Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Number Talks: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies, Grades K-5
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on April 14, 2011
This book is a must for any educator who wishes to develop problem solving strategies in their learners. I would even recommend it for a book study group, especially since it comes with a DVD--that really helps to gain an understanding in how students think about problems, as well as inadvertently demonstrating some great class management techniques. It outlines a lot of strategies that you can teach the kids in mini-lessons, and is very doable to add into your routine. I highly recommend it!!

My only wish was that the DVD contained some classroom examples of 1st graders.
on September 19, 2010
This book was read by all of our elementary summer school math teachers this summer. They loved the book and used the number talks in their classrooms. Each of them felt that using the number talks increased the students' math abilities more than we have ever seen students' math abilities grow over the past summer we have held summer school. Each of them said that this was going to impact their teaching this coming school year as well. I will be using this book to help the school I am working with this year to help them increase their students math scores on our state assessment.
on December 16, 2012
This is the best book! It was worth every penny. It is great for teaching mental math. I use it everyday and it is unbelievable what my 3rd graders can do. I have taught 3rd grade for 15 years and I have never had a class that can add, subtract and multiply in their heads like this! This book is FANTASTIC!
on March 31, 2012
This book and video offer ideas for excellent math instruction! HIghly recommend for anyone who is wanting to see improvement in the way their students discuss and show their thinking in math!
on November 25, 2011
Absolutely the best buy out there for elementary mathematics teachers! It is also the best price at Amazon - pay over $60 at Math Solutions. Well worth the money!!!! :) Make sure you watch the DVD that comes with the book - it is amazing watching the students explaining their thinking!
on December 16, 2012
I am using this with my k-2 grade teachers. Many of them are afraid of the Common Core. This gives them deeper understanding of the math practices and why they are important in helping students become fluent in math.
on September 6, 2012
I have been working through these strategies with my lower level 7th and 8th graders. Their fact fluency has shot through the roof and I have seen their mental math ability multiply in the few short weeks Ihave had so far with my students. An amazing book! I highly recommend to all math teachers regardless of your grade level.
on February 13, 2012
Since the moment it arrived I have been using the activities in Number Talks: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Straties. The children's math computation has improved tremendously and they have begun trying out different strategies that other children use. With the new National Core Curriculum in Math being institued in the next school year, this book is a must!
on March 10, 2014
I'm trying to find ways to rehabilitate high school math students. These are ideas best taught early, but some need these in order to go back and work on the GED. I found this book because of an online class by Jo Boaler from Standford university. It is one part of the "growth mindset" concepts. Highly recommend this for helping your math student become more confident in the learning strategies that work for their brains. Learning math rules just doesn't cut it. Students have to understand how and why we need numbers.
on March 8, 2014
Just out some of these problems on the board and follow the advice of the book and you will see amazing things. My low kids are as fast as my high ones with mental math now. There are secrets though. If you just put the problems up and don't use the methods, expect nothing. You might find a useful video on YouTube that demonstrates a proper Number Talk. Get the book too though, because the mental math problems are nicely selected and organized to teach Common Core methods.