Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Size: 54 Ounce|Change

on February 25, 2011
I've tried a few different brands of extra-virgin coconut oil, and for the most part I'm equally satisfied with them all. Despite the marketing hype, coconut oil brands within each category (virgin, refined, hydrogenated) are very similar. I should specify the qualities I look for in a coconut oil: I want a coconut oil with a rich coconut aroma and taste, maximum nutrition, and minimal processing. For these reasons, I always select an organic, extra-virgin, cold-pressed oil.

I'm pleased that this Nutiva Organic Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil provides these qualities along with an easy-to-find "packed on" and "best before" date. The jars I ordered in late January 2011 were packed on September 13, 2010, and the "best before" date is September 13, 2012. Stored correctly (cool, dark location, no refrigeration needed), this nutrient-dense oil stays fresh for two years. It smells and tastes great--coconutty and slightly sweet.

According to Nutiva, no hexane is used in the processing of this oil. Hexane is a petroleum-derived solvent used in all kinds of industrial applications, from shoe manufacturing to roofing. Interestingly, because hexane's primary molecular structure is carbon, it can be passed off as "organic." Do a little research; "cold-pressed," "organic," AND "hexane-free" are key considerations when selecting your coconut oil for nutrition purposes.

I'm not as pleased with the plastic jars. In fact, I took off a star as a result of the plastic packaging. I feel that a quality organic oil should be stored in a glass jar, and ideally a dark one to reduce oxidation. I've actually selected coconut oils specifically because they come in glass jars, and might have bypassed this product if I hadn't found it on sale at a good price. I put this information in the review to aid those of you who are looking for a coconut oil in a glass jar. Of course, at this larger size, you might prefer a plastic jar to eliminate some of the weight, but for storage purposes, glass might be best.
3333 comments|560 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2011
I've tried others, but Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is by far the tastiest and easiest to eat. I absolutely love it. I just eat it right out of the jar, several tablespoonfuls a day, for the health and weight loss benefits. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

I've read through the reviews and just wanted to clarify some things with actual facts for those who are interested. Saturated fat, such as coconut oil, butter, lard, tallow, etc., is not only NOT harmful, but it is ESSENTIAL for good health and need not and should not be limited in quantity as the government suggests. It does NOT clog arteries--that is a lie that has been propagated for the last 60 years and thankfully there are finally practitioners with the courage and common sense to speak the truth. I am a dentist, intimately involved in nutrition, and I know what I'm talking about.

The majority of coconut oil is medium chain triglycerides which are broken down quickly by the liver for energy. It raises metabolic rate, thus promoting weight loss, and it does work. But you should know that butter is healthy, too, and has some important long chain fatty acids, and it, too, will promote weight loss. Heavy cream is essentially butter before it's been churned. So certainly eat coconut oil--it has myriad health benefits--but eat all your saturated fats, including plenty of fatty, red meat.

Coconut oil will not oxidize and go rancid. You can leave it on the counter probably for years. So don't worry about buying too much. And for the same reason, a dark jar is not necessary. Please know that liquid seed and nut oils, and even fish oil, will go rancid, because of the high unsaturated content. These oils oxidize quickly and form free radicals. They are a major contributing factor in virtually all the prevalent diseases and disorders from which people suffer.

And finally to those complaining of the plastic jar, most of us, especially those who use a lot of coconut oil, would just as soon accept the "horrifying" risks of plastic jars rather than paying a fortune for shipping glass jars. We don't all have extra bags of cash lying around.
3131 comments|440 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Nutiva's Organic coconut oil is the best I've found. I've tried several brands, but nothing tastes as clean and pure as this. There is a definite undertone of coconut, but I like the flavor, even when frying eggs or eating it on cinnamon raisin toast. I recently had bloodwork done and my HDL (the good cholesterol) was an impressive 77---anything over 39 is considered in range; over 50 is heart protective). I attribute this great HDL number to using only coconut oil, butter, and olive oil in my cooking & drinking green tea.

Amazon's Subscribe & Save offer is a great deal; I really like the 2 pack of these smaller (15 oz) jars. We're a small household and I like keeping one jar sealed while using the other. Keep in mind that coconut oil is different than other oils--it is solid at temperatures under 76, so it will look something like shortening in the wintertime. Still tastes great and is wonderful to use in all kinds of cooking.

One more important detail: this is an organic, COLD PRESSED coconut oil. Others may be organically grown, but I've found some brands are hydrogenated to make them solid at room temperature (I won't go into all the reasons this is not a "good thing"). Suffice it to say that any coconut oil you buy should be cold pressed (and that goes for your olive oil, as well). Google to find out why...

Happy eating!

UPDATE 3/19/13: Updated the temperature threshold for melting point: it's actually 76 degrees, according to the Nutiva label (not 72 degrees as I previously guesstimated).

UPDATE 1/17/14: Something fun: I like Cinnamon Toast (just coconut oil and cinnamon on top of a piece of raisin bread, broiled under the broiler. No sugar.). I've been eating it for YEARS & about a month ago, I asked myself why I was making such a mess by sprinkling the cinnamon ON TOP of the coconut oil. Call it a EUREKA Moment. I poured about 1/3 cup of ground cinnamon into a half-used 15 oz. tub of coconut oil and stirred well. Voila--CINNAMON COCONUT OIL (it looks exactly like nutella spread, BTW). It works fantastically well and makes and even more delicious (and neater) cinnamon toast than my other, more primitive method.

Hello, Nutiva--you need to market a cinnamon version of your delightful coconut oil! Till they do, try making your own; I think you're going to love it.
6464 comments|839 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2011

22 comments|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2014
I use VCO in the mix for my hair, shaving cream, soap, hand lotion, face lotion, body lotion, tooth paste as well as I make popcorn and consume it straight out of the jar for its nutrients. Years ago, I was able to get raw, hand pressed coconut oils from fresh coconuts from Mexico produced right here in US but due to popularity of VCOs, many producers have been creative in making money by misleading shoppers as well as many misleading reviews by shoppers certainly has hyped the business of VCO to another level. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is a lie since Extra Virgin applies only to olive oil and infact the VCO market has become so saturated that many producers are removing extra from their labeling and calling it virgin coconut oil, no more extra virgin. In Canada where the best VCOs are produced, it is illegal to even use the term, extra virgin for coconut oil but in US the laws are very relaxed. There is no Extra Virgin coconut oil, only virgin, there is no pure, no #1, no 100%, no premium liquid, or any of those terms used for coconut oils. There is no coconut oil especially produced for beauty product which is any different than for cooking or consumption either as a salad dressing or right out of the jar with a spoon. The higher the grade, the higher the nutrients, everything else are marketing tools to sell coconut oil for more money.

REFINED or UNREFINED: The decision to choose between refined vs. unrefined is dependent upon the intention or use of the oil. Unrefined coconut oil has a smoke point of 280 degrees Fahrenheit, whereas, refined coconut oil's smoke point is 365 degrees Fahrenheit making it great for high heat cooking or sautéing. Refined is best for no smell or taste of coconut but it has less nutrients than unrefined.

GRADE A: Unrefined, Fair Trade, Certified organic by the USDA, Canada Organic, BC Certified Organic, Ecocert, first pressed VCO and Kosher. Hand pressed and cold-pressed to produce raw oil from fresh coconuts in as little as two hours.
GRADE B: Unrefined, Fair Trade, Certified organic by the USDA, Kosher, cold-pressed from fresh coconuts. Unknown if first pressed, Not Ecocert, Not raw oil produced in couple hours or less like Grade A.
GRADE C: Unrefined, Certified organic by the USDA, Kosher, cold-pressed from fresh coconuts. Unknown if first pressed, Not Fair Trade, Not Ecocert, Not raw oil produced in couple hours or less like Grade A.
GRADE D: Refined, Certified organic by the USDA, Kosher, cold-pressing/expeller pressing. Unknown if first pressed, Not Fair Trade, Not Ecocert, Not from fresh coconuts but from copra, Not raw oil produced in couple hours or less like Grade A.

This is GRADE C VCO. I consume GRADE A and B with a spoon right out of the jar but for popcorn I go with GRADE C. I do not consume filtered or GRADE D. When heated, just like any food item, VCO loses its nutritional value. As a beauty product, I mix this VCO with CO since CO is one of my favorite oils for my skin and it keeps the VCO in liquid form instead of solid form regardless of the temperature. Not Fair Trade but at an excellent VCO at $.31 an ounce in 74oz containers not at $.54 an ounce in 128oz containers. Extra is a lie so Nutiva is changing its labelling to VCO, no more EVCO and furthermore introducing Fair Trade which is not sold on Amazon.
4444 comments|156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2011
Most of the reviews here seem to focus on the taste, versatility, and health benefits of this oil in cooking, but coconut oil does so much more than just taste great! With the 108 ounces of coconut-y goodness in this product, you'll have plenty to use all over the home.
Use it as:
* moisturizer, especially in harsh winters or if you suffer from eczema or acne.

* a hair mask, especially if you have curly/frizzy hair or dandruff.

* a natural Monistat substitute!

* massage oil, especially if you have poor circulation.

* a natural Preparation H substitute!

* diaper ointment, safe for cloth diapers, too!

* insect repellant.

* makeup remover.

* deodorant.

* a natural KY substitute... ;)
33 comments|203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2011
A couple weeks ago, I decided to try adding coconut oil to my diet/regimen because of all its health benefits, and settled on this particular brand after much research. I have to say, it is amazing so far!

It has a wonderful coconutty smell, and gives a great flavor to everything you cook with it (though I'm sure there are some things that don't go well with coconuts). Just last night, I made a delicious panko lemon pepper chicken cooked in the oil. Crazy good!! I've even used it to cook ground meat and veggies for a spaghetti sauce, which was yummy as well.

For the last couple weeks, I've also been adding a heaping tablespoon to my morning coffee along with a pad of grass-fed butter, some unsweetened organic cocoa powder and almond milk - this being my own version of Dave Asprey's Bulletproof Coffee (google Bulletproof Exec...his site is amazing!).

The energy boost I get from my morning coffee is incredible and much longer-lasting nowadays, compared to how I used to feel after a normal cup of coffee with coffee creamer. At first, I started adding just coconut oil, but I find that the little bit of butter helps the oil incorporate, so it's less of an oil slick - but I still have to swirl it once in a while. Another big bonus is that my morning coffee, laden with these healthy fats, can easily stave off hunger until lunch time, so I don't need constant snacks throughout the day!

I have also found that I have tons of energy in the evening until I decide to go to bed, and consistently wake very refreshed, even if I've only gotten 5-6 hours of sleep. I don't have a midafternoon slump like I used to, and I largely attribute that to the addition of healthy fats, like coconut oil, and near elimination of sweets and bread in my diet (though I still enjoy a cookie now and then... :) I wish I had made these changes sooner!!

I've also been using it as a light facial moisturizer after showers, and it's been great for that. I feel much better knowing what I'm putting on my face. The oil is also a great hair serum! I use a tiny bit (just enough to barely coat the very tip of your finger) spread in my palms, then rub through the middle/ends of my almost dry hair, then roll it in a bun for about 10-20 minutes. When I unroll it, my hair is wavy and smooth and silky and feels just as good as if I had used one of those $50 an ounce serums from the salon! That's easily one of my favorite uses...

Coconut oil has been a great addition to my life, and I've been so excited about the changes in my energy and sleep in the last couple weeks. My boyfriend is beyond tired of hearing about it :)

A note of caution: Eating too much coconut oil at once, especially if you've never used it before, may give you an upset tummy and an urgent trip to the bathroom. After a quick search online, I found that this is most likely caused by die-off of bad bugs in the body. Apparently coconut oil is great for detox!

I promise, you will not be sorry for giving this a try!
on July 19, 2011
The other day my significant other looked at me and remarked..."You have the skin of a teenager". It is the dramatic improvement in my skin since I've been using this product. First my dry hair's texture was changed within a few days and I no longer have dandruff since using this product. Then my skin from the neck down has this kind of sheen that I have not had in 40 years...the last time I was a teenager. Also the acne on the back or my arms, backside and back of my thighs is gone. I used to slather on a tea tree oil lip balm several times a day. Now I rub in coconut oil on my lips in the morning and maybe one other time during the day, on the days I do not wear lipstick.

The thing that has struck me most is my face. I had been through microdermabrasion, chemical peels and all sorts of exfoliating products that are now all replaced by coconut oil. I'm not usually one for dramatic reviews, but this product has performed VERY FAR BEYOND MY EXPECTATIONS!!! Also by using this product I save a lot of money now that I no long have to use a ton of other products. I should note that I've been using this coconut oil for the last 4 or 5 months.

Update 11/2012
I thought my skin looked fabulous last year, but it has only gotten better. My large facial pores are significantly smaller and the acne breakouts that I used to have from time to time are history. My oily T-zone is history and yet it is hard for me to believe that an oil could render such dramatic results. I really thought that these resullts would have only been possible through some type of plastic surgery or at least interventions that would only be available through a plastic surgeon. I have historically had very oily skin and now each day I put coconut oil on my face. I used to put on a very tiny amount and if it seemed like too much, I quickly wiped off the excess. Now I put on more than I would have ever, ever considered just a few months ago and yet the results are even better.
77 comments|255 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2011
I came upon an article that recommended this product and it's 10 ways to use it so I though I would list them for other to see.

1) Moisturizer - massage into hands, legs, and feed -the oil's moisture locking lipids will give skin a soft glow.
2) Nail Strengthener - Work into nails to create a hydrating seal that will help prevent brittleness and hangnails.
3) Lip Balm - dot onto lips to keep them supple
4) Facial Scrub - to restore radiance, add a pocket of sugar to a dollop of oil and massage into face, then rinse.
5) Anti-frizz serum - Apply a dab to hair to seal the the cuticle and repel friz.
6) Deodorant - thanks to it's bacteria-killing lauric acid, smearing onto a glob of oil will nix foot and body odor.
7) Acne treatment - when dabbed on breakouts, the oil's lauric acid will gently heal acne without dehydrating the skin.
8) Anti-itch cream - swipe a film over bug bites or rashes, letting the oil's anti-inflammatory agents soothe the itch.
9) Lubricant - Sure, the oil is perfect for squeaky suitcase wheels, but a smidge also relieves "down-there" dryness.
10) Stomach soother - dissolve a spoonful in hot tea and sip. The oil's antimicrobial acids will help ward off indigestion causing bacteria and parasites.
11) cooking!
33 comments|332 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2007
I have not always been a fan of coconut stuff in the past. I would throw away coconut candy rather than eat it. My nose would wrinkle when coconut was used in grand cookie/cake decorations. I could tolerate coconut drinks because their was no texture issues to deal with, but I wouldn't order a coconut drink on my own. So what is a coconut aversion mom gonna do when I hear great things about coconut oil. I resisted trying it. But I finally tried it. Guess what, this is a great oil to cook with, and as a butter replacement to bake with. It has a light flavor, not overwhelming and is fairly tolerant of higher frying temps. Slightly higher than cheap olive oil, and slightly less than the extra virgin olive oil. I have even used it as a skin cream on my daughter's excema. Only coconut oil and udder cream will work on her skin. Everything else makes it burn. My teenage daughter has used it as a make-up remover with great success. We love it so much it looks like we will be going through a 54 ounce jar in about one month. I give this product a definitive thumbs up.