Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation STEM

on May 11, 2011
I bought this for my new budget build and it's amazing. Not as fast as my Samsung 256 GB SSD in my laptop, but perfect for a main OS drive. I was able to install Windows 7 64 OEM and still had 8GB of free space left. Awesome little drive for the price.
on April 23, 2012
I have several of these in production and they are pretty fast for the price and have been reliable. I lost one after about 7 months, but I believe that was due to the power outages I was having when my UPS could not hold the load. I was able to get it replaced with out hassle from OCZ, but their online RMA system is a bit of a pain to deal with. I have been very happy with these drives. I have not been using them in high speed setups, but firewalls using pfSense. I did perform some speed testing before I built the firewalls and I was happy with the performance, but these drives are not for performance critical setups.
on February 6, 2012
Have two of these, one is a home cinema computer and the other in an aging laptop.

Has increased the cinema computer's boot-up speed drastically. Is quick all around after it's booted up, too.

A big difference on the laptop, too. I've heard the performance improvements are even better in Win7, but both of these run XP and I like the results.

I haven't had any read/write failures yet, but I trust OCZ to honor their warranties quickly and efficiently. A Squaretrade warranty is a good purchase if you demand quick turnaround times.
on December 30, 2011
Product works great for my Mini PC. I am using it with a Intel Atom N270 motherboard just for a Music server tied to Casatunes. My music library is pulling from a QNAP TS-212 therefore this SSD is only being used for operating and Casatunes software. Works great with fast boot times.
on March 28, 2012
I have had this SSD in my laptop for about 6 months now.

When I was shopping for an SSD my priorities in order were:

- power consumption
- price
- speed

I did a lot of research and decided that this model was a good value in terms of low power and high speed for the buck.

I have been very pleased with it. Laptop battery life is up about 50% compared to the mechanical drive, the laptop is much quieter both because of the lack of hard drive noise and because the fan rarely runs with the SSD, and boot time is lightning fast compared to a mechanical drive.
on May 2, 2011
Prior to using this SSD as a dedicated OS drive, I was getting transfer rate of about 50 mbp/s average. With is SSD, I'm getting 90 mbp/s average transfer rate.
on April 23, 2011
I'm not sure if this was just my product or if this is typical but I originally bought the Onyx to put Ubuntu on a separate drive rather than having both Windows and Linux residing on the same drive different partitions. It was trouble from the start. It had several write errors. The computer crashed endlessly. There were problems writing to the root drive. It wouldn't mount on boot frequently. If it did mount sometimes it would take forever. In other cases it would just never mount at all resulting in my having to restart, boot windows, then boot linux. Don't know what was up but I think this will be my last product from OCZ as my other SSD from them functions but also suffers from root delay problems.
on January 24, 2015
Fast when working but unfortunately it has a short lifespan of about 18 months. All three I've purchased stopped at about 18 months. Do not use for backing up, unreliable for data backups.
on February 9, 2012
I recently purchased this SSD for a new system I assembled. The mb is a Asus - P8Z68V PRO which supports Intel Smart Response Technology.

My friend said, "well you can use it for a main O/S drive"..but honestly 10 second boot times don't concern me (the pc is mighty quick as it is). Essentially ISRT uses a ssd for caching purposes. So I looked around for a inexpensive (hah) ssd drive and decided on the OCZ. Decent price and performance. After installing the drive (in a icy dock bay) and going into the bios, i then loaded the intel software. WOW is all I can say. The pc absolutely flies. I haven't benchmarked the speeds but I can assure you it's noticeably faster using the OCZ as a cache drive.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2013
Great drive for the price. Very fast. Great for the OS drive on my file server. I use this for the OS only as it will not hold much.