- Sorry, this item is not available in
- Image not available
- To view this video download Flash Player
A unique archival and historic DVD featuring renowned Soul, Pop, R&B, Gospel, and Jazz star O.C. Smith showcases the signature voice. The DVD, hosted by renowned pianist Phil Moore, also contains performances by American showman Scatman Crothers, and a number by renowned pianist Judy Carmichael in which she displays her gift for playing traditional stride piano while simultaneously feeling fresh and contemporary. The episodes on the disc also contain musical contributions from pianists Larry Nash and Art Hillary, as well as bassist John Heard and drummer Harold Jones in the rhythm section.
The Ad Lib Series, now available on DVD for the first time, is a collection of 46 concert TV programs presenting the best Jazz, Pop and Blues artists showcasing their skills with a Jazz flair. Seen on TV internationally, Ad Lib (filmed in 1980) was the first musical television series recorded in Stereo. Each DVD features 2 episodes of the acclaimed Ad Lib Series.
O.C. Smith developed his reputation working as the lead singer for Count Basie. His first solo hit, the 1968 song, Son of Hickory Holler's Tramp, exploded into the Top 40. Smith's follow-up, a cover of the Bobby Russell song Little Green Apples, which won the 1968 Grammy Award for Song of the Year, not only made him a star, but cemented his place in the world of music. Now incorporating R&B into his repertoire, Smith's success continued with hits such as Daddy's Little Man, Friend, Lover, Woman, Wife, and Together. Despite his success, Smith retired from music after finding his true calling as a minister.
When he passed away in 2001, O.C. Smith left behind not only a spiritual legacy to his community and church, but also an archive of classic recordings cherished by his numerous admirers. O.C. Smith's wonderful voice and magnetic personality made him one of the premiere artists of the 1970s.
1. How Sweet It Is performed by O.C. Smith
2. People performed by O.C. Smith
3. Mean Dog Blues performed by Scatman Crothers
4. Shoes (Some of My Best Friends Are Shoes) performed by Scatman Crothers
5. I've Gotta Be Me performed by O.C. Smith
6. See See Rider performed by O.C. Smith
1. Watch What Happens performed by O.C. Smith
2. How Deep Is The Ocean performed by O.C. Smith
3. Viper's Drag performed by Judy Carmichael
4. Please Send Me Someone To Love performed by O.C. Smith
5. Stormy Monday performed by O.C. Smith
O.C. Smith: Vocals
Scatman Crothers: Vocals, Ukulele
Judy Carmichael: Piano
Art Hillary: Piano
John Heard: Bass
Harold Jones: Drums
Larry Nash: Piano
DVD BONUS FEATURES:
O.C. Smith Biography
Scatman Crothers Biography
Judy Carmichael Biography
Ad Lib Highlights Reel (16 min.)
Digitally Mastered Audio & Video
Dolby Stereo Audio
Instant Access Songs