Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: Original 18-Inch|Change

on October 19, 2008
I bought a pack of these sleeves to use when shooting outdoor sports in the rain. I'm not a pro photographer and couldn't justify the expense of the superior Aquatech rain gear. I needed something small and light that fits in my camera backpack and keeps me shooting during poor weather conditions I occasionally encounter.

If you do a lot of shooting in questionable weather and can justify the $200 cost, the Aquatech is obviously a better solution. But for $6, the Op/Tech sleeves are hard to beat in a pinch, particularly for casual photographers.

The sleeves are large enough to cover most all but the largest of the pro telephoto lenses. It fits my D300 with battery pack and 70-200 2.8 with room to spare. The sleeve has a hole in the rear - just remove your eyepiece cover, stretch the hole over the eyepiece, and replace the cover to hold it in place. The sleeve has a drawstring closure in front that holds very securely to the lens hood. The plastic is transparent and thin enough to allow operation of all the controls right through the sleeve (vs, sliding your hands up inside). It's a very usable solution, although it does make adjusting the zoom a bit more difficult. But again, this is intended to be more of an emergency or occasional rain solution.

I've spent endless hours shooting football games in the rain and the protection provided is excellent. As long as you don't poke a hole in it, your equipment will stay dry. I'm able to reuse them multiple times.

Pros: Very low cost, stores anywhere, excellent protection, low tech ease of use, able to see all of the camera's controls, works with tripods and monopods.

Cons: Takes a few minutes to put on and get adjusted, makes accessing some controls a little awkward (but not impossible), far too long for short lenses.

Bottom line: Excellent emergency protection during occasional bad weather for cameras with larger lenses. Those using smaller lenses should look for another solution.
0Comment| 195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2008
Works well to protect the camera from rain. Had to use this a couple times on my recent trip to Alaska. My only problem is it takes some time to get this thing on the camera properly, once it's on it's difficult to manipulate the lens zoom. Also if you're using a shorter lens then this thing is pretty much pointless since there's too much excess sleeve and nowhere to put it. The product itself is a high quality plastic too, not cheap like a grocery store bag.

Small and compact, folded up tiny and shoved it in my backpack, acted as extra padding for my lenses. :)

It worked great with the Canon 40d and Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens.
It worked good with the 40d and Canon 17-40mm f/4.0L.
I gave up trying with my 40d and Canon 50mm f/1.8.
22 comments| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 8, 2009
I have a Canon 5D Mark II which is prone to water damage so bought this rain cover because it always seems to rain when I go to the Renaissance Festival.

Well, its raining today off and on and I'm going anyway, so I opened the packaging and pulled one of the two out. It's kind of like a plastic bag shaped to go over your camera and lens. I slipped off my eye piece protector and pulled the bag over my Canon 135mm F/2 L lens and placed the opening around the eye piece and slipped the protector on then pulled the cord tight around the lens end. It's got a nice little slip cord release button that makes resizing a breeze.

Bingo, instance emergency weather protection. But I get it on and start using it and right away there are two problems, one the slip cord end over the lens hood keeps slipping back towards the camera, I ended up using some gaphers tape to hold it to the hood. The other problem is you lose the use of your neck strap since it is hanging out the end. You really don't realize how much you use your neck strap until you can't use it. Still I'm out in effiy weather with ominous looking dark clouds and I feel safer then without it. Ok now it's starting to rain and my fingers are really getting wet so I have taken leaving my hand inside the cover on the camera at all times which is easy to do since taking it in and out of the camera bag is a pain anyway and the bag is getting wet. Still I'm out in the rain and taking photos and no problems so far with my 5D Mark II.

Pros:

Easy on and easy off
Very good price point
You get two with each order!
Keeps your camera and lens dry

Cons:

Lens end keeps slipping back down barrel of lens
No place or hole for neck strap so you have to carry camera entire time.

Conclusion:

Get a pack just in case but don't rely on this as your primary weather protection.
88 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2007
I purchased this item thinking it was a good idea to have packed with camera accessories "just in case". I knew I was traveling to Europe on business and would have some free time to take some shots of local flavor. Upon taking a road trip to Salzburg, we encountered rain that turned to sleet that turned to snow. Salzburg was a wet, snowy photo op against the backdrop of cathedrals, snow capped mountains, and the location for scenes from the "Sound of Music". No umbrella - no cover. But I had a rain sleeve! It worked perfectly (except for some random drops on the lens, which was protected by a UV filter anyway, so no damage. I may have looked a little funny, but I think I captured more shots in the wet weather than anyone who had to hide their pocket digitals under their coats. And those brave enough to shoot with SLRs had to juggle umbrellas (which didn't look like much fun). Also was able to shoot some great street shots without the worry of wetness (or exposure to the unsuspecting subjects). I was glad to have this. I will order more. Hey, you never know...
22 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2010
I already own the Kata rain rig, the AquaTech rain rig, the ThankTank Hydrophobia etc.
But I keep one of these in every holster bag, vest, back pack I own. Good thing too.

Took a small gripped SLR with an AIO Tammy 18-270 and Tammy 10-24 on a day outing at the waterfalls along the Columbia Gorge. At Latourelle falls I noticed you could hike up to near where the water plunges down into the pool. Total soaking experience but worth the shots. And you could shoot from in behind the falls upward and outward towards the stream.

Whipped out the rainsleeve-flash and fired off the shots. Came back to the car looking like the aftermath of a shower-soap commercial.

Rainsleeve did the job. The rig was bone dry. I looked like a drowned rat.
This works and is beefy enough to snap it into a Bogen QR mount without ripping.

-rang
44 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2013
Work very well for de price, its only for de rain, not recomended with serious rain.
cover all de camera and lens, more de arm, exactly how the picture.
on May 2, 2011
Is this product really just a fancy plastic bag? Maybe.
Is this product really cheap? Absolutely!
Does this product do exactly what it's designed to do? More than likely

I recently had an engagement shoot to do in an area of the south that tends to get a bit rainy in March. Fearing that thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment might be at risk of getting a bit damp, I needed to find a quick (and preferably cheap) way to keep it dry in the event that Mother Nature decided to bless us with some precipitation. I ordered these Rainsleeves (actually a set of 2) and had them shipped to the shoot location, ready for me when I got there, in case we got rain!

Well....we got snow.

Thankfully, it was the right move to order these sleeves, and my equipment managed to stay dry. My setup when using these sleeves was similar to the photo in the item description. I shot a Canon 7D with a 70-200mm f2.8 IS mkii and the rainsleeves had no problems accommodating the length of the lens. The sleeve stayed wrapped tight on both the lens and the body, and no moisture penetrated its defenses and got to my camera.

The best part about these bags? They're completely re-usable. Since the engagement shoot, I've used the bags to shoot lacrosse games in the rain and baseball in the snow! They're easy to get on and off of the camera, and easy to move in and out of for quick shooting.

I would definitely recommend that every photographer keep a pack of these in their bag, because you never know when bad weather is going to hit, and it's just nice to have the piece of mind that these grant when you know you've got a set in your bag. They fold down to near-paper thin, and are as light as a feather, so you'll never even know they were added to your pack!

Pros:
Lightweight
Easy to Use
Work great in a pinch

Cons:
Plastic can be ripped with enough pressure
Not the most professional looking
Could probably be just as easily replaced with a kitchen-sized garbage bag
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 19, 2010
The rainsleeve is pretty simple - a very sturdy plastic "sleeve" in an upside-down "L" shape.. you stick your camera in the middle, your lens out the front and your hand through the other end.

You can easily make your own out of a trashbag, ziplock bag, or saran wrap (and that's actually what other people recommend as an alternative), but the thing is.. this is only a couple bucks. Do you really want to trust your expensive camera/lens to a grocery bag in order to save a little money?

The rainsleeve has a pull-tie in the front to tighten it around your lens. It also has a hole in the center to stick your viewfinder through (pop off the eyepiece, pull the hole over the remaining part of the viewfinder, put the eyepiece back on).

The thing to keep in mind, is this thing won't make your camera waterproof. It's to prevent rain from pouring all over your camera. The eyepiece is still out in the open and the front is uncovered (no shooting up into the sky/rain!). What it will do it prevent most rain from getting to the camera/lens during regular shooting, and for that it does a very good job.

One big downside of it is how big it is. The opening is made for lenses up to 7" diameter and 18" long.. that's a good-sized telephoto. What if you want to use a small prime or kit lens? That's where the drawback here is. You need to bunch up the front piece and tighten it with the pull-tie, but often even that isn't enough. I suggest using rubberbands or even electrical tape to hold it in place. The other problem is with it bunched up like this, it's difficult to move the zoom/focus rings on a lens, and the design makes it very hard/near impossible to use your neckstrap. Because of that, I suggest using a "R-Strap" or a handstrap on your DSLR.

The front is designed in a way that it's MUCH better if you use a lenshood - this will let you further protect the front element of your lens (by covering more of it.. if you cover 90% of your camera/lens, but the front of the lens sticks out 1".. I suggest not going in the rain!). A lens hood will let you slip the front of the rainsleeve onto the hood, protecting the front element from rain.

I also suggest keeping your hand INSIDE the pouch - if you put it in the pouch.. then take it out in the rain.. then put it back in the pouch.. water might get inside and the bag can fog up. The other option is to keep your hand OUTSIDE of the pouch and use it that way to trigger the shutter (it's light enough where it isn't a problem).

Another benefit besides rain, are "bad conditions" like sandy/dusty/muddy areas where you don't want any of that stuff touching your lens. After 1 use, I bought a few more packs (each pack contains 2 rainsleeves - they are reusable, but because they get wear and tear (from the eyepiece and just using them throughout the day) you may want extras).

They also make a version for about the same price that has a top compartment to hold your flash in.

Not the greatest option but certainly the cheapest.. and it works!

One other thing.. the price on these seems to change with the weather! When it gets rainy/cold, these tend to go up about 40% in price. In the summer months, they're often cheaper.
on August 30, 2008
While obviously far from a U/W housing, for a couple of dollars, this little glorified plastic bag does a really good job! The cinch around the lens opening works well, and accommodates a 70-200F4 on a Canon 40D with plenty of room to spare.

If one is careful to not tear the opening designed for the eyepiece, this device can be used many times, although this is the apparent weak spot, so be gentle putting this on and taking it off.

I have used this in a pretty bad rain storm, and it kept the camera and lens body dry, although conditions got so bad, I couldn't keep water off the lens face, and gave up.

Could you make this with a giant zip lock and a rubber band? Sure, but for the low cost to buy these, I have one in each of my camera bags just in case.
on June 30, 2014
This is a good inexpensive solution for short term use of a camera in rainy conditions, but shooting in June in Canada, it didn't take long for condensation to form on the inside of the bag. It's easy enough to dry the inside with a paper napkin, but that necessitates finding shelter and interrupting shooting.

I thought it might be OK to fold the arm opening of the bag around the camera strap and wear the camera around my neck a bit. Bad idea. I couldn't keep water out that way. However, holding it as intended and foregoing use of the neck strap worked fine until the condensation problem got in the way.

The first bag has plenty of life left in it after 6-8 hours of use. It's made of thick plastic and well sealed at the seams. The package includes a second bag as well.

I agree with the reviewer who said focusing is challenging with the drawstring around the lens. Sometimes I had to loosen, focus, and retighten in the rain.

What's not apparent from the photo is how long the bag is. It comes well past my elbow, which is good for preventing rain entry at the arm opening.

For an inexpensive, short term solution, I'd buy it again.