4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but it has its weaknesses.
Overall, this controller offers good value. I've got quite a bit of experience with USB/Midi controllers. I'm a big Ableton Live user, and I use a variety of VST plugins (mostly Native Instruments products) in both home studio and live settings.

Published on February 7, 2012 by DJHogie6578

1.0 out of 5 stars 6 keys down in 8 days
This keyboard has some of the best feeling keys in its class which is why I bought it, unfortunately C2 through F2 stopped responding within 8 days. As I did not want to find out how many keys would fail after 8 months I promptly returned the unit and upgraded considerably to a Yamaha P-255 which sounds amazing and plays like a piano! All of the pads, faders, and knobs...
Published 1 month ago by Michael Bynum

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but it has its weaknesses., February 7, 2012
This review is from: Novation Impulse 61 USB Midi Controller Keyboard, 61 Keys (Electronics)

Strengths: One of the better feeling keybeds I've played at this price point. Obviously not a full weighted piano feel, but very playable with piano vsts. Build quality feels pretty good, and I think it's a nice looking unit. Also, mod wheel and pitch bend wheels have a pretty good feel. Integration / usability is fine...I'm running Windows 7.

Weaknesses: I am not a fan of the faders and knobs on this board. I like the idea of low profile faders (cuts down on the possibility of clipping them off in transport), but the feel is not great, especially on the knobs. I tend to like a little resistance on my knobs, and the knobs on the impulse basically spin almost freely. They feel very cheap. I'm not a fan.

AutoMap: If you're not familiar with automap, it's a software package that allows the use to automatically link the controller to whatever software you're using. This is a quick and easy way to get control over your DAW. I prefer to setup my controls myself, but I can see this being a good feature for some users.

Conclusions: Good features, good value, crappy knobs. If you're going to be doing a lot of tweaking, you might want to look elsewhere. If you want a better than average feeling keybed for this price point, buy an impulse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent MIDI Keyboard Controller, December 2, 2011
This is my second MIDI keyboard. My first one is a very cheap Behringer 49 and I already gave it as a gift to one of my friend. But Impulse 61 is a really fantastic MIDI keyboard + controller.

First, the touch and feeling of the keys are good. The semi-weighted keys are excellent. Besides, pads and keys all have channel aftertouch, so that when you press the key or the pad down, you can push it even harder to create a series of channel aftertouch MIDI events, which is good if your soft-syn can support channel aftertouch.

I use Windows 7 64bit and Sonar X1. I found the Automap 4 is very compatible with Sonar. Only one question is that you have to run Sonar as administrator. If you don't, Automap won't work properly and the keyboard cannot recognize the DAW. If you use other DAWs or use it on Mac, I cannot guarantee it will work perfectly. If you use popular VSTs, such as those from NI, you don't have to configure anything. For other plug-ins, you can create several pages for the mapping of the faders and encoders, so that they can actually control all of your plug-in's parameters. There are two switches to change the controllers from the plug-in mode to mixer mode, and, to traditional MIDI mode.

I bought M-audio's sustain pedal and Alesis F2 expression pedal. Both of them can work perfectly with Impulse. If you want to use expression pedal for this keyboard, make sure to go to the website of Novation to check out which one is compatible, since not every expression pedal will be fully functional when used with Impulse.

Overall, the quality is excellent. It is especially good and suitable when used in a music studio. I only create music at home and never go outside for live performance. 61-keys version may not be good for stage performance, since it is too heavy and bulgy.

4.0 out of 5 stars In depth review..., April 4, 2013
I love the appearance of this controller, with the red accents it looks really cool. It has a very sleek design, but I didn't buy it to look cool. At first, I was displeased with the feel of the hit pads--they felt stiff to me. I thought they would be stiff in their response, too--that they would respond in a restrictive manner--but what I found was that they are remarkably sensitive, and react to varying velocities rather well.

I was attracted to the semi-weighted keys--a feature that a number of manufacturers are offering in controllers of the same price range--and while they do present a more realistic feel for the pianist or someone like me, who is used to playing weighted keys, they are still light enough to zoom up & down, satisfying the synth-lovers out there. In the end, though, they do feel a bit chintzy. The action is loud on them. When playing you can hear the thump of your fingers--even with headphones on.

The faders have a similar problem, they feel a little cheap--lightweight and plastic. The control knobs, on the other hand, are outstanding. They will keep turning, which allows them to affect parameters in your DAW all the way to the top of the range, not halting 80% of the way up, like some do. Overall I am happy with the Novation Impulse, especially for the price, and I love the way the red matches a lot of my studio gear All in all, It is treating me well, and I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice home keyboard, June 26, 2013
James Webb (Wilmer, AL, USA) - See all my reviews
While I wouldn't take the Impulse on the road, for working with my Reason setup it is just about perfect. The drivers do not conflict with my Focusrite Saffire USB audio box, and the included Automap program works well with the devices in Reason (I'm using 7.01). Not quite the keyboard action my Kurzweil was, but then it didn't cost $5000 either...

5.0 out of 5 stars Novation Impluse 61 USB Midi Controller, April 9, 2013
I've had several midi controllers in the past. This being the top of the list. Being a reason/ Ableton user this is a really good controller for such DAWs. S*** Even FL Studio had a pretty solid time with this, only a little mapping required. But it even with FL it was basically a plug-in play situation. In all there's about a five minute driver install and set up but once that's done you really do spend more time making music than trying to get the controller mapped. Being novice (in my mind) in this field of the digital frontier in audio production even individuals with no experience can use this bad boy. Plus if there's any question it has a solid forum and support of YouTube videos to figure well anything out. Also final note on the ups of this product, the after touch is great. Does a great job of replacing the sustain petal. I still bought one for the realism of playing a piano but if you wanna save a few bucks here's the controller for you.

The only thing I would say is if you're trying to find a controller with a grand piano feel to it you maybe disappointed. That being said having semi weighted keys is a hell of a lot better than running naked like I have in the past using a laptop's keys or even a cheap Casio that has no real driver support let alone any weighted feel to it at all. If you want that save your money and get a solid workstation keyboard from Roland or something. But plan on spend at least $500.00 more versus the 350.00 price tag I paid going through Amazon. I knew what I was getting though so not a real "star killer" to me so go for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality MIDI controller with springy keys and pressure sensitive drumpads, December 9, 2012
I looked around at other midi controllers, including M-Audio and Akai; and I felt all three at Gitar Center. I took the Novation home even though It was out for just under a month and didn't have any reviews. I first bought the 49 key version, which I took to exchange for the 61 key version when I realized just how well built this controller was. I have now had it for a year and it is still working with moderate use sitting on my desk.

Pros:
-Pressure sensitive drum pads, which have the ability to be used as an arp or roll a note in your favorite DAW.
-Nice velocity sensitive keys, although springy when played they do not make much noise.
-MIDI In/Out ports on back, use with any other MIDI device; even output to a synth at the same time as your DAW.
-Play, Pause, Stop, Seek and Record buttons that go straight to your favorite DAW.
-Sliders that have Resistance to them so they are not feeling cheap, like other controllers. Sliders also have protection against dust coming in.
-Solos/Mute for the sliders that can be controlled individually (I haven't used that feature so I dont know what it's like).

Cons:
-Automap software doesn't have a preset for FL Studio as far as I seen.
-Keyboard template edit controls are confusing, and the manual does not explain clearly.

It is still functional with FL Studio however since Automap doesn't have a preset, you have to set the keyboard to basic MIDI. You also have to manually set the controls for the sliders and knobs. Automap however does have presets for VSTs, even the lesser known ones.

Overall this is a great keyboard for anyone with a major DAW other than FL Studio. Because Novation didn't include a mapping template for FL Studio like they have for other DAWs, That is my reason to rate this 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Novation Impulse 61: YES!, October 24, 2011
Just wanted to give everyone who's curious about this yet newbee potentially fine value daw series (Impulse became available in 25/45/61 configurations) that, as with all Novation midi controllers, also FULL FEATURES compatibility with Apple operating systems as well as with Sounds On Line, for all its East West instrument software and other primary sound software products-- Novation offers much better support and seemingly longevity than Keystation/Axiom products which I'd previously used and with until I had many problems with three of four keyboards (within moments to weeks to months only--one out of the box disfunctional) until dumping them for The Novation Impulse 61. If it keeps humming along for another year, I'd up its rating to five stars.

P.S. A year has now passed handily with no isssues, nice support (free too) and I've edited my review up to 5 stars from the previous four!

4.0 out of 5 stars product is great - not the packaging for mail, April 8, 2013
My son loves this and has been creating music ever since it came in the door! My only problem is the lack of careful packaging. There was no cover to the box - thus revealing to all who passed by our porch that it was a keyboard. The box itself was open too - not even taped . we are lucky that the wire inside did not fall out.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXECELLENT!!, November 9, 2012
I received this item before time estimated. Every button is functioning properly and pressure sensitivity of the pads and keys are very accurate love them. The continuous knobs are very smooth. The faders are the only controls that seems a bit stiff but still 4 stars in my book.

Sad to say my DVD with all the programs and sound banks got lost. However the programs included are all top notch I know because I have all listed software (Ableton Live, Novation Bass-Station & V-Station) previously to purchasing this items. The preset on Bass-Stations give you many bass presets to choose from. Seeing that my DVD got lost I download the Auto-Map software from Novation website and it install Reason 4 mapping with easy. When trying to install the auto-map mapping with Ableton Live 8 (NOT Essentials) I didn't have the option to select "Novation Impulse" it was not in the list, however this field is only the name of the device which didn't matter as the Impulse drivers are still recognized. It's the same with FLStudio 10.0.2 not listed but driver available. I haven't tried it yest with my Presonus Studio One 2.0.5 as yet but I believe it should be the same as with FL and Love.

In all it works perfect and I will definately buy from Focusrite again.

Oh had to add this in ...My choice was between the Novation Impulse 61 or the Akai MPK61. The Akai had 16 Pads basically having and MPC with you. But what made the Imuplse win was the look of the keys and the built-in arpeggiator option. In the end its your choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sampler great price, October 8, 2012
I was looking for a controller that would both serve as a keyboard controller both for playing keys as well as controlling the mixer. This thing handles that flawlessly, with minimal setup(on the Mac) I can play keys and control recording without having tow switch. I would highly recommend this product. The only negative is that I wish it came in 88 key. However switching between octaves is very simple and can be done with little disruption to your playing.

Novation Impulse 61 USB Midi Controller Keyboard, 61 Keys