Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 13, 2010 2:41:09 PM PDT
D. Boyd says:
It looks like they created the Kindle version by passing a copy of the printed book through an OCR scanner; there are occasional typos they missed. Poor copy-editing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 3:52:35 PM PDT
D. Geller says:
More than occasional, it seems like there is almost one instance per page where the wrong word is substituted. Very distracting, I'm not buying the rest of the series on my kindle unless they do something about the errors.

Posted on Oct 21, 2010 2:05:38 PM PDT
Oudeis says:
The second book doesn't seem to have any of the errors the first has. I got it on Kindle about a week ago and I'm about halfway through and I haven't seen any errors yet.

I would say I hope they fix the first book and resend it to us, but I doubt that'll happen.

Posted on Oct 28, 2010 10:19:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2010 10:20:17 AM PDT
J. K. Paasch says:
****Please note: I called Amazon CS and was given a $10 Kindle credit when I reported the problems I found in this book. I suggest calling and doing so as well.*****

As I said in my review, this Kindle edition is literally and without any hyperbole the worst edited book I have ever read. The book becomes a confusing mess at times because of the terrible editing. I have no idea what happened and why it continues to be a problem, but it's honestly an insult to the author to let those problems stand.

However, don't let the first book experience dissuade you from buying the rest the series on Kindle. None of the other books in the series on the Kindle have these problems.

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 7:46:32 AM PST
Brian says:
So does anyone know if they've fixed the kindle version of the first book? It's the only reason I haven't purchased this book yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 7:14:31 AM PST
J. K. Paasch says:
Just checked my edition, and I don't believe they've fixed the problems. Though I'm not sure if/how updates work for books over Kindle. As I said previously, the other books in the series are just fine. No more editing issues than any typical paper-published book.

FWIW in my conversations with CSR's at Amazon over this issue I was't left with alot of hope that a fix or re-edit would be forthcoming. I think that's why they credited my account $10.

Posted on Mar 7, 2011 6:49:02 AM PST
Sean Adams says:
i just bought the kindle version last week and i finished it without noticing any grievous errors.

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 5:29:59 AM PST
HaNotsri says:
Why is it you can't see the cover of A Game of Thrones on the Kindle version?

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 7:36:39 PM PDT
Emily R. says:
Any fixes on the errors yet? I would like more know it is fixed before spending $8.99, which is beyond my normal cut-off for eBooks.

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 11:22:24 AM PDT
I'm almost finished with A Game Of Thrones, which I purchased for Kindle a few weeks ago. I haven't noticed any errors, and I looked up the errors mentioned in the most recent review, but on my version, they are fixed.

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 4:03:21 AM PDT
1787 says:
From the ISBN description I thought this book had page numbers but I dont see them. Does anyone else see the page numbers.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2011 11:34:57 PM PDT
The version that I purchased in March does have page numbers, which you can see with Kindle version 3.1 by pressing the menu button.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2011 5:26:12 AM PDT
1787 says:
Interesting. I dont have page numbers for my kindle version i purchased just 3 weeks ago.

Posted on May 27, 2011 4:32:08 PM PDT
J. Butler says:
Great book, but I found the countless errors in the Kindle edition distracting. Proper names frequently are broken into verbs and adjectives. There are many, this was a lazy conversion. Someone should fix this. I'll get the printed copy of the next in the series.

Posted on May 27, 2011 4:54:39 PM PDT
1787 says:
Interesting, I have no OCR errors yet as some complain about but no page numbers either.

Posted on Jun 3, 2011 4:54:56 PM PDT
J. Sullivan says:
I have noticed quite a few glaring errors myself (needless hyphenation: 'Cer-sei', 'easterly' rock rather than Casterly Rock, 'Haider' rather than 'Halder' to name just a few).

There are far too many to be acceptable really, I think I'll follow the advice of those above and make a complaint. This will definitely make me more hesitant to purchase books for my kindle in the future.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 9:35:14 AM PDT
Marco S. says:
I haven't run across any errors yet, and i have page numbers.

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 10:43:25 AM PDT
Spectator51 says:
Re: corrected versions of books - I've received a few of books I've purchased. They send an email first asking if you want the corrected/updated version. They don't do it automatically. I think the reason (my memory is hazy) is that you will lose highlights, notes, etc. you may have made.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 11:39:36 AM PST
In Book 1 chapter 19 Prosper recalled reading the e-mail Jerel sent. E-mail? Really? Error on Kindle or really in printed book. Let me know

Posted on May 23, 2014 7:24:39 PM PDT
C. Parent says:
Unfortunately, it looks like this book *still* has a lot of errors in it. I just bought it a few days ago and I've already noticed some really glaring mistakes. Littlefinger written as "Little finger," missing words ("he was no longer Winterfell"), or the wrong word entirely ("give the he?" instead of "give the lie?").

It's really disappointing that these mistakes still haven't been mostly eliminated 4 years later.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Jul 13, 2010
Latest post:  May 23, 2014

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire book 1)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire book 1) by George R. R. Martin (Hardcover - 1996)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (6,897)