The new Novation Launchpad has been jointly designed by Novation and Ableton, integrating instantly and seamlessly to provide a powerful and musical way to physically and visually interact with Ableton Live. Whether you’re a DJ, performing musician or studio producer, Launchpad gives you all you need to truly ‘play' Live. Just load up Live, plug in the Launchpad, and you're ready to roll. With a multi-color 64-button grid and dedicated scene launch buttons, Launchpad is purpose built for triggering and manipulating clips in Live, and it also offers a totally new way of controlling Ableton Live’s mixer. Launchpad's buttons can be used to sketch out beats with drum racks, and they can be assigned to other functions in Live using Ableton's 'Learn' mode. Launchpad ships with a dedicated ‘Launchpad edition’ of Ableton Live 8, but can control almost any other music software using Novation's award-winning 'Automap' control software. Automap provides a customizable display and editing control maps and allows the user to operate the Launchpad as a standard MIDI controller, creating custom MIDI maps with 72 of its buttons transmitting either CC or MIDI note data. Since Novation was born in 1992, the company name has become synonymous with world-class analog modeling synthesizers and unrivalled MIDI controller keyboards and solutions. The product range continues to receive critical acclaim from the music press and win numerous awards for outstanding technology and usability. Fantastic build quality, true musical instrument feel and intuitive controls are just three of the reasons why Novation's digital musical instruments are simply a joy to play.
The compact Novation Launchpad is designed to give electronic music makers the most interactive experience possible in Ableton Live. Jointly designed by Ableton and Novation, Launchpad communicates bi-directionally with the software to give you real-time session feedback. With a multi-color 64-button grid and dedicated scene launch buttons, Launchpad can trigger and manipulate clips in Live as well as provides a totally new way of controlling Ableton Live's mixer. Launchpad's buttons can be used to sketch out beats with drum racks, and they can be assigned to other functions in Live using Ableton's Learn mode.
The 64-button grid and scene launch buttons are ideal for controlling clips and scenes (see larger pop-up image).
Launchpad gets all the power it needs via USB, and you can connect up to six units at once via a USB hub.
The device is bus-powered from a single USB connection, and has a ten-inch square desktop footprint. Rubber feet ensure Launchpad stays secure on the surface on which it's placed, and an optional padded neoprene travel sleeve is available. The Launchpad ships with a dedicated Launchpad edition of Ableton Live 8, but it can also control almost any other music software using Novation's award-winning Automap control software. It's compatible with both Mac OS and Windows operating systems.
- Launch clips and scenes: Launchpad's 64-button grid and dedicated scene launch buttons are ideal for launching and controlling your clips and scenes.
- Innovative control over your mix: Including volume, pans, sends, track arming, soloing and muting. Launchpad lets you jump to different levels across eight channels at once.
- Sketch out beats: Launchpad can be used to play drum racks, creating beats and triggering samples in real time.
- Controlling other functions Launchpad can be used to control other functions using Ableton's 'Learn' mode. This includes Ableton's knobs and faders, which can be assigned to rows of buttons on Launchpad.
- Multiple unit operation: Connect up to 6 Launchpads at a time. Expand your grid with multiple Launchpads, or have one Launchpad dedicated to mixer mode, and the other to launching clips.
- Expand your Ableton control solution: Novation's Automap-enabled controllers work seamlessly together--a ZeRO SL MkII to control the mix, whilst Launchpad triggers clips.
- Automap-enabled: Launchpad can control other DAWs and plug-ins using Novation's Automap control software. Automap can assign controls to software parameters on VST/AU/RTAS/TDM plug-ins by simply clicking on them, and touching a controller.
- See what you're triggering: Automap provides a customizable heads-up transparent display across your computer screen. Ideal for seeing at a glance samples that you're about to trigger.
- QWERTY keyboard shortcuts: Automap PRO, an optional upgrade available to purchase online, lets you assign almost any computer keyboard shortcut, and combinations thereof, to Launchpads buttons.
- Old-school MIDI control: Utilizing Automap, Launchpad can operate as a standard MIDI controller, creating custom MIDI maps with 72 of its buttons transmitting either CC or MIDI note data.
- Flexible trigger platform for Max MSP and Reaktor programmers: Programmers can utilize variable brightness and multi-color LED states to their full advantage when designing new and innovative tools in Max MSP and Reaktor.
- Launchpad and Max for Live: Max is a visual programming environment that allows you to custom build instruments and effects. Launchpad can be used to control these instruments. For example, parameters on Max for Live's step sequencer can be triggered using Launchpad's buttons. Launchpad gives you a huge amount of visual feedback. Multiple colors and brightnesses across different buttons display visual information about whether the note is on, the velocity, note length, pitch, and whatever else you want to see.
What's in the Box
Launchpad, USB cable, DVD-ROM with Ableton Live 8 Launchpad Version (Mac and PC installers) and 1 GB of Loopmaster sample content
- Physical Controls and Indicators:
- 64 (8x8 grid) square multi-color backlit buttons
- 8 round multi-color backlit system buttons (assignable)
- 8 round multi-color backlit function buttons (not assignable)
- Connectivity: USB 1.1
- Mac system requirements: Mac OS X 10.4 or later; Intel Mac or G4 and higher processor
- Windows system requirements: Windows XP or Vista; 1.5 GHz or faster processor; 512 MB of RAM (1 GB recommended)
- Dimensions: 9.45 x 9.45 x 0.79 inches (WxDxH)
- Weight: 25 ounces (1 pound, 9 ounces)