1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound!, January 30, 2009
This review is from: NuForce AVP-17 (AV Processor, Silver Color)
I am one of those guys who love music way more than care for movies. Normally the solution for having a first rate music reproduction and a home theater is to have two different sets, and even two separate rooms. One for audio and one for video.

The Nuforce AVP-17 serves both pretty well privileging music, as it should be in my opinion.

For audio in stereo, the AVP-17 is a fantastic preamp featuring a subwoofer output. I wonder why this feature is so rare. It seems to me as a purist's dream!! You can also bypass the 5.1 signal from multichannel players. In bypass mode, both for stereo or multichannel, the AVP-17 showcases what Hi-End is all about sounding natural, realistic with a correct sound stage. It is not just a question of hearing things I did not quite heard before, the AVP-17 is way more believable than the receiver or separates I used to have or have tested. Silky warm with chamber music, explosive with symphonies, it does not get congested with large ensembles including choirs, and my system never seemed out of steam since I introduced this great AV processor. I have noticed a very concrete improvement in voices, pianos, brass, strings. Bass is more detailed and dynamic. Even classical music played on original instruments, which tend to sound a little harsh and metallic in lesser products, come alive, detailed, pristine and pleasant.

The internal DAC represents an update and an improvement for most CD/Universal players.

I have to agree with reviewers when they say a preamp's contribution to your set should not be ignored.

Movies are also reproduced with a much more detailed, dynamic sound. The only thing the AVP-17 lacks is an HDMI input, but, if you really want that, they offer you an HDMI splitter from OPPO for $90. Do the math, even so, the cost-benefit ratio is amazing.

Equipment associated with the Nuforce AVP-17 at this moment: Denon 2930 Universal Player, Sony 777-ES CD player, Audiolab 8000 P amplification, KEF XQ-1 front speakers, KEF Q-1 surrounds and M&K V1-B subwoofer.