Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on August 1, 2011
Review below is for the SOLID COLOR with O'NEILL LOGO ACROSS FRONT made of POLYESTER/ELASTANE material.

-------------------------

INSIDE COLLAR READS:
89% POLYESTER
11% ELASTANE
HAND WASH / DRIP DRY
MADE IN MEXICO

I have been wearing O'Neill rash guards for over 17 years and this rash guard is awesome! I am an educator and have been a certified water safety instructor for two decades. The following has been my experience with the "Women's Basic Skins Long Sleeve Crew" for over 4 years, so far.

I have several of these POLYESTER rash guards in different colors. In over twenty years of wearing different brands and styles of rash guards, I find the SIZING of this rash guard to be ACCURATE - this style of rash guard is intended to fit skin tight (hence the name "SKINS").

The POLYESTER/ELASTANE material this particular rash guard is made of DOES NOT STRETCH AS MUCH as the nylon/spandex material some rash guards are made of. BUT, this polyester rash guard / skin has lasted longer and does very well with daily saline and chlorine exposure from public and residential swimming pools. So, I go with slightly less stretch & overall comfort in exchange for durability.

If you are concerned about the sizing, the picture shows exactly how the rash guard is intended to fit - like a second skin. Generally, rash guards are sized to fit tight so the material will not bunch-up, ride-up, or slip/slide around during water sports or when worn under a wetsuit. If you prefer a looser fit, consider sizing up. If you are considered overweight (BMI/Body Mass Index over 25 as opined by a doctor or other qualified professional), maybe consider a "rash tee" or "swim shirt" instead (search: "O'Neill Women's Tech 24/7 Long Sleeve", "Coolibar swim shirt", "XCel Women's Plus Size Sun Shirt", "Aqua Design Women's Relaxed Fit UPF50+ Sun Protection Surf Swim Rash Guard Shirt", etc.)

**2011 UPDATE** After about a month of almost daily use in saline and chlorinated residential swimming pools the stitching has faded slightly and the lettering on the front is cracking slightly. Color of the rash guard / skin (the polyester material) has stayed the same.

**2012 UPDATE**
The quality & sizing was the same as above during Summer 2012. Added opinion about this rash guard below.

RE: HEAT RETENTION & BUOYANCY
My experience when wearing this rash guard has been the following:
- I feel the temperature of the water I am in
- I feel the ambient temperature WHEN THIS RASH GUARD IS WET and I am OUT OF THE WATER
- I feel a chill if there is a breeze WHEN THIS RASH GUARD IS WET and I am OUT OF THE WATER

When swimming while wearing this rash guard, my experience has been the following:
- I DO NOT experience unnatural or added buoyancy - I DO NOT float more in water - when wearing this rash guard.

See Amazon's description for this rash guard for information on what it offers. Generally, RASH GUARDS ARE NOT INTENDED TO HELP RETAIN BODY HEAT in water and generally WILL NOT CAUSE UNNATURAL/ADDED BUOYANCY. Generally speaking, a garment that is intended to help retain body heat in water sports is usually made out of a material called neoprene or made with some neoprene. I have wetsuits that are made of neoprene and those DO cause me to become more buoyant when in water. This is due to the porous nature of the neoprene material that has tiny air pockets within the material. The tiny air pockets in neoprene help retain body heat when a garment has a skin tight fit. The air pockets in neoprene material can also cause some unnatural/added buoyancy depending on the thickness of the neoprene. However, THIS RASH GUARD IS NOT MADE OF NEOPRENE. Put simply, wearing this rash guard in water is the equivalent of wearing a skin tight polyester shirt (of course, with 11% elastane for "four-way stretch" and "flatloc stitching" to avoid chafing). To my knowledge, there are no air pockets in polyester material that can help with heat retention or cause buoyancy. I do not get, or even expect, heat retention in water and I do not get/expect unnatural/added buoyancy while wearing this rash guard in water.

RE: CHAFING
So far, in over four years of regular use of this brand and particular style of rash guard, I have not experienced chafing of any kind. This rash guard is "flatloc stitched" to help avoid chafing and that works fine for me.

RE: ADDED DRAG (a.k.a FRICTION DRAG in aquatics)
I experience some friction drag in water, which is to be expected while wearing a long sleeved polyester shirt while swimming.

RE: TAKING-OFF THE RASH GUARD WHEN IT IS WET
I sometimes find the rash guard challenging to take off when it is wet, but that is to be expected when taking off any wet garment that has a skin tight fit.

2013 UPDATE:
FYI:
* TWO-TONE (two colors) with O'NEILL LOGO on LEFT are NYLON/ELASTANE* (occasionally appear for sale on this page)
I saw the new two-toned rash guards at an O'Neill store on Feb. 17, 2013 and looked at the label.
* SOLID COLOR with O'NEILL LOGO ACROSS FRONT are POLYESTER/ELASTANE* (the ones always for sale on this page)

Best wishes to all on finding what you're looking for.
88 comments313 of 318 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2011
I'm going to talk about the size since it seems to be a topic of discussion on this item.

1) This item is SKINS, it is meant to fit skin tight
2) According to the one I got, sizing is accurate.
3)I am usually an XS, I am 100 lbs, A Cup, 5'2 tall.
I decided to order a SMALL instead of an XS because I didn't want it to fit completely skin tight, just a little bit of room to breathe.

My top:

1) Torso, length, etc is true to size. The torso part falls a couple of inches below my hipbone, because I am so short.
2) The wrist opening runs on the small side, my wrists are tiny and the size small hugs them perfectly.
3) Shoulders and armpits area runs true to size, I have a bit more space than I would with a skin tight rashguard.

My advice:
- If you have a bigger chest, this might be a bit restricting on your front/chest area.
- I think this might run too small for plus size.
-True to size.

I would rate this product as running TRUE TO SIZE if you are looking for a SKIN TIGHT RASHGUARD. If you want a tiny bit of stretch, order a size up. If you want it to fit like a fitted t-shirt, order two sizes up.
11 comment159 of 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2013
I am 5' 1" and 100 lb 32A. I bought a small and xs to compare. The small is fitted and the xs is snug. I felt the xs hugged just enough that I noticed it when trying to breathe and so was slightly uncomfortable. The small is about 2 inches longer. Neckline was comfortable for both sizes. Nice quality.
0Comment51 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2011
I have been looking around for a skin for some time and bought this one based on O'Neill's reputation and its price. After looking at the reviews, I purchased one size bigger than what I normally wear, thinking that that would give me the fit I desired. It did not. I was looking for something that fit like a racing swim suit, incredibly tight as that is how a skin is supposed to fit to minimize rashes. What I got was something that fit like a moderately tight t-shirt. If you are not going to be incredibly active while wearing this skin, size up! But in order to minimize the possibility of getting a rash, order the size that you normally wear. It will be a tight fit, but if you're active, you'll appreciate it later.
0Comment82 of 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2015
This is about sizing. I was in agony about whether to order medium or large. I wish there were pictures of how they fit. Well, I am providing them to you, to possibly save you some time.
I am 5'6", 138 lbs. on a good day, 140.5 lbs. after a nice meal.
I very recently ordered the large in BLUE AQUA, and the sleeves are quite long. There was more draping, as you can see, but due to the nature of the fabric, my muffintop was still visible. :-)
I then ordered the medium in GRAPEFRUIT. It felt much more "skintight," but it did not hinder movement at all. I like that the sleeves fit better too. I wore it while puttering around in the backyard, and it was very comfortable. It does show every bump and bulge, though. If you are my height/weight, you can go either way for fit, as long as overly long sleeves that need to be folded up at the wrists do not bother you.

Wishing you much fun in the sun! I do like these for the sun protection.
review image review image
0Comment24 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2012
Last week I ordered the short sleeved rash guard from O'Neill via amazon in size small. It fit perfectly. For size reference I am 5'7.5", 123 lbs, bra size 32-34 c-d, and typically wear an xs or s in women's clothing. I decided to order the long sleeved version in the same size and it is much smaller. I could barely put it on and it was definitely not comfortable. I put the long sleeved version on top of the short sleeve and it is an inch narrower on each side, which means it is a full 4 inches narrower in circumference than the short sleeved version of this shirt. I plan to reorder, but am unsure if I should get the medium or large.
review image
0Comment31 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2011
Atucally purchased this for a little extra warmth while snorkling because I didnt want to get a full wetsuit. Was perfect with 68 degree water kept me warm and comfortable not having to wear too much.
0Comment62 of 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2011
I tend to wear Medium shirts. Depending on the brand, sometimes I wear a small and sometimes a large too. My bra size is between 34B and 36B and pants between 8 and 10. I wasn't sure what size I might wear, so I ordered both a L and XL hoping to find a size with a comfortably loose fit. They are both ridiculously small. I could barely get my wrist through the shirt sleeves in the XL and it was very tight on my chest. I will have to send both of them back. I wish these companies would do a better job of listing size charts for their products and providing measurements to help us decide what size might work. If an XL isn't even going to fit an average sized woman, then it would be helpful if they provided bust and length measurements. It's is always a stab in the dark and when it doesn't fit everyone loses.
22 comments109 of 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2012
This was the best deal for a long sleeve rash guard I could find on line and in stores. It fits well, its tight but it is supposed to be. I wear a medium and I ordered a medium and I think it is true to size if you want to wear it tight like you are supposed to. I also like that it is very long and the sleeves are long because I am tall and other rash guards are too short and don't cover my stomach or wrists. The writing on the front is a little different. I ordered the black with blue lettering and mine came with smaller lighter blue lettering. I liked it because of the color of the lettering but I'm not going to return it. The quality is good and it feels comfortable so overall it was a great purchase.
on September 11, 2011
I ordered this rash guard one size up after reading the reviews stating that this product runs very small. I ended up returning the medium in exchange for a small. I believe the size you order depends on your body type. I am 5'7" 120 pounds and found the small to be perfect. Also, a rash guard is supposed to fit snug. My advice, check out the O'Neill website for an accurate sizing guide. I do believe their sizing guide is designed for people with athletic builds, so be aware of that.

As for the guard itself, it's great. It keeps me warm in the cold, West Coast rivers and provides great sun protection.
0Comment29 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

See 1 answered question