Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Videos Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on September 12, 2011
This drive is garbage. I truly hate it. I know those are strong words, but I've lost hours of my life trying to troubleshoot this accursed piece of technology. I've contacted OCZ a handful of times, and if I'm lucky to even get a reply, it's never helpful. Do not buy this drive. Having said that, here's my original review:

To get this drive to the point of proper operation was a huge headache. I purchased this device because of its price. For the size and speed of this disk, it is the best priced unit on the market. When I purchased the drive, I knew that there was a firmware/freezing/BSOD issue. Because I'm above average when it comes to technology, I figured I would be able to overcome these hurdles with relative ease. I was wrong. It took a ton of learning, reading, and frustration to get this unit functioning -- and even now, it is not 100%. The 20 or 30 dollars you may save with this device is not worth it, in my opinion. In an effort to save all of you some hassle though, here's what worked for me:

Two things to do. Update the firmware to 2.11 and change your SATA Controller driver. You may want to change the driver first, or else the OCZ firmware technology may not work properly.

1. Your Windows Driver. In Windows 7, go in to Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers>SATA Controller.

Right click it and pull up properties, then "driver" tab. Are you running the Microsoft driver (msahci)? If so, try the Intel SATA AHCPI driver instead. Google "Intel AHCI" [edited to reference newest driver] and download the driver. Install it for your SATA controller by going back in to device manager, opening the driver for the sata controller, and updating the driver by pointing windows to the folder with the intel driver. This was the big thing for me.

2. Firmware. My drive came with the newest firmware, so I didn't need to update the firmware. But, according to other accounts, not having the newest firmware also causes issues. Go to OCZ's site and there are fairly-straightforward instructions to upgrade the firmware on your drive. At the time of writing this, [2.22] is the newest version, it is also what mine is running, and seems to be going just fine. If yours is not [2.22], make the upgrade.

To check what firmware and what SATA Controller driver you are using. Download the "AS SSD" program. I believe it is available on It will show you the firmware and SATA Controller driver you are using. Make sure you're using Iastor (intel's driver) and [2.22] (newest firmware).

3. (This one is new). Do not disable your Pagefile (as OCZ recommends directly on its blog), unless you are POSITIVE you have ample RAM. Despite having 8 gigs of RAM, I think part of my problems might have to do with disabling the Pagefile (As OCZ told me to do). I've reenabled the Pagefile, and we'll see if this helps some of the problems in my comments. UPDATE: No effect. Computer would still hang at random.

Please read the comments for more up-to-date information on my experience. I've tried to edit this review as software and firmware has changed, but I'm not promising perfection. This is my most up-to-date advice: don't buy this drive, plain and simple. In earlier revisions, I thought maybe someone technically inclined might still find this a deal, but it's not worth the hassle, even if you're technically inclined, and even if you want to roll the dice. If you're buying an SSD, then you can probably hold off for a couple more weeks to scrape together another 20-30 dollars to get a drive that will make you happy. DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE!
5050 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 14, 2011
I had a horrific time getting this drive to work as a replacement in my mid-2010 MacBook Pro (MC375LL/A), but ironically, I only experienced issues under Mac OS X (Snow Leopard and Lion). While the installers for Snow Leopard and Lion and their respective Disk Utility applications both failed to recognize the existence of my new hard drive altogether when booted directly from DVD, the installer for Windows 7 happily recognized the drive right from the get-go and threw itself onto it. I managed to get Mac OS X Lion installed on the new drive by popping my old hard drive into a USB enclosure, booting Mac OS X Lion from the old hard drive by holding down Option at power-up, and running the Mac OS X Lion installer from there, pointing it at the new drive; I never could get this method to work with Snow Leopard. Once up and running, however, it was all but reliable with constant beach-balling, even under little to no CPU load, that required a hard power-off to escape from each time it happened. All applicable Mac OS X software updates were installed, my MacBook has the latest firmware installed, and I confirmed that the new hard drive shipped with the latest firmware version (2.11 as of today) as well via System Information, to no avail. The performance gains when the drive *did* work were absolutely huge--16 seconds to boot from a completely powered-off MacBook to the Mac OS X Lion desktop--but without reliability, the theoretical performance gains are overshadowed by constant frustration. Sadly, I'll be returning the drive to Amazon.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 2, 2011

I bought brand new components to build a new PC so everything was new. I had just installed Win7 Enterprise 64 bit on my new OCZ SSD (first time using a SSD) and as soon as I would log in to Windows a few minutes later everything started to slow down, desktop icons would Disappear and it would freeze up and right after I got a BLUE SCREEN of DEATH (BSOD).

Since everything was new on my PC I started testing all the major components to see where the (BSOD) issue was coming from until I got to the SSD and I saw that this was the BSOD issue.

My new motherboard Asus P8z68V Pro bios recognize the SSD with no issues.

Checked the forums and OCZ forum and they were saying to upgrade the firmware (what's new they all say that) so I did that and upgraded to version 2.15. And I did it twice in different times to ensure the upgrade was successfully. And I got both times the confirmation that the upgrade was successful.

I start seeing that in the forums all over a bunch of people were having the same type of problem that I was and I started to have a "bad feeling about this."

I tried to reinstall Windows 7 after the firmware update and when I get to the part of window installation that ask you to select the hard drive that you want to install I selected it and clicked next and when Windows starts to upload the installation files and have a percentage status info to show it would hang on 0% and after that I would get the following:

" Windows cannot be installed to this disk the computer's hardware may not support boot into this disk..." I knew that was wrong since the BIOs sees it and I was able to installed Win7 the first time when I got the BSOF)

Tried several times formatting different ways but when I got to the Windows where it shows windows uploading the files 0% it would hang and I would get the above message or this one below:

"Setup was unable to create a s new system partition or locate an existing system partition...."

Also got from time to time errors like 0x80042405

I also had bought a brand new WD Sata 3 - 2 tb disk and installed Windows on it with no problem , plug and play.

When I went to disk manager to see if I could see my OCZ it would not show up until I did a disk scan after I did that it would show up and after a few minutes it would disappear again. I was able to format it and assign a drive letter.

When I went to Windows Explorer and tried to create a file on the SSD partition it would say disk is not available and it would disappear the drive letter forcing me to rescan it again.

I also tried installing windows 7 with just my SSD plugged and I removed the WD drive but with no luck had same issues.

Saw at the Newegg website under the product feedback that the majority of feedbacks were about issues with OCZ SSD and the manufacture would reply back stating " We are sorry for your inconvenience. Try upgrading firmware...."

A SSD install should be basically plug and play if all your PC components are brand new. And not Plug and Pray.

I opened a ticket with OCZ support and it has been 3 days and no reply back. I returned today the SSD and I bought a new SSD and a better one through Amazon site

Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB SATA 2.5-Inch SATA III Solid State Drive (CSSD-F120GBGT-BK)

The OCZ SSD disk does NOT come with a bracket for you to install properly in your tower disk location. The Corsair does.

The Corsair may cost 20 or 30 dollars more but it is much reliable and less painful to install.

IF you buy the OCZ, Good Luck.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 24, 2011
This is my first SSD and it has met my expectations so far, with read and write speeds equivalent to reviews on Anand, Toms' etc. I have it on a native Intel SATA III port on a Z68 motherboard. It will not perform to its maximum on an SATA II port or with non-Intel controllers. After all is said and done, the primary virtue of an SSD is loading the OS quickly and loading programs quickly. The computing power of your machine will govern the speed of operations in most programs unless the program uses a large image file and swaps it frequently (photoshop, premiere.) The new OCZ model, "Max Iops" is undoubtedly faster, but at a price.

It was very easy to install and worked right outta the box. Loads Win7 64 pro quickly and also Dragon NS, which takes a minute to load on a 2-year-old box with XP. Because of rapid boot and program loading, I turn my computer off now between uses. I left my old one on 16/7 because it would otherwise take 3-4 minutes to get to readiness with both OS and programs.

I had one instance where the BIOS would not recognize the drive during bootup after Windows 7 64pro froze. My research shows a very obscure cause for this, having to do with low power management features of the OS. I have not had any BSODs nor has the freeze been replicated, so I am taking no action, but apparently OCZ has released firmware 2.09 to address the problem. Remember that the drive's firmware cannot be updated while it is a boot drive, so once you have installed OS and updates, it is very inconvenient to start over just to upgrade firmware. Use the secure wipe feature of OCZ toolbox before upgrading firmware. Better yet, check the firmware and upgrade before intalling this as a boot drive.
on December 31, 2011
Arrived on a friday, died on a saturday. Don't weep for me. This drive makes a May-December romance feel like an eternity.

What a cruel little drive this turned out to be. It teased me with the blazing fast speeds of a SATA 6G connection. I didn't encounter a single problem installing Win 7 x64 and I was stoked. Installed all the drivers to my P8Z68 Deluxe, installed core programs and a game or two, did the Windows Update thing and PRESTO! Superdrive! It was noticeably faster than my previous SSD (SATA II 3G) and I couldn't have been happier. I went to bed that friday night expecting more wonderful things to come. Then I woke up. More updates had installed and I was being asked to reboot. No problem, go right ahead. Next.... horror. T-H-E H-O-R-R-O-R...

My BIOS didn't recognize it. Literally. It wasn't there. Tested on a USB/SATA dock. Nothing. In another computer. Nope. Yet another. Nothing. Still another! Nope. Gone.

Placed my data there
Dreams filled with potent visions
In the morning I'm ****ed
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 23, 2011
Ordered this drive on monday, received it wednesday, tore the box open and threw it in my PC. At first I had tried to do the install and the PC didn't recognize the drive. I threw my hands up in the air "CURZE YOU OCZ" I yelled. I knew the reputation of the Sandforce drives and knew it well and I feared I had bought a drive which was simply not going to work.

However after checking my BIOS options, I realised i had made a mistake in the configuration, I fixed it and less than an hour later, I was fully updated on Windows 7 Ultimate and logging into my steam account.

Less than one hour from starting install to getting on Steam. I was amazed.

Coming from an old IDE HDD to this blew my mind in a way I thought not possible. I was wondering if the hype about SSD's was just stirred up to sell more high cost, low storage drives and if I should just wait till they hit 1 buck per gig. I have to admit that compared to traditional HDDs, any SSD will gobble up cash in a way not seen for almost a decade now in traditional drives. The promise, however, of picking this drive up for 200 bucks after rebate piqued my interest. I bit and i'm nothing but happy I did. I was amazed how much of a difference changing one part out of a machine I considered "Aging" (to a hardcore gamer or enthusiast) made. (For reference i'm running a e8400 Core 2 duo @ 3.0GHz, Sapphire 4870 1G, and 4Gb of Patriot RAM.)

So far so good, i've been really happy with my purchase so far. Now, lets hope it stays that way.

As they may have said on an OCZ version of "Press Your Luck" "Big performance, No BSODs. . ."
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 21, 2011
I've been using the Agility 3 with a macbook pro 2010 (SATA II) for the last three months, with a heavy pattern of computer programming tasks/netflix-type usage. I find the drive to have been stable and as fast as SSDs usually are. I hear that the more advanced ssd designs show big results on SATA III, but I felt the Agility 3 are a great replacement for the earlier-then-2011 laptops that can't use SATA III extra speed anyway.

I used XBench when I first got it, and just now. Both tests read about the same, and now maybe even a little faster . I DO use time machine backup daily (understanding that un-backed-up data isn't data at all), and I have no problems to report.
on January 16, 2012
So I was looking to speed up my Macbook pro. I ended up getting this drive at a fairly good price. Now install was very easy a few screws and done...

2 things I would mention out of the box this drive did not perform as expected frequent lockups freezes etc. The drive came with Firmware version 2.15. Most recent at this writing. Now. Things I needed to do to resolve this.

To see if you are having my issue look at "about my mac -> more info -> serial-ata"

Both speed should be 3gigabit.

Vendor: NVidia
Product: MCP79 AHCI
Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

If this is the case. Run a utility that boots a linux image and fix the speed that what not properly negotiated. Please note you must be on the most recent firmware as well. 2.15 at the time of this time.

CD Image can be downloaded from OZC here.

Once you are booted off the image you burned to CD. Click the icon called "MAC 1.5/3G" This will setup the drive to have the proper settings.

Currently everything is working great for me here drive is fast and my OSX is now stable.

I hope this helps someone else as well.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 1, 2011
These drives are just awful. We ordered 3 for benchmark testing -- one started failing within 10 minutes. I've heard bad things about OCZ on various SSD message boards, but ... wow, i had no idea. how do these guys even stay in business?
on November 21, 2012
I purchased 9 of these drives over the summer (Agility 3 60GB) and installed them in home, work, and kids machines. I would have written a great review of the drive except I should prepare everyone that if something goes wrong with it you can disregard whatever warranty and simply throw it in the trash.

I'm a developer and electronics engineer with drive experience going back to MFM and RLL drives. I wasted dozens of emails with an outsourced help desk trying to explain one of the drives was faulty (drive errors, very long timeouts, lost data, computer freezes). Their answer was to apply latest firmware and secure erase the drive and "it will be fine". Well, it wasn't and it took two weeks and six more emails to finally get an RMA. After shipping the drive back at my cost, they said they could find nothing wrong with it and were returning it back to me. I insisted they at least send me another refurb drive and not the same one. They said they would, but alas the same drive was returned to me (I marked it in a non obvious way suspecting issues after the email hassle).

Let me be clear here, this isn't one of those hard to duplicate issues. This drive was obviously bad from the start, and exhibited the same behavior in three different computers (all running other OCZ drives flawlessly). They tested nothing.

Update on 12/7/2012: I openned a new help ticket referencing the original ticket ID and inserted the above review for their reading pleasure. I was re-contacted and told if I shipped the faulty drive back, at their expense this time, they would send me a new 60gb Vertex drive (original purchase was an Agility III). It arrived as promised and out of fairness I wanted to update this review. I give them one more star for eventually doing the right thing, but how unfortunate consumers have to rely on powerful tools like Amazon's Reviews to get companies to honor the warranty's they advertise and price in to their products. 2 starts is generous for the incredible amount of time invested by me in this project for backups, restores, OS reinstalls, secure erases, and then to do it all again on the same faulty drive that was originally sent back to me.

See 1 answered question