Now That's What I Call Music! 17
Price:$19.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews (2 star)show all reviews
on December 14, 2004
Format: Audio CD
I bought a NOW CD about 4 years ago. That was the last one I bought. It was fairly good, too. Since then, I have began a renaissance in my musical tastes and no longer favor repetitive music without much diversity. One of the few songs I would actually enjoy on this CD are Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out." It's unusual, but definetly a song one can recognize ten years from now. Not many are going to remember Nelly, from Chingy to JZ. There was a time rap music was cool for me, but that was almost 10 years ago, since then only a few songs a year attract me, but after that I can't hear the difference between one rap song from another. It unfortunatly has become too mainstream and copy-cat.

I will also note Blacked Eyed Peas being a stand out on the CD. Clearly, the others would be considered filler for most other CD's. Kids ages 12-18 may think this is the best now, but just wait ten years from now (or maybe even 1 year!) and they'll hardly remember some of these artists.

Thank goodness I grew up in the mid to late 80's so I could be exposed to music that still was diverse in it's ways. Back in the early 90's I detested 80's music, now I can't seem to love it more. For me, 50's, 60's & 70's was my classic music, the "golden oldies". Today, 80's is classic to kids growing up. Thank goodness kids today can appreciate at least part of the cleverness the 80's music had to offer.

Well, anyway, kids.. I'm only 22, but boy, music has changed soooo much even since I've grown up. Please, don't buy this CD. This is stuff you can listen to on the radio over and over again. Please ask mom and pop what kind of music they listened to. Who knows, you may like it!
on January 22, 2005
Format: Audio CD
1. Black Eyed Peas:Let's Get it Started- Like it, don't love it, it's sort of overplayed. 4/5
2.Terror Squad feat. Fat Joe & Remy: Lean Back- I'm not a big fan of rap but I like when they say "Lean Back"2/5
3.Ciara feat. Petey Pablo:Goodies- I only like when Ciara sings 3/5
4. Houston feat. Chingy, Nate Dogg and 1-20:I Like That- I dunno why I like this song!?
5.Beastie Boys: Ch-Check It Out-I HATE this song!! 0/5
6. Nelly feat. Jaheim: My Place- CHEESY!!! 2/5
7. Lil' Flip Feat. Lea: My Place- Same as My Place
8. J-KWON: You&Me- Dumb 2/5
9.Jadakiss Feat. Anthony Hamilton:Why- Aaarrrrggggg!! So many ?'s 1/5
10.Akon feat. Styles P: Locked Up-OK 2/5
11. JoJo: Baby it's You- Average, I still like Leave(Get Out) better 2/5
12. Jessica Simpson: Angels-Could she get any more ditzier?? I hate when she screams!! 1/5
13. Finger Eleven:One Thing- Like it 3/5
14. Switchfoot: Dare You To Move- Good 3/5
15. Crossfade:Cold- It Grows on You
16. Ashlee Simpson:Pieces of Me- WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY OVERPLAYED!! 1/5
17. Franz Ferdinand: Take Me Out- GOD, I LOVE THIS SONG 5/5!!!!
18. Bowling for Soup: 1985-Love the lyrics 5/5!!!!
19. Gretchen Wilson: Here for the Party-Gretchen was there for the party but no one else was!!! [...] 0/5
20. Keith Urban: Days Go By- Well Duh Days go by, are you a friggin' retard??? Opps,you are!!!!! [...]FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 0/5

[...]
Format: Audio CD
Man, does it suck!! Too many songs that were too new, and some old! And there's no 1, 2 Step- Ciara?! WTF! A lot of unknown newcomers too (Frickin' A, Howie Day) Well, Howie Day is known, but he's not really mainstreem.

SBS analysis:

1. U2- Vertigo: Ehh, it was good when it came out, way too overplayed though. B

2. Gwen Stefani- What You Watin' For: A bit overplayed too, still awesome. Ignorant people NEED to quit bashing Love Angel Music Baby just because it doesn't have the "No Doubt sound." IT'S HER DOING HER OWN THING, NOT HER BAND MEMBERS AND HER. A-

3. Lindsay Lohan- Rumors: They could've replaced this with Ciara, this flopped too much. Lindsay sucks at singing, too, she's a lyp-syncher, dammit! At least she's hawt. C-

4. Snoop Dogg- Drop it Like It's Hot: Also really overplayed. I like the beat though, somethin' new for The Neptunes. Snoop is good as a lot too. Pharrel's line "Whiter than what's spillin' down ya throat" kinda ruins it though. B-

5. Destiny's Child ft. Lil Wayne/TI- Soldier: A WTF kinda song by DC. What happened them being from independent women to wanting a soldier or a homie? I hope it's a joke. TI & Lil Wayne don't help anything, either. D

6. Ashanti- Only U: Glad they finally added an Ashanti song off any of her albums on a Now. Catchy chorus with an awesome violin/air guitar intro by ???. A

7. Chingy- Balla Baby: Annoying as hell. Chingy's gotten real annoying over the past year. Nelly is a lot better! The video is funny though. He just shouldn't have left DTP. D+

8. John Legend- Used To Love U: I like John Legend, but this wasn't really big or good to be on here. I know it might've been a little early, but they could've used Ordinary People since it's blowing up now. Oh, and that "Olah, olah, olah!" thing on UTLU always drived me crazy. C+

9. Nelly ft. Tim McGraw- Over & Over: I loved this song dearly at first, but why the hell did pretty much EVERY station have to totally kill it?! Idiots! B

10. Frankie J ft. Baby Bash- Obsession (Es No Amor): A little too new for here too, but it's blowin steam on the chats. So I guess that can't be bad. B+

11. Omarion- O: Pitiful. Omarion tryin' to cuss like he's cool makes the song worse. I've never been a fan of B2K that much, so I don't think any other single he releases will be too good either. D+

12. Howie Day- Collide: Haven't heard it yet. Will come back when I have. N/A

13. Hoobastank- Disappear: Another minor hit for Hoob, sadly, but at least it tried to get to the top 15. Much better than the horribly overkilled The Reason. Not as good as Out of Control or Same Direction or any single from S/T though. Still awesoeme. A-

14. Chevelle- Vitiman R: I also loved this a lot at first, too bad most rock radio really overplayed/overkilled it. Not as much as they overkilled Over & Over though. B+

15. Three Days Grace- Home: It was alright at first, but it slowly turned into a fad for me. Three Days Grace is just another angsty fad group. Breaking Benjamin should be Now staples instead of 3DG. C+

16. Lenny Kravitz- Lady: Glad Lenny had at least 1 more hit from Baptizim. This one is pretty catchy, but has pretty childish lyrics about girls. Try to make a better one like this next time, Lenny! B

17. Good Charlotte- I Just Wanna Live: Also pretty annoying with them trying to do another Lifestyles. The high-pitched voiced chorus makes it unlistenable. The video is stupidly funny, again, though. D+

18. Frickin' A - Jessie's Girl: See Howie Day. N/A

19. Skye Sweetnam- Tangeled Up in Me: A little old, Now 17 material. Could've used 3 Doors Down- Let Me Go instead. This little girl's vocals are annoying too, trying to imitate Avril & Fefe, since she's also canadian. B-

20. Keith Urban- You're My Better Half: Also catchy, but dumb. Keith Urban is one of the only good country artists out today. B+

The Good: Ashanti, U2, Gwen Stefani, Hoobastank, Chevelle, Frankie J, Nelly

The Bad: Lindsay Lohan, Omarion, Chingy, GC, Destiny's Child, 3DG

The Missing: Ciara, 3 Doors Down, Ja Rule, Green Day, Blink, Usher, J. Lo

Overall: The worst NOW yet, don't buy it. Just D/L the good songs.
on November 3, 2004
NOW 17:

1. Black-Eyed Peas, Let's Get It Started: The best single from Elephunk, this one is the most like vintage BEP, albeit with a rap-rock twist. (A-)

2. Fat Jon feat. Terror Squad: Despite the half-decent beat, the rap is annoying and the lyrical content is pathetic, even for a dance song. (C-)

3. Ciara feat. Petey Pablo, Goodies: The incredibly dull crunk production is almost excruciating, as well as Petey Pablo's overlong appearance, although the song is parcially redeemed by Ciara's odd vocal stylings. (C)

4. Houston feat. Chingy, Nate Dogg & I-20, I Like That: Dull, annoying junk that has no seeming purpose but to be relentlessly overplayed by gigantic radio corporations. Even the usually reliable Nate Dogg is unbearable. (F+)

5. Beastie Boys, Ch-Check It Out: The next Hey Ya!. This single, while one of the year's best, came out in MAY. Still, the music is addictive, the lyrics hillarious, and overall this is a delicious slice of Beastie for the new millenium. (A)

6. Nelly feat. Jaheim, My Place: It's a nice effort, but it sounds like a worse cousin of his collaboration with Kelly Rowland, "Dilemma". (C+)

7. Lil' Flip, Sunshine: Harmless, dull rap duet that is so far removed from rap's original statement you might as well compare it to, say, Bow Wow. (D+)

8. J-Kwon, You And Me: More beat does not mean more memorable for rapper J-Kwon, here displayed on a track that I don't even believe is a current single, much less a #1 hit. The song is even duller than his previous, Tipsy, that single at least having the advantage of being a grower. (D)

9. Jadakiss feat. Anthony Hamilton, Why?: Sharp lyrical content set to a decent track, though this is really a protest song. Jada's single also by far has the best one-liners out of any song on NOW 17. (B+)

10. Akon feat. Styles P, Locked Up: Despite not charting, this song is a wonderful Urban lament, with surprisingly good vocals from some guy I had never heard of before. (B+)

11. JoJo, Baby It's You: The lyrics are sickly-sweet, the music is sickly-sweet, the vocals are sickly-sweet. The musical equivalent to choking on powdered sugar. (D)

12. Jessica Simpson, Angels: Despite not coming anywhere near the classic vocal performance of the Robbie Williams original, Jessica is saved merely by doing a faithful rendition of a current favorite. (B+)

13. Finger Eleven, One Thing: Amazingly dull song that can't decide whether it wants to be a bad Modern Rock single or a bad Adult Contemporary single. It also features some ugly blokes from Canada, and I know Canada ought to know better. (C+)

14. Switchfoot, Dare You To Move: Catchy, well sung inspirational song that is performing well on the Hot 100. Good for them. (B+)

15. Crossfade, Cold: Mind-numbingly irritating song with generic verses leading to an outrageously predictable chorus. If putting on faceless modern-rock bands, why not opt for GodSmack at the very least? (D+)

16. Ashlee Simpson, Pieces Of Me: Just like everyone else, it's impossible for me not to like this song, despite it being the very pinnacle of the evil, brainwashing corporate Hillary Duff-style teenybopper junk. But it's destructively hooky. We all know it sucks, but I can't change the radio when it's on anyway. (B)

17. Franz Ferdinand, Take Me Out: Another great single from the Franz, this one the biggest radio hit, expanding into the pop charts as well. The mini song at the beginning resembles The Strokes' "Reptilia", and the big draw is jumbled but mindlessly singalong anyway. (A-)

18. Bowling For Soup, 1985: Despite wonderfully cheeky lyrics, this song comes off very much as a Fountains Of Wayne song covered by Busted. Not a great thing. (B-)

19. Gretchen Wilson, Here For The Party: A redneck abomination that sounds like a 30-something woman acting like she's 24. The riff is a major turn-off. (F)

20. Keith Urban, Days Go By: Generic country with just the right pace and likeability to make a difference. (B+)

MIA: Green Day, Usher, Modest Mouse, Lenny Kravitz, Snow Patrol, Kanye West, Velvet Revolver, Maroon5, Big & Rich, Eminem, U2.
on November 28, 2004
Format: Audio CD
I can't believe the tracks on this CD. Out of 20, I probably enjoy 5 of those and would listen to them again. As for the rest of the tracks, they are completely forgettable. Why would they put the Beastie Boys on here? Most of the songs are overplayed on here, not to mention horrible sounding. Save your money. The best track is Let's Get It Started, but the overplaying spoils things, unfortunately. Oh yes, and Locked Up is also worth mentioning.
on November 29, 2004
Format: Audio CD
YeS! Finally all the over played songs on the radio are finally on one cd! Wow, as if it wasnt enough that MTV is making my music choices for me, they now give all the [...] you were sick of already so you can listen to it until the songs aren't popular anymore so then i can eagerly wait for the next Now CD by the time in sick of all the crappy singles they put on it!
on November 4, 2004
Format: Audio CD
Oh my gosh!!! Sure, Now 17 is including a lot of today's "hottest hits" but haven't they noticed that today's hottest hits are getting crappier and crappier? The NOW people are getting hyponitzed into thinking that as long as they include today's hottest tracks, the CD will be cool. That's not the case...

The Black Eyed Peas' "Lets Get it Started" is a good song with a beat that'll wanna make you dance, but "Lean Back" has no meaning, no beat, no nothing... but some horrible lyrics and a dumb hip-hop beat.

Ciara's "Goodies" seems very bland the 1st time you hear it but somehow how get hypnotized into liking the song greatly after listening to it a couple of times. Not the same with Houston's "I Like That" You just start hating the song more and more each time you hear it... Not to mention that Beastie Boy's "Ch, Check it Out" is a horrible comeback song.

"My Place" by Nelly is one of the few good songs Nelly has ever sung before. With a good tune and a smooth voice Jaheim singing in the chorus, you'll be sure to love this song. Not the same with Lil'Flip's "Sunshine", J-Kwon's "You&Me" and "why" by Jadakiss. They have annoying chorus's with bland voices and horrible tunes... yet i just don't know why i always get the tunes stuck in my head all the time.

Jojo's "Baby It's You" is too poppy to be pop. She's leaning towards the Britney Spears side. You should know better JOJO!!!! Lean towards Jessica Simpson's side because she has great vocals and a great smile. Her talented voice shines brghtly in "Angels" an awesome song.

I don't get why Finger Eleven's "One Thing" is getting so much praise... it's such a boring song. I fall asleep to it everytime I hear it. "Dare You to Move" is a song by Switchfoot that just has something that makes you love the song. Unlike Dare You to Move, Crossfade's "Cold" is too rocky and you will have no idea whatsoever to what their saying in the song. It's getting much airplay on VH1 though.

Ashlee Simpson's "Pieces of Me" gets SO boring after a few listens that you can't help but to just switch it to her sister, Jessica Simpson's song, "Angels."

Franz Ferdinand has no talent whatsoever but somehow is making it big in America. But it figures because all the artists with no talent get all of the praises. Bowling for Soup's "1985" is a cool song, though. It relieves your stress and makes you laugh. It's a good song that reminds me of Stacy's Mom.

Why is country on the CD?! Gretchen Wilson needs to get off to and head to a country mix CD, and so does Keith Urban, because this is just not gonna work!!!

There you have it out the 20 "huge hits" my only favorite's are Let's get it started, goodies, my place, angels, dare you to move and 1985.

Better luck composing a GOOD CD NOW!!!!
on January 27, 2005
Format: Audio CD
these songs ranging from summer of 2004 to fall of the same year suck!!!!! there are a few songs that hit hard but still suck i.e. 'goodies', and 'sunshine'...

i hate to say it but 'pieces of me' 'take me out' 'angels' and 'lets get it started' were the best songs that came out those months...

but NOW 18 should come back and take over... basically it is the same artist but different songs....

they better put destiny's child, the game, lindsay lohan, gwen stefani, 50 cent, jesse mccarthy, and ciara on this disc...

do better this next time...
on April 9, 2005
Format: Audio CD
I really didn't like this CD at all. The BEP song at the beginning is fun, but the rest of the CD is cloaked in "sameness" until the mellow music at the end. This CD appears to be an attempt to try to appeal to everyone. However, in doing so, I think most people will find one or two pieces on it worth listening to more than once and ignore the rest. This may be a factor in current music culture but I did find the majority of the CD heavy on rap.
on November 11, 2004
Format: Audio CD
Does anybody besides me think that the Now That's What I Call Music CDs are going the the dogs? Now they consist of BAD rap/R&B songs and the occasional pop junk. Since when was 2004 all about awful songs?? SINCE WHEN WAS THE 21ST CENTURY THE CENTURY OF STUPID POP AND RAP SONGS?? What this CD should have had was BETTER songs, like American Idiot by Green Day and Somebody Told Me by The Killers. And come on, JESSICA SIMPSON?? The last thing we need is more mindless love songs pounded into our heads. Much less covers of songs. Can't she be ORIGINAL for a change? The only reason I gave this two stars was that I like 1985, Take Me Out, and Dare You To Move. Let's Get it started and One Thing are fairly decent songs, but they're overplayed and get quite annoying. The rest is just JUNK. Unless you're an absolute rap/pop fanatic and like every rap/pop song created. If not, I don't really recommend this.