5.0 out of 5 stars Action Packed Book!
This was a very good book. Katie Sullivan was raped,tortured,and left for dead in the Florida Everglades by Ronny Stark a serial killer.She is the only person to ever survive one of Stark's attacks. This attack has made her very paranoid. She
Published on November 17, 2009 by Melvin Hunt

1.0 out of 5 stars This book needs a good editor/proofreader
Published on February 11, 2010 by Ursula Schmidt

5.0 out of 5 stars Action Packed Book!, November 17, 2009
Melvin Hunt (Cleveland,, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: November Rain (Paperback)
sleeps in her clothes with a gun under her pillow. She is watching a friend's house when two Long Beach policemen break in. She promptly kills them both. Before she
escapes she meets Danny Sturgeon. He is a Department of Homeland Security agent who is trying to find Mallory Smith. This is concerning voting machines. She flees to El Paso where she kills a child molesting step father. She next has a spec tacular chase before she finally escapes. She gains ownership of a dog named "Thunder". She finally makes it to New Orleans and locates Mallory Smith. Not far behind is Danny Sturgeon and Ronny Stark. They have formed a partnership to kill each other's enemies. Stark gets into a situation killing a woman in Oregon. They finally find Sullivan and Smith in New Orleans. With Hurricane Katrina blowing in they have a sensational battle. This is a fantastic book. Do not miss it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-Paced and Violent Thriller, May 10, 2013
This review is from: November Rain (Kindle Edition)
I've been working my way through Ken Douglas novels when I'm in the mood for a thriller, and while "November Rain" is not my favorite of his books, due to the sometimes-implausible nature of its plot, it still entertained me and was a solid read.
Katie Sullivan, tortured, raped, and left for dead by serial killer Ronny Stark several years ago, is recovered in body but not in mind--she sleeps in her shoes and clutching a gun, always waiting for him to come back and finish the job. When the moment finally comes and someone breaks into the house where she's sleeping, it's not who she thinks--and before she knows it, she's killed two cops who were actually looking for a woman named Mallory Smith, who the government is targeting based on her knowledge about the Bush-Kerry election.

Katie sets off for New Orleans to warn Mallory and hopefully save her life, picking up a dog named Thunder and killing a child molester along the way, while Ronny teams up with a man named Danny so they can help each other carry out their respective murders.

As in the other Douglas novels I've read, I enjoyed the relationships between women in this novel--how their bravery and loyalty can save the day. I really like how Douglas portrays his women as strong, capable, and confident, instead of clinging vines dependent upon a man to rescue them from whatever evil is stalking them. Ronny Stark was also a chilling and morally disgusting villain, and one who I think will stick in my brain for a while. However, the violence was a little much for me in this one, and, as I said, the plot goes a little beyond the pale sometimes (though I suppose no more so than many of today's action movies).

I would recommend this novel to readers who enjoy suspense and thrillers, especially those with strong female protagonists and a lot of action.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book needs a good editor/proofreader, February 11, 2010
This review is from: November Rain (Paperback)
This is the most ridiculous book I have read in a long time. The plot is so unbelievable, it borders on the stupid. But what bothered me most starting on page one, are all the typos, grammar errors, and other mistakes. When Ronny Stark opens the fridge in Mallory's house after tying the two women up, he finds "a picture of water" in there. Give me a break. And the plural of "woman" is "women", not just once but constantly. And on and on it goes. I find this very distracting, no matter how interesting a book might be. And this one is not all that intriguing. Bootleg Press - you need help!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Suspense, but Hard to Swallow, June 2, 2013
Barbara Cruz (Marlborough, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: November Rain (Paperback)
Katie Sullivan was the only survivor of serial killer Ronny Stark. In the time between him leaving her for dead and the present, she's been moving around, sleeping here and there. Sleeping with her clothes on and a gun under her pillow, waiting for him, because she believes he'll come for her again.

And he does, but the police get to her first, thinking they're going after a terrorist, but they break into the wrong house and as luck would have it for them, bad luck, Katie is asleep on the couch. She shoots two police officers, then makes her escape before Stark can get to her.

Katie finds out who the police were after, a woman named Mallory Smith, who isn't the terrorist the police believed her to be. It turns out she's on the government's hit list because she might know something about the 2004 election. Katie and Mallory team up and now both the government and a serial killer are after them.

Okay, if you're looking for something with lots of action and suspense, this might be the book for you, but the story is kind of hard to swallow. For example, I didn't buy for a second that the US government would try to eliminate someone because they might know about some election shenanigans and the mere fact that Katie is so good with a gun was hard for me to accept. Still if you're looking for a good quick read before bed or something to read on the beach or on a plane and are willing to suspend your disbelief, this book would suffice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thriller, October 30, 2014
This review is from: November Rain (Kindle Edition)
This book has a lot of roller coaster thrills...In one certain part I laughed my ass off...when u read it you'll know why I don't like giving away spoilers..If like thrillers love a good story read this it will have you laughing in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, September 28, 2014
This review is from: November Rain (Kindle Edition)
This is the third Ken Douglas book I've read and I'm off to buy the next one. He keeps me on the edge of my seat wondering what's going to happen next and how the heroine will get out of it. Five stars, I highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Murder and Violence with Plenty of Gun Play, February 8, 2013
V. Irene Vega (Huntington Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: November Rain (Kindle Edition)
My eyes are a little bleary this morning, because I was up all night reading this tale about two women who find themselves in a whole lot of trouble when they run afoul of both Homeland Security and a serial killer.

The story opens with Katie Sullivan asleep on the sofa in a friend's house in Long Beach, California. Katie sleeps in her clothes, with a loaded pistol in her hand because in the past she'd been molested and tortured by serial killer Ronny Stark. She is the only victim of his who survived and Stark has made it his life's work to finish her off. Katie knows this and that's why she sleeps with that pistol.

Homeland Security Agent Danny Sturgeon wants Mallory Smith dead, because he thinks she knows how the 2004 election was rigged to guarantee the president's reelection. However, he's working off the books, so he recruits two local cops to take her out. He thinks his plan is foolproof, but he gets the street wrong and the cops burst in on Katie instead of Mallory and Katie shoots them dead.

When Katie sees she's killed cops, she knows she has to get out of town, but first she searches the bodies and finds Mallory Smith's address on one of them. She realizes the cop's error and also realizes it won't be long before others will come gunning for Ms. Smith, so she decides to find the woman and warn her.

And thus begins a story of murder and violence with plenty of gun play and chase scenes. Now throw in a lovable dog and a hurricane and you have a story to die for.

My only quibble with the story is that it was a little too far out there. I did have to push my imagination. Katie was just a little too super human. Still, I did like the book a lot and I will be going on to more by the author.

November Rain
November Rain by Ken Douglas (Paperback - June 29, 2009)
$14.99 $13.21