Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Now Voyager
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$9.49

Barry Gibb's landmark album, "Now, Voyager" from 1984 is a masterpiece. Sadly, MCA did nothing to promote it and it barely charted. The top 40 hit "Shine Shine" was to be followed by the white rap "Fine Line", but without the help of the producers, this fantastic Gibb project was lost. The duet, "Face To Face" with Olivia Newton-John was released as a single, but went nowhere, unfortunately. There are some truly inventive R&B songs here including the, bouncy `call-response' vocals of "Shatterproof" and the frantic paced work on "Temptation". "She Says" harkens back to the Streisand ballad days and "One Night (For Lovers)" received great FM airplay for its sultry sexiness. Only one song contains the songwriting skills of all three brothers and "The Hunter" is a dramatic and eclectic piece of drama that nicely finishes the album.

This CD will be re-released in late 2005 with a different cover!
on July 9, 2004
Voyager seems to be the only solo album of Barry Gibb! He actually recorded three, one is unreleased, recorded after Cucumber Castle. The other two are Voyager and Hawks. Voyager was later produced as a film.
This CD is no longer available elsewhere in the world, so better buy a used one!
on July 26, 2005
Barry Gibb's 1984 album Now Voyager is one album I still remember. It's very dynamic pop, adventurous in most places. Several songs are still in my head such as She Says, Face to Face with Olivia Newton-John, Shine Shine, and other songs. The standout on here is the very addictive I am Your Driver, which makes you feel like you're on an airplane when you hear it. It has such a nice midtempo dance groove to it, with cool sounding keyboards. I am pleased that Universal is rereleasing the album in December 2005 since it has been out of print for a long time.This is one of Barry's best solo albums and he still continues being a strong songwriter on here. He is a master at writing catchy and melodic pop songs and Now Voyager proved that he could make good songs after the Bee Gees' massive late '70s peak.
on January 20, 2012
I just finished listening to the album and watching the film produced along side it back in 1984 and I loved it! I knew Barry had recorded several solo albums, however, none had been released until this one and later on the "Hawks" LP which contained the songs previously recorded for the "Midnight Madness" solo project never released. Barry has always been one all time greatest producers, singers and songwriters. His songs are every bit as good as any I've heard and the material he's produced is truly legendary. I had always hoped he would not only record but actually release a solo album.

"Now Voyager" is a wish come true and I was pleasantly surprised by the material, the songs have all the qualities we've come to know and love. He deals with love, romance, betrayal, fears, doubt and triumph all with wonderfully crafted Jazz influenced melodies. His vocals are majestic as ever and he really shows off his range, both the low and high end, on this record. There's a gorgeous duet with Olivia Newton-John, whose another singer with an angelic voice titled "Face to Face" that's worth the price of the album by itself. The music has that early 80's feel but as I said with a strong Jazz influence and I really love how he pulls it off.

There are also the wonderful ballads written and sung as only Barry can and a caribbean flavored tune "Shine Shine" that really has an awesome groove to it and the video for it is outstanding and one of the best filmed for the record. This is truly a great and fun album and it appears that Barry had a blast recording and filming it. I highly recommend both album and video if you can find them. You won't be disappointed with this fine effort by one of music's truest poets and vocalists.

Great Job Barry!
on April 25, 2013
I remember buying the VHS back in the late 80's or early 90's. I loved the songs. From a fast "Fine Line" to a beautiful duet with Olivia Newton John on "Face to Face" there is a huge diversity of sounds. "Shine Shine" doesn't disappoint as well. When I heard this one again after years of trying to find it I couldn't believe how much better it really was than I thought! Not as much falsetto than I am used to hearing on a lot of the disco songs. Very beautiful sounds and voice by Barry and his guests on the album.

I'd say anyone who loves Bee Gees music, Barry Gibb, or Robin Gibb solos should pick this one up!
on June 19, 2012
This cd came within the time frame given and customer service was very good.

I am so glad I bought this cd, I love it! I was unsure whether I wanted this cd since Barry is singing without his brothers but I am really impressed, the songs are great. I am a fan of all of the Gibb brothers but I don't understand how this didn't do well, or at least I have heard it didn't. Barry definitely showed on this cd that he can sing even with out his brothers.
on September 3, 2013
It arrived promptly, in the time expected, and was packaged well, so was in perfect shape when I removed it--the cassette tape plays exactly as it should, just the way you expect a brand new tape to play--I love all of Barry Gibb's work, as well as that of his late brothers, Maurice, and Robin, who together, made up the nearly-magical singing/songwriting group known as the Bee Gees--as well as that of their talented younger brother, who passed away so very young, named Andy Gibb--so, for me, having this album arrive in near-perfect working order was extremely important--and, it did--so, thank you, Amazon.com.:)
on December 30, 2014
This is One of My Favorite CDS!!!!!! I own this on LP AND I HAVE THE VIDEO VERSION!!!!!!!! I highly reccommend the CD and the Video which is an Actual Movie that tells a Story with his Music I Love watching it!!!!!! A must have!!!!!!!!!!
Barry Gibb's 1984 set "Now Voyager" is well worth seeking. It opens with the addictive "I Am Your Driver" with race car rumbling that breaks into a throbbing beat, "We got a green light, hang on tight." "Fine Line" follows with a driving synth beat and Barry's voice in perpetual bounce, "My heart is a part of the plans you made; You're the star of my sexual fantasy." "Lesson in Love" also sparkles with its undulation underpinning a song of blatant desire, "All God's children need someone to love & you know I found mine." "She Says" has a soft airy Gibb vocal with a darker lyric about a love triangle, "She says she loves me & you say you don't; And life has no meaning if you won't." "Now Voyager" is a delightful blast from the past, one I found belatedly, but well worth discovering! Enjoy!
on December 27, 2012
This is a remarkable CD -- the songs hold up well but still retain their 80s flavor. Gibb can be funky ("I am Your Driver") or mellow and seductive (Face-to-Face). He can even rap a bit (Fine Line).

I would recommend this album to anyone who loves the BeeGees, to someone who likes curious lyrics, someone who likes the 80's and early 90's music.

It's a fun and even nostalgic collection.