5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!
I love these flowering teas, they are the coolest thing ever! They've always worked for me-make sure to use boiling water though.
Published on August 22, 2007 by Rebecca Grahm

Published 11 months ago by Schastlivaya

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Biggest flowering tea disappointment, both appearance and tea quality, January 11, 2014
This review is from: Numi Tea Petite Bouquet - Assorted Flowering Teas, 4 Count Box (Grocery)
It took close to one month for this tea to arrive; I actually was losing hope to ever see it. I ordered it to be enjoyed in a group of friends who are not tea drinkers; I have used flowering teas a number of times before for friendly gatherings - an open flower in a glass jar of aromatic tea adds a unique touch. Also, i myself am a tea-drinker and can tell a good tea from a bad one. What was supposed to be magic moment never happened: the flowers lost a bunch of petals and never fully opened, and when they did, only one out of four teas had an actual flower in it (that lost half of petals and looked pathetic), and the other 3 were looking more like scary creatures from the bottom of the sea - bulky green leaves tied together. Desperate, I tried all 4, hoping that at least 1 would not disappoint - in vain, all lost leaves, all failed to open fully, all looked ugly. Finally, the taste was plain bad - no flavor, no strength, barely any aroma, wrong color - all wrong. The biggest disappointment is that I trusted Numi brand, from my past experience. The only possible explanation I could find is that perhaps, these teas were way past their due date; or could they be counterfeit altogether? My advice: buy some other flowering teas.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Disappointing..., August 16, 2014
I'm a fan of blooming tea, and the first brand I ever had was Teaposy. That one was gorgeous and delightful! After that, I ended up getting a Primula teapot gift set, and eventually I replaced the Primula teapot with one from Grosche. The actual Primula blooming tea balls were not very impressive, as they seemed to be very unreliable with some of the balls floating and refusing to sink, or some not opening properly (the ones that did open properly, though, were nice). I had a few of the Grosche tea balls that came with the teapot, and they displayed many of the same problems (although, to be fair, they may have been old or something). After that, I was intrigued to try out the Numi branded ones.

Numi has a great reputation for tea, and indeed I like many of their normal boxed teas, such as the white rose flavor. However, I noticed many bad reviews for their blooming tea. Still, the price per tea ball was good compared to Teaposy, and I was really intrigued by their unusual flavors. Most blooming tea I've encountered is either white or green jasmine tea (which is nice), but the Numi tea seems to have more unusual flavors. The flavors in this box are: Dragon Lily (white tea with lily petals), Sunset Oolong (oolong tea with lily flower), Lavender Dream (lavender flower, hibiscus, and possibly white tea), and Golden Jasmine (black tea and jasmine). Lavender is a flavor you never really see in blooming tea, so I was excited to try it out. Not to mention I love the fact that their tea doesn't have any artificial flavors in it. Besides, even if the tea balls were terrible, I'd only be out about six bucks.

The very first thing to discuss is the packaging itself. It came in a tiny box (which is fine) but inside none of the tea balls were labeled, leaving me to guess which was which based on matching appearances with the pictures on the box (I think I got it right). More perturbing than that, though, is that the individual ingredients for each type of tea ball are not listed – the ingredient list is all jumbled together for all four. In addition, the plastic encasing the tea balls is only loosely sealed – it's not vacuum sealed for freshness at all! The box claims these don't go bad until March 2016, but not being vacuum seals still worries me a bit. Oh well, there's only four, so surely they'll be used up before long regardless. I'll go through each individual flavor and describe my experiences.

I started off with the Golden Jasmine first, because that's the one my husband was most excited about. Unfortunately, this experience seems to reinforce all the negative reviews. The tea ball failed to sink, and it opened sideways on the top of the water line. Not very impressive or nice-looking at all. The flavor isn't particularly impressive either. It tasted of a rather weak black tea, and although the box describes it as being “scented with delicate jasmine,” there is almost no jasmine in evidence. The scenting must be very “delicate” indeed. Lest you think it was my steep time or my teapot size, well, I let it steep a full 15 minutes by the end (10 minutes is my normal steep time), and the teapot is the same one I've used for other brands (that gave good flavor). After my husband and I each drank one cup, there was enough for one more cup left. This liquid had, of course, steeped longer due to being left in the pot, and when I drank it, it was indeed a bit stronger tasting. Unfortunately, it just tasted like slightly stronger black tea; still no real hint of jasmine. Oh well, one dud out of the four. We'll see what the others are like...
The next one I tried was the Lavender Dream. I had high hopes for this one since I do like lavender. While this one sank and opened correctly, it was not particularly attractive. The “bloom” in the middle wasn't much to look at – just a few ruddy brown petals that looked more like leaves than anything (that was the hibiscus, presumably). The taste was not good, either. The hibiscus taste was mildly there, but the lavender wasn't really apparent and the whole thing had an unpleasant bitter undertone. Overall, I wasn't impressed.

Next I tried out the Sunset Oolong. This one has to be better, right? Well, the flower in this one was at least more colorful, but this one once again the tea ball refused to sink, and ended up not fully opening either. The taste was...bland. It is rather hard to describe, but it's just bland. Maybe it didn't steep fully or properly since it failed to open? I don't know.

Lastly, I tried out the Dragon Lily. By this point, I didn't have much hope for this product. This one, unfortunately, didn't do anything to change my mind. This one, once AGAIN, didn't sink and opened on its side. The bloom was dull-colored and rather unattractive regardless. The taste was pleasant enough, though. It just tasted of a mild white tea (which it pretty much is). I can't say I detected any of the purported “velvety apricot flavor” that the box describes, but it was at least drinkable. However, it wasn't particularly special-tasting, and I can't say I'd want to drink it again (if only because this is an expensive option for something that tastes of plain white tea – I might as well just buy a cheaper box of white tea).

Well, overall, I'm deeply disappointed in Numi. Normally they make such nice tea, but this was a huge let down. There wasn't a single bloom in here that made me want to buy this again, and frankly, I won't be. Unfortunately, the other negative reviews are correct. If you want some blooming tea, I'd recommend you buy Primula (for a cheaper option) or Teaposy (for a really awesome, but more expensive, experience). There may be other good brands out there, too. Either way, avoid these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, August 22, 2007

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh!, June 11, 2014
I usually give fairly high marks on here for items purchased but this was absolutely ridiculous if not downright embarrassing! I'm a tea snob and thought this would be a nice addition to a ladies luncheon recently. With high anticipation of showing off a nice table, meal and followed by a unusual "tea treat" I proceeded to prepared for the day. 20 of my friends arrived, tea lovers all. I followed the directions EXACTLY on the box. With the "tea pod" securely sitting on the bottom of the see-through tea pot we all watched as a child on Christmas Eve would watch a toy. Waiting for it to do SOMETHING. We sat. And sat. And stared. And then stared some more. No one said a word. We were nearly hypnotized watching this tea pod waiting for this majestic display of flowers. Nothing. Suddenly one woman (me!) could no longer contain herself and burst out laughing! It was like watching paint dry! I tried another one. Same thing. And another. Same thing! Oddly with all the laugher it was pretty much the high point of our day but the tea was discarded. It didn't even taste good to the one poor soul (me) who actually sampled it. I called Amazon and true to form got a total refund with no questions asked. I personally would never get this again but you might if you're looking for cheap entertainment at a luncheon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Blooming Teas!, December 13, 2013
Carol A. French (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews
Love blooming teas and Numi. My only gripe is that I end up using a filter to strain out the bits and pieces that come loose. Otherwise fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed all of the Teas, May 26, 2007
Gotham Sanity (Gotham City, NY U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
You can also purchase a 6 pack variety if you are new to flowering teas. They open beautifully in a glass pot. Numi makes very good teas, great selction and the pricing is not over the top. Shipping with Amazon makes it quite competitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, January 26, 2014
Just as delicious as you'd expect and every bit as beautiful as the pictures. These are wonderful conversation pieces at tea parties, people love them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most beautiful tea ever!, January 23, 2014
The flavors are wonderful and even better than the taste is the beauty of the bouquet in the tea pot. Morning tea is now quite the zen experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ehhhh..., December 5, 2014
I was so excited to get this and try it out but was a little disappointed when I finally did. The "flower" took a while to open and it really didnt look like a flower, more like a glob. It was just the first one I grabbed, so to be fair, it might have been that one tea flower. The actual tea itself tasted great. It was sweet and did not need any additional sweetener. The are a little expensive as well for what you get, so I do not think I will be buying them again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't really flower, May 31, 2014
Lizzy L. (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
The flavor of these teas is nice enough, but they don't really flower as described, nor are they nearly as colorful. The "flowers" also flipped upside down. I won't be purchasing these again. For the price, they were a disappointment.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Numi Tea Petite Bouquet - Assorted Flowering Teas, 4 Count Box
$7.04 $6.49
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.