanie if she was pregnant. She has been his comic relief expense that he claims on his taxes. Really, do men wait to take turns to get Stephanie into bed? NO! Will I read notorious nineteen? Sure, when it is available at the library. Will Ms. Evanovich get that spark back that she had in the first 12 books? I sure hope so, but I am not betting on it.....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 4:33:01 PM PDT
Wallaby says:
Who cares? Really? I have become so bored with the seventh-grade level 3-way love affair that I really don't care. I no longer buy these and they turn up very quickly at the Library for free. All the tedious fart and donut jokes have gotten really old. The first six were funny, now they are just dumb.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 11:32:41 AM PDT
L. Ortiz says:
I think that they really need to take the Stephanie and Ranger show in a new direction and really forget the Morelli angle. He's boring and really won't ever grow as a person or character. Imagine the adventures the bounty hunters could have in other areas or Stephanie having to save Ranger and doing something in Miami with his daughter. Stephanie's mother and grandmother have continued to say that her relationship with Morelli isn't going anywhere and it's because she's just living in her past with him. He's safe and easy.
The other problem is that I truly don't think Janet is reading what the fan base wants and that's more Ranger and Stephanie doing their security/bounty hunter thing. She has lost the series after 12. It picked up a bit with 18 but again she never delves into the background of what truly happens with Ranger and Stephanie. And contrary to what a reader posted, Ranger would NOT leave Stephanie with a pregnancy. The amount of time, money and effort he spends on keeping her safe and happy is not going to be deterred by a pregnancy. It might actually make them both realize how much they cannot be without one another. Who does she always call on and know when he's in her presence? Ranger.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 12:59:40 PM PDT
Wallaby says:
I think the Ranger angle is a dead end. He is like a comic figure, not a real person. The series has run it's course. Since Evanovich has to throw in paranormal love potions in a pathetic attempt to breathe life into the story, it's time to wrap it up.
I got tired of Lula (ugh !) the transvestite weirdos and the lukewarm lust between Plum and the two men long ago. Shes beating a dead horse. Morelli was much more believable than Ranger.
I get it now, Evanovich figures she will lose half her fans if she picks a man. Trouble is she's losing all of them, me first.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 2:38:25 PM PDT
I would choose Ranger over Morelli any day....and I think that is the direction this series should go....the triangle has run its course...she really made her choice when she spent the time with Ranger in Hawaii....that is why Morelli was so mad, because he knows he is about to lose her....

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 3:03:23 PM PDT
S. Dunham says:
The series has already ended because it's been the same thing for years. It's stuck in a time warp with the same story line recycled with copy and pasted dialog. To move forward, it could work if Stephanie ends up with Ranger. With Ranger's security business and his contacts, there could be more interesting story lines. We would get the same old boring crapola if she wound up with Morelli. Who wants to read about fighting over toast or peanut butter or Stephanie job....again and again. This book already reads like a recycle of 10 Big Ones. Gangs, fast food, and cars on fire. I stopped paying for these a long time ago. I'll read it, but I'll read it for free. I'll save my money to support writers that actually care about their work and want to give their readers the very best.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 7:36:32 AM PDT
Moma Fox says:
18 wasn't a bad book, not my favorite, but not bad. Sometimes a series needs a book that leades into the next. IT has to have the stuff in it to make the next book work. It happen in one of the Sookie Stackhouse books, the one was not real good, but the next was really good. it happens in long series. but you needed to read the not so good stuff in order to understand the next book. It might not be good, but it's not bad. The series as a whole is wonderful. My mother-in -law and I read them all the time. I can't wait for 19 to come out! I know it will be a good one. And for those of you who are tired of the series, stop complaining and read something else. let the rest of us enjoy the series. It's easy reading for when life is hard.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 7:40:57 PM PDT
Wallaby says:
No way I would buy more of this series. Its all just recycled farce. And I can see Evanovich is afraid to pick a man. Trouble is, it goes nowhere. No more of these for me when there are so many books to read that are not so silly and repititious.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 10:57:52 AM PDT
P. G. Walker says:
I agree this series has turned into the same book over and over again. There are still parts that are so funny I laugh out loud wherever I am. But the characters haven't developed from book #1. Stephanie's incompetence isn't so funny anymore. Anyone would have to get better at their job by now. It looked like Joe was getting fed up with police work, and I thought he and Stephanie could start a PI business. And as someone else said, how about Ranger's daughter showing up more. We can see her problems with both men, but she doesn't acknowledge them or discuss them with anyone. Come on Janet, you can do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 10:06:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2012 10:07:07 AM PDT
I don't want to pay for and read re-runs. And, given Books 13-19, I'm not sure that JE can write a fresh Plum book or a fresh book period (based on the my reads of the Metro Girl and Wicked series, which read like Plum redone).

I do think that an author can keep a long standing series fresh, because other authors (Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Sue Grafton and Daniel Silva) have done it.

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 1:24:54 PM PDT
Teahouse Fox says:
None of them are growing as characters. Zippo.

The way things stand now, Morelli is right - Stephanie needs to quit. Since she's not allowed to get better at what she's doing, quit. Marry Morelli. Get a job where you can hope to feel like you got something accomplished without needing training wheels (19 books into it. Really?) Even Ranger comes right out and knows he's paying for comic relief as she burns through his garage of cars.

(Really, I keep hoping all three of them grow up, Steph actually becomes a decent bounty hunter, she and Ranger rub off on each other, so Carlos dials back on the 'batman' and they can go off being adventure junkies together. Joe stops hoping for a nice quiet girl who works at the button factory and will settle down to make babies and lasagna, or realizes Steph is not that girl.)

Can't Janet have her get it right on her own every few books, increasing the number of times she can tie her own shoelaces until it takes something really big for Ranger or Morelli to have to ride in? Lula the side kick has better skills and street smarts.

Fine, leave the gun in the cookie jar - It's quirky. Learn a martial art. Have the stun gun work once in a while....When you need it to. Harry Dresden goes 12 books before he loses his first car. Steph can go through about four per book. While it's no fun having a character that's invincible, it gets tired when everything in Superman's world is made of Kryptonite.

I'm going to be borrowing 19 from the library. I'm not paying for these retreads anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 3:39:30 PM PDT
Teahouse Fox, Harry Dresden is great. :) I also couldn't agree more with the last line of your post. I'll either get it from the library or see if it turns up on the Kindle lending library.

Honestly, I don't have much faith in the series getting any better and she needs to wrap it up.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 10:07:14 PM PDT
My friend introduced me to these books a couple months ago. She bought the first nine books for me. I loved them until after about book nine. There were still moments of LOL but not as many.

There are too many references to food and the eating of it. Even the best metabolism would bog down under all that food.

I agree Stephanie would in the real world have learned some skills. In fact she'd have made an effort to take some classes or at least about technigues. I can see her and Morelli starting up a P.I. firm. With her intuitive luck and Joe's experience they'd work well together. It would give them something different to focus on besides Stephanie's ineptitude.

All the cars blowing up, buildings catching on fire and all the rest remind me of those old P.I. shows like Mannix, The Rockford Files, and Magnum P.I. Someone was always shooting, blowing stuff up or just causing mayham which the hero had to come in and solve the crime. In the Plum series all the mayham is unnecessary. Why can't she just have trouble with cars? Like every time she gets in one something mechanicle goes wrong with it. It would be okay to have one blown up or riddled with bullets if that helped the plot. In JE series it's just something to add meaningless paragraphs.

I want to read 19 but think I'll be disappointed. Since JE has signed on for another 4 books I have a feeling we won't get a resolution any time soon to the Joe/Stephanie/Ramger triangle. I sure wish JE hadn't turned Stephanie into such a slut. Having sex with multiple partners is fine as long as you are with one and only that one until you end the relationship. Joe tonight, Ranger tomorrow night isn't something I care to read about. It makes her cheap and carelessly thoughtless. Since she's having trouble making a decision, how about being just friends with both of them until she gets her head on straight.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 4:15:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 4:18:06 PM PDT
Teahouse Fox says:
Yay! Another Dresden fan - Cold Days will be out this fall. It's a series I'm still looking forward to with every installment. The audio version is brilliant!

Oddly, I would not have found The Dresden Files were it not for the Stephanie Plum novels. I have only heard them in audio, too. Lorelei King is a narrator, and she is also brilliant at what she does. I started with book four, I think, when they were awesomely good fun.

My first audio books, and I'm sure there were times other drivers would look over at stoplights to see this woman laughing like a loon behind the steering wheel until tears came. Lorelei King may not have a Jersey accent (as the reader of the first three books did) but her comic timing and voices for all the characters are genius. The books were that good.

Now, I'm so disappointed in the recent installments, that not even Lorelei's narration can save them as audiobook experiences. I'm kinda sad and wish Evanovitch would get it together and shake things up again.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 8:48:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2012 3:13:59 PM PDT
I read the updated excerpt of Chapter One of Notorious Nineteen on JE's website. It's starting to sound like a rehash of Book 14 and Plum Lucky. (Ranger needs a date/bodyguard for a formal event and the date is in Atlantic City.) This isn't a spoiler. A spoiler would be that JE wrote a Plum book as good as the first 12.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 5:43:49 AM PDT
Babe! Who said Ranger could be tied down?

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 7:33:16 PM PDT
adoetee says:
I love this series and I love Stephanie Plum. So what if it seems like repetition, that's what life is, isn't everyones life that way. Same thing, different day maybe a few bumps and bruises along the way. Of course stephanie hasn't gotten better at bounty hunting because that's the character; which is why she can't cook, can't make a decision about which man she loves and depends on her parents to pick up the slack with things like food, laundry and the buick when she needs a car. If any of these things were to change, if steph suddenly became a tough independent bounty hunter, she wouldn't be the character we all fell in love with and then we'd all complain about that. To me this series is funny no matter how many farts, donuts, cluck in buckets or car explosions are written. I find this series a fun, light-hearted easy read and a stress relief for when life gets hard.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 8:10:58 AM PDT
S. Dunham says:
Actually, no, my life is not the same thing everyday. And no, Stephanie Plum was getting better at her job in the earlier books. She was very independant and didn't like asking others to help her. Remember when she used to give Ranger part of her bond money? She had grit and determination and worked hard to do her job. That's the character that I fell in love with...not this immature person that has regressed and become a user. Now I wouldn't want to she her turn into a super hero overnight. I like that she bumbles her way around because this makes her more real.

I want to see some character growth in the all the series that I read...not just Plum. I loved the humor in the earlier books. It was more subtle and well thought out. Not this over-the-top, moronic slapstick that is the same gag in the later books. I expect more from professional writers than I do amateurs. I do like a silly scene every now and then, but I guess I'm not as easily amused as others. I can't laugh at the same joke over and over and over and over and over again.

If you still enjoy this series, good for you. Repetition is boring to me. Life is too short to read/do the same things over and over again. The other thing that annoys me is that it's obvious that JE doesn't care about the Plum world anymore...just the paycheck. How do I know this? I read the books. The writers' love of her characters always comes through the words on the page. I haven't felt that since 13. But when I read Wicked Appetite, I felt that love again. Too bad it was Plum Re-done because I could tell JE really enjoyed what she had written.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  33
Total posts:  126
Initial post:  May 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Notorious Nineteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel
Notorious Nineteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel by Janet Evanovich (Hardcover - November 20, 2012)
4.3 out of 5 stars (4,783)