Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

I build a lot of computers and I repair a lot of computers for friends and family. I usually have several of these powers supplies sitting in my inventory of computer parts to help out friends. This is a very good computer power supply and I have used more than 10 of these primarily as replacements for computer systems that no longer will operate. This power supply is ideal to fix a broken computer or to upgrade the power supply so a more powerful GPU card can be used in a factory built computer.

Most factory built computers come with very poor quality power supplies rated at 250 to 350 watts. If you add any hardware or improve the GPU card it will not have enough power to operate the system properly. In addition these weak factory power supplies tend to fail in the 2 to 3 year range. This 600 watt power supply is an ideal size to use to replace the old one.

I like the fact that it is an 80 Plus Certified Power supply that has a high power efficiency of up to 86% with any load between 20% to 100%. This saves you energy and the unit runs cooler as power is not wasted. It is also a modular design which means you need only use the cables you need and by lowering the number of cables you reduce the clutter, improve cooling and make the assembly look more professional. It comes with a nice carrying bag for the modular cables so you can save them for future expansion.

The unit comes with a 135 mm silent cooling fan and a lot of connection cables for internal accessories that you will need for a full blown computer build. The motherboard connector is designed for 20 or 24 pin power connectors so it works with every motherboard I can think of. It is SLI certified and CrossFire ready for use with multiple GPU cards. It also has:

* 6 SATA power outlets for drives
* CPU power plugs with 4 pin or 8 pin as required by your motherboard
* 4 peripheral power plugs
* 2 floppy power plugs
* Dual 12 VDC rails rated at 25 Amps each
* PCI Express Connector 1X 6-pin and 1X 6 +2-pin

This unit also features over voltage protection and has a long life with 100,000 hours MTBF. It is backed with a 3 year warranty on parts and labor.

I have used enough of these to know that they are a good quality device and I have yet to have one fail. I recommend this power supply as a good buy for your next computer build or repair.
on February 16, 2012
This is a very nice PSU and kind of heavy. The braiding on the cables is A-1 in my book but they are a bit stiff. I bought this to power my M5A99XEVO with the 550TI and it does just that with no problems.
I've docked it a star for the 8 pin to the motherboard for being just a tad to short, I have to run it in the front until I get a braided extension from here. I have the XION Predator Mid Tower Gaming Case and it has excellent wire management with lots of slots & holes for you to hide and sneak cables around. With that said that is the only con for me.
This is an excellent power supply and you can't do much better then OCZ! I would recommend and definitely buy another on my next build.
on July 28, 2010
I'm surprised there aren't more reviews on this power supply, it's great.

I bought this to support my recently bought ATI HD 5770 graphics card. There were a lot of power supplies on amazon, and I wanted to get a quality one at a good price. I was skeptical of buying this at first because it only had 6 reviews, but I'm glad I did. The wires are covered in a nice mesh so it is a bit more organized and looks better in your case. It is a modular power supply which means that the cables coming out of it are the necessary ones, and any extra cables come on the side and you can connect them only if you need them. This means less wires and more room in your system. I don't know why this isn't in the item description, but it is 80+ certified which means it is energy efficient. It is also very sturdy. I am not an expert in power supplies, but this really feels like a quality item.

If you need a 500W power supply, get this one. It also comes with a 3 year warranty.
on January 29, 2013
Original review: I've been pushing the limit on my stock PSU that came with my Dell XPS Studio 7100 (Added a HD, upgraded video card to 6870) Well the PSU started to die, so I ordered this as a replacement. Just installed tonight, and I have to say, I can barely hear it at all. Very impressed.

The unit is also semi-modular (main mobo cables are not detachable) and comes with a good variety of cables to fit into the sockets (several sata power and molex etc)

At this point I have only one issue: the cables are a little stiff. I was able to work with this no problem in most situations, but the way the video card power cords come out, it seemed to be putting undue stress on the connection at the card with the case closed. An L plug or maybe just a little more wiggle room for flexibility would have been better. I loosened it up a little and now fits ok.

I have done some initial stress testing and it looks all good from here. I will only be revisiting this review if it under-performs in the future.

UPDATE: first night installed, everything was great. Computer fell asleep, next day would not wake up. Unit is dead. Followed instructions from OCZ support to determine finally that unit was defective.

Wanted to do RMA, but OCZ wanted me to pay for shipping, and to california at that (I live in DE)

I figure if I am going to have to pay for shipping for what was practically a DOA unit, it might as well be for returning to Amazon.

Thank you OCZ for wasting about $10 and 5 hours of my time.

Buying a different brand next time.
on May 21, 2012
Just picked up a new HP P7-1287c from the warehouse store when it was $100 off, and set out to upgrade the video card (to an NVIDIA GT 430 2G), and add USB 3.0 and external eSATA mini-PCIe cards. I ordered the 600W unit and it is a far leap from the standard PSU, and has all the connections I will ever need.

One thing to note is that this unit is about 1/2 inch longer than the stock unit. This made installation a little tight since there is less room between the installed DVD player and the back of the new PSU. Also, because new PSU is a little longer, the clip that holds the old PSU in the case does not engage at all. But, this is not a problem because the 4 screws that mount the PSU to the back of the case are adequate and hold the PSU securely in place. Just something to note for others planning to do the same. I reused the screws from the original PSU, even though this PSU comes with mounting screws also. More for the parts bin.

The PSU also comes with one modular 4-pin molex cable that I used for the USB 3.0 mini-PCIe card that I purchased. So there was no need for me to buy an adapter. Good thing. I ended up only using 2 of the modular cables that came with the PSU. One for the DVD and existing HD, the other for the new USB 3.0 card. The new video card required no extra power. There are plenty of cables left for future expansion.

There are two CPU cables coming out of the PSU, I used the 4 pin one as needed by my motherboard, the other is wrapped away securely (the CPU power supplies are not modular). The length is more than adequate to reach the motherboard in the HP P7-1287c.

I was very impressed with the build quality, supplied cables, and the performance of this unit so far. It is quiet, though because of its fan, does cause the PC to be a little louder. Maybe the fan on my new video card also adds to the noise. Speaking of the fan on the PSU, it is so strong that I can feel cool air coming from the vents at the side of the case. Definitely will keep your components much cooler because of it.

Overall, this is a great investment at a very reasonable price. It will be better when I get the rebate :) I would definitely buy again even without the rebate. And, 600W is twice what came with the PC and is more than I will need at this time.
on August 12, 2011
Combination of price and great product review benchmarks caused me to choose this unit. It came nicely packed with a good variety of cables. It installed with out any issues and as of right now is running my new i5-2500k system with 0 issues.

Maximum system setup load used to date:
1 Z68 Mainboard
1 SATA DVD multi drive
1 external HDD
1 ATI 5850
1 5400rpm SATA drive on an X-doc

Update 1/10/2012: For Christmas my wife got me an XFX HD6970 2GB to replace my 5850 with. It was absolutely nothing to pull out the extra 8-pin plug it takes and connect it to the correct port on the PSU. It is supporting the extra draw with no problem running Skrym with every setting jacked all the way up. I'm really glad I chose this unit as so far it is supporting the expansions I had intended at the outset.
on September 14, 2009
I got this power supply (PSU) for 2 reasons:
1) Brand - OCZ has a good customer service reputation, so if this PSU failed within the warranty perdio, I know I would be covered
2) Good price for a 600W PSU

I got it for a mid-range system with an AMD Phenom II X-3 720BE CPU, a MSI 790GX-G65 board, an ATI HD4850 and 3 hard drives. There were enough connectors for everything and I still had 1 connection on the power supply I didn't end up using. System has been stable for a couple of months now. The one thing about this PSU, even if it's SLI capable or Crossfire capable, 600W will not be high end cards. It can do low-end 7000 series nVidia cards or HD4850 X2 or lower, but anything more would be pushing your luck.

Pros
- 3-year warranty
- Nice packaging, came with a small zip to put away extra cables
- 80 Silver certified (+82% efficiency)
- Very quiet fan
- Sleeved cables

Cons
- Nothing, especially given the price point

- Not 100% modular, but this is more of an aesthetic con and doesn't affect the quality or function of the PSU in any way(these 3 connectors are hard wired: 24-pin ATX, 4-pin and 8-pin mainboard connectors)**

**While modularity is useful, except that because the core connectors are always used, there's no sense in making them modular from a practicality standpoint and making those connectors modular only serves one purpose: aesthetics, which if you are willing to pay for, there are top notch products that have this

UPDATE 2012/9/27
I should had put a 5-star on this from the get go based on my review.
I've long since replaced this PSU with something that has more wattage. It currently sits in a box as a backup emergency PSU, but it was working fine the day I retired it from service.
77 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2012
I purchased the psu for a total 90 dollars. I also got a 30 dollar rebate and plan to sell my old psu for about 50 so i'd break just about even for a way better psu. It is a little bit bigger and the fan is also larger than my old corsair vx-550w. I've had this for about a week now and it's still going strong(which is not saying much lol) Here are a few likes and dislikes---
Pros:
Semi Modular - The semi modular design is great because it come attached with only the cables you are most likely to use. The rest u use accordingly
Nice Look
Quite
3yr warrenty

Cons:
Short Cables - The CPU cable is not long enough to stretch around the back through cable management holes which makes the insides appear a bit rough. I would say all the cables should be a few inches longer because the gpu power cord cannot be tucked away with out pulling on the gpu(had to directly connect). The atx cable was the only one that fit around back and it barely fit.

Stiff cables - I had to force the atx cable towards the connection on the mobo and tightly wrap a zip tie around it and the chasis so it wouldn't pull on the socket.

I have the nzxt beta evo which is not small but not a really large mid sized tower either.

Over all i think this was a great buy and you wont find a modular psu for this price for a while.
on December 9, 2011
I just installed this PSU on my new build which includes:

Gigabyte 970A-UD3 Motherboard with USB 3.0 and Sata III 6GB\s
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2 Ghz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler w\2 120mm fans
8 GB Kingston Hyper X Blue Ram (2 X 4GB)
EVGA GeForce GT 430 Graphics card with VGA,DVI,and HDMI
Western Digital 1 TB SATA Hard Drive 7200 rpm
Liteon 24X IHAS424 Sata DVD\CD Combo Player\Burner with Lightscribe
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Case
2 200MM Case fans with Red LED
1 120 rear exhaust fan
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I have so far had no problems with this PSU and I have power to spare for future upgrades. The Sata Power and Molex cables are all modular. I have this mounted upside down, as my case has a vent at the bottom. It's been running about 8 hours and is still cool to the touch. It also features Over voltage and Surge protection, Is 80+ certified and comes with a 3 year warranty! I would definately buy this again!
on June 14, 2012
Today mine failed in a very odd way. The power load was not changed, rather I switched an SSD data connection to another SATA port. And then my OCZ was dead, just like that.

What can you say about a PSU, either it works or it doesn't, so I don't know how to rate this honestly. I bought it exactly 2 years ago, and (thanks be) it has a 3 year warranty. I'm applying for an RMA, I presume I'll get it and they'll send a replacement. But I will knock a couple of stars off this, as 2 years is too short a time for units that are presented as a quality line, and which was not heavily loaded or operated under poor conditions.
66 comments|4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse