5.0 out of 5 stars Solid improvement in my system

Published on September 7, 2012 by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid improvement in my system, July 29, 2012
Argyris (The universe) - See all my reviews
UPDATE 9/5/12

A month since the last update and still going strong! Zero problems so far, still have 100% drive life remaining (according to S.M.A.R.T.), and I've stopped even considering the possibility that anything bad is going to happen to this drive. My notebook may be heavy and chunky compared to today's ultrabooks, but with my Vertex 4 in it it's a true road warrior and I've been commuting with it to campus now that school has started up again.

I'll see you again at the six month mark if all goes well!

UPDATE 8/6/12

It's been over a week since installation and I haven't had a single problem. Any issues I mentioned in my review seem to have been one-offs and have not repeated themselves. As a result, and as promised, I'm bumping my rating up to 5 stars. I've also changed the title from "Solid but not overwhelming improvement in my system" to "Solid improvement in my system", along with a few references to the title in the review itself.

I notice the price of this drive decreased by about 13% (my inventive way of indicating a price shift without getting filtered by Amazon) since I bought it about ten days or so ago. I'm not surprised since Samsung's 840 Series drive at this same capacity recently dropped in price to where this Vertex 4 is now. The SSD market is highly competitive, and as drives get ever cheaper there's less and less of an excuse not to pick one up.

In the past week I got around my instrument loading problem by switching to a mode that allows me to only load the attack portion of each sample to RAM and stream the remainder from the drive. Since SSDs excel at rapid access times (around 0.2 ms read access for the Vertex 4, versus around 9 ms for a standard desktop HDD) and random reads, this works far better than it did with any HDD I tried it on and gives me performance parity with simply loading the entire huge file into memory. Since I couldn't have reasonably done this before I got my Vertex 4 I can't in honesty say I have any complaints about my new drive.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Note that I just received and installed this drive several days ago, and that this review is based on that experience. I plan on updating this space as time goes on.

EXPECTATIONS & GOALS

I bought this drive, after over a week of intensive research, so that I could hopefully load virtual instruments (VSTs) in my DAW faster. On a standard notebook HDD this can take over a minute depending on the instrument. Apart from that, I was interested in the usual benefits commonly associated with SSDs:

-Faster bootup
-Faster program launches
-Snappier performance (e.g. smoother multitasking, better UI responsiveness, etc)
-Faster Internet page loads
-Faster program installation
-An overall feeling of improved feedback and responsiveness (kind of everything listed above rolled together)

We'll explore how well the Vertex 4 accomplishes all these points.

MY SYSTEM

I'm using this drive in a 2009-era HP dv6-1355dx, which came with the following:

-4 GB of DDR3 RAM (updated concurrently with the drive to 8 GB)
-2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 processor
-500 GB Fujitsu 5400 RPM 2.5" HDD
-Intel 4 Series Express chipset
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

This system is definitely a bit long in the tooth, but it's probably typical of what a lot of folks might have, and it should give a good indication what kind of improvement can be expected from a SSD.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

The Vertex 4 comes nicely packaged, with the drive seated in a protective layer of thick foam. In the box you'll find a 2.5"-to-3.5" adapter plate, four mounting screws, a quickstart guide, a fun "My SSD is faster than your HDD" sticker, and of course the drive itself, sealed in a stiff translucent plastic wrapper. If your box didn't come with all this, assuming OCZ hasn't changed its packaging for this drive, you might want to check with OCZ or the seller to make sure everything is okay.

Installation was simple. I had no trouble swapping the Vertex 4 for the HDD, and I was done in a little over a minute. The system POSTed with the drive installed, so all was well.

SETUP

Here's where I met my first wrinkle. OCZ provides two separate utilities for updating the firmware on their drives: The OCZ Toolbox, which runs from within Windows, and OCZ Tools, which is a bootable Linux-based tool. Since I planned to do a clean install of Windows 7, I had already burned the OCZ Tools utility to a disc before I began. Loading this utility worked fine, but for some reason it couldn't connect to OCZ's server to download the latest firmware. Confusingly, it stated that there was no newer version available, when I knew very well that this was not true. The drive shipped with firmware 1.4.3, and the latest version (as of this writing) is 1.5.

Once I had Windows installed, updated, and had all my hardware configured properly, I attempted again, this time with the OCZ Toolbox. It also couldn't update, producing a generic "file not found" type error. Several hours later I tried again, and this time I succeeded. I can understand servers being down. It happens. But I think OCZ should make it a little clearer in their utilities when it's an issue with accessing and downloading the file, instead of confusingly stating that no newer file is available or generically stating that the file can't be found.

Before we continue, let me explain why I was so adamant about updating the firmware. SSD makers in general and OCZ in particular often release updates that radically improve performance or stability or both. SSDs are still a young technology, and it's difficult at this stage to get it right the first time with the hardware. Over time these sorts of things settle down, but for the time being pay attention when your SSD manufacturer updates your drive's firmware. As we'll see in just a moment, it can be very important.

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS IN WINDOWS

As my title suggests, I have seen a solid improvement in my overall system performance. My own informal benchmarking shows that the drive itself is performing as well as I could expect on an SATA II interface (my laptop was made before SATA III was adopted). Let's go through the list.

Bootup speed is noticeably improved. The Starting Windows animation often doesn't even complete before the Login screen pops up. Benchmarking reveals that the startup time to the login screen is 9 seconds, with an additional 8 seconds between login and a fully loaded desktop. I'm happy with this result, though it's not quite the blazing startup time others have claimed from SSDs in general. No doubt a new system would unleash unused potential.

Program launches are a mixed bag. Overall nothing launches slower than before, and in the case of Firefox and Thunderbird the reductions are around 5 seconds apiece. However, if you're expecting instant launches for all your programs, that might be a little over optimistic. Also, my music program, Foobar2000, seems to hang on occasion when launching, though this is likely a specific program issue. EDIT: This seems to only happen the first time the program is launched after a reboot or if it hasn't been used in a while.

Responsiveness improvements scale with workload. I can load up all the programs in my Taskbar at once, fire up Windows Update, play some music in Foobar2000, and load some websites all at once, and while the individual tasks might take longer than they do separately, the UI remains responsive throughout, which is a clear improvement. When single-tasking or only doing a few things at a time, I don't notice too much of a difference from before.

Aside from loading tabs faster, Internet browsing in general is noticeably improved. This could be for a variety of reasons, one of which being that page caching is now more effective since an SSD will load stored information more quickly than a HDD and will do so regardless of what else it's doing at the time, thus eliminating a bottleneck. Also, SSDs are much faster than HDDs on small, random writes (~4-128 kb), which is the majority what your browser is creating when you surf the Internet.

Program installation is difficult to quantify. I'm inclined to say there was an improvement here, except that most of my programs are reasonably small and already installed fairly quickly on a standard HDD. Windows updates seem to complete faster, except for the infamous .NET updates, which seem to take forever regardless of what hardware you have. I certainly didn't see anything that would indicate that I lost performance here.

Finally, loading virtual instruments might be the only real disappointment I've had. EDIT: After my first review update, this is no longer an issue. See the update at the top for details. (I've left the original text for full disclosure.)

As I keep saying, there is a noticeable improvement--load times seem to be cut by around half--but it's not quite what I was hoping for. I'm not going to blame the Vertex 4 too much for this, as I had (incorrectly, I suppose) assumed that the instruments were big, monolithic files (for example, all the samples in my largest instrument are packaged in a single container file) that would benefit from the high sequential read throughput SSDs are famous for. Whatever. The load time has gone from interminable to nearly bearable, and I'll take what I can get.

CONCERNS

Remember when I said that firmware updates are important? Well, when after using the drive for a few hours I got the first BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) I've ever seen in my life, I was reminded of this fact. That was when I was still stuck on firmware 1.4.3 and was what prompted me to check again to see if I could update. I'm on 1.5 now and haven't had any problems. I'll check in from time to time to report any issues.

Apart from that, as I mentioned earlier Foobar2000 has had some issues. I've had the interface hang, controls fail to operate, and audio occasionally skip when streaming off my server. However I've had the latter happen before I installed the drive, and the other two issues are infrequent and seem to have happened when I was still using 1.4.3. Definitely check your firmware and update as soon as possible if you don't have 1.5 when your drive arrives. So far I haven't had any BSoDs when waking from sleep, on either 1.4.3 or 1.5, so if you've read earlier reviews of this drive it would appear that particular issue is behind us.

Overall, the BSoD still concerns me, but I've been up and running solidly ever since the firmware update without any problems.

TIPS

There are many guides for optimizing Windows 7 for a SSD. Search around and you'll find one you like. Pay particular attention to the following, which appear in several of the guides I've read:

-Turn off the Indexing Service and Windows Search
-Deactivate Prefetch and Superfetch
-Eliminate the Paging File
-Turn off System Restore (if you're comfortable doing this; I use my computers as clients to my home server, so a system reinstallation only costs me time, not important data)
-Anything else that reduces unnecessary writing to the drive
-Make sure you're running in AHCI mode (in BIOS and in Windows)

SSDs have a limited number of erase cycles before they wear out, and anything that writes unnecessarily to the drive will shorten its lifespan (SSDs cannot overwrite data, so they must completely erase a block before they can write to it). Also, DO NOT DEFRAGMENT A SSD! Fragmentation doesn't impact a SSD's performance, and a defragment operation will create a ton of writing and will contribute wear to the flash cells.

FINAL THOUGHTS

As you can see, I've had a mostly positive experience so far with my Vertex 4. The five year warranty gives me peace of mind, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't see another BSoD. I'll hold off on saying whether or not I'd buy another OCZ product or recommend one to a friend until I've had more time with my drive, though at this point I haven't seen anything that would dissuade me from doing either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good job OCZ, April 16, 2012
OCZ's new Vertex 4 drive is probably the fastest current SSD under most common consumer usage purposes. It is blazing fast and has none of the blue screen of death (BSOD) issues of previous drives using Sandforce controllers. OCZ is now using a new Marvel/Indilinx controller with 25nm MLC NAND flash memory. Therefore, OCZ is confident enough to give this drive a 5 year warranty. This is my second SSD and it blows the previous one out of the water. Be aware that almost all of the negative reviews on this drive are from before the 1.5 firmware update (which is now preinstalled).

Right now, the top three SSDs (best selling and best reviews) on Amazon are the OCZ Vertex 4, Samsung 830, and the Crucial M4. The Passmark benchmark scores are as follows: 3589 for the Vertex 4, 3230 for the Samsung 830, and 2409 for the best Crucial M4. Passmark averages all submitted test samples so it is not very sensitive to outliers.

The Vertex 4 has an amazing 120k input/output operations per second which is 30-40% higher than almost all other drives and it has great access times. The sequential write which was a weakness is no longer so due to the firmware updates (it is actually now a strength). But keep in mind that 95+% (perhaps 99+%) of the time you will be reading from the drive and the read speed, in particular random read, is where you'll see almost all of the speedup. Even if you write on the drive often, there are almost no sources you can draw from that will use up all of the write speed of any newer generation drive. If you are downloading from the internet (even if you are on a 100Mpbs T3 line) you won't come close to the write speed of a standard hard drive. Alternatively, if you are writing to the SSD from a big data hard drive, the SSD write speed will definitely not be the bottleneck. The only time you will see speedups is with SSD to SSD writes (but how often do you do that?) or more specialized operations such as data generation.

The thing that the OCZ Vertex 4 excels at above and beyond all other drives is its performance on incompressible data (think videos and pictures). Sandforce based drives attain most of their speed with clever compression algorithms but tend to do poorly on incompressible data.

OCZ always had the lowest prices and fastest drives before but reliability was a significant issue. I'm glad they finally figured it out. You can now buy one of the cheapest drives out there (prices are comparable to Vertex 3) with speed and reliability. SSD's sure have come a long way.

-----------------------------------

Update 5/7/12

My drive still works perfectly and I just installed the new firmware so that the write speed more than doubled! The read speed also received a significant boost. This is the first time that I have become even happier with a purchase a few weeks in.

The new specs are:

550 MB/s read, 420 MB/s write for the 128 GB model
550 MB/s read, 465 MB/s write for the 256 GB model
550 MB/s read, 475 MB/s write for the 512 GB model

It seems like the SATA 3 interface is the limiting factor on the read speeds now. Because the firmware is so aggressive, it is destructive so that you must install it before you install your operating system or install it when the SSD is the slave drive.

The drive still blows away the competition on the IOPS and the random reads and writes on incompressible data which is almost an order of magnitude faster.

-----------------------------------

Update 9/8/12

My drive still works perfectly and the new firmware increased the speed even a bit more (see product info). With the myriad models of the newest generation of drives, it is hard for the average consumer to choose. All the drives now have outstanding read and write speeds (in excess of 400 MB/s) so the real world speed differences come from access time and IOPS (both of which the Vertex 4 excels at). It scores over 50% higher than the Crucial M4 on the PassMark hard drive benchmark.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for macbook pro w/Lion and ML!, June 26, 2012
J. Cole (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my early 2011 macbook pro and mid 2009 mbp and it works great but there are some steps to getting the drive up to date and working.
**UPDATE** works great with Mountain Lion 10.8

Here are some instructions on what to do for people who want to know about making this drive work with the mbp.

0. Backup all data you want from your old drive because you wont have it anymore after you remove it
1. take out old drive and replace with your new SSD (look for youtube videos on how to do this)
2. power on the laptop while holding the "option" key
3. connect the the internet and choose internet recovery
4. when you get into the install screen open disk utilities and select the drive
5. create a new (1 partition) and format your new drive as Mac OS Journaled
6. close disk utility and install Lion onto the drive

ok great now your drive is working and the OS is installed, but the drive is NOT updated to the latest firmware (helps to drive work at its best)
(just a warning this is more advanced)

7. goto OCZ's website for the latest vertex 4 firmware (please read all their instructions on how to update, below is my self-experienced abridged version)
8. download their OCZ Tools utility and burn it to a disk (dvd or CD, i used toast to do this but you can use disk utility also-> for help google "burn iso image osx")
9. restart computer holding option key again and choose to boot from the disk
10. wait for computer to reboot, your touchpad and Wifi wont work... so you need to plug in a USB mouse and connect via ethernet (MUST have net for this to work)
11. click the mac update tool on the bottom bar
12. make sure it is asking to update the vertex 4 (will say y/n)
13. say yes to setting to AHCI and do a normal update
14. after it is done it will ask you to press "S" and repeat the process 1 time as of 6/26/12 (start back @ step 9)
15. if everything is updated and everything is clear on being completed, shutdown the tool and restart the computer normally
16. YOU DID IT!!! easy right? enjoy instant loads and a now much cooler (temp.) and nearly silent laptop

The product itself is a 5 star product, just the installing and updating is not easy for a casual user hence the -1 star

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy fast., April 24, 2012
It took me a while to justify spending the money on a SSD (Solid State Drive) but after watching countless youtube videos and reading reviews about how much faster they were than regular HDDs (Hard Disk Drive), I decided to get one. I had looked around and found a lot of Solid State Drives with good reviews, but among them OCZ's Vertex line seemed to be the one that pulled out ahead in the benchmarks. Im glad that I decided on this one!

The drive has the highest IOPS (Input/Output Operations per Second) that I've seen online so far and it is based on OCZ's own Indilinx controller. Their previous SSD the Vertex 3 was based on a Sandforce controller. When OCZ bought Indilinx in 2009, I guess one could guess that they would incorporate that technology into their future products and they did. Basically what this means is that every part of the drive is built and supervised by OCZ themselves. There isn't any 3rd party hardware or software on the drive thats not from OCZ. In my opinion, this makes the drive more reliable.

PROS:

1. INSANELY FAST.

I installed it into my early 2011 13" Macbook Pro replacing my old standard HDD and its baffling how fast my system as a whole has become. A fresh boot takes anywhere between 8-9 seconds almost every time! Compare this to the usual 55-60 seconds I was waiting around staring at my screen with my old HDD and you tell me which one you would choose.

Every application I click on instantly pops up and is ready for use; even large applications like iPhoto or Garageband load instantly. I even did what I saw on a youtube video and loaded about 20 applications at once and they all started popping up instantly with everything loaded within 7-9 seconds. Crazy.

2. SET UP IS A BREEZE

If you aren't familiar with the steps involved in taking out the hard drive and popping in the solid state I would suggest just searching youtube. I did it for my Macbook Pro and after unscrewing all of the little screws which were a pain everything else was really easy. Unlike another review I saw, my Mac immediately recognized the drive and I was able to format it and install a fresh version of OSX Lion. I can't speak for other PCs but I would assume that almost any computer would have no problem recognizing the drive.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you have a backup of your data if you want everything to be exactly the same on your new SSD. I backed up all of my stuff to an external hard drive, installed the new SSD and used Migration Assistant to get all of my files, music, photos, etc. back onto the new SSD which took about 25 minutes total, but the time it takes depends on how much data you have. So if you have tons of photos, music, videos, and other files that your transferring don't blame the drive if it takes longer than that!

3. SILENT, BUT DEADLY

As opposed to an HDD which has a spinning disk inside of it, an SSD has no moving parts and therefore makes no noise. So my laptop is completely silent, which is pretty cool. The only thing I can hear if I go in real close is the slow whir of the fan.

CONS

1. SHIPPING

The only problem I had with this is my drive (which i was so excited to receive mind you) got lost by USPS. After contacting Amazon they said that they would send another one out free of charge and with free one day shipping. So kudos to Amazon.

If you are contemplating whether or not you should make the jump to an SSD my advice would be to do it. God as my witness, I promise there will be no regrets. The speed increase is extremely noticeable and everything you do on your computer will be snappier than ever.

I've also included some links to optimizing your system to get the most out of your SSD for both Mac and Windows users.

Windows: [...]

Mac: [...]

* Also if anyone is wondering if the installation of an SSD will void any Apple warranty, it does not. In the booklet you get when you purchase your mac it tells you which parts are user replaceable. In my case the RAM and Hard Drive were listed as user replaceable. The warranty does not however cover anything you break while you're messing around in your machine so as long as you don't break anything you should be good. Just double check what parts are listed as user replaceable in your booklet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fast New Controller, Still Not Compatible for Some Mac Owners, September 7, 2012
Dave (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OCZ Technology 256GB Vertex 4 Series SATA 6.0 GB/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) With Industry's Highest 120K IOPS And 5-Year Warranty - VTX4-25SAT3-256G (Personal Computers)
I have a 17-inch, Mid 2009 MacBookPro5,2 which utilizes the NVidia MCP79 SATA chipset/controller. The Vertex 4 uses OCZ's new drive controller architecture, the Indilinx Infused Everest 2 which seems like it would be a screamer. However, it fails as many other SandForce-based SSD drives have before it when it comes to compatibility the NVidia MCP79 controller on the MacBook Pro.

Some SandForce-based drives have been cured by Firmware upgrades which provide compatibility fixes with the NVidia MCP79. This differs from manufacturer to manufacture, but it is a known issue and SandForce has provided it's OEM manufacturers with the solution. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers have implemented the solution in their custom Firmware as the issue is limited only to those systems that have the NVidia MCP79 chipset as their primary SATA controller.

I worked with OCZ Support quite a bit to document and troubleshoot these issues when I purchased this drive (and the subsequent RMA replacement). Ultimately, they cited the issues with the NVidia MCP79 controller as the problem. Unfortunately, they do not have a solution at this time. OCZ recommended that I return the product as it was not known when (or if) the Firmware would be updated.

As far a I can tell, the issue with the NVidia MCP79 controller and the current generation SSD drives has been known since around March 2012, so it doesn't lead me to believe they're right on-top of it. Other manufacturers are in the same boat (such as SanDisk) where this issue is limited to only a portion of their client base (those with the NVidia MCP79 chipset), so I'm sure the inclination is to not put a lot of effort into it.

Many months ago, Apple released a firmware update that enabled SATA-II 3G speeds on the NVidia MCP79 controller. I was told by OCZ support (so take this with a grain of salt) this may be a band-aid patch that doesn't truly offer actual 3 Gbps bandwidth performance because of limitations of the NVidia MCP79 controller. This may be the case as I believe Apple moved away from the NVidia chipset and back to Intel in the later Mac models. Further, I understand that NVidia may have left the controller market completely.

In any case, I have to concur with the others: You need to do your research and find one with proper compatibility with this particular chipset. Other World Computing might have about a $60 higher price with their in-house branded SSD drives, but they stand behind their products being 100% compatible with your Mac. I may go that route as I've already done a similar dance with the OCZ experience (two drives, many hours on the phone with support later, I had to return the drive and go back to HDD). However, there may be other SandForce manufacturers worth looking into if they've done the task of implementing the recommended fixes in their latest firmware releases. Again, do your homework and find out.

Bottom line: Do not buy this drive if you have the NVidia MCP79 controller (Mac or PC). If you have any other controller, this would probably be the best SSD you can buy. I have to rate it two stars as it's advertised as compatible, but I had to do the work to determine it was not and came away returning the product and searching for a different solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe I waited this long to go SSD in my Macbook Pro, May 12, 2012
I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the 256GB Vertex 4 and it absolutely screams in my 2011 Macbook Pro. I was worried by some of the other reviewers having issues with the Macbook Pros, but I learned over on the OCZ forum that the issue is is with external enclosures. So I popped the new drive in the internal drive bay and did a fresh install without a hitch. I'd read how installing an SSD is like getting a new computer, but I am still floored by how fast this thing runs. I can't believe I waited this long to go SSD. IMHO, the Vertex 4 is the best SSD value on the market right now. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Fast with MacbookPro Late 2011, June 15, 2012
Immediately after Apple's official decision to quietly kill off the MacbookPro 17", I quickly ran out to purchase the last late-2011 model at the closest Apple Store. I also came here to get the 512GB OCZ Vertex4 and the Corsair 16GB RAM modules.

This is my first ever Mac upgrade (from the 17" late-2010 model), and it couldn't have been easier -> partitioned SSD for Mac via Disk Utility -> swapped out RAM modules -> swapped out SSD -> started with Disk Recovery (Power + Option key) -> restore from TimeMachine -> done.

At first, I tried to "erase" the SSD using Disk Utility, and the progress bar went up to 60%, paused, and then just gave me a disk utility error. Then I tried the partition instead, and that worked fine. After I installed it, I didn't have to fiddle around with any OCZ firmware mumbo jumbo, so that was nice.

This SSD is crazy fast for the Mac. One thing I really like about it is how flawlessly TimeMachine backups work in the background without any hickups to your current apps. You literally do not notice any I/O hangups... it's awesome.

We have several project deadlines coming up, so I'm going to be putting these components through the ringer. Hopefully the hold up.

UPDATE: After almost a month of using and abusing this drive, the OCZ Vertex 4 is BEAST! Even when I run out of memory and OSX starts to swap files everything continues to run smoothly as if nothing happened. It's as if I had an extra 512GB of memory.

UPDATE: Mountain Lion upgrade breaks the sleep-wake mechanism for firmware 1.3. Upgrading to 1.4.1.2 and restoring as I type this. OCZ provides a very nice guide to upgrade for Macs Only.

UPDATE: Firmware and restore is complete, and the latest firmware fixed the sleep-wake issue. All is good now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent speed - just needs a firmware update, June 29, 2012
This SSD is excellent as long as you get the 1.4 firmware update (at the time I bought this, the firmware was out but wasn't pre-installed on the drive). With the update it outperforms just about every other SSD on the market within a $100 range. A quick web search of benchmarks will prove just this. Also, the drive runs off of the indilinx Everest 2 controller rather than the widely used Sandforce controller. This gives the additional advantages of not having any data-compression limitations allowing consistent high performance with both compressed and non-compressible data.

Tip:
Installing the firmware can be painful if you don't have a Windows 7 machine. I run mine off of Windows 8 and the firmware update tool just absolutely refuses to run (because Windows 8 changed the ahci driver name from MSAHCI to StorAHCI). If you want to update the firmware (which you should) then you'll have to run the update tool on a Windows 7 machine first (Linux and Mac are not supported either at the time of this review. Unsure about Vista).

1.0 out of 5 stars OCZ does not honor their warranty, December 28, 2012
I've had this drive for three months. I needed to switch connections in my computer and when I did the interface to the drive detached. No other damage, not even a scratch, just looks like the interface was not securely fastened in manufacturing. OCZ refused to honor their warranty. I only asked that they secure the interface and send it back. I didn't ask for a refund or a replacement. Only that they reattach the interface properly, and OCZ refused. Do not buy anything from these people, they won't honor their warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for OCZ, June 8, 2012
I've had this vertex 4 installed in for 2 months. I'm on the z68 platform. it runs beautifully. Windows now boots in 12 seconds. I will never go back to HDD.