1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars the future, June 10, 2011
Jeffery Mingo (Homewood, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PBS Nova Science Now What's the Next Big Thing? DVD (DVD)
This work explores self-driven vehicles, detecting natural disasters, and androids. Because it ponders the future there are references to "The Jetsons" often. This could be useful in a science class.
I prefer academic subjects that deal with people over objects. I like discussing -isms more than talking about stocks or electrons or such. So I was very surprised when the work highlighted a white gay man who had Asian or Eurasian sons. The work suggested that his experiences with oppression may have helped him to promote getting scientists from diverse fields of study to collaborate. I found this surprising, maybe even refreshing. However, those who want to stick with objects may dismiss that tactic as "PC."
The work brought out the pessimist in me, however. It admitted that if humankind had self-directing cars we'd need separate highways and roads for them. Talk about expensive and possibly anti-green. Yo! Machines can mess up. What if this futuristic car malfunctions and drives a human off a cliff? It would be great to predict natural disasters. However, the deaths due to Hurricane Katrina happened because many NO, LA residents were too poor to leave. If we can't relocate huge masses of people, then how will we keep them from perishing?
This was meant as survey material. I think the makers would acknowledge that they couldn't go into depth on topics. Still, I felt this was a bit ho-hum.

PBS Nova Science Now What's the Next Big Thing? DVD