4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, flavorful, and hexane-free
Published on February 2, 2011 by Observant I

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, cheap packaging.
I purchased oil primarily for use in making popcorn. I was told that coconut oil was what the movie theaters used to make their popcorn so good. The oil is good, not movie theater great, but better that vegetable oil. My complaint and the reason I give it a three out of five is the packaging. It's cheap. Real cheap. The container was tipped over on the counter (did not...
Published on September 21, 2009 by Thom Schreck

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, flavorful, and hexane-free, February 2, 2011
This review is from: Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 29oz, (Pack of 2) (Grocery)
I've tried a few different brands of extra-virgin coconut oil, and for the most part I'm equally satisfied with them all. Despite the marketing hype, coconut oil brands within each category (virgin, refined, hydrogenated) are very similar. I should specify the qualities I look for in a coconut oil: I want a coconut oil with a rich coconut aroma and taste, maximum nutrition, and minimal processing. For these reasons, I always select an organic, extra-virgin, cold-pressed oil.

I'm pleased that this Nutiva Organic Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil provides these qualities along with an easy-to-find "packed on" and "best before" date. The jars I ordered in late January 2011 were packed on September 13, 2010, and the "best before" date is September 13, 2012. Stored correctly (cool, dark location, no refrigeration needed), this nutrient-dense oil stays fresh for two years. It smells and tastes great--coconutty and slightly sweet.

According to Nutiva, no hexane is used in the processing of this oil. Hexane is a petroleum-derived solvent used in all kinds of industrial applications, from shoe manufacturing to roofing. Interestingly, because hexane's primary molecular structure is carbon, it can be passed off as "organic." Do a little research; "cold-pressed," "organic," AND "hexane-free" are key considerations when selecting your coconut oil for nutrition purposes.

I'm not as pleased with the plastic jars. In fact, I took off a star as a result of the plastic packaging. I feel that a quality organic oil should be stored in a glass jar, and ideally a dark one to reduce oxidation. I've actually selected coconut oils specifically because they come in glass jars, and might have bypassed this product if I hadn't found it on sale at a good price. I put this information in the review to aid those of you who are looking for a coconut oil in a glass jar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for like, everything., November 6, 2009
J-J-J-Jinx (Silicon Valley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My bf and I both have subscriptions for this coconut oil. It's a great way to get it for an AMAZING price. I used to order the larger size and I was disappointed when it was unavailable for a while and I had to order the two pack in this smaller size (although really 29 ounces is not that small) but in the end I like it much better. With two smaller ones we can each have one if we end up running out around the same time otherwise, half of the coconut oil stays fresh and unopened. Oh, and if you want to put some on right after a shower, the smaller jar is more likely to actually fit in your shower.

We tried other coconut oils and they were...well...gross. Really rancid tasting. We use this in deep dish pizza crust and the one time we used another brand we basically ruined two giant 14 inch pizza pies. We also use it for flour tortillas, pie crust, refried beans, smoothies, coffee cake, um, all kinds of things. I am planning to try using it instead of butter in a croissant recipe, although I expect it will be quite tricky since it melts at a slightly lower temperature than butter, and gets harder when it hardens. Put it in the fridge and it is hard as a rock.

Anyway, we now use this stuff about as much as we use olive oil, and we've found it actually showing up in recipes in some newer cookbooks now, too, rather than us just trying to substitute and seeing how it works out. It does have a strong coconut smell and flavor, which enhances some recipes in a FABULOUS way, but may be detrimental in others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Baking-, February 21, 2009
This is great for baking. I use it in place of butter for all baking at 350 degrees F. Everyone loves my gluten-free, dairy-free brownies. The oil is hard when refridgerated (cold brownies), but liquifies above 78 degrees F., so it literally melts in your mouth. It also gives brownies a great extra sweetness. You can use it in place of butter or lard in most baking recipes. I also use it in the pancake pan and egg pan and to grease pans before baking. However, this larger-sized bottle is more expensive per oz. than the subscribe and save's other option- two smaller bottles.

4.0 out of 5 stars The latest plastic container is a number 2 HDPE, September 15, 2011
I had to chime in here. I have the 29oz and have looked all over the web (including the Nutiva site) to see if they mention what plastic this container is. Nowhere is it to be found. There are a handful of mentions of no. 1 plastic (when it was in a clear jar). But nothing about these white plastic jars that now seem to be the norm for most sizes. So when I got home today I turned mine over and found a "2". HDPE. Don't have to worry about BPA but I don't know much about HDPE.

If they carried this in a glass jar I would be happier though I would need to find at local brick and mortar stores because I am sure shipping would be a lot. Like others on account of the container, I give it a 4 star rating.

This is the BEST EVCO I have had to date and I will continue to use it. As for transferring it to another container: I have many Ball jars because I use a foodsaver vacuum sealer to keep things. However, the lining of the jar lids is apparently BPA rich. So, I will keep it in the white plastic number 2 and hope for the best.

Again, this is a great quality EVCO and I haven't heard a single bad word about it except for the plastic jar so wanted to add what information I could for those making a decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly fresh coconut smell and multiple uses, plus ORGANIC, July 27, 2009
Mir (North Miami Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a marvelous product with some interesting health benefits (google it up). You can use it in baking, frying, in sauces, for vegan raw pies, mix with chocolate for puddings, moisturize your hair or skin, soothe rough elbows, etc.

This melts really fast in a pan, so you don't need a high heat. I fry eggs in it, and the coconut taste is subtle. Any ethnic dish that requires sauteeing or saucing and can benefit from a fresh coconut flavor, this is useful. I've cooked meats in it, as well. If you hate the smell/taste of coconut, obviously, this is not for you.

This brand, Nutiva, is organic and virgin. It smells so good. And I have an old jar that I never finished (really big one), and nearly two years later, after sitting right by the stove, it still smells fresh, like Cuban coconut candy my mom used to make. Yes, solid and fresh and white and fragrant TWO YEARS LATER. This is a very stable product.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, March 28, 2011
This is the only coconut oil that I use!

Buy it in the summer, when it is liquid. That way you can easily pour the contents into glass jars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ordering my 3rd 2 pack in 2 months, August 4, 2009
I love this stuff! It has a very light coconut taste. I have it on english muffins, toast, pancakes and oatmeal in the morning. I've used instead of oil or butter in desserts. With toast it tastes great with a little peanut butter. I also use it on my whole body as a moisterizer and as a conditioner for my hair. It goes on your skin a little greasy but soaks in within 5 minutes. I no longer break out and my skin looks much clearer, much like when I was a kid. I put it on before we went to a water park last week, and I the only place I sunburned was by my bathing suit straps where I didn't apply very well. I will never go without this stuff on my shelves again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best food of all time!, October 14, 2008
Coconut oil is the only non-stimulant food I know that does speed up your metabolism miraculously! And Nutiva's coconut oil is among the most refined high quality ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice surprise, December 12, 2010
I purchased this order so that I could make home-made soap for the holidays. I hesitated because of the price but yet I wanted a organic "quality" home-made soap so I clicked the buy button. When the shipment came I opened it and fell in love with the smell. I tasted it and loved the taste and was hooked. I started putting it in my oatmeal and bake goods, replaced standard oils in all my cooking--the taste was AWESOME. I also just ate some on a spoon and used it as a lotion. The first thing I noticed was my hands and lips (both were very chapped prior to using) became very soft. My husband said today how young my hands looked--and told me how his twin brother (who is single) said you can tell a lady's age by there hands and my husband said mine looks much younger (I will keep him too). Another thing I noticed my lab-mixed dog would beg for it everytime I opened the jar. He would come running from where ever he was into the kitchen to beg. My husband broke down and feed him some, and HE LOVE IT! He has very dry skin and it seems to already help him. He now begs us for our oatmeal at breakfast. This dog has been trained not to beg but something in the oil makes him forget his training. Plus, I never heard of a dog liking oatmeal or oil. So today I will order more and give the jars as gifts and hopefully someday I will have enough left to make my soap.

UPDATE: Gave this out as stocking stuffers and at first people were looking at me strange at such an odd gift BUT the feedback has been so positive (even got a call at 11:30 pm to tell me how yummy it was on their popcorn and it was the hit of their movie night party) and wanting to know other ways to use the oil. I was also told by someone who orders coconut oil from amazon, to order it only in the "COLD" months because the oil's melting point is so low and the spring/summer heat will melt the product and may leak---SO I will make sue I am stocked-up for my hot-weather needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, October 10, 2010
Nutiva coconut oil,is great in cooking, using as a moisturizer. The main reason I'm writing this is because when I first started taking about 6 mouths ago, just basically eating a good spoonful a day my blood pressure was a lot lower, I quit doing that for a while and it went back up. I started eating it again recently and have been checking my blood pressure and its lower again, which is great. Just wanted to share that.