Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nutiva Organic Black Chia Seeds, 12-oz. Bag
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Flavor: Black|Size: 12 oz|Change

on July 27, 2013
I had heard that Chia seeds were very healthy and they contained a lot of good things. I was scooping them in smoothies, and yogurt. Since that time, I did more research and found some interesting info. They are full of omega 3's. They give you energy. They expand 12 times there size if you use them correctly. They contain protein as well as fiber. 1 tbsp equals the protein of 1 egg. They help to regulate cholesterol. The list goes on and on. Something very helpfl to people who buy the seeds is in preparation. I was going through them quickly because I was using them incorrectly. Here is the correct way: For every tbsp you scoop out you add 1/2 to 3/4 cups of water depending on how thick you like it. I usually do 2 tbsp and 1 cup and 1/2 water. Then you leave the seeds in the water for 30 minutes before ever using them. After using them, store them in a container in the refrigerator. They will become like a jelly like pudding. They will last in the fridge for 2 weeks and you can scoop out tbsps and add them to all kinds of foods to get the health benefits. They don't have any taste so they blend into everything. Since the 2tbsp grows 12 x because it absorbs the water, it will last a lot longer and you will be getting a great deal more benefit from them. i am involved in a marathon walk/run training program. I was going on a longer run of 10 miles and needed something in my system that would give me energy but not cause a need for a bathroom trip along the way. I used the chia seeds for fuel in the form of a pudding with a piece of banana and stevia. It worked great. When you buy chia seeds, keep in mind why you are buying them. It is not for the taste. They don't have a taste. IT IS FOR THE AMAZING HEALTH BENEFITS. As far as the Nutiva brand, I am very happy with it. Just remember to order organic chia and stay away from anything made in China.
2020 comments|673 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2014
Received their former packaging. No biggie. But then I found suspicious looking "seeds." First there was a tiny twig, but these look like something else entirely. Showed up in 3 batches of chia pudding I made.
review image
44 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2013
The short-chain omega-3 fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acid, is close to useless in improving our health. The average American can convert only about 3% to 5% of it into what he or she really needs, the phospholipid-based long-chain omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA. So what are the real reasons why chia seeds are healthy for us?

(1)Chia seeds are high in soluble fiber. Soluble fiber partly blocks the absorption of calories from fat. Also, soluble fiber feeds the good bacteria in the human digestive tract and greatly increases their numbers. The good bacteria manufacture beneficial chemicals which (1)kill the bad bacteria, (2)lower blood pressure, (3)cause weight loss, (4)prevent cancer, (5)prevent clogged arteries by improving cholesterol numbers, and (6)prevent constipation.

(2)Chia seeds are high in lignans. Lignans are phytoestrogens that prevent heart disease, cancer, and many other killer diseases. To derive the full health benefit from lignans, we only need to eat an extremely, extremely, extremely small amount of chia seeds or ground flaxseeds every other day.

(3)Chia seeds are high in phytate. Phytate is a powerful antioxidant that prevents heart disease, cancer, osteoporosis, and many other killer diseases. Phytate partly blocks the absorption of calories from starch and protein. Phytate partly blocks the absorption of toxic heavy metals such as mercury, lead, arsenic, and cadmium. Phytate partly blocks the absorption of iron, which is a cancer-causing and artery-clogging pro-oxidant. Phytate is greatly helpful to diabetics by partly preventing the breakdown of starch into glucose. Phytate slightly reduces the severity of flatulence.

(4)Chia seeds are high in phytosterols. Phytosterols partly block the absorption of cholesterol from our intestines by mimicking the chemical structure of the cholesterol molecule.

Product of Paraguay.
2828 comments|548 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2011
Nutritional benefits of Chia seeds are amazing. Here are a few to start:

*According to studies, Chia possesses the highest percentage of the polyunsaturated fatty acids (linolenic and linoleic) of all crops. Chia seeds contain 60% omega 3 fatty acids.

*The protein content of Chia is higher that other nutritional grains. Unlike other grains, it is a complete protein, meaning that it has the appropriate balance of all essential amino acids. About 19 to 23% of chia seeds weight is protein.

*Chia seeds are high in fiber, a 15 gm serving of chia seeds will provide 4 to 5 gm of fiber. Our body requires at least 35 gm of fiber a day to stay healthy.

*Chia seeds contain boron which is essential for bone health.

*Chia seeds are rich in calcium, about 2 oz of chia seeds contains 600 mg of Calcium, as compared to 120 mg for a cup of milk.

*Chia seeds have 2 times more potassium than banana.

*Chia seeds have 3 times more antioxidants than blueberries

Regardless of the astonishing nutritional values of Chia, it also tastes very good. My girlfriend and I make a big pot of "steel cut" oatmeal at night (the quick way is throw a cup of oats in 4 cups of boiling water and just let it sit overnight), put in a good helping of chia seeds, and the next morning you have a wonderful breakfast that could last all week depending on how many people are eating it. Feel free to add a little cinnamon, peanut butter, fruit, or your own oatmeal favorite additions.

There are many other recipes for eating Chia, but oatmeal is my personal favorite. I started eating Chia last year after reading the NY Times Bestseller 'Born to Run' about how a tribe of Mexicans that eat Chia will drink beer, smoke tobacco, and then run up to 500 miles in a footrace the following days. One of the primary contributors to the tribal Mexicans' seemingly supernatural physical ability is that their diet is full of the nutrient-rich Chia seeds. I haven't put in 500 miles. But after previously failing to finish a 26-mile marathon without chia in my diet, I added chia to my diet and my knees allowed me to finish my first 26-mile marathon! Could the chia seeds have helped? I think so. I certainly had more energy and my joints felt better my second attempt at a marathon when "on" the chia.

I started out paying an arm-and-a-leg at Whole Foods for Chia seeds, but have since started buying them on Amazon for a fraction of the price. Buy some Chia seeds and make a delicious bowl of oatmeal for one of the healthiest breakfasts possible. I have found that this 3-pound bag is a good size for getting a great bulk deal, but without taking up too much room in the cupboard.
11 comment|232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Flavor: Ground|Size: 12 oz.|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
If you don't know anything about chia, I have to tell you that it's pretty weird stuff. Soak the seeds in water or juice, and pretty soon you have a gelatinous mass. However, this goopey-looking stuff is packed with all sorts of really good things for your body.

I looked up chia seeds on nutritiondata (dot) self (dot) com, and this is what I found out:

1. Protein: chia contains an exceptionally complete protein that is built of 18 different amino acids (amino acids are the building blocks of proteins)
2. Minerals: Lots of minerals packed in there, very high in phosphorus and potassium
3. Fats: Whoo HOO! These little babies are jammed packed full of Omega-3s, and only tiny amounts of saturated fats
4. Carbs: 4% of your daily value in one ounce of dried seeds
5. Cholesterol and Sterols: None
6. Vitamins: Only trace amounts. Some sellers state that chia seeds are packed with vitamins, but the data on this site is from the FDA, so I would believe actual food scientists before I would believe a vendor.
7. Inflammation factor: Mildly anti-inflammatory (I guess it's not big into radical rhetoric)

Milled chia seeds don't have much in the way of flavor on their own. Chia is supposedly slightly nutty, but I think it really has no taste in particular at all.

There is evidence that milled seeds have more nutrition available to the body than whole ones. Some people claim that freshly milled seeds are better than ones that come milled already. (Sorry, can't provide the website URL where I read that - can't find it again.)

Interestingly enough, I found conflicting information on the web regarding how long chia can be stored. One site said that chia does not ever go rancid, another site said that it did. I have no way of knowing which site is correct as of yet.

You really do need to soak the chia before using because it absorbs a whacking amount of liquid from its surroundings, which it means it will pull the liquid right out of YOU if you eat it dry. The longer it soaks, the softer the seeds get. I even tried soaking it in almond milk, which worked out just fine.

I am into juicing, and my primary objective in getting the chia seeds was to add it to my juice every day. Update: When I first purchased the chia, I thought the thing to do would be to make a slurry of chia and water and store it in the refrigerator. I saw reference to the fact that such a slurry would keep in the fridge for two weeks. I tried it, and only after a few days, the slurry seemed to be getting cloudy. Obviously, this was an indicator that 'something' was going on in that bowl of a biological nature, and I didn't want to find out the hard way if it was spoilage. Therefore, I now mix one tablespoon of chia to 1/2 cup water right when I first get out the juicer. By the time all the veggies have been prepared and turned into juice, the chia has absorbed the water and turned soft. I then mix the juice and the chia together, and enjoy.

The downside to this product: As one other reviewer pointed out, the milled seeds are so fine they get caught in the ziplock track, and then the bag won't seal. I transferred mine into a small canister.

I am very happy with this product, and do recommend it. However, this is the first chia product that I have ever tried, so there may be better stuff out there.
review image review image
VINE VOICEon October 14, 2010
I ordered these chia seeds because I recently learned that chia seeds are supposed to be high in omega 3's and fiber. These seeds are organic and arrived securely packaged. The package even stated the date that the seeds were packed and the date by which they should be used. The price is lower than my local Whole Foods Market, so if you are interested in purchasing chia seeds, I would recommend this brand and this seller (My Natural Market).
on September 1, 2011
I recently found out about using chia seed to supplement fiber intake. I've been hooked on a chia seed/fruit juice drink I've been getting at the natural supermarket. It's delicious but pretty expensive ($3.00 a bottle). I decided to try and find chia seeds and make my own! I was happy to find that these Nutiva chia seeds are pretty inexpensive and they hydrate very nicely. I put 2 tbsp into a glass of water and popped it in the fridge at bedtime. The next morning I had nicely gelled chia seeds that were ready for the drinkin'! I mixed the hydrated seeds with a small amount of fruit juice and the result was almost exactly like the expensive drink from the supermarket. I'm very happy with these seeds and will buy them again.
55 comments|263 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2011
I like chia seeds and I also trust nutiva brand. I could have given 5 stars if it was white chia, since I like white better than blck. In any case, chia is a seed that you could use daily. I soak 3 table spoon full in a 8 oz or so of either cold or warm water, put it in the fridge for 24 hours. chia turns into a jar full of jelly like food. I put 3 t spoon full of this jelly in my morning berry and fruit bowl. Another use that I have for chia( soaked) is add to my dough for baking bread. Chia is a healthy food and 3 lbs of it would keep you happy for MORE THAN 6 MONTHS OR SO.
on January 29, 2014
I am so disgusted. When I opened the bag there were bugs and webbing on the inside edges of the bag. Also, as previous reviewers have mentioned, there were little twig-like things mixed in with the seeds. Very disappointed with this brand! I'm glad that Amazon refunded my money.
66 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 2, 2011
You'll have a difficult time finding better quality chia seeds than this. I've been eating chia seeds daily for over 5 years. I bought my first bags from a company who was the first and only online distributer at the time. There wasn't even a certified organic chia farm back then. I was happy to see chia take off in recent years. In my opinion, chia seed is the world's greatest seed, superior to flax seed - not only in nutrition, but also taste. Having tried chia seeds from a handful of companies, I feel that Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds are one of the best out there.

For a tasty drink that provides energy for hours, try 1 TBSP chia seeds, the fresh juice from 1/4 (to 1/2) a lime, a little honey or agave to taste, and 16 oz water. Stir everything and let sit for 20 minutes. You'll have a tasty high energy meal replacement. Enjoy!