4.0 out of 5 stars The only toy that won't be immediately destroyed
Published on March 10, 2008 by Crimson-Ribbon

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE
We've had several nylabones for our dogs. They loved chewing on them and the bones seemed to hold up very well--until a piece broke off and lodged in the small intestine of my dachsund. Since it's plastic, it doesn't show up in x-rays and the blockage wasn't identified until it was too late. Always supervise your pet when they are chewing anything that can be chewed up!
Published on May 10, 2010 by Barbara

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE, May 10, 2010
Barbara (Santa Maria, CA United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars The only toy that won't be immediately destroyed, March 10, 2008
I never liked nylabones before I got them for my dogs. They always seemed dirty, hair sticks to the ends after they've been chewed and dogs will make their gums bleed chewing them. But my dogs make quick work of any chewy (they finish even very large edible chewies in less than one minute), so we got the durable nylabones and the dogs love to chew them. They are not indestructable but they last for months even with daily use. The dogs do make their gums bleed chewing them at first but I was surprised to see how clean their teeth are now. A good thing to have for a serious chewer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Received wrong product, but more importantly: Not safe for dogs!, April 25, 2012
This review is from: Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper (Misc.)
My dogs love nylabones, and we've been buying them for years. I recently decided to stock up and ordered 4 nylabones! They arrived quickly, but one of the packages was partially open. They also had a new textured look that I wasn't sure my dogs would like. The picture indicated that the product I would be receiving would be the same untextured nylabones that my dogs love.

However, those aren't the only reasons I'll be returning them. We just took one of our dogs to the vet this week, and had to spend almost $1,000 getting two cracked teeth removed! Our vet said that nylabones are too hard for dogs' teeth, and recommended that we use raw bones from the butcher instead. Nylabones are the only chew toys my dogs have used, so there is nothing else that could have cracked my dog's teeth. Please be cautious, and talk to your vet about whether nylabones are a safe choice for your dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Lab loves it, September 4, 2010
Sardan (Round Rock) - See all my reviews
My Lab has always been an extremely aggressive chewer, to the point where we don't dare get him any plush chew toys any more because they'll be shredded on the first day. We got this for him when he was about 4 months old and he showed no interest in it. He much preferred the Nylabone Dura Chew Wishbone Wolf instead. This was simply too big for him and he preferred other chew toys that fit his smaller jaws better.

He's now 7 months old and he's grown to the point where he LOVES this Nylabone. It's super hard so it'll last a very long time for even the most aggressive chewer. As with any hard plastic chew you need to supervise: throw it out before it gets too small.

3.0 out of 5 stars No This Will Not Kill Your Dog, September 25, 2012
I just want to see that the "Most Helpful Critical Review" is NOT what you should go off of. At the time of writing, this person claims warnings and that your dog can die. If you read your review, she states her dogs chew at these until nothing is left. For the record, the instruction manual in the packaging and common sense say that if large chunks are breaking off or the nubs on the end get too worn, then THROW IT AWAY. Not doing so can very well kill your dog, but thats because hes not using it properly. People die from ladders too, doesnt mean I'm gonna stop using it so long as I follow instructions.

On to the item itself. I love Nylabones. My Husky loves Nylabones. I usually get just the regular basic ones, but my dog is coming up on a year old, weighs 43 pounds, and chews like crazy. So I purchased the Dura-Chew Large, rated for dogs over 50 pounds. I looked at pictures, read reviews and thought "I can't wait; he'll actually be able to use it for more than a week". The item arrived, and by the next day large gashes were on one side, and the other was already bristling (it's supposed to, see my above paragraph if you don't read instructions). By the middle of the next week, I threw it out.

So I give it three stars. It's a great product, my dog loved it, and he used it. However, I certainly would not call this "Dura-Chew", nor rate it at 50 lbs+. Perhaps the weight rating is only for the size of the bone. A good product, but powerful chewers look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product for aggressive chewers, April 22, 2010
The Nylabone Souper is the best product I have found for my aggressive chewing dog, a lab mix. Nylabones give her a safe and very effective outlet for her chewing needs, and help keep her teeth clean. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dental risk, May 23, 2012
This review is from: Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper (Misc.)
I just spent $1,400 on dental work for my two dogs, both of whom broke multiple teeth on these bones. The Bones do prevent tartar build-up but at an unacceptable cost. I believe this product should carry safety warnings because the vet told us that this is a common problem with the hard bones.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended for overzealous chewers., May 28, 2012
I initially started my dog off on these as the gummy version was too easy for her to tear apart. A few months later during my vet visit, she noticed my dog had two slab fractures on her molars. Granted, my dog would tear into these, but now she has ruined her teeth and requires a crown for both molars. I now use kongs with treats that I replace once they start to look worn.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best so far, December 23, 2010
These are my dog's "inside bones". They last and last and last without turning into little chunks all over the rug. The dog is an 85 pound "working dog" - which means high energy and really annoying when bored. He's had some of these nylabones for over two years. I only have to replace them when he sneaks one outside and buries it.

Yes, letting the dog out has its own ritual. "Inside bone!" -clunk- as bone drops to the floor, hopefully missing my foot.

In comparison, the "outside" bones tend to be the leg bones of ungulates. Those things are solid, but he eats them anyway. I think. He does seem to enjoy burying them, digging them up, burying them elsewhere, and trying to smuggle those filthy things into the house. "Outside bone!" -clunk- He also likes to carry and chew up firewood. Nothing lasts like a nylabone. Nothing is less messy inside the house than a nylabone.

I buy the "giant" size because it gives me a better grip for those tugs-of-war.

Very weird that the dog knew there were nylabones in the amazon box and that they were his.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for power chewers, January 1, 2009
Ryan "kooluhlz" (Kalamazoo, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This bone is the tops and best of all not expensive. I have bought many different toys for my dog and he destroys them all within a few days. This bone is great because it has actually lasted over two weeks and is still going strong. The ends are getting chewed up but at a very slow pace. My guess is this will easily last a month or two, if not longer. My dog also absolutely loves chewing on this. If he is inside sitting around this bone is in his mouth being chewed. That is why I am so surprised it has lasted this long. Usually if my dog chews something for a whole day it would be in a million pieces. The only other toy that has been able to last this long is a king size kong, but my dog won't even look at it twice unless it is packed with treats.

Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper