5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you will every need
Published on November 7, 2011 by College kid

3.0 out of 5 stars Came damaged
I read other reviews about damaged or malfunctioning units little did i think there was chance of me being that unlucky. Mine came with a small tear in the LCD displays backing leaving a bright lit spot in the background. Its not worth the hassle to return, but for the premium price it should not come that way.

As for the keyboard it is of OK build, and has...
Published 11 months ago by Phil D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you will every need, November 7, 2011
This review is from: Novation 25 SL MkII USB Midi Controller Keyboard 25 Keys (Electronics)
These other reviews are not giving the praise this product deserves. I have owned it for over 3 years, hauled it, used it, (lightly abused it,) and it is still %100 since the day I bought. Poster above says too complex? Too many functions? I beg to differ. Look at it this way, you can go spend a $100 + on just a midi keyboard, then maybe you want some faders and knobs later, another 100+, then maybe a drum pad..keeps adding up. You wanna talk about complex? By 3 or even just 2 seperate midi products and get them functioning properly with Reason, FL Studio, Ableton Live, Garage band ect. Talk about complex and frustrating. Trust me, I've done it.

I use this with my laptop, FL Studio (fruity loops), and Adobe Audition. It is flawless. It will do whatever I want it to do. I can link knobs/faders/samples in my software and assign them to a knob/fader/drum pad with literally 2 clicks of the mouse. Oh yeah, and when I save and reopen the midi links are remembered. If you are just beginning making beats or mixes, or want something to do some live work as well, or you've been in the game for a while and looking for a nice little midi rig. Man I cannot highly recommend this product more. Like I said, until your mixin for Lil Weezy or something and want to have more equipment to look cool, you will not need anything else. Hell, I'll show up any hiphop/dubstep producer any day with this product and my laptop alone. Don't go blow a bunch of cash on a bunch of equipment, get this product because it has everything you will ever need, 1 cable, 1 plug, 1 piece of equipment.

Quick Update: Still using this product today :) one of my knobs has dented in a little bit after stuffing it in my luggage one to many times. Still works perfectly though, imagine that. I love this thing, I will give it all the praise it deserves because it's been an indispensable tool for my music creations. I love it still to this day.
- College Kid

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome controller!, January 11, 2011
I am just getting the hang of this device, but very satisfied with the experience so far. The physical feel of the unit is of medium quality. Solid enough to take gigging, but you'll want to be gentle to its faders and knobs. The synth-piano-key action itself is very good (in my subjective opinion)

The device's main differentiating point, its LCD works as advertised. It's very useful not having to glance at that part of the Ableton interface. It does seem to flicker oddly, but nothing to interrupt your usage.

I do find the device's interface to Ableton Live a bit clunky, especially the setup (be SURE to follow the instructions. You'll never guess it). That said, it's extremely usable. Perhaps when I dig more into programming the unit the clunky-feel will be smoothed out - it seems the device is totally customizable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 'all-in-one', May 6, 2014
This thing is awesome. It works well with Ableton and is super-portable. Just plug in one USB cable and it works (no external power necessary).

I don't use the drum pads 'cause they're not very responsive (it's like on or off, pretty much), but that's why I bought it so I don't care.

If you buy an APC20 and combine it with this and Ableton, you can produce music really quickly--just use the APC20 for navigating/selecting/mixing and use this to control the sends and play the keys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value!, May 10, 2014
Christmas goft for my son. He is a DJ and was thrilled to get this gift. Delivery was on time and it was 100.00 less than a local music store!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Keyboard, January 28, 2014
Eyegor "E" (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I already had the Novation SL MkII 61 and wanted a 25 key keyboard to replace a lower end Novation so I could have AutoMap for everything.

The action is awesome. It feels a lot like my Hammond M3, so doing glisses and whatnot doesn't feel like the keyboard is going to disintegrate. It has a full collection of rotery encoders, slides, button and velocity sensitive pads. Like I said, it's just a miniature version of my SL MkII 61. I *love* this thing.

Once you have AutoMap set up with your SW synths and DAW, it's easy to program things to work as you wish. That mean less time diddling around with the computer and more time playing.

I've ordered the Novation Backpack case for the SL MkII 25 so I can travel light and still be able to play anywhere I go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Came damaged, March 16, 2014

As for the keyboard it is of OK build, and has plenty of features. It has decent integration with Logic Pro X, but is still buggy.`

3.0 out of 5 stars As time passes the dirty comes up., September 1, 2013
SparX (NY, New York) - See all my reviews
I bought this because I thought to myself "An all-in-one product." It's purely a MIDI controller. IMO, it is not worth the money. The first one I got had uneven velocity response; One of the black keys had max sensitivity, but before I could return it I was sent out to the Philippines a week earlier than I had expected. When I got back a month later, I was out of the return window so I decided to take "the defective product route." In this case Novation's website said to go back to the "authorized dealer." And Amazon said I needed to confirm that Amazon is an authorized dealer by contacting Novation, which I did. Eventually, I exchanged emails with a guy who was inexperienced and impatient. Inexperienced because I had already registered the product on the Novation website, serial number and all, yet he asked for it again (which defeats the purpose of registering, doesn't it?). He also sent me an email saying the RMA form was attached when nothing was attached. Impatient because he wanted me to send the defective product immediately, when I was going through heavy post-operations duties. Also complained about how long it took for me to send it, when he never gave me a sort of idea why there was a rush, until later.
Because he couldn't send it to my military address (FPO, AP), I had to have him send it to my parents who then sent it to me. When I got it it worked great and I used it until I went to the Philippines again, this time for a 6 month deployment. When I got back I started using it again, but something on the underside got dislodged and messed up the pitch/mod joystick.. The pitch/mod joystick has a spring that returns the pitch to center and the mod to the bottom, but the underside has a latch that can pushed up to disable the spring for the mod, allowing the mod to be moved up and down freely. But that latch was so weakly implemented that it snapped off "the track" and deeper into the keyboard, along with its spring mechanism.
Because I knew returning it a second time was out of the question, I decided to open it up, but before I did I checked online to get some sort of idea. Very daunting.. After I opened it up I realized that it isn't worth the 309.86 I spend on it. The chip boards fell right out along with their rubber surfaces, and the ribbon cables disconnected because of their short length. In short, putting it back together was very difficult. I got the piece fixed.. re-lodged it back where it belonged. But today I'm packing it up, and I can see that the latch has resistance and looks like it will pop back into the case.

That was the last straw so I decided I would warn people about this product.

The pros:
many functions, in a small box
bus powered
infinite-turn pots with lights
immensely programmable (stand-alone programming can get very advanced but can be programmed the exact way you want it).

The cons:
uneven velocity response across keys
weak pitch/mod joystick
poor customer support
just doesn't feel like a quality product.

2 stars off: 1 for uneven velocity response and weak joystick and 1 for poor customer support.

I wish I got an Akai Pro APC40 Ableton Controller and paired that with my piano, instead of getting this and a launchpad. I would've saved some money and time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Complex, October 2, 2011
It's very good, by all means. The response time is instant, and is has SO many functions. But for me, a more intuitive interface would be better. The autodump function on Live 8 didn't work on this board, and you need the additional software for the board to work at all. Logic gives me all these "error" messages every time I disconnect the board or open Logic without the Novation board connected. Too much fuzz for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Last Novation I buy., March 3, 2012
pianopraze (Kentucky, USA) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:47 Mins

Keyboard is not very responsive for a Fatar, almost returned it because of how bad it is.

The velocity curves are horrible, none of the presets are to my liking and you can't make your own but even if you could...

Some of the keys respond a lot easier and some a lot harder. So if you play same pressure up the keyboard you will get different velocity responses...you have to play some really hard and some really soft to get same velocity sound... pain in the rear to make music with this hardware.

Drum pads are not worth using, why even include them? I think I read you can't even map them but I've not tried because they are so bad.

Software is also a pain in the rear - does not sync or play well with most of my programs. Programming it is a real pain in the rear too - maybe I should have made "pain in the rear" the title for my review. Over all easier to turn off the software auto-map and program it in logic. Definitely not plug and play.

Very disappointed... paid top dollar and got flimsy gimmick.

Don't even bother trying to contact Novation Tech support... there is none, just search internet and you will see lots of horror stories.

If I had to do over I would have bought a different brand.

Novation is on my avoid list now, this is cheap and poorly made. Software is buggy, crashes Logic, and a pain in the rear.

3 Stars because it has more buttons than most and it can be programed (concept is good but software and hardware are horrible), even if it is a pain to make all your own maps. Fix the software Novation for another star.... and yes I downloaded the most recent updates.

Novation 25 SL MkII USB Midi Controller Keyboard 25 Keys