Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player (SACD / DVD-Audio / 3D Blu-ray)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on July 29, 2016
Great Piece of equipment
on July 27, 2016
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player (SACD / DVD-Audio / 3D Blu-ray)

Awesome, Sound quality: it gave me a 'new' surround sound system, Picture, A 'new' T.V.it made my back-lit LCD/LED t.v look like a Plasma t.v.
Set up, a new definition on what one can 'do' to your overall watching experience, it even saves where you left off watching on MKV etc. file when you turn it off!, FAST fwd,rw , yes it's pricey, but so are Alpha Romeo's
on July 25, 2016
Spend the extra money. You wont regret it if you really appreciate good sound. Much improved sound over my old Sony plus I can now play all available formats and not just DTS & DD. Easy to set up and the instruction booklet is handy to have verses going online for information like I have to do with the Yamaha amp. Love the sound.
on July 20, 2016
Read lot of good reviews.. but was not able to see the difference when connected in my home theater... Not sure if worth the cost...
on July 20, 2016
This was a gift
on July 18, 2016
The bd-103 Blu-ray player sounds really good with every source I have played through it. I now, do not have to purchase a separate CD player. This is important to me as I'm on a very limited budget. Thank you, OPPO.
on July 14, 2016
As Blu-Ray player prices have plummeted, so has the quality to the point where they're practically junk. In the last few years, I've gone through a number of players, each more cheaply made than the one before to the point where now my toaster is a better quality product than a typical BR player. Consequently, my BR player had become the weak link in my home entertainment system, and I knew I had to do something about it.

Enter the OPPO BDP-103. First released in 2012, the professional reviews are unanimous: this player sets the Gold Standard.

My player arrived yesterday, and I could not be more pleased.

It all began with the unboxing experience. It's obvious that a lot of thought went into the design of the package, from the hard foam inserts to the box of cables to the large product sheet to the OPPO tote bag container, a really nice touch. In preparation for the arrival, I had already watched an unboxing video on YouTube but nothing beats doing it in person.

I decided to see if I could set it up without referring to the manual--always a good indicator of quality design--and it turned out to be a breeze. I plugged in the USB wireless adaptor into the back of the unit, then the power cord into my surge protector and the included (six feet long) HDMI cable into my television receiver. Voilà. Powered it up, used the remote to navigate to "Set Up" and followed the instructions to tap into my wireless network. I downloaded and installed a firmware update and finished by signing onto my Netflix and Pandora accounts. Done. The entire process took about 15 minutes, half of which was waiting on the firmware update to download and install.

I put the unit through its paces by playing a few YouTube and Netflix videos, then some Pandora tunes, then a blu-ray disc from the BBC's Planet Earth series. The 103 is very easy to navigate through the different functions and apps. Playback was flawless. As referenced above, much has already been written about the superior video and audio quality of this unit to which I will just add that I completely agree.

My aging eyes and large hands especially appreciate the oversized remote, another indicator that OPPO put some design thought into this.

After doing quite a bit of research, the choice for me came down to either the OPPO 103 or the more recently released 103D (same unit but with Darbee, a video enhancer that requires hands on adjustment that may be different depending on the source material). In the end, I went with the 103, partly because it was less expensive, but mainly because I just didn't want to deal with adjusting video settings. Darbee may or may not be worth an extra $100, but to me it would be too much of a hassle to deal with. If you enjoy that sort of thing, you might want to take a look at the BDP-103D. But I'm more of a "Plug and Play" kind of guy. And as a friend of mine once told me in reference to a newly upgraded iMac, "Just because Apple released a better computer doesn't mean yours is now bad."

As much as I'm enjoying my OPPO, the final test will be its longevity. I'm hoping to get five years out of this unit, but I'll settle for four. If I have any problems, I'll update this review. But for now, I'm very pleased with this player. Definitely a case of you get what you pay for.
on July 7, 2016
Fantastic blu-ray/universal disc player! The picture is top notch and the sound is stellar. will take your home theater to a whole new level.
on July 6, 2016
Admittedly, my audio and video equipment would be considered low end by most who might consider the OPPO BDP-103. That said, after 3 years of nothing but frustration with my highly rated "cheap" Samsung player ($80), using the OPPO has been a great joy. Perhaps my imagination, but I swear I hear a difference in the audio even on my modest system. Alas, the video is what it is ... no difference there, but I didn't really expect it on my system.

My big caveat to anybody getting this unit is ... read the manual! I've seen many reviews which claim something isn't working but, after my 2 hours of manual reading, found references where certain features will work only with a specific level of updates or specific choices in Settings. If you're not a manual reader, well, hopefully you have enough experience in modern equipment to just know what to do, or you have a friend who knows, or that you don't really need an advanced feature.

For my purposes, the system was easily connected to my TV as well as my audio system. Everything works perfectly. The wifi connection was easy. So far, it has read every file format I've thrown at it. I love that it has it's own screen (my previous cheap player required the TV to be on to keep track of what was going on, which is silly for audio only).

The remote: This is bitter-sweet for me. On the one hand, it's BIG and HEAVY. On the other hand, it's big and heavy. I love the heft, and the buttons are big enough my 60+-yr-old eyes can read the captions. But it is big and heavy.

The reason for only 4-stars? As I stated earlier, for many features, it is essential to read the manual to verify everything is "right" to make it work. It would be better if the device was self-analyzing and would give messages through the TV with specific help, with selections to go directly to the appropriate setting to alter things when the player is asked to do something the current settings don't support.

For any who might care ... this is my second OPPO, the first being purchased 12 years ago. It is still going strong at another home. I hope my 103 will give me similar longevity.

One last item - I installed the OPPO media control app on my Android phone. I almost didn't after reading several reviews, but am glad I did. Most complaints seem to come from a lack of connection to their network (did they connect the wifi USB stick or a wired connector to the OPPO? Who knows), or the apparent incomplete set of buttons on the remote control function. Regarding the latter ... When selecting the remote control it defaults to the middle 1/3rd of the actual remote. This contains most of the moment to moment controls. If you want to have access to the other buttons, simply scroll up or down. While I have not done a button-by-button comparison, it appears to me that every button on the remote is replicated on the remote control portion of the media controller app.

So, bottom line - if you can afford it, I highly recommend the OPPO BDP-103, even if the rest of your system components aren't of the same caliber. After only a few days, I'm glad I made this purchase.
on July 5, 2016
Well, after reading all the reviews i settled on this beauty-(impressive!). From the packaging to performance I am VERY satisfied with my purchase. Sound is clear along with great picture quality. I like it since it does play both DVD and Blu Ray. Highly recommend this purchase.