5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly useful back saver
This a such a good idea that each of my heavy "around-the-neck" collection of items (cameras, binoculars) has gotten one. It is amazing how heavy SLR's are now easier to carry, and that's saying nothing about the advantage of having both hands free to change lenses and handle the camera safely. Also, the camera is always "at-the-ready".

There is also a version...
Published on September 24, 2008 by Denis Maftei

1.0 out of 5 stars Not made for smaller people
I'm 5'4", 110 lbs, and this did NOT work for me. I adjusted it as much as I could, but I couldn't get it small enough to have it snug. Because it wasn't snug, the camera's weight brought the diamond-shaped patch in the back up to the base of my neck which was really uncomfortable.

Published on April 11, 2011 by H. Kittleman

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly useful back saver, September 24, 2008

There is also a version of the harness with elastic bands. WHile the elastic bands are good over heavy clothing (think winter), I find that the camera swings too much so I prefer the solid harness.

All in all, a wonderful item to have for anything that you may want to carry around your neck for immediate access.

5.0 out of 5 stars It just works, February 8, 2009
I love this thing. It combines all the comfort of a camera bag with all the convenience of a neck strap. (Almost all the convenience -- I find it a little awkward for vertical shots, but unsnapping one of the buckles solves it). It looks pretty dorky, if you care, but with a backpack, vest, or jacket its more or less invisible. It looks to me like it will last forever.

Before I got this, I had two choices when I wanted to have my dslr along for a long walk, neither satisfactory. I could wear it on the OEM neck strap for convenient access, but found that quickly got uncomfortable, and, on a hike, having the camera swinging around so much made me nervous. Or I could carry it my camera backpack, but getting it out for every picture meant a lot fewer pictures.

One of the best camera gear purchases I've made.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must-Have Harness For Heavy Cameras, October 7, 2009
Red Peters (Sterling, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OP/TECH USA Bino/Cam Harness - Webbing (Camera)
I bought this to use with a Nikon D300 with battery pack and a 70-200 f/2.8 lens (weighing over 7 lbs). While I love my Op-Tech pro strap for most shooting situations, I found that extended use during sports events left me with a sore neck. I have (and could use) a monopod, but I like the flexibility of handheld shooting better. Looking for a harness solution, I found this model by Op-Tech and a much more elaborate and expensive unit from Kinesis. The Kinesis harness was tempting, but was quite a production compared to the simplicity of the Op-Tech. For the $10 or so that the Op-Tech, I figured I couldn't go but so wrong - and I was right.

This harness is perfect in its size and simplicity. Takes a little thought and negotiation to get it on, but once in place it works perfectly. The weight of the camera is displaced across my shoulders instead of the back of my neck, and is far more comfortable over the course of an afternoon or evening. It also allows for complete freedom of movement, so bringing the camera up for vertical shots is no problem at all (this was something I had worried about).

The only complaint I have - and it's a minor one - is that it is not padded over the shoulders. This is easily remedied with a couple of universal strap pads from Timbuck2, but I think Op-Tech should have included padding in the design, even if it doubled the price. For this I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5.

Bottom Line: If you're looking for a more comfortable and more secure solution for camera carry than a shoulder or neck strap, this harness is about as good as you'll find for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hiker's Answer, August 2, 2009
This review is from: OP/TECH USA Bino/Cam Harness - Webbing (Camera)
I am an avid hiker, however carrying a D80 with a standard neck strap requires constant stabilization. Last summer we hiked to the top of Mt. of the Holy Cross in CO. By the time we hit 13K feet I had to put the camera in my backpack and no longer took any pictures until we got to the top. This spring I purchased this harness along with Optek's 37012 neck strap. Talk about a terrific solution. We hiked to the top of two 14ers this summer with my camera handy all the way.

There have been comments about the strap connections to the camera. I connected the harness connections directly to the camera, I then looped the neck strap connectors through the harness straps on the camera. I can snap in the harness or the neck strap w/o fiddling with my camera. I now have both ready to attach. Sadly the neck strap and harness connectors are not interchangeable. This is something that Optek could consider in the future.

Another reviewer also commented on the difficulty of seeing the LCD, etc. I found it easiest that when not doing a standard horizontal or vertical shot, to just disconnect one\ side of the camera. The quick connects are very easy to operate.

If you want to hike and take pictures with a DSLR - this is the answer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not made for smaller people, April 11, 2011
This review is from: OP/TECH USA Bino/Cam Harness - Webbing (Camera)

I had my husband, who's 5'10" and 175 pounds, try it on. He was able to get it snug, but since he's not a big guy, he had to adjust it down to a smaller size which caused the plastic buckles to rest on his collar bones which wasn't comfortable.

Another thing is that because the webbing is one long piece, this is hard to adjust. When you make one side longer or shorter, it makes the other side shorter or longer respectively, so it's a challenge to make both sides the same length while trying to get them the length you want.

I'm glad this has worked for a lot of other people, but I'm really disappointed and will be sending it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camera accessory!, February 8, 2010
This review is from: OP/TECH USA Bino/Cam Harness - Webbing (Camera)
Once you figure out how the straps are configured and get it adjusted to your size, it is the best assessory you can have for your camera or binoculars! It is a little confusing and takes a little time to get it adjusted initially (for me, anyway). If you do not like the weight of the camera hanging from the neck strap and want to have your hands free to do other things, this is just what your need. The neck strap is removed and a connector is attached there instead. Then you simply put the harness on, attach your camera with the clips, and your are ready to go. I use my harness most of the time I am using my camera. It securely holds your camera in place with just a couple of clicks of the clips. It holds the camera close to your body, yet slips along the harness easily up to eye level for taking photos. I do a lot of hiking, so I like to have my hands free, yet have my camera readily available to take quick, spontaneous photos of that unexpected deer, turkey, bear, etc. This harness allows the camera to be in your hands in a split second, so you are not having to dig in a backpack or hip belt to get your camera. By the time you take off your backpack, your subject has moved on. Sound familiar? This harness is the solution. I have bought one of these for each of my daughters, also. This allows them to have their hands free to take care of their children, yet be ready to capture those unforgetable moments that create memories. In summary, the best features of this product is:
1. Low cost
2. Very good quality
3. Eleviates neck and shoulder pain from weight of camera
4. Holds camera securely (even with large lens)
5. Leaves your hands free
I would recommend this to anyone who has a SLR camera or larger binoculars that are heavy. I wish I had had one back in 1985 when I dropped a new camera to the bottom of the ocean (along with all my great photos) on a diving trip.....BUY IT NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted!, October 5, 2009
DJ-STL (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OP/TECH USA Bino/Cam Harness - Webbing (Camera)
I recently biked across the Golden Gate bridge into Sausalito and on to Tiburon while my wife and I were on vacation in San Francisco. I knew I would be taking a lot of pictures along the way. I also knew that my camera would be swinging back and forth and hanging down if I did not get something to hold it in place. I bought the Bino/Cam Harness hoping it would help and it worked perfectly. The camera stayed in place just like I had hoped. And when I wanted to take a picture, I could slide the camera up to my eyes without any problems. At one point, my shoestring got caught in my gears and I fell over to the ground. My camera did not even touch the ground because of the harness. It was so comfortable that I wore it all the time under my jacket which kept the camera out of sight and out of the way until I wanted to use it. One of the best photography purchases I have made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Binocular-saving device!, March 7, 2009
I tend to climb rock cliffs and prune trees while wearing my binoculars. They swing and get banged up and out of alignment. Birdwatching friends told me about this harness so I bought one regular and one stretch variety. They're both wonderful. No more swinging around binocs. I can hardly feel them with this harness. I like the stretch kind for wearing in the car, when I want to stop and twist around to see a bird behind me. The regular type is fine for wearing while walking (or climbing or pruning). It stays close to my chest. I had no trouble attaching it to my Nikon binocs nor to my Equinox binocs.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference!, October 8, 2008
Just got this today. Only tried it on for fit, but I can feel the difference in my neck! I carry an Olympus E-500. The camera/lens doesn't weigh much, but with the neck strap it gets uncomfortable. This harness strap will make a big difference, I'm sure! Price was great and now it's even cheaper. Thanks Amazon & Adorama.

5.0 out of 5 stars OP/TECH Bino/Cam Chest Harness, October 26, 2010
This review is from: OP/TECH USA Bino/Cam Harness - Webbing (Camera)
I bought this at the last minute prior to a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. This is a MUST for any photographer that hikes!!! Previously, my neck would be almost raw from hiking around all day with my heavy pro digital slr, not anymore!!!!! There is no pressure on the neck and the harness keeps the camera from swinging while hiking. Very easy to manipulate for landscape mode, and with one clip, you will be ready for any vertical shot. This is a must have for the wildlife/landscape photographer!

OP/TECH USA Bino/Cam Harness - Webbing