Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

VINE VOICEon March 21, 2012
As a nursing instructor I was disappointed on how much of this book is out of date. Many chapters in this 2012 book have references no newer than 2007. A particularly egregious example is the chapter on handheld computers. It uses the out-of-date term of PDA and is about the use of Palm and Windows CE handhelds. The existence of iOS or Android smartphones and tablets is completely missing. A few chapters are updated but it looks like most are not. The book uses a very unhelpful diagram/model to organize the content. Reading this book was like going back in time five years due to numerous outdated references. Writing a nursing informatics text is difficult with technology changing so quickly. The authors did not seem to make much effort to rectify that with this second edition. There are better choices for textbooks on nursing informatics.
22 comments25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2011
I must say that nursing informatics doesn't much interest me, so that may bias my review of this book. I'm required to take a course in informatics as part of my BSN. Our professor informed us that this was the only textbook on informatics, which was why we were required to purchase it for the class.

I can hardly keep my eyes open every time I try to read a chapter, it's so dry and abstract. It's not that concepts aren't interesting, they actually are. Use of information systems in nursing and the health sciences, is absolutely the wave of the future. And looking at nurses and "information processors" and "knowledge workers" is creative and useful. But the book seems to try and use lofty academic language, big words, passive voice, and overly formal descriptions to describe simple concepts, making the reading boring and abstract. Also, when new terms are introduced, the authors don't plainly define the terms...They give long winded histories of how the terms are used, how they evolved to their current state, and what someone said about the terms, but they rarely come out and say "this is what we mean by this term". So I find that if I really want to know what a term means, I have to translate it into plain words so that it makes sense.

My professor has the previous (2009) edition and had given us study questions from that edition, without realizing that some of the topics were no longer mentioned in the latest edition. So I got online and looked up some of the answers on google books (previous edition). I was surprised to find many of the same concepts discussed in clearer language, with less wordy definitions. Not sure why you would want to take nice clear writing and muddy it all up, but that's apparently what happened. Maybe it didn't sound academic enough?

My motivation for writing a review is to encourage folks to buy the 2009 edition. If you aren't required to purchase the newest edition, I'd consider at least getting the previous edition first...it seems to be a much better read. Or you could get the 2009 edition on kindle and this edition in paper form. I would most definitely not recommend buying this book unless you are required to, or are passionate about nursing informatics and want a more current description of it in book form. But seriously, if we are talking about currency of technology, data, and information systems, why not just use the internet, proceedings of conferences and peer reviewed articles?
on December 11, 2012
This is an awful book. I am truly amazed that the authors were able to make a book so long with so little to say. Like a bad scholarly article, the only interesting points in the book are quotes from other sources. You're probably looking at this book because you have to have it for class, so try to share a copy with friends to lessen the expense.
on February 8, 2012
as a nursing student, I read way more than most... but this is one of the most difficult things for me to read. I like the information... it's just not presented in an interesting way and makes for one boring read,
on April 29, 2013
This was a required text for a graduate course in nursing. While there were some very important concepts covered in the text and while I appreciated the focus on informatics for nurses, it was very poorly written. Even the simplest concepts were presented in long, drawn-out sentences and paragraphs spotted with grammatical and punctuation errors. Did the editors even read this text? I will strongly recommend that my professor use a different book next time around. If I had the time, I'd edit this book and send it to the authors, so they could come out with the concise version for their next edition. I hope they will hire a great editor with a large delete key to whip this text into shape! Then it will be a very useful text for nursing students!
on December 24, 2013
I'm not impressed at all with this textbook. The format is that each chapter is an essay submitted by a different writer. I don't inherently hate that, but when looking at multiple chapters you find a lot of repetition. The main issue is it is very outdated. While this is the second edition, I'm not sure what if anything was updated from the first edition. There is extensive mention of PDAs and the Microsoft Surface, but virtually nothing about smart phones, Ipads/tablets, or apps. That is unacceptable for a technology book published in 2012. I think it's ridiculous that textbooks are revised slightly each year to force students to buy the new edition, but any textbook touching on technology really is required to put out a new edition each year: there is so much change in 12 months. My teacher said supposedly there is a new edition coming out; hopefully it's a major revision, because I couldn't find any other informatics textbook with better reviews here.
Tip: My teacher used the chapter quizzes on the companion website in the course. When you take the quiz and hit submit, it will show you which ones are wrong, and there is an option to email the results to the instructor. Instead, hit the back button on the browser, correct any wrong answers, and submit again. When everything is correct, then put in your teacher's email and send.
on November 21, 2013
This is by far one of the worst textbook I have ever used. It is very wordy and constantly repeats itself. It's a book that was meant to be 100 pages stretched in to 600 pages. I can't believe this was even printed.
on September 9, 2013
Contained a lot of unneeded info. Believe some could have been left out and been made an easier read. Book required for school.
on September 13, 2013
Although this is book has good information it is a very boring book which makes it hard to read. Very disappointing.
on November 15, 2013
The version I ordered was not the version I received. Although I did get a version with this title there was no copyright page to even know what version it is. Also, it so long to get it my class was already 3 weeks into a 12 week term, I had to do catching up, it was too late to return and reorder. I was able to use what I had with the help of classmates to help supplement what was missing.