As the fourth generation of the legendary Vertex SSD family, the Vertex 4 Series pushes storage performance to the max and redefines the modern day computing experience. Vertex 4 SSDs are innovatively engineered to deliver industry-leading file transfer rates and superior system responsiveness, all while providing a more durable, reliable, and energy efficient storage solution compared to traditional hard drives.
256 GB Vertex 4 SATA III 2.5-Inch SSD
At a Glance
- Up to 560 MB/s sequential reads and 510 MB/s of sequential writes
- Up to 90,000 random read IOPS and 85,000 random write IOPS
- Up to 120,000 maximum IOPS
- Access latency as low as 0.02ms
- Strong performance at lower queue depths
- Compatible with Windows-, Mac- and Linux-based systems
- Backed by 5-year limited warranty
Designed to take full advantage of the SATA III interface, the Vertex 4 unleashes ultimate productivity, gaming, and multimedia applications. This model of the 2.5-inch Vertex 4 SSD (VTX4-25SAT3-256G) offers 256 GB of storage capacity, a 510 MB/s maximum sequential write speed, and 120,000 IOPS maximum I/O performance. It's backed by a 5-year limited warranty.
Excelling in Performance, No Matter the File Type
Mirroring real-world performance scenarios over a broad spectrum of consumer desktop and mobile applications, Vertex 4 SSDs are designed to provide a superior user experience and extreme performance over the other current solutions available on the market.
With the cutting-edge Indilinx Everest 2 platform, Vertex 4 is optimized for consistently high speeds with the complete spectrum of file types and sizes including both compressible and incompressible data for balanced performance like no other drive you've experienced.
Industry's Highest IOPs
You'll get incredible performance in workstation and heavy-duty environments with multiple data threads and performance up to 120,000 IOPS (Input/Output Operations Per Second, pronounced eye-ops).
No Compression-Related Performance Limitations
Better performance with "real world" data streams of varying "compressibility" as well as fully incompressible data such as videos and multimedia files, encrypted data, archive files such as .ZIP files, and software.
Indilinx Infused Everest 2 Platform
Its leading-edge, dual-ARM controller architecture enables faster performance like nothing else you've experienced.
Fast Boot Times and Ultra-Low Latency
Boot up in as little as 9 seconds, and industry-low latencies of .04 reads and .02 writes enable superior multitasking and flawless performance.
Ndurance 2.0 Technology
Advanced suite of NAND Flash management to increase durability and reliability to expand the NAND's lifespan.
Limited 5 year warranty backed by OCZ's renowned service (with toll-free tech support and 24-hour online forum support) for ultimate peace of mind.
Which OCZ Vertex 4 SSD is Right for You?
| ||VTX4-25SAT3-64G ||VTX4-25SAT3-128G ||VTX4-25SAT3-256G ||VTX-25SAT3-512G |
|Capacity ||64 GB ||128 GB ||256 GB ||512 GB |
|Sequential Reads ||460 MB/s ||560 MB/s ||560 MB/s ||560 MB/s |
|Sequential Writes ||220 MB/s ||430 MB/s ||510 MB/s ||510 MB/s |
|Random 4k Read IOPS ||70,000 IOPS ||90,000 IOPS ||90,000 IOPS ||95,000 IOPS |
|Random 4k Write IOPS ||50,000 IOPS ||85,000 IOPS ||85,000 IOPS ||85,000 IOPS |
|Maximum IOPS ||85,000 IOPS ||120,000 IOPS ||120,000 IOPS ||120,000 IOPS |
|NAND Components ||2Xnm Synchronous Multi-Level Cell (MLC) |
|Interface ||SATA III / 6 Gbps |
(backwards compatible with SATA II / 3 Gbps)
|Form Factor ||2.5-inch |
|NAND Controller ||Indilinx Everest 2 |
|DRAM Cache ||Up to 1 GB |
|Dimensions ||99.8 x 69.63 x 9.3mm |
|Weight ||83g |
Designed with a superior user experience
and extreme performance (view larger
- Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF): 2 million hours
- Data Path Protection: ECC corrects up to 128 random bits/1KB
- Data Encryption: 256-bit AES-compliant, ATA Security Mode Features
- Product Health Monitoring: Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (SMART) Support
- Serial ATA (SATA): Fully compliant with Serial ATA International Organization (Serial ATA Revision 3.0) and ATA/ATAPI-8 Standard Native Command Queuing (NCQ)
- Operating System: Windows XP 32-bit /64-bit; Windows Vista 32-bit / 64-bit; Windows 7 32-bit / 64-bit; Linux; Mac OS X
- Performance Optimization: TRIM (requires OS support), dynamic and static wear-leveling, background garbage collection, Indilinx nDurance 2.0 Technology to extend SSD lifespan
- Other Performance Features: Ndurance 2.0 Technology (reduced write amplification without compression, advanced multi-level ECC, adaptive NAND flash management)
- Service & Support: 5-year warranty, toll-free tech support, 24 hour forum support
The SSD Advantage
Whether you're refreshing an older laptop or trying to maximize the potential of the latest platform, SSDs provide substantial benefits over traditional hard drives.
Solid State Drives feature a non-mechanical design of NAND flash mounted to circuit boards, shock resistant up to 1500g. Hard disk drives consist of various moving parts making them susceptible to shock and damage.
SSDs have 100 times greater throughput and instantaneous access times for quicker boot-ups, faster file transfers, and overall snappier performance than hard drives. HDDs can only access the data faster the closer it is from the read/ write heads, while all parts of the SSD can be accessed at once.
Less Power Consumption, Silent Operation, and Lightweight
SSDs use significantly less wattage at peak load than hard disk drives--less than 2W versus 6W for an HDD--delivering longer battery life in notebooks, less power strain on system, and a cooler computing environment. With no moving parts, SSDs run virtually silent in your notebook or PC case to eliminate distracting noises during gaming or entertainment. And SSDs won't weigh down your laptop, netbook, or tablet PC when you're on the go.
SSDs run much cooler than hard disk drives...
...and much quieter, too.