5.0 out of 5 stars Great Microscope
Published on December 20, 2011 by Merca

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor microscope, awful camera
If you want a good microscope, do not get this one, or any other with integrated camera. While the camera is UVC-compatible, it seems to use super-resolution methods to artificially boost the apparent resolution of its photos.

Published 6 months ago by C. Ervin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Microscope, December 20, 2011
This review is from: OMAX 40X-2000X Digital Binocular Biological Compound Microscope with Built-in 3.0MP USB Camera and Double Layer Mechanical Stage
I bought this microscope thinking it would be OK. I thought that it would be of OK quality, maybe some plastic components & a loose rack for slide carrier. Boy was I wrong. This microscope is absolutely awesome. The quality is 1st rate. The optics are great. The rack is solid & tight as a drum. This microscope reminds me of the ones I studied on in college (before they had been thrashed by us students. I would highly recommend this microscope at this price it is a steal. This should be $1000 or more. I just bought this scope & I have been looking at everything that I can get my hands on (CD, feather, spit, dirt, hair). I have not yet figured out how to attach the mirror to the chassis (no biggie, I'll figure it out). Remember, it doesn't come with any slides. So, order them with the scope. PS: I am not "Merca" that must be the manufacturer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal!, July 7, 2012
I tried to post a of bacteria and yeast that I made with this microscope but the upload froze at the end. Perhaps it froze due to
confusing Amazon by having no sound track?

I'll take this cheap, but new and properly calibrated microscope over the super expensive but abused and poorly calibrated microscopes at the college any day. When the college microscopes are properly calibrated (as in when you find a lab aide and have them adjust it on the spot) they might offer a clearer view than this. But most of the time the expensive college microscopes are trashed and you can't see much with them in spite of all the expensive optics. I kind of dread going to the college microscopy lab now, because I never know what condition my microscope there will be in.

I have been using my omax scope for looking at moss. I am very happy with it. It has an adjustment knob for condenser and a diaphram that I can see to focus on the edges with. It does not do dark phase, but I'm not sure what I'm missing with that. Some people find a way to get these types of scopes to do dark phase by putting something in the filter holder. I wish I knew how to do that. The biggest complaint I have is that it did not come with an eyepiece reticle and I had to order a different occular to get the eyepiece reticle.

I tested the lenses with a slide micromenter after I bought an occular with an eyepiece reticle, and found they were exactly the same as the college scopes.. to convert to micrometers at 4X multiply by 25, at 10X mulitply by 10, at 40x multiply by 2.5 and the oil emmersion lens requires no multiplication. I'm not sure what the multiplication would be for the x20 occulars and x2000 magnification as I did not purchase one of those with a reticule. I'm sure that someone who is good at math could figure it out for me. (hint)

I've been using this microscope about every other day for the last 4 months. I use it to look at moss leaves. I've gotten some great pictures with the camera but I had to learn to adjust the focus for the computer monitor and not for the eyepeices. The focus for the USB camera seems to be set for 100X magnifacation. The camera has a small width of view than the occulars, I can get around this by stitching images together so I can get a picture of a whole moss leaf even if it is a big leaf. But it takes photoshop for me to to a good autostitch.

The manual for the camera software is written in very poor Chinese to English. I can not understand it. I can use the software to measure things but I find that I have to calibrate it with the eyepiece reticle each time I use it. The software does not save your values, you must load a file with your values but the values do not seem constant. So when I want to measure stuff I measure stuff I calibrate the software with the eyepiece reticle each time. After that I can capture and image and make multiple measurements with ease. The camera software is not very powerful, for exaple, it will not do time lapse photos and the text it puts on measured items is way too small. I see no way to change the text size. Still I'm very happy that I got this microscope with a camera so I can share all my images and videos and for clearer viewing with the x20 occulars.

The hexagonal diaphram thingy is not a perfect hexogon anymore and I don't know if that is a problem or how to adjust it. The stage scrolls smoothly but has slightly more friction than the college microscope stages.

I am very happy with this microscope and am glad I did not pay thousands of dollars for a name brand scope.

Update, I have now been using this microscope for 8 months. It is still working great. The lightbulb did burn out once, so I replaced it with the extra bulb that came with it.

At first I found the x20 occulars to be worthless, becasue the glass is so small, (the field of view is the same I think) but now I have learned to use my PC and the built in camera to view things using those occulars. The camera actually gets a better image then my eyes do at x2000. At x2000 I can see bacteria swimming around!

I'm beginning to think that name brand microscopes are way overpriced!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great microscope, great service, May 7, 2012
Susan Baier (Chandler, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
We love this microscope! Very solid, very professional. Love that it can connect via USB to the laptop to show and take pictures of what you're looking at! Microscope Superstore's service was AMAZING -- I had to request a user manual (there wasn't one in the box) and they sent an email with the manual back to me within 5 minutes. Other inquiries were responded to just as quickly -- I couldn't believe it! We are VERY happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent item, November 8, 2011
The item was shipped very fast . It is an excellent microscope, excellent resolution and the software included to see the image in the computer help me a lot to explain the patients about their patologies.
The resolution of the image in the computer is not the same as in the microscope but no matter it is a good resolution, there are changes only with the original colours.

5.0 out of 5 stars MAC PLUG AND PLAY! EXCELLENT INTEROPERABILITY WITH OLYMPUS MICROSCOPES, July 11, 2012
I have been on the market for an oil immersion microscope for my wife [pediatric hematologist] for some time now. I read all the reviews but i must admit i am not a fan of reviews because it may just be planted or what not.
Because of its price, i am skeptical if this will really produce good images like Olympus Microscopes. The item arrived just 2 days after it was ordered. Since i am really not sure if this will work, i even waited for a day before i finally opened the box. I looked for a manual but there was none, just an instruction that it can be downloaded. Having worked with microscopes before [i'm a pediatric surgeon], i just assembled the microscope on my own, it was easy at least for me. there was a cd with a windows software so i was a bit disappointed that there was none for Mac. I dug up my old Windows laptop and installed it and in no time i was viewing the images! i can even adjust the usual image attributes...
Then i presented it to my wife, she gave it a try and said the light is like the old microscopes, so i replaced the bulb with the ones she uses on her olympus microscope. it improved but it is still not the same as the branded microscope. then i changed the objectives from the olympus objectives, still the images are still the same. so i said to myself, this must be it, the most that i can get from this unit. as i was about to replace the olympus microscope i noticed, the camera + eyepiece unit is of the same size. So i exchanged it too, Lo and behold! it is compatible! Then my wife unwittingly connected the usb to her macbook air. Through the photobooth app, the actual and very detailed images of the smear of blood appeared! It is even better than looking through the eyepiece. My wife had a hard time believing its price too!

for the prospectives buyers, if you have an old olympus microscope, you can just buy the camera unit if you want, i didn't before because i was skeptical. my mistake!

This is a great unit for anyone with a particular use for this. Just replace the bulb that came with it with the branded halogen bulbs and it would be as good as the standard microscopes. It is better to use with a mac because of the retina display available nowadays. the images just want to pop out! It is even plug and play. Windows isn't bad either, i tried it on all my image capturing software and it all worked!

i am happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Learning Package, September 7, 2012
What a wonderful learning tool this is! A quality microscope paired with a good camera and software. My intent is to make this available to students in our local church - and my only problem is parting with it myself!! The microscope arrived in 3 business days in perfect order. Included is a website address. There I found a phone number, requested the manual and received it via email about 10 minutes later. Instructions were clear and I had no issues assembling the scope and trying it out with the slides I had prepurchased. Images appear clear and as bright as I need them to be. Controls are firm, the stage and slide holder are very easy to work with and overall quality is obvious.

The software installed to my Windows 7 laptop with absolutely no issues and works in real-time - so instead of peering into the scope, I can place a slide on the stage, and watch my large screen while I postion the slide and do all the focusing. I have not yet experimented with the video, but the .jpg images can be saved with one mouse-click and look just fine to me. This will encourage group participation with the students and will let them migrate their work into photoshop, powerpoint, etc.

To sum-up, the many other positive reviews were "spot-on" - this is a great item at a great price!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor microscope, awful camera, June 5, 2014

It's mostly metal and feels solid. All in all, the mechanical side worked pretty well. However, the lenses are just awful. I can see more detail at 40x on my second-hand name-brand scope than I could on this scope at 100x. It actually goes up to 2000x (10x eyepiece, 200x objective lens) there is absolutely no point. With these optics, even 400x (10x40) is almost pointless. I stopped even bothering to go beyond that magnification after a while. Then, when I finally had enough, I returned it and bought an older used name brand scope for only $300, with significantly better optics, although no camera, cheap or otherwise. An eyepiece camera adapter only cost me about $100, however, and produced much better photos.

I cannot recommend this microscope to anyone, since you can get similar scopes for your kids at a much lower price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars nerdatheart, December 3, 2011
shipped very fast and packaged vary well, easy to put together. I bought on cyber week Monday, and can not believe the big bang for the buck. I home school and this was a dream come true find, we love it...I and my husband have had lots of micro college classes and feel this is even better then the ones we used. I had to use the 32 program, and it's produces a good picture on the computer, it was great to have my husband find a sample/object with the microscope, while me and the kids watched it unfold on the laptop, and so far everything is working just fine. I wish, I could, buy this for all my home school mommy friends.....I could not download the manual, so emailed them and in less then 30 minutes they responded and I printed out. Thanks for making our home school class room packed full of science fun.....at a great price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well-constructed item . . . but, May 12, 2012
Wordwrkr (Bonner Springs, KS, US) - See all my reviews
This is a high-quality product, which is really all that matters. The documentation that came with it was sadly lacking, but I managed to figure everything out OK. (Why don't foreign manufacturers hire native speakers of English to review documentation before shipping product?)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, some problems, February 5, 2013
I am a retired college microbiology teacher. I wanted something that I could use to engage my grandchildren's interest in the microbial world, and to make some digital microbial art. The optics on this very reasonably priced scope are fine. Not quite as good as the more expensive teaching scopes I used, but pretty good. Putting the scope together was easy for someone experienced in microscopes, but might not be for someone with no previous knowledge.
The problem is that there are NO instructions for connecting the digital camera to the computer. I emailed customer service at microscope.com and was told that my iMac came with software that would be compatible. The cd that comes with the scope is for PCs, not Macs. I am using Photo Booth, and have made good quality stills and videos. Got some nice shots of nematodes and rotifers. The color balance is bad--everything is yellower than it should be, but I will experiment with filters and see if I can improve that.
Overall, a good buy for the money.