VINE VOICEon October 11, 2009
Flavor Name: NaturalSize Name: 11.2 OunceVerified Purchase
Each of these three products has a number of reviews. I don't have much to add to any of the individual reviews. Coconut water is great, if you are in the market for a case of it you already know this. But which of these three is the best?

I went around town and found 5 boxes of each of the three brands (15 total) each, with no two boxes of a the same brand coming from the same supplier. The goal was to get a wide range of product batches. This I am happy to report was pointless. All three brands produce an internally consistent product.

I then ordered a 12 pack of all three brands from Amazon. The only significant difference in packaging is that O.N.E. glues a little telescoping straw to each individual box, the other two brands do not. If you are a straw person this is a feature if not this is just more trash, you decide. The amount per container varies slightly by brand but given the price fluctuation on Amazon I don't consider the 0.1 Oz differences an important factor.

All three are made in Brazil, O.N.E. mentions that it is pasteurized the other two do not (nevertheless, I suspect all three are).

On pure taste, at refrigerator temperature, I found Zico to be the best (say 5/5), but only nominally better than O.N.E. (4.5/5), Vita was a distant third (3/5). Both Zico and O.N.E. taste almost exactly like drinking right from a fresh green coconut. Vita, on the other hand, has a grape aftertaste which I did not like. At room temperature the order remained the same; however, the differences in taste became more obvious: Zico (5/5), O.N.E. (4/5), Vita (2/5). Obviously all of this is subjective.

I observed the price of three on Amazon over the course of a month. Zico (~$24) was consistently more expensive than the other two (~$18-21) which traded places as the least expensive.

Considering the price and quality, O.N.E. is my choice and the brand to which I now subscribe. I consider Zico an excellent, but over priced, product and Vita an inferior product. If, however, I preferred my coconut water at room temperature I would give strong consideration to paying the extra money for Zico. If I used my coconut water as a mixer I would buy which ever one is cheapest at the time.

All three products are better than nothing (the previous option) and I am happy to see them on the market.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My family has been adopting a raw foods diet for the last year, and one of the things we have been able to enjoy is eating young green coconuts.

A young green coconut looks like a woody white cylinder with a point on the top of it. In order to open it, you take a heavy cleaver type knife and you strike it in four sides around the point of the coconut.

You then take off the top and inside you get anywhere from 1/4 to a full cup of coconut water- a clear sweet nectar with subtle coconut flavor.

Drinking this type of juice is a delightful experience, however, it does take some work to get at and is not always convenient- until now.

When I first saw the 11 oz aseptic container of O.N.E coconut water, I was not sure what to expect. I know that I expected it to be flat tasting and probably nothing like I was used to from having fresh green coconut water.

I was wrong.

This coconut water might not be fresh and raw, but it is the closest thing to it that I have come across so far.

The foil wrapped box has about a 5/8" opening (slanted square) that is covered with foil. You peel that off and it forms a slight spout for easy pouring.

It is best served cold, so I kept in the refrigerator.

The water/juice inside is a slightly cloudy clear liquid which has the delightful taste of young green coconuts. There is a refreshing coconut flavor that is not at all overwhelming, but just right.

It has no added flavors or sugars to it, which is delightful. It has only 60 calories which is also a nice feature.

I have compared it to fresh coconut water, and although I do prefer raw fresh water, I am very happy with this as a substitute.

I can say this, my family all fought to taste this stuff- so it made a big hit here.

If you are into raw foods and need to have a beverage which is close to what you are used to and is not cooked to death and sweetened in a package to take on a picnic, trip, or even to work, this is definitely a great item to have handy.

You might like it even if you are not into raw foods, but like the fragile coconut flavor in coconut water- you should give this a try.

I do want to mention that this is NOT the kind of water that comes out of very dark brown dried coconuts- that tastes very different than young green coconuts.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 28, 2008
Flavor Name: NaturalSize Name: 11.2 OunceVerified Purchase
I have tried just about every coconut water company out there (Zico, Harvest Bay, Vita Coco, etc.) and this by far is the best and the closest to the coconut water out of fresh young coconut. Nothing will be beat drinking it right out of fresh coconut but O.N.E comes the closes.

The coconut water is supposed to taste like fresh refreshing, slight sweet water with just a hint of coconut flavor. If you taste strong flavor of coconut, it is probably over ripe or aged. This container also doesn't have any package smell as some of the other coconut water packages have.

Just remember to buy them fresh and chill them before you drink. The flavor is much better when chilled. Highly recommend buying this over the other brands.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 13, 2010
Flavor Name: Pink GuavaSize Name: 8.5 OunceVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have seen delivery truck for this drink driving around town. On the side they had "Natures Sport's Drink". I never thought of Coconut Water as a sports drink but I thought I would give it a try.

The package the drink comes in is "Tetra Pak"; which is a fancy way of saying juice box. Because this seems very similar to the way I used to drink my Hi-C Juice when I was in grade school. No straw here though, just a foil covered hole in which you peel off the foil to drink.

Ingredients are as follows: Natural coconut water, pink guava puree, cane juice, vitamin c, and natural fruit flavor. Not too bad, sounds good, you have to add vitamin c to give the drink a little zing otherwise it comes off too bland, and they at least admit to adding "natural fruit flavor" which if you read the FDA website doesn't really have to be that natural at all. But all-in-all the ingredients list looks good. One container is 8.5 ounces, one serving, and you have 78 calories, no fat, 128mg of sodium, 302mg potassium, 18.8g of carbs, with .5g of that being fiber and 16.6g being sugar. You also get 0.8g of protein and the added vitamin c gives 183% of your daily value. Let's move on to taste:

Serve cold, shake well, and open...tastes like coconut and guava. I guess I should have expected that. It feels fairly light on the tongue, not that oily mouth coating feel you get from regular coconut water. O.N.E. claims they get the water form green coconuts before the meat forms, so that accounts for the lack of oils and fats. So you get nice tropical flavor. Like a really watered down pina colada. Sadly I am unable to perform blood work and tell you if my electrolytes are being replenished but I am enjoying the flavor. So if coconut and guava appeal to you, and you would like those flavors in a natural sports drink, this may be the drink for you.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Flavor Name: NaturalSize Name: 11.2 OunceVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )Verified Purchase
Coconut water is the liquid inside an unopened coconut. It is not "coconut milk," although there is often confusion about that. Coconut milk is made from the meat of the coconut after it is opened and the water poured out. Inside the coconut, the water is sterile and very benign to the human body - it has been safely used in emergencies as IV fluid! (Straight out of the coconut, that is, NOT from a Tetrapak.)

Coconuts in general are very healthy items. In the South Pacific the coconut palm is called "the tree of Life," because it provides so many things for a healthy life: food, water, shelter, medicine, etc. Coconut oil is one of the healthiest oils on the planet, but has been the victim of intense propaganda campaigns by corporate vegetable oil cartels and other evil critters.

Coconut water tastes (to me) a bit like very watery, unsweetened tapioca, with just a hint of sourness. It is quite bland by itself, but mixes easily with fruit juices, etc. It has great health properties and is rapidly becoming popular with athletes as a superb isotonic drink, because it has great electrolyte and mineral properties, and is a natural food with no harmful side effects or hideous chemical garbage masquerading as food.

Good organic coconut water is very hard to find, but there are many brands of non-organic like this one on the market. I checked out the package info and vendor's web site, but could find only general information on coconut water and its benefits, nothing specific about this exact product - where and how it is grown and harvested, the quality of the land and processing, etc. That is not a good sign.

For an item that is very health oriented, the only reasons I can see for hiding that information are pure marketing ignorance, or knowing that the truth would not paint a good picture. Rain forests are reportedly being cut down for coconut palm plantations, especially those dedicated to unhealthy corporate factory farming practices. It would be vital for a company to distance themselves from that kind of activity by using only properly grown plants on healthy, environmentally sound plantations, and making that a very prominent part of their marketing.

It would also be vital to play up everything possible that points to a healthy product by specifically mentioning those things about this specific product, not just general properties. This company doesn't do any of that, so I can only assume that this product is not produced in a way they want me to know about. That is the kiss of death for a product in my eyes. Granted, I am fussier than most in this regard.

Don't be misled by the "100% Natural" marketing hype. That means virtually nothing. It is not a strict, legally defined standard, as is "USDA Organic," for example. Virtually anything found in "nature," i.e. toxic heavy metals, MSG (yes, it occurs in nature), animal manure, etc., can be considered "natural" and can legally be included in a product labeled "100% Natural." Granted, USDA organic standards are very weak as organic standards go (compared to say, Oregon Tilth), but they are still better than nothing.

While I love coconut and want to give this product 4 or 5 stars, the complete lack of honest information about its origins and processing make me VERY, VERY suspicious. Without more information about how safe/healthy the product actually is, I can only give it 3 stars and a serious "caveat emptor." It is probably much better than any ordinary "sports drinks," but there are too many unanswered questions to be sure. One's health is not something to be treated lightly.

UPDATE July 2009:

After continued searching, I still have not been able to locate a consistent source of organic or Fair Trade coconut water. While the manufacturer of this coconut water still does not give out any real information about the growing, harvesting, or other relevant details of production, neither do any of their competitors.

So far, this is still the best coconut water I have been able to find, and I continue to drink it, even with the questions I have.
5353 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2011
Flavor Name: NaturalSize Name: 11.2 OunceVerified Purchase
Let me say I have been drinking ONE coconut water since it first came to market and I loved it. I noticed my last shipment had a funny taste. I checked the shipping carton and found that ONE has started getting its coconut water from the Phillipines. Big mistake. It's awful. The only way you'd know this is if you buy it by the case. ONE doesn't identify the source country on individual Tetra Paks. Anyone who started with ONE in the beginning knows they used only Brazilian coconuts as their source. The original stuff was crisp, clean and totally refreshing. This new source is murky and not satisfying at all. Time to look into other brands. I'm so disappointed.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 15, 2009
Flavor Name: NaturalSize Name: 11.2 Ounce
My mom recommended to me ONE coconut water, and it's great. Great tasting, full of electrolytes, and relatively healthy.

When my Whole Foods ran out of stock, I thought I'd try the alternatives, including Zico and Vita something. Surprisingly, both weren't that great although I think in one case it may have to do with them trying to mix other juices in (i.e. not pure coconut water). Another brand I tried was worse. That's pretty sad because other than good OJ or apple juice, nothing beats coconut water and more people ought to know about it. No matter what brand you try, I wouldn't recommend non-pure coconut water like mango or other juices mixed in because it takes away from it.

I've had coconut water straight from coconuts, and this is as good as I've had. So it was a pleasant surprise when years back they started selling this stuff. In many cultures, Coconuts are a daily staple and the source of a wide range of critical nutrients. It's something people can eat and drink literally every day.

The drink is good like Gatorade after a long excercize. I hate Vitamin water and all the other sports drinks, and somewhat tolerate Gatorade. I'm surprised they don't just imitate coconut water.

Anyways, highly recommended.
on December 15, 2010
Flavor Name: NaturalSize Name: 11.2 OunceVerified Purchase
i used to love this stuff, but the last two shipments have been bad. one was recalled by the FDA after i had already drank it, the other was expired on the month they sent it to me. get your stuff together!
on October 12, 2011
Flavor Name: NaturalSize Name: 11.2 OunceVerified Purchase
O.N.E is not telling the TRUTH ! ! ! The box tells the LEGAL TRUTH OF WHAT IS IN THIS PRODUCT [ CANE SUGAR ] If you are a diabetic this is not good for you - AMAZON TOLD ME TO POST THE LABEL ON THE SHIPPING BOX - see above - ALSO IF YOU READ THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION YOU WILL FIND THIS: "no added sugars, " THIS IS A FLAT OUT LIE!!!! READ THE LABEL POSTED FROM THE SHIPPING BOX ABOVE
review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 21, 2010
Flavor Name: NaturalSize Name: 11.2 OunceVerified Purchase
I have ordered this item for a while now, but the last case I got was terrible. It was tinted brown and tasted AWFUL. Like sour urine or something. Seriously. Worst thing was the whole case was like that. It didnt expire for a while either.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations