5.0 out of 5 stars Finicky, but it won't melt...
I used to have a SoyJoy and one time I forgot to add the water and it melted. Made the same mistake with the Nutritionist and it didn't melt. That proves that the Nutritionist is safer. I also realized that the Nutritionist was just better.

Published on October 18, 2004 by Luis Roncayolo

3.0 out of 5 stars Molly V Huang
My husband and I received a Nutritionist Soy Milk Maker for Christmas last year. To us, the idea of making our own soy milk was so cool that we bought 4 more units from an online-retailer and gave them as belated Christmas gifts for our friends.
Published on March 5, 2001 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Molly V Huang, March 5, 2001
Amazon Customer "josephang" (Garden city, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nutritionist SY5A Soy Milk Maker (Kitchen)
Our unit came with a factory defect in the locking mechanism which made the machine harder to use (though functionable). We contacted Salton about this problem. To this date we have not yet heard from them.
This morning, the grinder in our unit stopped working. We believe the motor burned out from our twice-a-week usage. Once again, we contacted Salton about this problem. Hopefully, they respond this time. We will let you know if they take care of this problem.
Making your own Soy Milk is fabulous. Perhaps, it is about time to check out other manufacturers if Salton does not take care of their products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junky product; Not worth the money you spend on it, October 20, 2001
This review is from: Nutritionist SY5A Soy Milk Maker (Kitchen)
This thing just plain doesn't work. I'd like to see the results of those people who claim it made milk successfully; I bet the stuff that came out doesn't even closely resemble soy milk.
1) I soaked the beans as instructed and started the machine. It incessantly beeped at me with its "something is wrong" message. I kept fiddling with it and started it over until it finally completed one cycle. That was the first problem.
2) There is no heating element! Your soy milk is heated by something exactly like the hot plate that keeps your coffee warm in your coffee maker. It just isn't capable of heating the soy milk to proper temperatures.
3) Don't be fooled by the stainless steel appearance in the picture. Don't expect high-quality. It is a flimsy thin steel that I'm sure would dent if you were a little too rough with it.
This is a horrible product that was surely ill-conceived from the start.

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't recommend this brand...., January 11, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Nutritionist SY5A Soy Milk Maker (Kitchen)
I got the Nutritionist Soymilk maker for a present and was delighted at the idea. However, after three batches the plastic strainer had ripped in numerous places. I don't like the idea of a plastic strainer as it is because plastic gives off estrogen like chemicals when heated. A stainless steel basket would have been more approprete. The manual states the milk will boil for 10 minutes. But the finished product is not hot enough to have boiled for even one minute. I am going to return my appliance and look for a better brand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nutritionist SY5 Soy Milk Maker, March 7, 2001
Helen T Tell (Yuma Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nutritionist SY5A Soy Milk Maker (Kitchen)
The Nutritionist SY5 Soy milk maker, works fine, except; I don't like the plastic basket inside the maker. There is a soy milk maker, with stainless still basket & the mash. It makes okara (left over from the milk)very fine like a paste.I use that in every meal that I prepare.Most of all,try couple spoons in the pancake batter--delicious !! You can order on web [...] or call1-888-228-3082. Price $125.00 mention "code 101" to get $5.00 off. Shipment $12.00 Good luck.

3.0 out of 5 stars nutritionist soymilk works, but could be improved, January 4, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Nutritionist SY5A Soy Milk Maker (Kitchen)
For [PRICE] at a local store, it seemed to be worth a try. After useing for 2 months, I have come to find out that it is not as sturdy as I would like. The basket is attached to the grinder and is difficult to clean, with only the lid coming off. My finger barely squeezes between the blade to clean the inside out. The process takes about 20 minutes and produces pretty good milk, but I feel it needs sweetening before drinking. The machine is very hot and takes quite awhile to cool before being able to make a second batch. One cup of dry beans, soaked for 6 hours, will make one gallon, but only one quart at a time. There is a bit of beany flavor.
My next soymilk maker will be the SoyaJoy

2.0 out of 5 stars If it worked it would be great., August 14, 2000
Marjorie Acuff (Bend, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nutritionist SY5A Soy Milk Maker (Kitchen)
I purchased this model in March, not from Amazon.com. The design is great but it wouldn't heat the milk to boiling which it must do to kill an enzyme that the human body cannot digest. It took almost exactly 1 month to get a replacement from Salton, the manufacturer. The replacement had the same defect as the original model. I gave up and now put the milk in a pan and boil it, which defeats much of the purpose of the machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finicky, but it won't melt..., October 18, 2004
This review is from: Nutritionist SY5A Soy Milk Maker (Kitchen)

If you are used to commercial soy milk, you may not like the real thing... it doesn't have the additives and sweeteners that make it more like cow's milk.

Some key points:

1. use organic beans (why go to this trouble otherwise?)
2. soak the beans overnight, around 10 hours = better flavor
3. fill the basket with soaked peas = more flavor
4. only fill the water to the minimal level = not watery
5. only remove from the heating element until it cools = more flavor
6. use Stevia for a sweetener = cuts the beany taste + no calories

Note: the soaking time will change with the season, less time is needed in warm weather and more in colder weather.

Cleaning: do it right away after removing the milk. You can use a stiff brush for most of the surfaces. For the inner basket use and old toothbrush or a plastic scouring pad that you can control with a single finger. You will want to dismantle the blade at some point to replace the metal washer (gets rusty) with a plastic washer.

I actually lost the top unit and was able to get a replacement by calling the manufacturer. $20 for a top (no basket) and new cylnder.

1.0 out of 5 stars what did I do wrong?, September 23, 2003
spectrum (Flint, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nutritionist SY5A Soy Milk Maker (Kitchen)
I buy soy milk all the time, so I thought the soy milk maker would be most convenient and economical for me. I bought this Salton nutritionist on eBay. It is supposed to be new in the box. I don't know if something is wrong with this unit or that it has a bad design.
I soaked the beans for 6 hours, and expected soy milk. But no sooner did I turn the machine on. It gave out a screeching sound. The foam from the beating of the beans, for just a few seconds, got onto the L-shaped metal senser. So I cleaned the sensor and the inside wall of the pitcher out and restart the unit. After a couple of seconds, it screeched again. This happened 4 times. It's a pretty annoying way to make soy milk. Did that happen to anybody else out there?
There is really more. So the second time I used the maker, I decided not to use so much water. Instead of adding water between the min and max mark, I had it just below the min. Then it foams up again, and again. Then it was all OK, I heard the grinding sound, stopped, more grinding, stop... I thought it should be about done, but when I checked, the soy milk was all over the floor... I'm afraid to use it now. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plasticy, January 1, 2005
This review is from: Nutritionist SY5A Soy Milk Maker (Kitchen)
Plastic bean basket is a bad idea. Stainless steel is much more durable. As for the beany taste, that's partly a fault of the unit. The milk needs to be heated to a specific temp to break down the beany taste. Good soy milk still has a light bean flavor, but a little vanilla, or cocoa, and stevia (natural, non-caloric sweetner) will easily cover it up. Fresh soy milk also has no additives you don't put in it as well as enzymes and other helpful compounds not found in commercial brands. Have had a Soya Joy for 4 years without a hitch. Just a better design.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great but..., August 13, 2000
This review is from: Nutritionist SY5A Soy Milk Maker (Kitchen)
I bought this machine a few months ago. It is very simple to use and only takes about fifteen minutes to go through an entire cycle. There is some noise as the grinding blades go on and off four or five times during the first few minutes. The ground and cooked soybeans which are a by-product of the process are very easy to use up - being tasteless, they can be added to anything from corn muffin batter to spaghetti sauce and contribute high quality nutrition to the dish. The only problem I have is that the resulting milk is not as good as store bought. I've made a list of the additives in the commercial brands and am experimenting with each batch trying to duplicate that good taste. If anyone out there has any suggestions I'd appreciate your input.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›