5.0 out of 5 stars fine inspirational contemporary drama
In Pickwick, North Carolina, when Maggie was a teen she was wild and out of control who never said no to her boyfriends until she got pregnant. Having a child changed Maggie who turned to Christianity for help as a single mom raising a kid alone out of wedlock in "Nowhere", Carolina as she calls her hometown.

Maggie never bothered to learn who sired Devyn...
Published on May 22, 2010 by Harriet Klausner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but overall frustrating
Published on July 15, 2011 by Courtney

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars fine inspirational contemporary drama, May 22, 2010
This review is from: Nowhere, Carolina: A Novel (Southern Discomfort) (Paperback)

Maggie never bothered to learn who sired Devyn although there were three candidates; two still living in town. Her attitude changes when the third, her high school sweetheart Reece Thorpe, returns to their hometown. Fearing one or more of the male candidates might pursue a paternity custody suit and now obsessed with a need to know, she prays Reece is the one because she still loves him. Maggie serendipitously obtains DNA samples of the trio to find out who is Devyn's dad.

The second Southern Discomfort inspirational contemporary drama (see Leaving Carolina for Maggie's cousin Piper's saga) is an enjoyable tale starring a wonderful small town cast. Character driven by the overly obstinate Maggie and her relationships with the possible biological fathers, fans of Three Men and a Baby with a religious spin will want to visit Nowhere, Carolina.

Harriet Klausner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but overall frustrating, July 15, 2011
I just finished book one in the series and immediately started on book two, Nowhere Carolina. Nowhere Carolina is about Piper's cousin Maggie and her daughter Devyn. Maggie became a mom right after her high school graduation and is struggling to raise her pre-teen daughter especially sense Devyn is starting to ask who her daddy is. Maggie is worried the past is going to come bite her in the tooshy when her old flame Reece shows up in town to help Uncle Obe build the sculpture.

Nowhere Carolina was my least favorite book of this series and might even be my least favorite book of Leigh all time! The most frustrating part of this book is relating to Maggie, the main character. I was so frustrated with the way she was handling the issues with her daughter Devyn, her past and ex-boyfriend from high school Reece. It took way too long for her to learn from her mistakes and to act like a grown-up instead of a selfish-teenager. It bothers me how Maggie tries to do solve her problems as indirectly as possible.

I am also pretty disappointed in the romance. I didn't feel like the romance was all that great, there wasn't much of a connection formed and I really found myself thinking "who cares" by the end of the book! I almost put the book down about half way through but I was planning on starting the next book in the series for the purpose of a blog tour and really wanted to finish it!

I did finish it but I didn't enjoy most of it! The most enjoyable thing of this story is the side-stories that go on! I liked hearing how Uncle Obe was doing, and Trinity and all the other characters as well.

This is a great story about redemption and turning our sins into blessings. I just wish Maggie would have come to this conclusion way sooner!

4.0 out of 5 stars this book goes SOMEWHERE!!, April 12, 2011
This is an outlandish Southern comedic-drama that is penned in Tamara Leigh's signature first-person narrative that will have you chortling in a most unladylike way. Uncle Obe (who is my favourite character in this Souther Discomfort series) is up to his usual not-so-subtle matchmaking that places Maggie in a precarious position with her daughter and her former high school sweetheart.

The message of this story is that your past does not define your future when Christ is at the helm of your life. Maggie has to come to terms with the fact that the truth, no matter how shameful, must be confronted head-on. The dysfunctional and quirky Pickwick family members not only entertain, but teach us about life through their misadventures, foot-in-mouth decelerations, and reformations.

At the end of this book I was left wanting more. The conclusion is not typical of inspirational romances so I am hoping that their story line is brought full circle in the next installment which follows Bridget's storyline.

Review: 8/10

First reviewed here:[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars a page-turning story of romance, forgiveness and freedom born of truth, July 12, 2010
FaithfulReader.com (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
Twelve years ago, Maggie Pickwick was a high school cheerleader with a self-centered heart, a head of flaming red hair, and a face and body that turned all the boys' heads. In short, the popular girl --- so popular, in fact, that she graduated in maternity clothes. By summer's end, Maggie was a single teenaged mom with a baby girl, living in a small town and wondering which of three boys might be her baby's father. Though present-day Maggie still doesn't know the answer, she does know the love of God --- a love that made her a new creation in Christ. But when a former boyfriend re-enters her life, will she be able to convince him that she's not the shallow girl who broke his heart in high school?

Maggie and her daughter, Devyn, still live in Pickwick, North Carolina, the town her family founded and the place she refers to as Nowhere, Carolina. It is the same town where Maggie waved her pom-poms, flirted with the boys and harassed the "nerds." But huge changes took place in Maggie with the help of Skippy Baggett, the mother of a girl who often fell victim to Maggie's harassment. It was Skippy who found Maggie on the side of the road with a flat tire when Maggie was headed for an abortion clinic. And though she had every right to pass her by, Skippy instead took Maggie under her wing, showing her God's love and leading her to a path that ended at the foot of the cross.

Life in Pickwick is going just fine for Maggie, who has established herself as a respected art and antiques auctioneer. Determined to be a good mom to Devyn, she has raised her daughter in the church, worked hard and did her best to set a good example. The only reoccurring problem is Devyn's longing for a father. When old flame Reece Thorpe is hired by Maggie's uncle to create a sculpture for the town, Maggie finds her world turned upside down. Could Reece be Devyn's real father? And could her mixed-up emotions for him be love?

Maggie sets out to find the answer to the first question by obtaining a DNA kit. After fumbling several attempts to secure a DNA sample from Reece, she finally succeeds, only to find out that Reece is not Devyn's biological father. But in the weeks it takes to get the results, Maggie finds herself caught in a web of little white lies, all aimed at showing Reece she's not the teenage girl he remembers. Reece sees past the lies enough to start falling for Maggie. But will she ruin her chance at love by continuing to skirt around the truth?

Tamara Leigh, the bestselling author of more than a dozen novels, has created a host of heartwarming, funny and delightful characters in NOWHERE, CAROLINA. They lead the reader through a page-turning story of romance, forgiveness and freedom born of truth. Humorous and touching, this book will be a favorite with women as it emphasizes God's plans to give his children "hope and a future."

--- Reviewed by Susan Miura

5.0 out of 5 stars More great Tamara Leigh fiction, October 12, 2010
I've been a reader of Tamara Leigh's Christian fiction for a few years now, and I can say that she hasn't lost her writing edge yet.

This book is the second of the Southern Discomfort series, the first being Leaving Carolina and the third to come out soon (hopefully). Although I recommend Leaving Carolina since it is a marvelous book, it's not necessary since the plot of this book is based on a new character and Tamara Leigh fills you in on necessary details from the first book.

Maggie Pickwick and her daughter Devyn are each trying to cope with life as they know it in Pickwick, North Carolina--a bonafide Southern town where your past stays with you and no one is going to let you forget it. Maggie (the real focus of the book) is an auctioneer trying to make ends meet as a single mom who's learned her lessons the hard way, but with God's help has learned to overcome her past indiscretions and forgive herself. Or so she thought, before a handsome artist from her past comes to town. Around the same time, her preteen Devyn starts to question just who her father is. Maggie can't answer that question, but she knows that something must be done about Devyn's curiosity and the sculptor's presence before dots are connected in a way Maggie and her faith aren't ready for...

Maggie herself is a plucky heroine and the book is full of enough humor, squirming-uncomfortable scenes, heartfelt faith growth, and love to keep any chick-lit lover turning pages and feeling for Maggie in all her dilemmas. Although it's not my favorite book by this author (which is Splitting Harriet), it's still miles above a lot of the other books I've seen out there. Don't pass this one up!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, June 30, 2010
Well, once again Tamara Leigh has out done herself. It took me one day to read through "Nowhere Carolina". I'd purchased it days before but Sunday came, my day to relax, I picked up the book at 8 in the morning and sat it down around 5 and wish I had not gone through it so fast, because though it was an amazing book, I so desperately wanted to pick up the next one...like everyone else, I shall have to wait.

Once again, I was inspired by Tamara's writing. The characters kept me gripped from the moment I opened to the first page, to the last page I sadly had to close. I don't know what it is about Tamara's books, other than she has the knack for keeping you interested in the book, that you lose the time. I thought about taking her book to work with me and read during breaks, but knowing how she writes, I knew I wouldn't be able to concentrate on my work until I completed the story.

If you haven't had the chance to pick up a copy, trust me...go do it, you won't be disappointed, and you'll be a fan of Tamara Leigh's for life.

Suggestion, pick up the others prior to this one, it'll make it easier to wait until Tamara releases her next book.

Thanks Tamara.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series!, November 11, 2010
Leaving Carolina: A Novel was my first real introduction to author Tamara Leigh and I was left eagerly awaiting the second in the series Nowhere, Carolina: A Novel. Now having finished this book I cannot wait for the next adventure in the Pickwick cousin's lives with Bridget's story, coming 2011.

Once again I giggled and in a feminine way I declare I chuckled. Maggie Pickwick is a grown up moving each day beyond what she once was and in a humiliatingly humorous fashion she attempts to be the good Christian she knows that she now is and hide secrets. Each chapter was better than the last and I was on the edge of my seat curious about who the true father was. I think that this is a great story for redemption in admitting a sin that was and turning it for something good.

I highly recommend this adventure in the wacky lives of the Pickwick family from Pickwick, North Carolina and encourage you to read the first book as well although this one would stand alone quite nicely.

*Thanks to Staci Carmichael of WaterBrook Multnomah for providing a copy for review.*

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Summer Read, June 24, 2010
I just spent seven days camping with my husband and children and lived for the rare moments when I could pour through the pages of the latest saga. I just love the personalities that emerge from each chapter - as if they are sitting beside me at the campfire. My forest became Nowhere, Carolina as I was caught up in Maggie's quandaries. While pre-marital sex is not something I advocate, it is presented with a great deal of sensitivity and thoughtfulness. The idea that a paternity custody suit is a really refreshing idea in a time where casual sex runs rampant.

Lindsey Mattews

5.0 out of 5 stars nowhere carolina, February 27, 2013
Maggie Pickwick is a long way past her days as a head cheerleader and the mistakes she made in high school. Twelve years later she is a single mom who has traded those pompoms in for an auctioneer's gavel and popularity for peace and quiet, while also striving to be a good example for her daughter Devyn. She keeps it together well too - that is, until an old flame of hers moves back to the little town of Pickwick, North Carolina.

Famous artist Reece Thorpe wants nothing to do with Maggie - not after what she did to him in high school - but in a crazy twist, he might also be Devyn's father. Fed by her pride and fear for Devyn's happiness, Maggie finds herself on a slippery slope of white lies as she tries to convince Reece that she has changed. But the truth has a way of coming out regardless how much you try to hide it. Now Maggie's past and present mistakes could ruin her future chance at love.

Sometimes when you read books in a series, they don't always pick up where they left off. Personally I get a bit hesitant about how a story will go if there end up being gaps. And those were the feelings I had when starting this one. I knew I'd love Tamara Leigh's writing because I enjoyed the first book a whole lot, but I was unsure of the storyline. Thankfully though, the story was awesome. It picked up around a yearish later and instead of focusing on Piper as in the first book, Maggie ends up being the star of the story.

I love the characters in these novels - they're so quirky and it's a joy to read, honestly. It's a light read but has some really heavy stuff as well such as the uncle's dementia. But overall there isn't a bad thing to say about it. Just make sure that you read them in order as you might otherwise be lost about some of the details from the previous novel! This whole series is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by Tamara Leigh, July 16, 2010
Excellent book. Very funny and touching. I love Tamara Leigh's books. If you haven't read any of her books, read this one. But also, don't miss "Splitting Harriet" which is fantastic! If you enjoy Christian Fiction, give it a try!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Nowhere, Carolina: A Novel (Southern Discomfort)
Nowhere, Carolina: A Novel (Southern Discomfort) by Tamara Leigh (Paperback - May 18, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.01