5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Senneff offers HOPE for those suffering from neuropathy
Published on December 5, 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on October 29, 2004 by Book Freak

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Senneff offers HOPE for those suffering from neuropathy, December 5, 1999
This book is easy to read, well written and chockful of helpful information. I purchased it at a diabetes seminar, raced home and quickly read it. I was thrilled to find so much well-researched info on neuropathy in one book especially since my efforts at finding info on this painful, debilitating disease had previously yielded nothing helpful. I'm reading it again with my marker in hand as I will continue to use this book as an important reference in my search for help.
If you suffer from neuropathy, do yourself a favor and get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Current Work on Neuropathy for Patients, February 12, 2000
Alan Sherman (Delray Beach, Florida) - See all my reviews
We podiatrists may see more patients with neuropathy than any other medical specialists and due to the unique long term personal relationships that we often form with these patients, we are so often called upon to come up with ways to help these patients relieve their symptoms.
This is, in a nutshell, the best current work on the subject of neuropathy for lay people. It explains the problem, goes through the rational for treatment, and discusses the treatments one by one. In addition to the use of PO medication, it covers vitamin therapy, physical therapies, psychotherapy and for patients who fail standard treatments, it covers alternative therapies such as plasmapheresis and hyperbaric oxygen. Mr. Seneff also covers experimental treatments still in clinical studies. His treatment of the subject is comprehensive and empathetic. He even devotes a chapter to coping skills, which will benefit all patients.  His fairness and good judgment is evidenced by the variety of quotes that he includes, to demonstrate the range of experiences that different patients have to the same treatment. he value of this book, for both the practicing podiatrist and his patient, lies in how comprehensive it is in it's discussion of treatment options. I, for one, have never felt that I had considered ALL treatment option, until I read this book. The sections on physical modalities are also very valuable. Many of these patients are on multiple medications already and are reluctant to take additional medicines. Mr. Senneff found that many patients have gotten considerable relief from non-medical treatments.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Experience, February 24, 2000
After years of suffering this book pointed me in the right diretion. It helped me by understanding the underlying causes, convinced my spouse that it was nor all in my head and made my M.D. take notice and sent me to a specialist who confirmed the presence of neuropathy. With the medication I feel now much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Numb Toes and Aching Soles by John Senneff, July 9, 2001
By A Customer
A self-help book for people who suffer from peripheral neuropathy is very necessary, and this book is an excellent beginning, but there are some unfortunate holes in its coverage. Since doctors rarely volunteer information, it is important to know what questions to ask, and in this disease there are many questions to ask, since what works for one person might not work for another. There is apparently a great deal of ongoing medical research activity that might produce significant results in the near future; a strength of the book is the pointers that it gives to discussion groups and other sources of the latest information.
On the negative side (perhaps a revised edition is in the works?): 1) thyroid deficiency should really be added to the list of the notable (and treatable) causes (see, for example, American Family Physician, 1998, 57(4):755-766); 2) The section on alpha-lipoic acid has this vitamin-like molecule (C8H14O2S2, found in greatest abundance in meat) totally confounded with the essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (C18H30O2, for which flax oil is a popular supplement). Another small section that would improve the book is a discussion of the probable causes of B-vitamin deficiency, for example antiulcer medications (Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 2001, 54(5):531-534).

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, October 29, 2004
Book Freak (United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book thinking I might learn something new. It is expensive for a paperback, but its 280-odd pages are in a very large typeface, so its cover leads you to expect more to read than there is. There are numerous anecdotes from people who had struggled with diagnosis of this disease - are doctors really so incompetent? Unfortunately, I did not find many of these to be helpful. The book covers quite a lot of treatment possibilities, many of which are not much use, or not available at present anyway. I did not learn anything new from the book, in spite of my hopes from reading other reviews. I had learned from excellent web sites (neuropathy-trust.org) and other books, and as a patient not afraid to ask questions of my doctors, nor intimidated by them, I found that the book did not give me any new knowledge. It is markedly unhelpful with practical solutions - shoes, socks, etc., that are important for day to day living. A big disappointment after the other rave reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent patients manual, January 11, 2000
By A Customer
A great resource, especially if you are new to this disease. Even if you are not new to it, there are no doubt sections you will be glad you read. In particular, I liked the thorough description of the various drug and non-drug treatments available, and the patient testimonials for the more human side of using one treatment versus another. I read the whole book in one or two nights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Required Reading for Patients and Physicians, December 2, 2000
James R. Kilpatrick (near Dallas, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
The book opens the inner perspectiveness of one who has learned to deal directly with Neuropathy and the ability to tell others about it in a non-medical terminology laymen can understand.
Much like "Coping with a Myositis Disease" book, the real life accounts of having a disease is invaluable. Invaluable not only to the patient, but relatives and even the medical professionals who can't exactly explain or understand the inner workings of the patient's anxiety, concern about their ever-changing lifestyles, and the uncertainty of the future.
This book is highly recommended if the reader wants to read about the disease actually written by a professional medical patient/physician.

5.0 out of 5 stars Numb Toes and Aching Soles, April 17, 2002
By A Customer
This is am absolute must for anyone diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy. The resources are very helpful and time saving when trying to cope with this disorder. I have take several to my son's doctors and they have been positive with receiving it. My son was recently diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another suggestion, March 11, 2002
By A Customer
Further to my earlier review of this book (July 9, 2001), I would like to add a recommendation that people with peripheral neuropathy might cautiously consider the dietary approach of the book "Enter the Zone" by Dr Barry Sears and William Lawren. That book describes a diet designed to control insulin levels, and, apart from type II diabetes, it is advertised primarily for cardiovascular health, athletic performance, slow loss of excess weight (if there is an excess), and to fight the effects of aging. But the effects that I consider more important are to reduce pain and reduce the severity of any disease that involves an over-production of the inflammation-promoting hormones that are known as prostaglandins and leukotrienes, but the author prefers to call them eicosanoids. Many of the diseases that can trigger peripheral neuropathy involve such a mechanism. Depression (at least of a fairly mild kind) apparently also may improve on this diet. I have made some other comments in a separate review of the Sears and Lawren book, particularly noting that caution is required and that some people may be harmed by increasing the protein in their diet -- but it might help some people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, December 18, 2002
By A Customer
One reviwer had written: "It is very much like what you might find if you searched every issue of Prevention magazine looking for cures for a desease -- one would find everything from herbal cures to surgery and would have little idea of what, if anything might work for you."
This is true, but I don't have the time or the inclination to go out and locate every single issue, read them all from cover to cover, ask the opinion of various doctors about what I read, and also get the opinions of those who have actually tried using the various treatments.
That is what this book did. for me. I found it to be invaluable, and I learned a lot and picked up quite a few things to try.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Numb Toes and Aching Soles: Coping with Peripheral Neuropathy
Numb Toes and Aching Soles: Coping with Peripheral Neuropathy by John A. Senneff (Paperback - December 5, 1999)
Used & New from: $4.20