5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for.
Published on February 25, 2012 by Amazon Shopper

3.0 out of 5 stars The only game in town, but...
I've got two versions of this book: the blue cover version and the one that came in my CD bookshelf. I'm usually quite positive about nutshell books. Usually.

Published on May 14, 2008 by Stephen Mann

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars The only game in town, but..., May 14, 2008
This review is from: Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth Edition (Paperback)

While this is pretty much the only one-stop Unix reference in town when you don't have the man pages to hand, there are some perplexing omissions from the "unix command" section. Nothing to do with networking, for example. No netstat, ifconfig, nslookup. Odd, in a world when a non-networked computer is surely a rarity. Yes, the stuff is probably in the networking O'Reilly books (mine are on order as I type) but you'd think in this day and age...

Yesterday I was flipping through and noticed there was no entry for "mount" or "umount" either.

You should probably own one of these if you have a job in the Unix computing biz, but before long you might find yourself asking "what will I need today that won't be in a nutshell?"

Seriously, O'Reilly should be looking into rewriting this little gem to make it properly comprehensive again.

[EDIT 2/4/14] Please see MR Jones's interesting response in the comments below for an alternative view of this book's usefulness and audience before dismissing it.[/EDIT]

3.0 out of 5 stars not as well done as earlier (excellent) edition, January 21, 2011
This review is from: Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth Edition (Paperback)
My old (1992) edition was getting a bit beat and out of date, so I got this new one. What a pain to use! I still end up using the old copy most of the time. Maybe it's my old eyes, or O'Reilly trying to squeeze everything into one book, but the print is smaller, lighter, and generally harder to read. The bold-faced headings are smaller and less bold. The page headings are smaller and non-bold compared the the actual command headings. Put the old and new editions side-by-side and the new one looks like the output of a laser printer whose toner cartridge need to be replaced. And who thought it was a good idea to divide the critical chapter on commands (Ch.2) into 5 sections? Now there are potentially 5 places to look something up. And opening randomly to chapter 2, one can flip forward and backward alphabetically to the correct spot, only to find you've been in the wrong section.

Content: ***** (as usual, O'Reilly books are definitive)
Usability: *

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for., February 25, 2012
This review is from: Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth Edition (Paperback)
Thrown into the unix world with no preparation, I needed an easy way to find reminders. Familiar with DOS from years back, I thought it would be second nature to run with unix, but found remembering everything to be more than I was able to do. This book is getting heavy use reminding me of syntax and usage, so it is exactly what I need to help me out. If you want to learn unix, this book is not the book for you. If you want a quick handy reference to remind or reinforce what you DO know, this is the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect reference, September 5, 2008
This review is from: Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth Edition (Paperback)
This is in my opinion the best UNIX reference book on the market today. If you need to program or work in the OS you should own this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars New and Improved Version of a Classic, February 6, 2006
Todd Hawley (San Francisco CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth Edition (Paperback)
I took a UNIX class twelve years ago and the instructor referred to the various UNIX versions around at that time as the "31 flavors of UNIX." Since then, we've seen LINUX (and its various versions), Mac OS and Sun Solaris among others also appear. So along with "good old" System V and BSD and HP-UNIX and several other "older" versions, we have even more "UNIX flavors" now. And this new edition covers them all. The newly revised Unix command and Unix Shell chapters cover all the changes and also include information about the bash and tcsh shells. in fact, bash and tcsh have their own chapters.

There's also a chapter devoted to the Emacs editor, one of the first text editors I ever used. Also one for vi, another editor I use often. I have to admit a bit of sadness that the text formatting chapter on Nroff and Troff is gone (save for commands for writing man pages), but with LaTeK the program of choice nowadays, this was inevitable.

I really liked the previous versions of this book which let me look up commands on the fly whenever I needed to, but I'm glad to see this updated edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for those familiar with Unix/Linux, October 1, 2011
This review is from: Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth Edition (Paperback)
Good book for use with directory management and other shell commands. A word of caution for those who are new to Unix that this book is a little advance, however with practice and time you will come to enjoy this book. I would recommend to others interested in learning the Unix/Linux/Sun systems/Mac systems, this book is for you. I take the book with me on my travels just in case my contract requires me to work on Unix computers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful reference book about Unix OS, November 23, 2008
This review is from: Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth Edition (Paperback)
Let me start off by saying that if you are looking for a introductory book about Unix and you have no experience with Unix OS whatsoever, this is not a book for you. If you are new to Unix OS, then you should consider buying the O'Reilly book,"Learning the Unix Operating System."

Like the cover page says, this book is a reference book. This book covers GNU/Linux OS, Mac OS, Solaris OS, Unix commands, Bash Shells, Korn Shells, package management, emacs editor, and many other information that are very useful to Unix programmers, system administrators, and Unix users.

If you have a bit of experience with Unix, this book should be a must.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful book to learn most important unix things, good chapters on awk & sed, but also has some redundant material, May 16, 2007
GPK (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth Edition (Paperback)
This is a review of the 3th edition of Unix in a nutshell. The book has almost 600 pages, roughly divided as follows:

- 200 p. on unix commands: good stuff, to the point, summaries of all commands, with examples.

- 100 p. on shells, (bash, kch, csh: good stuff, summary of commands, examples.

- 5 p. on pattern matching: way too short! Here I miss a good and thorough section on regular expressions !

- 40 p. on various editors (emacs, vi, ex): useful if you use them, I prefer a GUI editor these days.

- 30 p. on awk & sed: good stuff, but this should be expanded. I learned at lot here, but I still want to know more.

- 100 p. on stuff I never use (troff, mm ms me macros (?) ... )

- 50 p. on the make utility and related stuff only programmers use.

Bottom line: the sections on unix commands, csh, awk and sed are really good. The rest is only who those who really need it. And if you have never heard of it, you probably are not in this group. So the 'good half' of this book is nice to have as reference on your desk.

Advice: buy this book used for a few euro's and you cannot go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ok reference. Not for a beginner though..., March 7, 2006
Alex Vox (Winnetka, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth Edition (Paperback)
The book has almost 600 pages. Lots of the stuff you need to know, but can never totally remember is here. I still use the earlier edition of this book as a easy to use reference for UNIX/Linux. It works well in a variety of UNIX flavors.
It can be used as a handy reference by someone who already knows some UNIX. It tries to be a reference for all but on many subjects it is lacking. I give it 5 stars because as a concise reference book for day to day routine it works. It is not a book for a beginner. If you are just starting, "dummy's" book will be better choice or try Linux and UNIX for a beginner complete training suite, 4DVDs + 2CDs ed.2008

If you have some experience with Linux/Unix and need concise reference this book can help.

5.0 out of 5 stars In a nutshell, May 19, 2014
This review is from: Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth Edition (Paperback)
Any comment on a book like this is almost presumptuous. A master work in its own right indispensable to Unix users.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth Edition
Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth Edition by Arnold Robbins (Paperback - November 5, 2005)
$34.95 $22.76