5.0 out of 5 stars Love it
I love Nova videos, and this one is particularly intersting to me. I think it does a good idea of discussing what it being human means.
Published 16 months ago by Maegan

1.0 out of 5 stars Which word best describes David Pogue?
Published 21 months ago by Jack

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, March 9, 2013
Maegan (Fairbanks, AK USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars What Makes Us Human, July 1, 2013
This review is from: Nova Sciencenow: What Makes Us Human? (DVD)
This was a very informative DVD. I enjoy purchasing the NOVA series to learn more about life on planet earth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting offshoot of PBS Nova science series - lots of discussion of skulls, December 19, 2012
This review is from: Nova Sciencenow: What Makes Us Human? (DVD)
"NOVA Science NOW" is a new offshoot of the long running PBS science series NOVA, produced by WBGH in Boston. Each of the 54-minute shows is divided into four or more segments, but the episode has one umbrella topic. I wasn't aware of the show until I received another DVD from the series - "Can I Eat That?" (see my review on Amazon) - and, while this isn't as much fun, it's still interesting and I'll look for others in the series.

First off, the series is hosted by a guy named David Hogue. I'm never heard of him before but he is funny, in a satirical way. He's an "everyman" just like you and me, who is curious. And it's his curiosity that draws us in.

The show has four segments to it. The first shows Hogue's self-deprecating humor as he explains the difference between the Neanderthal man and modern man (mostly based on the skull. The next is on how - and when language first began, This is followed by a segme nt on the "Evolution of Laughter" (actually, it's more serious than funny). The show concludes with a profile of Ethiopian paleontologist Zeresnay (now a researcher in California) and how he discovered fossil bones from 3.3 MILLION (yep!) years ago.

In the less-than-an-hour I spent watching this DVD I learned a lot of useful facts and was entertained in the first segment. Yes, it's science - and there are a few (very few) technical terms used - but it is, mostly because of Hogue, a lot of fun to watch.

There is a scene selection menu but no bonus features in the DVD.

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.

Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific show, October 31, 2012
This review is from: Nova Sciencenow: What Makes Us Human? (DVD)
This show was extremely well-done. It reflected an excellent blend of science, humor, graphics, and commentary from experts in the field. The hour flew by in what seemed like 15 minutes and it kept me, my 16-year-old son and 11-year-old daughter totally absorbed. The host, David Pogue, brings just the right amount of respect for the science and humor where appropriate. He made some of the technical explanations understandable and watchable. Can't wait for his next installment of this excellent series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Which word best describes David Pogue?, October 10, 2012
This review is from: Nova Sciencenow: What Makes Us Human? (DVD)
After watching this video on PBS, I really can't make up my mind which word best describes David Pogue. It is either 'annoying', 'aggravating', 'irritating' or 'obnoxious'. The subject of this video is so interesting, yet I found myself skipping over the parts in which David Pogue insisted on taking center stage, which was all too often. As an unseen narrator he is not half bad. As a performer, he stinks. I am conflicted about the star rating. I give every scene without David Pogue in it 5 stars and every one WITH him in it 0 stars. According to the principle that one piece of dung ruins the stew, I rate this video 1 star.

Nova Sciencenow: What Makes Us Human?
$24.99 $14.10