Customer Discussions > Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel forum

The ONLY reason why Mariah's CD didnt do well...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2009 4:48:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2009 5:00:57 AM PST
The ONLY reason why Mariah's cd didnt do well is because of her timing and single choice...the cd had some great single potentials. Obsessed released on June 16th peaked at number 7 on the Billboard Hot 100 but when she followed up with "I Want To Know What Love Is" I immediately knew that was a disaster. That song is not even single quality it should have just been an album filler because its something only the fans would like not the mass audience. Not to mention, it took her FOREVER to come out with a video and when it did come out it was boring since all she does is just stand there, H.A.T.E.U was boring too for the same reason. If I was under her management team I wouldnt have released Obsessed so early so that her competition wouldnt have ran into Whitney's comeback (and i'm not saying Mariah stands no chance against Whitney but usually when someone of that star magnitude goes on hiatus its inevitable that their comeback will become a big talk), and I wouldve did a follow-up after obsessed with 2 singles simulataneously like with 'Ribbon' and something else, maybe Candy Bling or Betcha Gon Know and H.A.T.E.U. couldve been sequels because they have a similar story line. Mariah is still thinking she in the 90s, she got to understand that singles and albums are QUICKLY forgotten about these days. One month this single and artist is hot the next month it's not even about them anymore. She takes too long to release singles and she takes too long to release videos. And she's not doing enough promotion. She's gotten SO LAZY since she's been with Nick Cannon, I dont think she cares to make the kind of impact with the music business like she use to. If I was over Def Jam I wouldnt even allow a re-release of MOAIA next year under remixes because I don't think the public is going to really go out and all of a sudden purchase this album. But then again it was baldheaded L.A. Reid's choice to release " I Want To Know...", Its a wrap for Memoirs, no pun intended, if I was her I would Fire my management, get back in the studio and start over and do a new cd in like 2 years from now if the contract permits.
This is my opinion but I fell her single choices shouldve been in this order:
1. Obsessed 2. Betcha Gon Know & H.a.t.e.u 3. Ribbon & Candy Bling 4. Inseperable & Angels Cry 5. Up out my face 6. I want to know what love is (this can be a concert clip made into a video)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2009 1:56:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2010 12:47:20 PM PDT
It isn't just that, Mariah delayed the album due to low pre-orders. She also got beaten by Barbra Streisand and her record Love Is The Answer, which hit #1, and Streisand's album has already gone Gold, and Whitney's album has gone Platinum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2010 7:28:02 AM PST
....this cd was good just underpromoted

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 12:03:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2010 12:03:53 PM PST
"The ONLY reason why Mariah's cd didnt do well is because of her timing and single choice.."

And the other reason is nobody cares anymore!

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 2:03:27 AM PDT
I think the real reason? She has totally destroyed a once fantastic pop voice by trying to sing things that were unhealthy and stylistically brutal to the instrument. When you have no vocal ability left, you resort to heavy over-production and the latest "fad" hit maker in hopes that someone buys the 2nd rate crap that makes up this album. It isn't musical, it isn't clever, it isn't timeless.. it just ISN'T..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2010 12:48:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2010 7:10:24 PM PDT
I absolutely agree, and not only that, the remix album Angels Advocate has already been delayed from its March 30th release. A huge let down for Mariah Carey fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 5:44:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2010 5:46:23 AM PDT
Elijah says:
I agree.....Memoirs SHOULD have produced at least 3 #1 hits but the order in which they were released was terrible!!! I say Obsessed, H.A.T.E.U, (with a slammin video), Up Out My Face, Candy Bling, Angels cry....ALSO the cd was released to early period. People were still getting off EMC2.... She needs to give time for people to wonder where she's been

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 7:14:41 PM PDT
Well, Mariah now has a Christmas album coming soon, but honestly she really should've taken her time instead of rushing Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel. Also, with the cancellation of Angels' Advocate, Mariah needs to really get her A-Game from her voice on, to get her hard core fans back. It is honestly one of the reasons why I still thought Whitney Houston's I Look To You was a better bet, and I was right, because it still is a better buy on Amazon's Sales Ranking, even after one year of release.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2011 3:20:57 PM PDT
i think the reason is because she has just strayed too far from what made people love her in the first place, her beautiful voice, i have loved her since vision of love but she just sounds so different from that now,for me, its about hearing her sing not about whose the next rapper she can collaborate with.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2011 6:12:25 AM PDT
Whatever the case is, Mariah Carey just made a album that felt more like a waste of time. Well, now with a upcoming record in 2011, after just becoming a mom to twins, she needs to find a way to reclaim her own voice. Mariah has lost it, and hopefully one day she'll get it back for herself, and for the sake of her twins.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 10:37:56 PM PDT
Carlos G. says:
Michael Kerner I think Mariah wrote Obsessed especially for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 11:06:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 10, 2011 3:04:26 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 9:05:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2011 12:55:41 AM PST
Lindsay Mays says:
I have NO CLUE why my earlier comment was deleted, but anyways @ Dixie, i couldnt agree more! mariah keeps putting out album after album trying to be that # 1 diva she once was and its never gonna happen because she just simply is not the same artist anymore! mariah has cheapened her whole image-with the skanky clothes, the rappers ect. she really is just another gimmicky pop star now like all the rest and what sucks is that she really DOES have the talent.(even though she's nowhere near where she was in her prime, she can still sing better than anybody in the industry even today) i was never one of those people who longed for the "old mariah" but when you see her old videos and listen to her old cd's compared to her now, you realize how much superior she was before. mariah mightve been unhappy with tommy mottola, but he was older and wiser and knew that mariah's kind of talent only comes along once in a great, GREAT while and yes-him and columbia did capitalize on that. thats why when she was with him, she was at her best. in the 90s, mariah reigned supreme. nobody was even close to her. she had back to back #1 songs and albums for almost 10 years straight until her and tommy divorced and she rebelled (and thats exactly what she did) from what she felt was a goody-goody image and she hasn't been the same since. dont get me wrong-i still love mariah but like i said, when i listen to her old stuff, i just realize how much better she used to be. another thing i dont like about mariah now is her diva attitude. unlike alot of MC fans (lambs), i dont think mariah's diva attitude is "cute". its a turn-off. plain and simple. mariah has NOT done good for herself in the 2000's at all (compared to her 90's career) yet she still thinks shes queen b. you can tell she surrounds herself with people that tell her how great she is and like alot of celebrities, belives her own hype. mariah will always be my favorite singer, but she has dissapointed me (and i know im not the only one) in recent years.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 12:02:28 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
The album didn't do well because it's just not a good record. It lacks the punch and fun of her prior albums. She didn't really need to release an album so soon after E=MC2 anyway. Memoirs could've used some more time in the studio.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 4:57:21 PM PST
That is why I didn't recommend Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel from Mariah Carey and said it was a bust. This was why I said go with Whitney Houston's I Look To You instead, a better album with a intimate voice.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 3:11:40 AM PST
Lindsay Mays says:
yeah, but did you hear whitney try to sing live? omg, it was absolutely horrendous! the voice is GONE!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel
Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel by Mariah Carey (Audio CD - 2009)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (328)