4.0 out of 5 stars Chia Seeds the Amazing Super Food
Published 15 months ago by Lynn Plunkett

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusted! Bugs/Webbing in bag
I am so disgusted. When I opened the bag there were bugs and webbing on the inside edges of the bag. Also, as previous reviewers have mentioned, there were little twig-like things mixed in with the seeds. Very disappointed with this brand! I'm glad that Amazon refunded my money.
Published 8 months ago by David Menzel

4.0 out of 5 stars Chia Seeds the Amazing Super Food, July 27, 2013
I had heard that Chia seeds were very healthy and they contained a lot of good things. I was scooping them in smoothies, and yogurt. Since that time, I did more research and found some interesting info. They are full of omega 3's. They give you energy. They expand 12 times there size if you use them correctly. They contain protein as well as fiber. 1 tbsp equals the protein of 1 egg. They help to regulate cholesterol. The list goes on and on. Something very helpfl to people who buy the seeds is in preparation. I was going through them quickly because I was using them incorrectly. Here is the correct way: For every tbsp you scoop out you add 1/2 to 3/4 cups of water depending on how thick you like it. I usually do 2 tbsp and 1 cup and 1/2 water. Then you leave the seeds in the water for 30 minutes before ever using them. After using them, store them in a container in the refrigerator. They will become like a jelly like pudding. They will last in the fridge for 2 weeks and you can scoop out tbsps and add them to all kinds of foods to get the health benefits. They don't have any taste so they blend into everything. Since the 2tbsp grows 12 x because it absorbs the water, it will last a lot longer and you will be getting a great deal more benefit from them. i am involved in a marathon walk/run training program. I was going on a longer run of 10 miles and needed something in my system that would give me energy but not cause a need for a bathroom trip along the way. I used the chia seeds for fuel in the form of a pudding with a piece of banana and stevia. It worked great. When you buy chia seeds, keep in mind why you are buying them. It is not for the taste. They don't have a taste. IT IS FOR THE AMAZING HEALTH BENEFITS. As far as the Nutiva brand, I am very happy with it. Just remember to order organic chia and stay away from anything made in China.

4.0 out of 5 stars Soluble fiber, not omega-3, is the reason why chia seeds are healthy for us, March 8, 2013
This review is from: Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds, 12-Ounce Bag (Grocery)
The short-chain omega-3 fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acid, is close to useless in improving our health. The average American can convert only about 3% to 5% of it into what he or she really needs, the phospholipid-based long-chain omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA. So what are the real reasons why chia seeds are healthy for us?

(1)Chia seeds are high in soluble fiber. Soluble fiber partly blocks the absorption of calories from fat. Also, soluble fiber feeds the good bacteria in the human digestive tract and greatly increases their numbers. The good bacteria manufacture beneficial chemicals which (1)kill the bad bacteria, (2)lower blood pressure, (3)cause weight loss, (4)prevent cancer, (5)prevent clogged arteries by improving cholesterol numbers, and (6)prevent constipation.

(2)Chia seeds are high in lignans. Lignans are phytoestrogens that prevent heart disease, cancer, and many other killer diseases. To derive the full health benefit from lignans, we only need to eat an extremely, extremely, extremely small amount of chia seeds or ground flaxseeds every other day.

(3)Chia seeds are high in phytate. Phytate is a powerful antioxidant that prevents heart disease, cancer, osteoporosis, and many other killer diseases. Phytate partly blocks the absorption of calories from starch and protein. Phytate partly blocks the absorption of toxic heavy metals such as mercury, lead, arsenic, and cadmium. Phytate partly blocks the absorption of iron, which is a cancer-causing and artery-clogging pro-oxidant. Phytate is greatly helpful to diabetics by partly preventing the breakdown of starch into glucose. Phytate slightly reduces the severity of flatulence.

(4)Chia seeds are high in phytosterols. Phytosterols partly block the absorption of cholesterol from our intestines by mimicking the chemical structure of the cholesterol molecule.

Product of Paraguay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chia seeds - work just how I hoped!, September 1, 2011
I recently found out about using chia seed to supplement fiber intake. I've been hooked on a chia seed/fruit juice drink I've been getting at the natural supermarket. It's delicious but pretty expensive ($3.00 a bottle). I decided to try and find chia seeds and make my own! I was happy to find that these Nutiva chia seeds are pretty inexpensive and they hydrate very nicely. I put 2 tbsp into a glass of water and popped it in the fridge at bedtime. The next morning I had nicely gelled chia seeds that were ready for the drinkin'! I mixed the hydrated seeds with a small amount of fruit juice and the result was almost exactly like the expensive drink from the supermarket. I'm very happy with these seeds and will buy them again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best hydration aide, September 15, 2010
I put these in my water our lemonade and stir them up every morning. They form a little gel coating that is virtually tasteless. They hold 10x their weight in water, so they are very helpful before a workout or when you're feeling a bit dehydrated. My husband loves them too, and I can barely keep them in the house. Love this product!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusted! Bugs/Webbing in bag, January 29, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasted money, April 2, 2014
They must have packaged it straight out of the dirt or something cause there is a lot of things mixed in besides the seeds. Not sure how it got so many 5 stars. Some filtering would have been nice.

1.0 out of 5 stars check the "best used by date", February 4, 2014
This review is from: Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds, 12-Ounce Bag (Grocery)
as usual, Amazon shipped within the expected timeframe but the "best before date" is Jan 2nd 2013!!! this item expired over a year ago and I just got it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality weed seeds mixed in, May 26, 2014
This review is from: Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds, 12-Ounce Bag (Grocery)
I am returning both bags because upon my first use, I see many weed seeds mixed in the container. I have been consuming chia seeds for many years because they're a great source of low-carb fiber that I can add to many recipes. Research chia weed seeds for your own edification, but for those of you considering this product, the weed seeds are very small compared to normal chia seeds and may be darker in color. There are just too many mixed in this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars New to Chia Seed, March 5, 2013
K. Bowman (Far North East Georgia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds, 12-Ounce Bag (Grocery)
Okay, I am falling in love with these little guys! They can be mixed in almost anything and are great as a topping as I found out today.
I have found that this brand is just fine. The seeds are black with some white mixed in. The smell is lightly nutty and there really is no taste, just feel in the mouth. One person mentioned worms being in the pack. I'm not sure if they actually found worms but they said they saw the seeds moving around in the bag. Not to worry! They are very little and the sack itself creates static inside which makes them look like they are moving around. The quality is great. No junk in the bag and all the seeds gel up as they are supposed to if real.
I've been mixing the seeds in my yogurt and today topped my peanut butter toast with them. The consistency is similar to seeds in blueberries or raspberries and they do tend to get stuck in your teeth and gel while there too. So you may want to swish something in your mouth really well or brush your teeth after eating them.
For new users, this product will quickly clear up digestive issues and if you use too much you might get plugged up, if you know what I mean. To counter act this you can also eat, or stir into tea or coffee, a couple of teaspoons of organic coconut oil. That is good for you too and tastes like candy to me. :)
I love this product and think you will too. Join me in getting healthier by eating these little beauties!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible! Weed seeds!, November 20, 2013
This review is from: Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds, 12-Ounce Bag (Grocery)
Terrible. There was a mix of colors, the seeds were immature, and there were tons of weed seeds (tiny black seeds) that other brands didn't have. Returning the product. Any suggestions on better brands?

Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds, 12-Ounce Bag