5.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying journey down memory lane
Published on March 25, 2008 by Razor X

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if...
This is a really good download. However it's not one that I would have bought for myself. My 2yo grandson "bought" it for me! Needless to say my Kindle now has a lock on it! At least it wasn't Marlyn Manson or Lady Gaga.
Published 23 months ago by Jean

5.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying journey down memory lane, March 25, 2008
Razor X (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Number Ones (MP3 Music)
Kenny Rogers was at the peak of his career when I was growing up and he's always been a big favorite of mine. I've been looking for a good digitally remastered compilation to replace "20 Greatest Hits" which has got pretty poor audio quality when played alongside of music that was recorded more recently. I came across the CD "21 Number Ones" at Target. I was tempted to buy it but decided to wait until I got home and check the reviews on Amazon. After reading about the improved audio quality, I decided that I really wanted this collection and decided to download the mp3 version.

I was a bit disappointed to find that the mp3 version of the album that is available on Amazon contains six fewer tracks than the CD version, excluding all of Kenny's RCA recordings and the Sheena Easton duet "We've Got Tonight". I figured the RCA tracks were unavailable due to licensing restrictions, but why "We've Got Tonight" was exlcuded was a big mystery, since it was originally released on the Liberty label, as were most of the tracks in the collection. I deliberated about whether I should just order the CD, but then I discovered that most of the missing were available for download on another digitally-remastered set "A Love Song Collection". In the end, I was able to piece most of the album back together by purchasing "Number Ones" and some selected tracks from "A Love Song Collection." I'd already bought "Buy Me A Rose" from this set a while back, and I opted not to purchase "Islands In The Stream" since there's a perfectly good remastered version of this song on "The Essential Dolly Parton". The only track I couldn't get was the Ronnie Milsap duet "Make No Mistake, She's Mine", which was my least favorite song of this collection anyway, so that was no biggie. It took a little effort and ended costing $1 more than buying the CD, but it had the advantage of not having the tracks shortened to squeeze them onto one disk, as another reviewer had lamented.

Kenny Rogers recorded so many wonderful songs that have stood the test of time. Many of these songs could be hits today. Some may complain that they are more pop than country, but I think it is just great music -- and far better than the fodder that is spoon-fed to us by the sad state of affairs that is modern country radio. The oldest recordings in this set are over 30 years old ("Lucille" was released in 1977) but you would never know it from listening to them. They sound as if they were brand new recordings. I've never heard these songs sound so sharp and vibrant, which brings a whole new level of enjoyment to them. Listening to this album has brought back a lot of wonderful memories of when I was growing up. This collection is one that I will be playing quite a lot. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a voice!, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Number Ones (MP3 Music)
Love this CD. Love his voice and his songs, even though I don't consider myself to be a country music fan. Most of the big ones are here. There are some that aren't included, which I was surprised about, but maybe they were only #2? ;)

If you like Kenny Rogers, you will LOVE this collection. You've heard every song on it and it will surely bring back a lot of memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenny Rogers, January 1, 2011
This review is from: Number Ones (MP3 Music)
This was a MP3 download from Amazon to go on my son's iPod. As usual Amazon made it very easy for a non-tech savvy older person like me. We will be buying more music from Amazon as downloads. My son and I both love Kenny Rogers and these are some of his best songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 13, 2014
old time favorites

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenny Rogers, June 20, 2014
This review is from: Number Ones (MP3 Music)
Kenny is one reason I listen to C&W. He has a lot of songs a person can sing along to. When you are feeling good or bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say about Kenny Rogers, May 6, 2014
This review is from: Number Ones (MP3 Music)
I believe he could record "Mary had a little lamb" and make it sound like a classic. What he sings always seems to have a "meaning" which is special in an of it's self. If his name is on it, it's special . He brings back so many memories in people's life. HE is a classic!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful songs, April 28, 2014
This review is from: Number Ones (MP3 Music)
Kenny Roger's voice is wonderful .This album is a wonderful collection of hi songs.The price of the album was unbelievable so I got a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now!, April 15, 2014
This review is from: Number Ones (MP3 Music)
The best of the best! We did see and hear him in concert and will always enjoy listening to him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Number ones, March 7, 2014
This review is from: Number Ones (MP3 Music)
I have loved these songs too! Ever since the first time I heard them! Great Country songs! Another Great Alarm from Kenny Rogers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenny Rogers was in a class all by himself., March 3, 2014
This review is from: Number Ones (MP3 Music)
He sang with some great ladies of country music. his songs are beautiful. I fully recommend this album. Especially at the $5 cost. very underrated....I think its too sad that today's music industry just toss these guys to the side for a quick buck and flash in the pan artists...

Number Ones