Save Big On Open-Box & Preowned: Buy "Nymphomanic Volume I and Volume II” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 50% off the $19.98 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Preowned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Nymphomanic Volume I and Volume II
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Top Customer Reviews
1. This is the third film Lars von Trier’s Depression Trilogy, after “Antichrist” and “Melancholia”. It’s a 4-hour movie that was released in theaters in two parts. The original version is over 5 hours long, but, as of the time of this writing, has never been released anywhere. It’s the most straightforward and easily understood of the three films, but it still requires focus, stamina, and an open mind.
2. While all three films can be seen as stand-alone films, they should be seen in order, as “Nymphomaniac” shares the casts of the first two movies, and brings the themes full circle. There are several explicit references to “Antichrist” in this movie.
3. Charlotte Gainsbourg returns once again in the third episode, exposing herself in new and humiliating ways. This time, she plays a sex addict that is found beaten in the street by a kindly, intellectual old man who brings her home. She tells her life story to him.
4. The movie makes the claim that sexuality is the single most powerful force in a person’s life. As a consequence, this is an extremely sexually graphic movie - all of the main actors had to employ body doubles (which means porn stars) when filming the actual sex scenes.
5. In this movie, sex is described not only literally, but also in metaphors. Music, fishing, mathematics, delirium, religion, and systemic violence are some of the perspectives through which the movie looks at sex.
6. Von Trier deconstructs sex and love and shows that they are really manifestations of loneliness, emptiness, and meaninglessness. They are sometimes useful distractions, and sometimes destructive forces, in a random and coincidental world that cares nothing for us.
7.Read more ›
This particular combo set brings you the two Volumes in one handy package. Vol. I runs 118 min. and Vol. II runs 123 min, hence the total running time for this combo-pack is correctly listed at 241 min. There are no bonus materials of any kind on this release. If that is what you are intending to buy, by all means, go for it.
However, if you think you've seen all of Nymph()maniac with these two movies, you are mistaken. Nymph()maniac was originally shot as a 5 1/2 hr. movie. For various reasons, Von Trier's production company decided to release the movie into most international markets (including US theatres) as a two-parter of 2 hrs. each, with the intent of releasing the full 5/12 hr. movie at some point later in 2014 (presumably directly on DVD/Bly-ray), and supposedly with lots more explicit scenes deemed too daring for the theatrical release.
Bottom line: just make sure that what you are buying is in line with your expectations. If you just want Nymph()maniac Vol. I and II as you saw it in the theater or on Amazon Instant Video, this combo-pack will do the trick. If however you want the full running time as originally intended by writer-director Lars Von Trier, you should hold out until that "Director's Cut" is released (supposedly) later in 2014.
Unfolding a series of flash-backs, Volume I recounts Joe's vigorous childhood and youthful erotic experiences, while Volume II contemplates her desires against the overpowering pressures and constraints of adulthood. Taking in the whole of the singular human experience, including the body and the mind, sex and love, and all the connections between them, in the end the story comes full circle, almost as if it were a thought-provoking psychological insight into a world of sexuality, loneliness, and love.
Director Lars Von Trier, as the passionate, creative film-maker that he is, once again overflows his self righteous, controversial views into his work, not worrying about how outrageous these may be. Being mostly narrative and drama, the movie contains about 20 minutes of sexual material throughout the entire 4 hours, featuring some explicit adult scenes. Some may find these depictions erotic, but this material is relatively restrained, and so is unlikely to offend anyone, especially those familiar with the director's work.
Obviously not an easy film to watch, but a very interesting one which requires close attention and an open mind.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I love how rich this film is. This is not a Hollywood film where its main audience is to entertain, this is a serious film with serious acting and script and story. Read morePublished 10 days ago by Noe Hernandez
Film is OK on laptop, but not useable on DVD-player in Europe due to regional coding. Film returned and full refund received.Published 12 days ago by Finn Kjær
This movie is not for everyone. If you try to understand the artistic aspect of what they are trying to depict, you will enjoy this movie. It can be a big leap for some people. Read morePublished 14 days ago by mjnheba
Pretty slow in parts but the movie is better than I had expected. The actress playing younger Joe is a knockout. Definitely X rates. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Shawn Arthurs