Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 5, 2011
Let me start off by saying that I actually love to cook, so I was excited to get a book that had new, healthier recipes for me to make. I saw Rocco promoting the book on Chelsea Lately and eagerly ordered it on Amazon. However, the positive outlook waned very quickly, starting with my first trip to the supermarket. I had to go to 3 different stores to get the obscure ingredients required (and still couldn't find everything), and spent approximately $250 on new stuff. For example, whole wheat non-bromated pastry flour is $5.69 vs. $0.99 for regular. Multiply this by several different ingredients that I didn't have in my kitchen, and you can see how it adds up quickly. But I sucked it up thinking it was a necessary cost to make this plan work and lose weight.

The first thing I made was the red velvet bars, which were horrible and formed a layer of oil on top of them overnight. Pretty much every dessert was terrible and had a strange texture. Cookies were so wet that they couldn't hold a shape to bake, and the lemon bars were incredibly sour and artificial tasting. The dish I was looking forward to most was the mac & cheese, one of my weaknesses. I happily tried making the recipe from the book, and it was absolutely disgusting. I threw it all in the trash, after spending a lot of time preparing and baking it. Most of the recipes in this book require a ton of ingredients, and the steps are a bit convoluted. If you don't pay attention, you'll use every bowl and pot in the house! The steps can definitely be simplified.

In the end, I got frustrated and simply gave up. I was tired of wasting time and money to make recipes that I threw in the trash after one bite. Despite all of this, there were a few really good recipes that I'll add to my repertoire: pesto chicken pasta, rocky road oatmeal, and chicken almondine. Coincidentally, these are the simplest recipes that used the most normal ingredients. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend this book.
22 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2011
This is a cookbook you can actually read and learn a lot about diet and nutrition. That is why it is technically a "diet book" that happens to have awesome recipes in it. The pictures in the book are great and it really can change the way you think about cooking and eating. I may lose 10lbs in 6 weeks, but over time I think the effect of books like these could be much much more.

Oh, and this book has no artificial sweeteners, which is great because I am NOT a fan of them.

I never knew that if you are 10lbs overweight, it can cut 3 years off your life!
44 comments|124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2011
Received my copy yesterday and dived right in to make the "No-Boil Mushroom Lasagna." Not only was it quick to make, I was surprised to see that a single serving was a yummy 388 calories versus who knows how scary the actual caloric number is. Was able to thumb through the actual text of the book and I must say that I'm looking forward to cooking these meals. I think it's important to note that you shouldn't get fooled by the word "diet" in the title - if anything, this book is all about teaching you how to eat/cook healthier for your well-being.
on April 10, 2011
I'm actually disappointed, and am preparing to ship back.
LOVE Rocco, but I wish that instead of highlighting how many "fat" grams there are per recipe, he'd focus on how many "sugar" grams there are. He seems to think that consuming dietary fat makes us fat, whereas it's our SUGAR consumption (from refined carbs) that makes us fat. Usually if a product is labeled, "low fat" or "no fat", they replace it with additives (many cases, sugar) to make it taste good. I don't agree with his idea of using all of these low fat substitutes..it's not necessary. It's "trans" fat we need to avoid, and that's primarily in "processed" foods. No need to eliminate EGGS either...they're actually very GOOD for us, rather than processed liquid eggs which God knows what's in them besides egg whites! Dietary cholesterol does not raise serum cholesterol levels....SUGARS do. I agree with using Stevia as a sugar substitute and agave in moderation(it still spikes insulin levels!) Years ago I lost weight on the Sugar Busters diet....lost the book, but just reordered it..it seemed to be the only diet book that "made sense". There are very easy recipes, simple foods, nothing fancy, and the best thing about it is that there are NO COUNTING CALORIES. No counting of ANYthing! I did lose 25 lbs on it in three months...not by cutting out dietary fats,but by cutting out refined carbs. And I had to drink my OJ a half hour before breakfast..that was the most difficult aspect to get used to, but it worked.
Sorry Rocco, love ya! And you're not bad to look at,but I have to send your book back. OR I may keep it just to look at your pics! :-)
1616 comments|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2011
In this sequel to the 2010 book Now Eat This!, Rocco shares his expertise on how to live healthier lives by adjusting our eating habits. The book is structured to help individuals create an appetizing meal plan using a wide variety of food choices. The healthy recipes included in this book truly showcase Rocco's talent in the kitchen. He has somehow managed to re-create dozens of traditionally unhealthy meals into a healthy alternative that maintains all the flavors we love. I completely recommend this book for anyone seeking a healthier and happier lifestyle.
on May 20, 2011
I do not like this book. The food in the pictures look so good, but the amount of ingredients you need to make one dish is insane. Especially for the desserts. I have bought so many new ingredients that I will never use again, and I still don't have all of the ingredients to make the dish I bought the first ingredients for. Too complicated for anyone thinking his recipes will be fast and simple. thanks,
on October 3, 2011
So this book has a lot of great ideas, but it is very hard to stick to. First off, you have to find a store that sells all of the things you need ingredient wise. (Not as easy as some people would like you to believe.) Then there is the fact that, if you have any sort of diet restrictions, its hard to figure out how to substitute. I don't eat meat do to digestive troubles, same for dairy, so it's been fun trying to tweak the recipes.

NOW, that being said, there are some great recipes in here, and if you can find the weirder ingredients, its fun to taste them. I'd probably opt for another one of his "Eat This" books and not necessarily the diet one. I mean, a lot of this book is dedicated to lifestyle, but most of us KNOW the lifestyle choices we have to change, and just want the yummy food that makes that possible!
on April 1, 2011
I returned this book "ROCCO NOW EAT THIS DIET" because it has mostly DIET ingredients~such as 'sugar-free' ~~'non-fat'~~'reduced-fat'~~'egg substitute'~~'calorie-free'~'low-fat cheese' etc. in every recipe.
And since I cannot use the 'sugar substitutes'in diet foods and diet sodas and diet ice cream etc.~~ because they give me diarrhea, I am sorry to say that this book was useless for me.

The book that DOES work for me is "COOK THIS NOT THAT" by David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding.
They have several books and I have purchased three of them: (from Amazon.com)
1. The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution
2. Kitchen Survival Guide
3. Easy & Awesome 350-Calorie Meals
Love all three of these... if you only purchase one of these...I found I use the "Easy & Awesome 350-Calorie Meals" book every day.
So, if you want to enjoy delicious food while losing weight quickly, safely, and effectively~~this is the book for you...all real food...real meat, real cheese, real butter, great produce and perfect portions.
These books are the right size (6.50" X 6.50") and very easy to read and full of colored pictures.

I found Rocco's Book very hard to follow (way too much information and lots of reading and searching for menus) and did NOT even enjoy the flavor of his dishes.
In Cook This Not That book, I wish I could tell you which recipe is my favorite~~but I can't because I have enjoyed EVERY recipe that I have made, so far--and the book has 337 pages of recipes!!!

Hope this information will help you decide what is best book for you.

Also,I might add that "Rocco" wants you to keep your meals at 1,200 calories per day....and "Cook This Not That" is soooo easy since EVERY recipe is not over 350 calories...and are all awesome!!
So, you can do the math and choose your favorite recipes. Enjoy, TJ
77 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2011
I love this man - and no, not just because he's adorable!! His healthy recipes and new take on comfort foods have gotten me & my fiancee so excited that we tell everyone about him and have bought his first book for quite a few of our friends. We've never cooked so many recipes from one book until his last book came out - every one was amazing so we just kept going and got pretty extensively through the book!

We've just purchased loads of groceries to try out the new book's amazing-looking recipes. And I already love the health facts and diet plans. As for the written part, this book has loads of interesting facts and tips and he managed to step it up in terms of recipe choices.

Go Rocco! Another great recipe book :)
on July 6, 2011
Fabulous cookbook, introduced to me by my sister when she visited. We cooked every night she was here, and made one dinner each nite for the table and one for the freezer. We never felt deprived that we were giving up restaurant dinners.

I was so impressed with the book that I bought one for myself and then for each of my two grown daughters. My new son-in-law fell in love with one of the soups. The mushroom lasagna is to DIE for. Eggplant and Roasted Red Pepper Torta looks like it came out of the kitchen of a hip restaurant in Tribeca, and tasted amazing. I made it three nights in a row. It became my newest addiciton.

The recipes are terrific, and so pretty that the food looks like someone else made it! I've never been much of a cook, but Rocco's turning me into a chef!

Three thumbs up for this one :-) (And isn't he gorgeous)?