4.0 out of 5 stars The only toy that won't be immediately destroyed
Published on March 10, 2008 by Crimson-Ribbon

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE
We've had several nylabones for our dogs. They loved chewing on them and the bones seemed to hold up very well--until a piece broke off and lodged in the small intestine of my dachsund. Since it's plastic, it doesn't show up in x-rays and the blockage wasn't identified until it was too late. Always supervise your pet when they are chewing anything that can be chewed up!
Published on May 10, 2010 by Barbara

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE, May 10, 2010
Barbara (Santa Maria, CA United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars The only toy that won't be immediately destroyed, March 10, 2008
I never liked nylabones before I got them for my dogs. They always seemed dirty, hair sticks to the ends after they've been chewed and dogs will make their gums bleed chewing them. But my dogs make quick work of any chewy (they finish even very large edible chewies in less than one minute), so we got the durable nylabones and the dogs love to chew them. They are not indestructable but they last for months even with daily use. The dogs do make their gums bleed chewing them at first but I was surprised to see how clean their teeth are now. A good thing to have for a serious chewer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Received wrong product, but more importantly: Not safe for dogs!, April 25, 2012
This review is from: Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper (Misc.)
My dogs love nylabones, and we've been buying them for years. I recently decided to stock up and ordered 4 nylabones! They arrived quickly, but one of the packages was partially open. They also had a new textured look that I wasn't sure my dogs would like. The picture indicated that the product I would be receiving would be the same untextured nylabones that my dogs love.

However, those aren't the only reasons I'll be returning them. We just took one of our dogs to the vet this week, and had to spend almost $1,000 getting two cracked teeth removed! Our vet said that nylabones are too hard for dogs' teeth, and recommended that we use raw bones from the butcher instead. Nylabones are the only chew toys my dogs have used, so there is nothing else that could have cracked my dog's teeth. Please be cautious, and talk to your vet about whether nylabones are a safe choice for your dog.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dental risk, May 23, 2012
This review is from: Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper (Misc.)
I just spent $1,400 on dental work for my two dogs, both of whom broke multiple teeth on these bones. The Bones do prevent tartar build-up but at an unacceptable cost. I believe this product should carry safety warnings because the vet told us that this is a common problem with the hard bones.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best so far, December 23, 2010
These are my dog's "inside bones". They last and last and last without turning into little chunks all over the rug. The dog is an 85 pound "working dog" - which means high energy and really annoying when bored. He's had some of these nylabones for over two years. I only have to replace them when he sneaks one outside and buries it.

Yes, letting the dog out has its own ritual. "Inside bone!" -clunk- as bone drops to the floor, hopefully missing my foot.

In comparison, the "outside" bones tend to be the leg bones of ungulates. Those things are solid, but he eats them anyway. I think. He does seem to enjoy burying them, digging them up, burying them elsewhere, and trying to smuggle those filthy things into the house. "Outside bone!" -clunk- He also likes to carry and chew up firewood. Nothing lasts like a nylabone. Nothing is less messy inside the house than a nylabone.

I buy the "giant" size because it gives me a better grip for those tugs-of-war.

Very weird that the dog knew there were nylabones in the amazon box and that they were his.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for power chewers, January 1, 2009
Ryan "kooluhlz" (Kalamazoo, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This bone is the tops and best of all not expensive. I have bought many different toys for my dog and he destroys them all within a few days. This bone is great because it has actually lasted over two weeks and is still going strong. The ends are getting chewed up but at a very slow pace. My guess is this will easily last a month or two, if not longer. My dog also absolutely loves chewing on this. If he is inside sitting around this bone is in his mouth being chewed. That is why I am so surprised it has lasted this long. Usually if my dog chews something for a whole day it would be in a million pieces. The only other toy that has been able to last this long is a king size kong, but my dog won't even look at it twice unless it is packed with treats.

1.0 out of 5 stars UNSAFE PRODUCT, August 4, 2012
I would not recommend this product for anyone who cares about their pet. Apparently the manufacturer of this product does not take measures to insure their product is safe. I ordered the correct size of bone for my Labrador Retriever according to the manufacturers size chart. Brand new out of the package no more than 10 minutes, while my dog was chewing on the bone, a large piece about the size of a marble broke off and my dog swallowed it. I examined the bone and discovered there were numerous air bubbles in the casting making the bone weak and susceptible to breaking. I can only hope that the consumed part of this product will pass without any complications. I will not buy this product again and will be going to normal beef bones in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pet Owners Use Caution!, May 31, 2010
Barbara (Santa Maria, CA United States) - See all my reviews
We have two smaller dogs, 13 and 14 pounds. They both loved to chew on these bones. They would chew for hours--until there was nothing left! Then one day one of them got sick. Within 36 hours he was gone! We are devastated! A piece of nylabone broke off and lodged in his intestine. It did not show up on X-Rays since it is a plastic substance. Always supervise your pet with their toys. You never know when something like this can happen. We have found that this is not an isolated occurrence. You can read other stories at this site: [...]

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE- Cracked Teeth!!!, April 13, 2012
This review is from: Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper (Misc.)
My Greater Swiss Mountain dog cracked two molars on nylabones. Both had to be surgically removed at a cost of about $1,000. I did not realize that the nylabone was the culprit with the first tooth, but witnessed and heard the crack the second time. I purposely always looked for a "safe" chew toy for my dog, and now my dog has 2 missing molars because of nylabone. Do not buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, October 2, 2008
Great dog bones. My dogs love them. My dogs are "power chewers" and these last longer than anything that I have found.

Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper