Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Dollhouse: Season 1 forum

OK T:SCC fans, listen up.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 20, 2009 9:46:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2009 5:32:32 PM PDT
Several rather obvious attempts are being made to post reviews of other Fox shows, and especially Dollhouse, in bad faith by people upset at Fox's decision to can Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Now, as you can see from my #2 review on the T:SCC Season One DVD, I'm not exactly a T:SCC hater (though I did feel the show went to crap in the second season, but even then were moments of greatness), so I'm reluctant to post this, but you guys need to knock it off. You need to knock it off for two very good reasons:

1. You're embarrassing yourselves. Seriously. Look at the reviews you're posting, and look at how they make you look.

2. You're promoting a war you really, really, do not want to fight.

I'm looking at the same people posting negative reviews for Dollhouse, Fringe, 24, and half a dozen other shows. Knocking Dollhouse and Fringe (much as I dislike the latter) is insane if you're interested in Fox and other networks trying to give science fiction a chance. What do you think is going to happen by attacking these shows? Is Fox going to go "Mea Culpa! We should never have canceled that expensive show with the poor ratings! We were entirely wrong to commission it, give it a second season, and then give it a mid-season pick-up after the ratings went to crap, but not renew it after the ratings kept declining and Josh Friedman made a series finale"

Or is Fox going to say "Oh, nobody appears to like Fringe or Dollhouse. I know, let's replace them with 'Celebrity Cooking or 'American Dancer' or 'Unfunny Sitcom Starring A Former NFL Player'?

I think you know the answer to that question.

And what, in the mean time, do you think the less mature fans of the shows you're attacking are going to do to YOUR show? Because, frankly, the only reason I haven't posted a T:SCC Season 2 review is because I try, where possible, to follow a "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it" policy when it comes to reviewing artistic works. And given all I can say that's good about S2 is "Well, I liked "Today is the Day, Part 2" and "Self Made Man", and Summer Glau, Richard T Jones, Shirley Manson, and Garret Dillahunt put in good performances", you can probably guess my review would be fairly negative.

And that's me doing an honest review, not some Dollhouse fanboy just being mean.

And I suspect, actually, if all of those who watched T:SCC did a review of S2, you'd get about 2/3 of the reviewers rating it two stars or below, because around nine million people started watching S2, and by the end of the season, only three million were left. 2/3 of T:SCC viewers didn't want to watch any more.

What's going to happen if you provoke Dollhouse, Fringe, and 24 fans into actually reviewing T:SCC?

Knock it off. I don't mind someone posting "Dollhouse is rubbish, I couldn't make it past the fifth episode" type stuff from people who genuinely feel that way, but those who are posting reviews purely because they're angry at Fox over T:SCC's cancellation need to show a little maturity. It's over. It happens. There's been plenty of shows I liked that Fox has canceled. I've never felt the need to behave like you're doing over it.

Posted on May 22, 2009 7:52:32 AM PDT
Paul, you've seriously become my new best friend! Couldn't have said it any better!!

Reviews are to critique a show; if you don't like Dollhouse, fine.. but elaborate on your reasoning of why you think it's a bad show. Saying that it "sucks" and pretty much blatantly stating that the only reason you feel that way is because you're a T:SCC fan and your show got canned, is bitter, childish, and annoying.

Fox gave T:SCC far more chances than it's awarding to Dollhouse. At least, T:SCC had a shot at an insanely great time slot at one point, and they had a renewed FULL 20+ second season.. Dollhouse is remaining in it's death time slot and only has another shortened season. T:SCC had worse ratings than Dollhouse so don't try to fight that fight. And finally, Fox issued a statement saying that Dollhouse's renewal aided in NO WAY to T:SCC's cancellation.

Posted on May 27, 2009 11:33:55 AM PDT
dottikins says:
Yes, thank you! When I first read those reviews, I literally saw red. Slagging on DH and -- apparently! -- other Fox properties is not going to get them anywhere! What they're doing is just petty revenge for an imagined insult (how dare these other shows get renewed when ours wasn't! blah blah) and just utterly uncool. It's seriously making me think of writing a review of my opinions of the second season TSCC DVD, which would a few steps up from scathing -- which happen to be my honest thoughts.

Posted on Jun 8, 2009 3:27:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2009 3:28:08 AM PDT
tellsnolies says:
Heck, I'm a Terminator: Sarah Connors Chronicles fan and I would never think about writing a negative review to a show I really liked just to get back at the network that cancelled my show. That is insane and childish and I'm embarrassed by those who behaved that way!

But I honestly am disappointed in the Dollhouse because it failed to create characters I could relate to. The acting, writing and the whole premise of an organization full of morally bankrupt individuals doesn't appeal to me. I'm not against flawed characters but I feel these characters aren't that interesting. My other favorite show is Dexter. Now there's a flawed character done right.

I am a huge fan of Joss Whedon. I hoped he would have another great show to his credit. IMO, the Dollhouse isn't one of them.

Posted on Jun 22, 2009 3:16:05 PM PDT
Peg Pru says:
Thank you Paul Harrison for your insightful and well-written post. I wish more posters (on various sites) would express their views clearly and forgo the hysterics. Unfortunately, many science fiction fans become so devoted to one favorite show that they trash anything in competition. This happened to Babylon 5 when a few misguided Star Trek fans went a bit crazy. There is room for many different shows. Some make it; some do not. Be grateful that there are networks willing to take a chance on sci-fi, historically not the most financially successful programming.

Posted on Jul 31, 2009 10:19:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2009 10:23:32 PM PDT
Vivek Sharma says:
i don't live in USA, but i'm pretty sure the reason they Put T: SCC and DH together in the same timeslot was so then both would get better ratings by being next to eachother. so dollhouse definitely would not have gotten T:SCC cancelled, as it was never competing with it. in fact it may have kept it afloat for a while (if anything); you known what the Joss whedon fanbase is like. but this annoys me that people attack dollhouse because their show is not around anymore. and honestly i think that Fox is getting better now- it used to be like "this episode is down on ratings- can it". now it sounds like it's giving sci-fi much more of a chance. and also, T: SCC got a season finale, lots of shows end too abruptly to get one. i'm glad that Fox let the show and it's cast and crew wrap-up in dignity.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dollhouse: Season 1 forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  May 20, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 31, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about