5.0 out of 5 stars Timely and Unbiased
Published on November 25, 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
I liked the list of foods,but I didn't like the % rating of each item, with the circles and dividing of the circles. I like to see a number like you did the meats and the nuts. I keep track of my calories and fats, potassium etc. and I don't want to try to figure it out using a percentage of the RDA.
Published 14 months ago by Linda Kulinski

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Timely and Unbiased, November 25, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Nutrition Action Health Letter - Us ed (Magazine)
Remember those exposes on the content of a Cinnabon bun? Or a serving of Kung Pao chicken? This is the newsletter that broke those stories. Published by the Center for Science in the Public Interest, this small newsletter (10-20 pages) is packed with info and *no ads*. Each issue has a cover story (for example Cancer, Does Fat make you Fat?, Nutrion and Aging, Which Vitamins are right for you, etc.) which gives high level statics and attempts to divide myth from fact based on interviews with respected experts. Most articles are accompanied by a table of comparisons with nutritional information with their recommendations marked as "Best Bites" (recent reviews include ice cream, peanut butter, vegetables, etc.). There is a regular column with recipes and the back page features two new products, one healthy, one not. Well written unbiased timely reporting on nutrition. What more can you ask for?

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!!, October 10, 2004
This review is from: Nutrition Action Health Letter - Us ed (Magazine)
I have a subscription to this mag. for the last 10 years( I'm now 33). I have moved several times and after a month or two they will start to catch up. On the inside cover is info on contacting them.

I love it because they have no ads in it and they are very very honest about all information on nutrition, additives, diet books, heart healthy, etc.. For example, They don't have Pepsi in 2/3's of the mag. so they can't say anything bad about diet soda in fear of having the sponsor pull out. The tell it ALL like it is. This is not a magazine if your looking for information like you get in Woman's Day, or one of those ad. packed magazines with one more way to loose 50 pounds over night while you sleep. It has really helped me to make wise choices for my family on what are the best kinds of foods to eat. The more we know, the better our choices will be for our families and ourselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Health and Nutrition, December 26, 2009
This review is from: Nutrition Action Health Letter - Us ed (Magazine)
As a physician this is my most highly recommended periodical on nutrition. Its also the most completely read and newsletter received by my entire family. What is better than factual ad-free nutrition information, a rarity indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loyal subscriber since 1974, July 2, 2005
Liisa Martin "Liisa" (Grand Rapids, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nutrition Action Health Letter - Us ed (Magazine)
According to my economic ability to do so, I have subscribed to this magazine since 1974 without any problems. Over the years, it has influenced me and my family to eat more vegetables and to be leery of the advertising on food packaging. I have learned to read ingredient labels and enjoy the latest scientific information about food without the usual bombardment of advertising, as this magazine doesn't accept advertising. What you get is approximately sixteen pages of articles and news items. It includes such things as recipes for making healthier sandwiches, which frozen foods are healthier among certain brands, specific brands to avoid based on lack of healthy ingredients, and occasionally recipes. Some months the main article is totally engrossing; sometimes it is less interesting, but the interesting articles make subscribing worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing source of good, easy-to-read information, January 3, 2006
This review is from: Nutrition Action Health Letter - Us ed (Magazine)
I have never been compelled to review anything on Amazon until now. I've subscribed to this newsletter for almost a year, and in that time I've changed significant life choices (watching my salt intake, dropping some prepared food brands from my purchases) due completely and only to the information I read in this newsletter.

It takes very little time to go through the articles and find the one(s) that'll hit you that month. The newsletter is very thin, infrequent, and 100% worth the money. Isn't your health worth a few bucks a year?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Information for a Great Price, January 20, 2009
This review is from: Nutrition Action Health Letter - Us ed (Magazine)
I have only received one issue, but it is extremely informative. I am a health food information junkie, and there's info in here that I haven't read about anywhere else. I had no problem getting it on time. I signed up at the beginning of December and received my first issue mid-January. The newsletter comes monthly except for there's no February issue and no August issue. That might be why some people aren't getting theirs for a while. I think it depends on when you sign up.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Newsletter for the Little Guy, February 23, 2011
This review is from: Nutrition Action Health Letter - Us ed (Magazine)
Nutrition Action is an excellent source that is willing to to provide accurate and informative information based on science and not corporate PR. The magazine has on many occasions been at the forefront of informing consumers what is and what is not working. In example, we've all heard the adage to drink eight cups of water today. NA found no study to support this claim. Vegetables ward of cancer? Not necessarily so in most cases NA announced. Looking for in-depth analysis? Its here. Looking for a synopsis? It's here to. Each article provides a summary, key findings, and the specific actions you can easily use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Condensed Information, January 31, 2011
Spudman (Pasadena, MD United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Nutrition Action Health Letter - Us ed (Magazine)
New subscribers might be put off at first by this anorexic-looking little newsletter until one realizes that the publication contains no ads, just pure, unadulterated information.

This newsletter from the Center for Science in the Public Interest is not for the casual reader. Readers who care deeply about proper nutrition won't mind reading a lengthy feature article rich with information and the latest findings.

Also included in the newsletter are snippets of recent studies and information about specific brands and food items.

I like the comparative charts, often a full page in length, comparing breads, cookies, snacks, yogurts, fries, or whatever food is featured that month.

The price for this publication is not exorbitant, and one who subscribes is also supporting the the watchdog pursuits of the CSPI.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Newsletter!, November 26, 2011
A. Carter (Bellingham, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nutrition Action Health Letter - Us ed (Magazine)
I agree with the positive comments here 100%. Great newsletter. Unbiased and very informative. It's the "Consumers Report" in the area of nutrition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent NewsLetter, January 26, 2013
Conspicuous Consumer (Georgia Regents University) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nutrition Action Health Letter - Us ed (Magazine)
I renew a dozen subscriptions a year (at Christmas, half price) for the whole family. Their advice is backed by science, not anecdotal evidence (Aunt Mae said I should ...). They provide information in an easy to understand format that is otherwise hard to find or understand.

The negative reviews have NOTHING to do with the quality of the publication.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›