5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product
Published on January 5, 2007 by Jonathan L. Goulden

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed in this bone
Published 21 months ago by Richard D. Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, January 5, 2007
I orginally found this product after complaining to Nylabone. I had bought one of their 'Pit Bull Tested' toys - some knobby thing - for my half pit bull mutt. He enjoyed the knobby thing but it was in tiny bits in under 5 minutes. I pulled the package out of the trash and emailed nylabone with a complaint. Much to my surprise they responded the next day and sent me the Galileo Souper bone at no charge. My dog loved it. Nylabone later paid my dog $25 to test a new and improved 'knobby' product but it didn't last either. However the Galileos are great and we keep buying them. We get about 9-12 mos out of each one before they get down to plum size. They keep his teeth nice and clean too. The floor does tend to vibrate when he grasps it with his paws and start gnawing (wood floor over a crawl space) which is a little odd but does impress visitors :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Choice for Tough Chewers, July 15, 2007
We have a half Rottweiler that is a very tough chewer. When he was a pup he destroyed nearly every toy we tried to give him. I was concerned that he would swallow something he shouldn't, so we had to take away the toys. Then we found the Galileo Nylabone and the black Kong toys. These were a blessing, as no matter how hard he would try, he couldn't tear them up. The Galileo Nylabone is designed so that it just comes off in little shreds - nothing big to swallow. Our Rotty has been chewing them for nearly 10 years, and still likes them. He gets excited when we give him a new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, May 25, 2006
We've had dogs that wouldn't have a thing to do with Nylabones, but what works great is early training. Start the puppy out on the puppy nylabones. Follow instructions and help the pup's interest level by smearing some peanut butter on it, and so on.

The first time we saw a Galileo Bone, we were mystified, but the sales clerk said he had one and it lasted years! And guess what? It did! Our dog is over 8 years old now, and has two Galileo's. He doesn't chew on them constantly, but whenever he feels like it. It helps keep his molars free of tartar and satisfies his craving to chew.

One of the bone's 3 tips was getting chewed waaaay close to the stump and finally broke off. According to instructions, that's the time to retire it and get a new one.

I've paid over $20 each for these and feel they were worth it at that price. Now they are almost half that. Good deal.

Natural (real) bones are dangerous and rawhide chews can get stuck in the throat, swell in the stomach and even cause bowel impaction. Don't use them. If you insist, supervise the dog so you can assist if the above problems happen. It has happened to us.

But use Nylabones and don't worry about it! It may take some training at first, maybe not. If it does, it's worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed in this bone, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Nylabone Galileo Bone Dog Chew Toy, Souper (Misc.)
I have a large, very aggressive chewer (chocolate lab). I've had pretty good luck with two other nylabone products, but they were a bit small and I figured it was time to bring out the big gun. With all these bones I believe it's time to retire them when small chunks start coming off of them; this bone did not last long before this started happening. By contrast the other nylabones lasted much longer, but based on price and advertised qualities it should have been the other way around.

So this was a lot of money for a product that lasted less than a month. The search continues but I'll be looking at products made by other companies a bit harder now. I regret not buying this locally as I would have marched back into the store with this bone.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 out of 4 Paws, August 24, 2007
First Impression: Man it was time for a new Nylabone. Mom and Dad bought me my first two almost 5 months ago! They were looking a little nasty, but I still loved them. The kind folks over at Nylabone sent me a gift box and I got to try out this new monster of a chew bone. Now it is shaped a little weird, but I like it none the less. Every time Mom and Dad eat lunch or dinner I lay down and chew on a Nylabone. It keeps me entertained while they eat that amazing smelling human food... I just close my eyes and pretend.

Conclusion: Great chew bone! Lasts a very long time. Not sure what could be improved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy for dogs who can really chew, December 27, 2011
This review is from: Nylabone Galileo Wolf (Misc.)
The first time I purchased this nylabone I paid full retail (around $10+) and thought I must be crazy to spend that much on something I'm giving to a dog to destroy. Now that I have seen how long it lasted (and with regular use) and see how much dogs enjoyed it, I realize it's worth the cost. What a waste of money it has been to get them cheaper chew toys that claim they are for aggressive chewers, but lasted, in some cases, only 5-7 hours total. It would have been just as easy to crumple five-dollar bills and throw it at them.
By comparison the orig. Nylabone I bought has outlasted all the other chew toys by 3 years (and there is still 1/3rd left) and that's with TWO dogs chewing on it(25 pound dogs) I recently purchased several new ones because the piece that's left on the orig. is getting too hard for them to hang on to.
Fair warning -- do NOT step/trip on one of these Nylabones w. bare feet! I don't know how the dogs can stand it, but those chewed edges can get really sharp. I stubbed my foot on one once and it drew blood!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dog loved it...a bit too much, September 13, 2012
This review is from: Nylabone Galileo Wolf (Misc.)
I bought this for my 5 year old 20 lb Jack Russell Terrier. She is an extremely aggressive chewer and most toys don't last 5 minutes. I thought this would be the perfect solution.

I gave it to her a few hours a day supervised, and she loved it. About a week later I noticed blood all over the floor. Her whole mouth was cut up from the "rice size" pieces that clean the teeth. Despite her mouth being massacred, she still chewed on the toy. I had to throw it away so she wouldnt hurt herself. I touched it as well and it was SHARP.

What a waste of money. I still cant find any toys for my dog to chew without her ripping them up or hurting herself..... sigh..

1.0 out of 5 stars $2500 Dental Surgery - Six fractured teeth, January 24, 2014
This review is from: Nylabone Galileo Bone Dog Chew Toy, Souper (Misc.)
For years and years my dog chewed almost exclusively the Galileo bone and other similar Nylabones, along with some soft toys. She is a strong chewer and we felt that with these we didn't have to be hovering over her in case she chewed off a piece like we did with the softer toys. She chewed them quite a bit and enjoyed them, we thought.

Then one day our vet mentioned that her tooth was cracked. The crack went below the gumline, which is a prime entry point for a gum infection. We opted to have the tooth surgically extracted. During surgery I got a call from my vet. Once they had anesthetized her they did an x-ray and discovered that not one but SIX TEETH were severely fractured.

We opted to have them all removed surgically...at a high cost. After a pretty pathetic recovery period, she is now only chewing rubber toys, which are harder for her to rip apart now that she's down six teeth. At the time of her surgery she had about 6 Nylabones and they all went into the trash.

I have given this some thought and there is nothing else that could have fractured her six teeth. She does not gnaw on furniture or anything like that. We have never given her bones from the pet store or our kitchen. She's very well supervised because I work from home. She was never left alone outside, etc. (Yeah, I'm a helicopter dog-parent.) She was allowed to chew on a few things: food, rubber toys, plush toys and Nylabones.

Apparently dogs are not very expressive of dental pain. This was probably painful to her for a long time (some of the fractures looked like they'd been there a while), and I feel very guilty. We are very lucky that her gums or jaw did not become infected. We were told gum infections can easily eat into the jawbone because there is just not a lot else there to infect. PLEASE think twice before buying these toys. Your dog may love them, but they may be causing him/her pain, and it's just not worth it. There are good quality, very durable rubber toys out there. There is no reason to risk this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad experience, March 18, 2014
This review is from: Nylabone Galileo Bone Dog Chew Toy, Souper (Misc.)
Although this toy is advertised for powerful chewers, you should be aware, my dog fractured his molar from chewing on this toy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful Product, November 8, 2006
This review is from: Nylabone Galileo Wolf (Misc.)
My dog loved this bone, but within 1 week he had 3 broken teeth, on had to be surgically removed. He had excellent dental care his entire life, strong teeth and loved chewing on bones. This items not worth the hundreds it has cost in vet bills for emergency surgery.

Nylabone after reviewing my vet's information told us that the bone we purchased was not hard enough for my dog. Even though he was within the weight recomendations and in excellent health before the bone, Nylabone refused to even apologize for the pain they caused.

Nylabone Galileo Bone Dog Chew Toy, Souper