4.0 out of 5 stars The only toy that won't be immediately destroyed
Published on March 10, 2008 by Crimson-Ribbon

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE
We've had several nylabones for our dogs. They loved chewing on them and the bones seemed to hold up very well--until a piece broke off and lodged in the small intestine of my dachsund. Since it's plastic, it doesn't show up in x-rays and the blockage wasn't identified until it was too late. Always supervise your pet when they are chewing anything that can be chewed up!
Published on May 10, 2010 by Barbara

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE, May 10, 2010
Barbara (Santa Maria, CA United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars The only toy that won't be immediately destroyed, March 10, 2008
I never liked nylabones before I got them for my dogs. They always seemed dirty, hair sticks to the ends after they've been chewed and dogs will make their gums bleed chewing them. But my dogs make quick work of any chewy (they finish even very large edible chewies in less than one minute), so we got the durable nylabones and the dogs love to chew them. They are not indestructable but they last for months even with daily use. The dogs do make their gums bleed chewing them at first but I was surprised to see how clean their teeth are now. A good thing to have for a serious chewer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Received wrong product, but more importantly: Not safe for dogs!, April 25, 2012
This review is from: Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper (Misc.)
My dogs love nylabones, and we've been buying them for years. I recently decided to stock up and ordered 4 nylabones! They arrived quickly, but one of the packages was partially open. They also had a new textured look that I wasn't sure my dogs would like. The picture indicated that the product I would be receiving would be the same untextured nylabones that my dogs love.

However, those aren't the only reasons I'll be returning them. We just took one of our dogs to the vet this week, and had to spend almost $1,000 getting two cracked teeth removed! Our vet said that nylabones are too hard for dogs' teeth, and recommended that we use raw bones from the butcher instead. Nylabones are the only chew toys my dogs have used, so there is nothing else that could have cracked my dog's teeth. Please be cautious, and talk to your vet about whether nylabones are a safe choice for your dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for power chewers, January 1, 2009
Ryan "kooluhlz" (Kalamazoo, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This bone is the tops and best of all not expensive. I have bought many different toys for my dog and he destroys them all within a few days. This bone is great because it has actually lasted over two weeks and is still going strong. The ends are getting chewed up but at a very slow pace. My guess is this will easily last a month or two, if not longer. My dog also absolutely loves chewing on this. If he is inside sitting around this bone is in his mouth being chewed. That is why I am so surprised it has lasted this long. Usually if my dog chews something for a whole day it would be in a million pieces. The only other toy that has been able to last this long is a king size kong, but my dog won't even look at it twice unless it is packed with treats.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dental risk, May 23, 2012
This review is from: Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper (Misc.)
I just spent $1,400 on dental work for my two dogs, both of whom broke multiple teeth on these bones. The Bones do prevent tartar build-up but at an unacceptable cost. I believe this product should carry safety warnings because the vet told us that this is a common problem with the hard bones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, October 2, 2008
Great dog bones. My dogs love them. My dogs are "power chewers" and these last longer than anything that I have found.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dogs loved it... but made them sick! What's the point???, December 6, 2011
SWestlake (Phoenix, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper (Misc.)
When it says don't leave dogs unattended with this bone they mean it. It also says don't allow them to ingest pieces larger then rice or something like that... they mean that too. My 18 month old Pit was loving this bone and I tried to take every piece that she chewed off away from her as it came off. A few pieces must have got past me and in her tummy and on the floor, because she started having violent vomiting a day latter, then our 8 year old pit started doing the same. We were for sure that we had got some Chinese chicken strips or something then we started going through the vomit (sick what we do for our kids) and found Nylabone chunks in both dogs vomit. Haven't had a issue since. My husband has banned any product from this company from entering our house again.
Buyer beware and watch your dogs.

3.0 out of 5 stars HUGE, May 19, 2011
This review is from: Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper (Misc.)
The bone is fine in terms of quality, but I wasn't aware how big a bone this was! Buy this product for a big adult dog, way too large for a corgi's mouth! Apart from it being big, my dog just isn't interested in it.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE- Cracked Teeth!!!, April 13, 2012
This review is from: Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper (Misc.)
My Greater Swiss Mountain dog cracked two molars on nylabones. Both had to be surgically removed at a cost of about $1,000. I did not realize that the nylabone was the culprit with the first tooth, but witnessed and heard the crack the second time. I purposely always looked for a "safe" chew toy for my dog, and now my dog has 2 missing molars because of nylabone. Do not buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfies a dog's urge to chew (and saves furniture and shoes), February 19, 2011
This review is from: Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper (Misc.)
I have been buying Nylabones for years for our Doberman and Labradors. When a dog needs to chew, they'll find SOMETHING and I'd rather it be a Nylabone than a table leg or pair of shoes. With three dogs, we always have three available (plus three in the car for trips). I even take one when hiking in the hills with my Doberman (our Labs are now too old to hike). I especially like the Dura Chew model because it lasts. When the small end gets chewed to a point (which is a weapon in a dog's mouth), if the Nylabone is still big enough, I hacksaw and file the end and keep using it until it's too small to be safe (i.e. danger of being swallowed). If your dog's not used to chewing, train them with either a) smearing peanut butter on the bone as an inducement, b) play "keep away" and praise when the dog takes it or c) play tug of war, let the dog win with praise. I've done all three, what works depends on your dog.

ARRAY(0xa418ae4c)