4.0 out of 5 stars oppo dvi upconvertion
Published on February 16, 2005 by E. Gutierrez

3.0 out of 5 stars unit was not the latest one being shipped elsewhere
my beef with this unit, was that Amazon did not send me the latest product. It is at least five months or more older than what you can get elsewhere. I got 5 percent off from Amazon, but had to spend five dollars to get the free +shipping ($5.00)upgraded remote. The older one is kind of junky, and it doesn't transmit a good strong infra red light to the unit, which...
Published on March 7, 2006 by Michael Paul

4.0 out of 5 stars oppo dvi upconvertion, February 16, 2005
This review is from: OPPO OPDV971H Digital HD-Ready Up-Converting DVD Player (Electronics)
I just got this player thru Amazon, and ran two region1 DVD disks: LOTR Return of the King Platinum and Dying Young. The short review: The wife is so impressed with the Oppo's picture quality (that's probably the most important consideration when buying anything like this). I was expecting the quality, since I was able to demo a Samsung earlier that could do DCDI/Faroudja/upconvertion. ADDED: I also tried Star Wars DVD. WOW!! The picture quality really blew me away. I can see details in the movie I have never seen before on a TV.

Our Oppo/HT setup: Panasonic AE700 widescreen lcd projector hdmi, ht=61" x wd=108" diy "blackout" screen (viewing distance=3.5meters), Yamaha RXV2095 receiver, Pioneer DV515 (old non-progressive dvd player via 12meter sVideo, 1.5meter fiber optic audio), Oppo DV971H (via dvi-to-hdmi adapter, 5meter hdmi cable, 3.7meter 75ohm component video cable, 10meter 75ohm coax audio), Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 L/R/C and Bose AM10 L/R/C/Surr, Wiring AWG12. Home Theater PC setup (6meter VGA output, 1.5 meter fiber optic audio, Asus Pentium 4-2.67GHz notebook, ATI Radeon 9000-64MB, 512MB, 40GB HDD, ZoomPlayer, FFDShow, PowerStrip, WinDVD6, PowerDVD6). (1meter = 3.28ft)

I have observed a significant video improvement over our old pioneer DVD player. I also tried a 1970's movie (I won't mention the title) that was so poorly transferred to DVD (region3), and I noticed a significant improvement in the video playback over the old player. The noise artifacts were minimized, and the sharpness had a significant improvement. I guess that was the DCDI/Faroudja chip doing its work.

I've tried the 480p,720p,1080i upconvertion using the "dvi" button on the remote and although I couldn't really notice the difference in quality between the three modes even on such a large screen, the lcd projector saw the difference and reported the corresponding "input source signal". I may have to observe some more and change the projector's picture mode, we usually leave it at "Cinema1 mode".

ADDED: okay, I've now looked A LOT closer using Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon region3 DVD. Basically, as I move up the DVI resolution from 480p to 720p to 1080i, I did noticed that less and less horizontal lines were becoming visible (a good thing).
BUT, since our projector uses hdmi, the picture does suffer from hdmi cropping issues (varies with the resolution being used). Using component/analog gives the largest picture that can occupy the screen (unfortunately there is no upconversion using component, only the Oppo's DVI output has the upconversion). At the projector side: Using hdmi input, the picture appears cropped (black bars at the left and right, sometimes at the top and bottom, sometimes a combination of both). I also cannot change aspect ratio using hdmi, while you can using component/analog inputs of the projector.

ADDED: The Oppo I have can play DVD-Audio, something not stated in the manuals or the unit's array of logos. The DVD-Audio sampler disc I used came from Creative Lab's Audigy 2 for the PC.

ADDED: I also compaired the Oppo's component output vs. the dvi-to-hdmi output, basically, there's a big difference in the picture quality, you should connect using the dvi output if possible.

I also noticed that the subtitles on the movies are much easier to read now when compaired to the old dvd player, but on one brief moment the subtitles on Dying Young were garbled -that's never happened before on the Pioneer.
ADDED: Okay, this has now happened to a bunch of other DVDs, sometimes it garbles one single line of subtitle per entire single dvd I watched. That is still an acceptable problem to me.

I also heard no apparent difference in audio quality between the Oppo and the old Pioneer despite the length of the coax. Naturally I set all audio sound effects to off when compairing audio CDs.

I also compaired the Oppo to our HTPC. Basically, the HTPC could output better video than the old Pioneer, but when compairing with Oppo, I prefer the Oppo. I don't want the hassle the HTPC is giving me. I saw no significant video quality difference between the HTPC and the Oppo. So my take on this is if you're happy with your HTPC, stick to it. If you want convenience then Oppo is something to look at. If you can't demo an Oppo, try looking at anything with DCDI/Faroudja.

Bottom line: I am happy with the purchase. Good value for the money. It's region free and can upconvert, and that's what's important to me. I chose Oppo vs. Momitsu V880 because I prefer Faroudja over Sigma Designs. BUT, BUT, here are my Oppo gripes....

1. I don't like the remote's key layout, it also seems flimsy, it could use a backlight.
2. I don't like the el-cheapo plastic disc tray. It looks like it will break easily. It's weird having to insert a disc if the tray doesn't comeout 100% all the way. I just hope this is the design, not a defect.
3. I don't like the bright blue light which is distracting in a completely dark home theater room.
4. The player's buttons are a little hard to press, well, maybe because it's still new. As with other players, not all remote functions can be found on the unit itself. So take care of the remote.
5. I wish the unit was color black instead of silver.
6. I don't like the OSD font, could use a better readable font.
7. The setup menu could be more descriptive, the manual helps but not enough...
8. I wish it was HDMI rather than DVI, but the adapter solved that issue.

ADDED: 9. Subtitle display is sometimes garbled (sometimes happens once on a single line per DVD watched).

ADDED 05/28: Okay, after 3 months and almost 200 hrs of use, I am still happy with this purchase. However, not all DVD titles appeared fantastic thru the DVI upconversion output (hdmi input on our projector), such as Top Gun r1. I had to watch it thru the component output. It appeared too visually noisy via DVI.

Eric Gutierrez
Manila, Philippines

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent multi region multi voltage main with lots of fe, April 13, 2005
There is confusion about whether this player is multi region and multi voltage. The web site says 100-250V 50-60~. The player says 110v 60~, support says multi voltage. The support team were so helpful I decided to plug it in to a 250v supply. It is multi voltage.

There is also a multi region hack on videohelp which is:

Press Setup on remote control to access the setup page

* Enter 9210 on the remote

* A secret menu will pop up

* Select 0 to 6 in region code. 0 is multi region

* Press Setup on remote again to exit

After setting region 0 I've tried region 1 and region 2 discs and both work.

It also pays DIVX and Xvids written to a DVD RW and is the only player I know which has smooth forward and reverse search for these. I strongly recommend this player.

With all its features, a goodprice and active support this is an excellent player for all including international travellers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate DVD Player!!!, September 28, 2005
I want to make an update to my review: After several months I am still recommending this player to all of my friends and other people I know that are looking for a good HD DVI Up-Converting DVD Player. I have a friend who bought Samsung with HDMI, and the quality on that one is nowhere near of that of OPPO. It's firmware upgradable, and OPPO constantly improves with new features and various fixes/upgrades. It's one of the best purchases that I've made in years. Highly Recommended!!!

I've had 4 different DVD players in a span of 5 years. The reason I started looking for another one was a new 32" Kreisen HDTV LCD (model 321T) that I bought about a month ago. Since my TV has a DVI input, I really wanted a DVD player with DVI output to maximize TV's performance/capabilities and to get the best possible picture quality. However, DVI was not the only requirement. I also wanted support of various formats, including DIVX, as well as PAL/NTSC conversion capability since I have a lot of DVD's from different regions. I started doing some research, and that's how I came across this OPPO DVD Player. Imagine my surprise when I found out that not only it meets all of my requirements, but also uses Faroudja DCDi technology, which is the best on the market. That alone is worth more than $200 bucks. I did a little more digging and learned that this player was named the best DVD player of 2005. It did better in every category when compared to other leading DVD player manufacturers. The only one that came close to it was a $2,500 Denon unit. Hmm... Let me see. $200 vs $2,500. "Tough decision". But let's get back to Oppo. Here is my first impression of it in a form of Pros and Cons:

PROS:

Price - One might actually think that $200 is a lot for a DVD player. My wife would fall into the category of those people. She asked me why can't I just get another $30 dollar Cyberhome. She stopped complaining though after I hooked it up to the TV and showed her how dramatic the difference was in picture quality. I also told her if she doesn't shut up, I'll get a $2,500 Denon :-) .

Picture Quality - I've tried 3 different DVD players (Sampo DVE612, Cyberhome DVD500, and Philips DVP642) first using various connections to determine which one works the best, and then compared it to Oppo. Here are the results of my test: Sampo (no progressive scan output) worked best using S-Video connection. Cyberhome (with progressive scan) had the best picture quality using component connection with Progressive Scan turned off. Philips (with progressive scan) had the best result when using the same component connection, but with Progressive Scan turned on. Then, I held my breath and connected the newly acquired Oppo to my TV using the DVI connection. I put my daughter's favorite Lion King DVD in it, and pressed the Play button. I thought my eyes are going to pop out. The difference was astonishing. It's like watching the same movie in a regular movie theater and then in IMAX with 3-D experience. Simply amazing.

Versatility - It handles everything I through at it. Burned DVD's, MP3's, JPEG's, DIVX, VCD's, etc. I haven't had a simple hiccup yet. It didn't come "region free" out of the box though, as other users mentioned in their reviews. But all you have to do is to apply a simple remote control hack. It's funny, but Oppo support page itself actually mentions how to access the hidden menu. They tell you that for the purposes of checking the firmware version, but you can also use it to your advantage. Here is the procedure: Press "Setup" button on your remote control. Then enter "9 2 1 0" using the remote. The menu pops up and all you have to do is enter "0" for "region free" playback. I played several different PAL DVD's from different regions and it handled them very well. Also, it's probably a good idea to switch the TV type to "Auto" in the setup menu. That way it recognizes the format automatically, and uses the correct output.

Features - If you are the owner of HDTV LCD or Plasma with DVI and/or HDMI inputs, then I would highly recommend you take advantage of it and purchase this DVD player. There is not a lot of DVD players on the market these days that have DVI capabilities. There is even less that offer Faroudja chipset that makes the picture quality so exceptional. As far as I know Denon is pretty much the only one. Denon has several different models with DVI output, ranging from $700 to $3,500. But not one has as many features as Oppo does. And why would you want to spend 10 times more money on something that will probably be obsolete in a couple of years? I rest my case.

Support - Try to contact Cyberhome. I have... about a month ago... still waiting for a response. Philips is the same way. Oppo, on the other hand, strives for perfection. I've already tried Oppo's customer service/support by phone and e-mail, and was pleasantly surprised by quickness and knowledge of the staff. My questions were answered in professional and timely manner every time. Oppo's website is also quite impressive. It provides tons of useful information. Keep up the good work, Oppo!

CONS:

Remote Control - Probably one of the worst remote control designs that I have ever seen. Button layout is absolutely horrible. Whenever I try to Stop, Pause, Forward, Rewind, change a setting, or do anything else, it takes me a long time to find the right key on the remote control. Not user-friendly at all. Hopefully Oppo will address this issue with future models.

Tray - Maybe I'm been too picky here, but I don't like when the DVD tray doesn't open all the way. It makes it a little hard to insert the disc in it. Also, it's somewhat on a cheap side - looks very flaky and easily breakable. You have to be very careful with it.

Summary:
Despite a few minor drawbacks, I still think I made the right choice with Oppo. The features, the performance, and the price make it a perfect buy. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sets a high-level for customer service, May 5, 2005
The excellent performance has been well documented. You may know it scored a 94, second to the Denon 5901 which costs a bit more, in very techical evaluation of DVD players:

[...]

What is not well documented is the unexpected superb customer service.

* Emails are replied to quickly even in the evening.

* Phone calls are answered by a real person.

* Firmware upgrades are released online very quickly and easy to apply. So, you don't lose the opportunity to use the player.Unlike others that require you to send in your unit to a service center to apply a firmware upgrade.

* Warranty problems are fixed very quickly even when it's clearly not the fault of the player. During this past weekend, I accidentally bumped the tray as it was opening with a center channel speaker, Adire LCR... heavy... big. The speaker did not give. The tray did, throwing it out of alignment. I could not get the tray to load again. It was jammed. Distraught! Panic! I called Oppo, explained what happened and it was clearly my mistake. I shipped it to them on Tuesday. They sent me an e-mail today (Thursday) that they fixed the tray and applied the latest firmware upgrade and are FedEx'ing back to me. I should have it by this weekend. Less than a week turnaround. And they didn't have to fix it since it was clearly my error.

That shows me that Oppo is very serious about establishing a high-excellence for customer service. And this is for a player that has excellent picture quality (with DVI) and sound quality for $199. There is little risk since they provide 30/31 day trial when buying directly or through Amazon.

For those who have HDMI displays, you can buy an DVI-HDMI cable for the cost of a lunch from:

[...]

I wish Oppo would release a HT preamp processor.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars OPPO OPDV971H Digital HD-Ready Up-Converting DVD Player, October 11, 2006
P. SHING (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have mixed feelings about this product. Even though I still rated it with 5 stars simply because you got much more than what you pay for it at $200 from Amazon.
Let's start with the features which I have issues with
1. Resume-to-play function: Most of DVD player allows you to resume scene from last time you stop. For this product, it does also only when power still on. If you power down the product, then it will resume from the begining of the disc next time you power-on the product. One way to get around it will be to eject the disc before power down and allow the disc to load while power down. Then, you can press the "select" buttom to resume the last scene next time when you turn on the product. It works but very annoying.
2. Quality control: The DVI-HDMI cable comes with the product seems varies a lot in quality. My 1st units arrived with good cable and everything works fine. My 2nd unit arrived with questionable cable and I saw lots of flicker noises when played at 720P mode. I returned the unit and re-order another one, same problem. Gladly, the OPPO company locates close to my area and I am able to bring the product to their site. They tested the unit with no issue at all and I stood there embrassed since I was so sure it was the unit has problem. They swapped me with new cable. For the very same unit, it works flawlessly with the right cable.
3. Compatibility: If you have Toshiba rear projection large size TV, this product is not for you but rather the OPDV970 does. Accordingly to OPPO technical personnel, Nathon and Jin , OPDV971 has clocking incompatibility issue with Toshiba TV. You will see 3 finger wide of light green bars on 1/20th and 2/3 of the screen. I swapped my 971 with 970 and it works well with my Toshiba rear projection TV.

Now, let me share what I really like about this product
1. It can read all format, all regions disc with superior video quality. My Toshiba DVD player, costs me more than 1KUSD 5 years ago , can't even compare video quality at 480P through component output.
2. Video coming out from DVI, Component, Sviode, composite all are available. Easy for anyone to compare video quality from 720P through DVI with the component output at 480P.
3. Compact and sleek
4. Service: OPPO is very hard to find. I went there twice and each time took me more than 20 minutes to locate them. Their technical personnel is very knowledgeable and helpful. As soon as you open up your issue statement, they seems to know the cause and promptly address your issue. Here is the number to reach them, 650-9611118.
5. Video quality: DVI output at 720P has this cool-feeling video quality while component output provide warm video quality. So, you can change from cool to warm video images on the fly based on audiance acceptance.
6. Cheap. I was very skeptical about what a $200 upconversion DVD player can do when I had my 42 inches LCD HD TV ordered. Now, I am deeply satisfied with this product. Most importantly, I have my perceptions changed about product-made-in-China since this product indeed comes from China and it is GOOD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Worldwide Player even with old hardware, May 24, 2006
Jennifer Brown (Ypsilanti, MI United States) - See all my reviews
We bought the OPPO 971H for its ability to play NTSC and PAL DVD's from any region out of the box (well... using the remote code). I have been feeding all 30 discs we have from around the world and all appear to play cleanly and very crisply.

We thought of buying some of the cheaper players, but this player will allow us to upgrade to HDTV and experience the benefits of Upconversion. Plus my husband has a some movies in DIVX format clogging up the computer hard drive. It will be nice to burn some discs and free up some space.

The OPPO 971H also played a disk an old friend of my husbands burned for him way back in 1997 on an old Linux machine. Once again a crisp clean image and flawless play.

Other players we looked at were:

1) Toshiba SD-850HD High-Definition DVI/HDMI (regioncodefreedvd was selling for 179 at the time, 149 now)

2) Toshiba SD-6980

(wasn't sure about its ability to convert PAL to NTSC)

3) Philips 642/ 37 Region Free - Code free DIVX PAL NTSC DVD Player

(we didn't like the reviews on Philips customer service overall)

4) several other modified players. (worried about quality)

5) buy a european player. (hard to find good reviews)

We got a bit concerned about modified players even though regioncodefreedvd and its various other web names seems to have a good reputation. We liked the idea of a player being designed from the ground up to be multi-region, PAL-NTSC converting, and DIVX/X-Vid capable. HDMI upconverting is just icing.

In the end we liked OPPO's reputation for customer service and the obvious desire to design a better consumer product. We liked what people were saying at AVSforums. We like that the player is designed to be updated constantly.

We have had 4 other players and none looks as nice as the image on my junky old 27" Sanyo tv using good old S-video. I know that some folks say that you need to get HDMI/DVI to really have this player shine, and I look forward to getting an HDTV to try it out, but the image for other s-video users with older equipment is as good and better than all the other players I have owned.

Another complaint that I saw about OPPO was criticism of the tray. I love the tray. Not sure what people are talking about?? It is nicely flexible so it won't break if my kids grab a hold of it incidentally. I like that the tray forces you to stick the finger in the middle hole to get the disc out. That way stick tacky kid fingers don't gum up the outside tracks on the DVD's so I have to wipe them off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Response from OPPO customer service, February 24, 2006
First, here's another favorable review which discusses the features of the OPPO OPDV971H and workings of DVI/HDMI in general. Amazon doesn't want URLs in reviews, so do a web search for projectorcentral.com and "A Winning Digital DVD Player".

Here are a few answers received in email from OPPO's customer service regarding most of the complaints/concerns about this player in other reviews.

Quote:

[new, replacement] Remotes do not need to be purchased if the user is within their 30 day purchase period. If an Amazon.com customer did not receive new stock, they can forward us a copy of their Amazon.com sales receipt and we can send them a replacement remote and/or DVI-HDMI cable.

1. It is impossible to use a different tray for the loader unit we employ in the OPDV971H. The loader is actually one of the most expensive pieces of equipment in the OPDV971H, and is one of the best loaders in the world. Because we have been very happy with its quality, it is likely that this loader will continue to be used for future products. Additionally, the OPDV971H has yet to be returned for reasons associated to a defective loader. The tray, although flimsy in feel, is very robust. We liken it to being "Family Friendly" around the office.

2. When the OPDV971H was designed, the engineers did not have enough experience with the two hardware (MTK and Faroudja) to employ the Faroudja chipset for both the DVI and Component outputs. For this reason all upconversion could only be obtained through the DVI output. Future hardware will support Component based upconversion.

Progressive scan was removed from the OPDV971H from the very beginning due to a communication error between the Faroudja chipset and the MTK chipset. We have asked the engineers to re-evaluate its support (as in a menu toggle) but have yet to receive any updates. The OPDV971H was designed as a digital alternative, and some features, and support, had to be removed in order to meet this goal.

3. [audio] Synchronization is something that we have always aggressively pursued. We have a new firmware which will correct most synchronization errors. However, it will be some time before all synchronization errors (not associated to the mastering) will be fixed.

4. There is a single Breakpoint feature in the OPDV971H which allows you to resume the playback of a film which you powered down from. With any firmware released after November 22, 2005, you need to press Eject in the middle of disc playback. Press Power on the remote control. The next time you start the DVD player again, press Select when prompted.

Because of the hardware design of the OPDV971H, this is the best we can do in regards to a resume feature for a unit that has been powered off. Additionally, the same design decision is the one that only allows the Power button [vs. the eject button] to initiate the turning On/Off of the OPDV971H. This will be corrected in future hardware.

5.0 out of 5 stars The tale of a simple DVD player, January 17, 2006
The Oppo Digital - OPDV971H DVD Player only plays DVD's one at a time. It does this job extremely well so I guess the folks at Oppo Digital decided, and rightly so, the need to play five or six DVD's at the same time on some type of carousel might look cool but is not necessary in your typical family household and can be a health hazard to the common electronic consumer who needs to get up off the couch at least once or twice a week.

The tray that slides out of the Oppo Digital - OPDV971H DVD Player looks to be made of rather thin cheap plastic so I would recommend not sticking this thing in the dishwasher. Hand washing of this DVD Player and a gentle cloth drying of the tray might be the prudent move here.

The DVD Player plays the following formats DVD Video, DVD Audio, DivX/MPEG4 (DivX 5, DivX 4, DivX 3, and DivX VOD), Audio CD, HDCD, WMA, DVD R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW, Kodak Picture *Whooo* No I have not attempted to find or play all these formats on this DVD Player. I have a life, OK?

VIDEO CONNECTIONS

Under the hood of this sweet little DVD Player are two chips that are currently the state of the art for the DVD empire, the up scaling Genesis FLI-2310 and a Mediatek MPEG decoder, a combo which is also used in the Toshiba SDV593 DVD/VHS Player which unfortunately is NOT recommended due to player-to-player manufacturing problems. In other words Toshiba builds JUNK.

DVI - The tip top digital video connection along with HDMI... You have seen these before. These are basically the same connections as you would find on the back of your computer monitor. That should also give you a hint about where the world of audio/video is heading. Straight to your desktop computer I say. I use a Monster DVI to HDMI converter cable to plug my Oppo Digital - OPDV971H DVD Player into my HDMI Sony KD-34XBR960.

***WARNING*** The video formats I write about below are not the recommended digital video connections for use on the Oppo Digital - OPDV971H DVD Player since they do not use the units Genesis FLI-2310 chip.

Component Video - The three red/green/blue RCA jacks. This is the current standard everybody should be using today. The Oppo Digital - OPDV971H DVD Player has one of these connections.

S-Video - Yeah, that little black circle plug with the thin wires inside that bend and break off when you try to plug it in because you cannot find the way it is supposed to go in and you are about to lose it and bash something, That one! Good-bye you sucky useless thing! Good-bye and good riddance! Piece of junk! This is so old school and so finicky. The Oppo Digital - OPDV971H DVD Player has one of these if you must use it.

Composite Video - That single yellow RCA plug. This was never a good idea to begin with; I mean, come on think about it. A complex analog signal going through what is basically a mono jack? Nah, it's trash. The Oppo Digital - OPDV971H DVD Player has one of these.

GET THE PICTURE

Now about those strange sexually suggestive numbers often heard when talking about the HDTV picture and DVD Up scaling, here is what the Oppo Digital - OPDV971H DVD Player can provide...

480p - (The P is for Progressive Scan) This is the best you can hope for from the current DVD's being produced out there, honest, only 480 progressive scan lines. Got it? That is 480 lines of all video data available on that little silver disk period. Until High Definition DVD's are on the market this is the actual format and the highest quality picture source currently stashed on there, that's all she wrote, end of story.

720p - (The P is for Progressive Scan) this is sort of an in between mode I have never found a use for.

1080i - Here is the step up in HDTV broadcasts and the current state of the art so to speak. 1080 interlaced lines of video data. What the Oppo Digital - OPDV971H DVD Player is doing is over scanning the original 480p format of the current DVD's and giving you a fake 1080i High Definition DVD look. I must admit now that I have lived with this techy trick, IT ROCKS! The picture is crystal clear and there is no cropping of any pixels.

This player provides a picture that is so visually stunning and so eye popping gorgeous that it falls squarely into the territory of some $Denon$ type of DVD Player costing a thousand or more dollars. Only $200 dollars to see every friggin green pixel as clear as the day it was pixelated in The Matrix what more do you want?

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW

On the back for Audio you get your typical analog Front, Rear, and Center (or in this case it's called Mixed) Channels. They are RCA style connections. No surprises. The Oppo Digital - OPDV971H DVD Player can do 5.1 surround using Dolby Digital Pro-Logic II. Who uses this still? I mean go get a full bore surround sound system like my Onkyo HT-S870 already.

Fiber Optic Audio - Now we are talking! I use the Fiber Optic connection set to RAW and let my Onkyo HT-S870 pump it's Dolby/THX Certified bass thumping heart out.

Digital Coax Audio - Looks like RCA plug, sounds like Digital. Sneaky and definitely OK if that's all you have on your receiver.

THE REMOTE

Nothing to write home about here. I have not been able to find a back light button. The buttons by the way are clear hard plastic jewel like and small. They look like they should light up. Oh, just go get a good Universal Remote! OK?

REGION FREE

Here's the BIG selling point for me. If you want to play ANY DVD from ANY PLACE in the world this player will play it for you. No, your TV does not need to display PAL just good old NTSC. Although this DVD Player can provide a PAL signal if it needed to.

Just pull any DVD's you have in the Oppo Digital - OPDV971H DVD Player out of the tray. Now at the start screen Press 9210 on the remote. You should see a screen pop up with Region set to 1, if not press Press Setup and see if the Press 9210 works on that screen. Now simply Press 0 on the remote when you see the screen with the Region 1 at the bottom. It should now read Region 0. Press Setup to accept the change. This means you can play any DVD Region.

SUMMARY

At a measly $200 dollars and with all the well thought out bells and whistles and the all around well built electronics put into the Oppo Digital - OPDV971H DVD Player, well this cheap little monster simply cannot be beat. As long as you also have the required still expensive HDTV with HDMI or DVI inputs. Sure you cannot run down to Best Buy and poke at one of these babies, but it's up to you. I would much rather rely on Oppo Digital's well written, on-line return policy than to assume Best Buy will provide adequate customer service along with their well known rip-off insurance policies. That's just my take on this type of Internet Only product these days.

Geek Note: Like any GOOD electronics the Oppo Digital - OPDV971H DVD Player also has firmware updates...

Settings Used For Review:

Not Applicable

Audio Setup Page-

SPDIF: RAW

LCPM OUT: 192K

(192 KHz Sampling Frequency, 24-Bit High Quality Audio DAC)

Video Setup Page-

SHARPNESS: OFF

BRIGHTNESS: 00

CONTRAST: 00

SATURATION: 00

CCS: OFF

TRUELIFE: OFF

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Improvement Over My First $100 Upconverting Player, November 30, 2006
docprego (Henderson, NV) - See all my reviews
I was a sceptic, truely. I was one of these people who thought a DVD player is a DVD player, right? Apparently I was very wrong. When I bought my Optoma HD70 I knew that I wanted a player that could upconvert to the Optoma's native 720p resolution. Since I bought a Panasonic SA-XR55S receiver from Amazon I figured I would match it and go with the upconverting Panasonic DVD player the DVD-S52S. At first I thought it looked decent, I was not thrilled. Then my wife came down to have a look. She asked me what was wrong with the picture. I asked her what she meant and she pointed out a LOT of pixelation and noise in the image. She said it just didn't look good. I wondered if it was the projector or the fact that I was projecting on an off white textured wall.

Then I realized what I was seeing, it was artifacts from the DVD player! So I decided to return it to Circuit City because I was within my 30 day return period. I set out to find the BEST player I could, no compromises. The Oppo 971H was the easy conclusion that I came to. It received stellar reviews all over the internet, so I ordered it from Amazon with an HDMI to DVI adapter. As usual Amazon got it to me fast! I hooked it up and held my breath, was it worth twice what I paid for the Panasonic? No, it was worth 10 times what I paid for the Panasonic! All of the deficiencies my wife noted were gone, it was amazing!

On a really good disc the Oppo makes it look so close to HD, on poor disc it still makes the disc look a lot better! I could not be more pleased with this DVD player.

Some people say the 971H has an issue called macroblocking on some displays where the Faroudja technology in it exxagerates the blockiness of certain backgrounds and colors. I saw a minor example of this on a black background during the start of a movie when the movie studio logo was displayed. I am SURE this logo was not encoded well and that is the reason I saw it here but not in the film on the same disc. All in all it is a non-issue on my display (hopefully on yours too) and I almost let this overhyped problem sway me away from this fine device.

Other things I like are the blue backlighting on the front panel, and I find the display to be extremely clear and easy to read. The whole unit just has a quality look about it, it looks great sitting in my rack.

The remote is fine, another overhyped issue though I do agree backlighting would have been nice. I don't seem to see the glowing that the keys are supposed to do.

Bottom line: this player is a 10/10. I don't see how anyone could ever be disappointed with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great player, but beware: Amazon have old stock, January 16, 2006
I got my player from Amazon on Dec 27, but it has the original remote control, which is really, really bad. I have to buy the new remote for $5 in order to use newer firmware.

If you order direct from the Oppo web site you'll get a new remote (and proably newer firmware) than buying from Amazon.

OPPO OPDV971H Digital HD-Ready Up-Converting DVD Player