5.0 out of 5 stars Maintenance Saw
I walk my property with my dog frequently and am forever seeing trimming and cutting that I want to accomplish. I never want to gas up, oil and use my Stihl 038 Magnum immediately upon seeing a trim job. It is too heavy and loud for the quick trimming of a limb or the fast work of a downed branch.

I had the opportunity to sample this saw recently and I must say...
Published on September 16, 2011 by Brown_Jettie

3.0 out of 5 stars I hate chainsaws - but I used to love this one ...
I'm not a big fan of chainsaws: I don't like the noise (whether I'm using one; or I have to listen to the neighbor using one); I don't like the gas and oil mixing; I don't like trying to find non-ethanol gas; I don't like the starter pull-cord; I don't like leaving the chainsaw idling while I'm moving around, and I don't like hand-sharpening oily chains.

The...
Published on February 2, 2012 by tilth

5.0 out of 5 stars Maintenance Saw, September 16, 2011

I had the opportunity to sample this saw recently and I must say it is excellent.

The saw itself is very light in comparison to my Stihl. I found myself climbing up my ladder with it off, setting up under the branch I wanted to cut, pressing in the safety and then the trigger and quickly cutting what I needed.

I like that the saw is not continuously running. It is safer while walking with it and especially when among a brush pile where one can trip up easily.

I practice "self - preservation" so I try to work smart and avoid accidents with power tools, especially chain saws. I never like walking with a running saw, you trip up and that is when issues can occur. My comfort level with this tool was such that I could lift the saw above my head frequently to cut high branches, the weight was nice and after cutting I would release the trigger thus stopping the chain. With my gas saw I am always nervous about doing this and possibly bringing the saw down onto my leg while the chain is spinning. A heavy saw comes down quicker and you fatigue after using it but I really feel comfortable doing MORE work with the battery saw as when you release the trigger it is off and thus safe.

Because you power it on only when you need it, the battery life was very good. I cut all that I set out to cut and had power to spare. I had two batteries and worked with one for approximately an hour before swapping to the second. I cut a lot with battery 1 and was very happy with the performance.

One surprise bonus is the noise level being so much less with this tool, you do not have the constant drone and buzz of a gas saw.
The day I cut was a summer day near a lake where sound travels and people tend to be relaxing on vacation. This saw is not intrusive and I never felt guilty for getting work done in a densely populated area of summer cottages. Mental fatigue is lessened too because you are not working with all that noise. While cutting I had a partner with me helping, It was nice being able to communicate while working. With no continuous back-round noise it was easier to talk and plan cuts and what we wanted to trim.

The durability of the saw, the build quality, and the way it could cut is fantastic. I started cutting 2" and 4" limbs and then worked up to larger 4" and 6" and larger. Eventually I was so pleased with the tool that I tackled a 10" pine and dropped it with ease.

I expected it to be a pruning saw, what I found was that it could do much more and easily could replace my Stihl for 90% of the jobs I do. Only when a large tree 12" + needs to be dropped or cut up would I now feel the need to break out the gas saw. Everything else this battery saw can handle and handle nicely.

I tried the easy to use quick sharpen feature once in the middle of my 2 hours of work. I loved it. It worked ....Nuff said,

In short, if you want to make quick work of cutting and trimming around your house....doing preventative maintenance rather than waiting for storms to take down limbs and branches, then this saw is for you. It is much faster, cleaner and quieter to use than a gas saw so you won't wait to do work, you can grab it and go, cut and be done with ease.

3.0 out of 5 stars I hate chainsaws - but I used to love this one ..., February 2, 2012
This review is from: OREGON 40 Volt MAX* CS250-E6 Chain Saw Kit with 2.4 Ah Battery Pack (Lawn & Patio)

The Oregon PowerNow 40 volt chainsaw doesn't have any of the above issues: so I gave it a try ... and I Love it! (Or at least I used to: see update below.)

For me, the best use is cutting up hardwood trees and branches smaller than 6 to 9 inches in diameter. It is most efficient when bucking. When felling, any additional friction on the chain from the weight of the tree tends to eat up the battery a lot faster. But for bucking wood into woodstove-size pieces this tool is the cat's pajamas. And it can be used to fell a few trees on a charge.

The saw weight of 10.5 pounds is reasonable. And the saw really does cut best if you apply no downward pressure and just let the weight of the saw (with sharp chain) cut through the wood. I can sharpen the chain without removing or touching it, just by pulling a lever on the saw for 3-5 seconds while the chain is moving.

I'm sure there will soon be lots of competition in this market, but for now, Oregon PowerNow has a winner on its hands.

Update: after 10 months of ownership I'm knocking one point off my rating because the design of the kickback brake is sensitive to getting messed up by spilled chainbar oil. When you overfill oil, it can run into a recess where the brake lever pivots. This area is not user-serviceable. Enough spilled oil and wood dust and the brake lever won't stay in the run position. Happened to me twice. Fortunately the company serviced it for free. Now I'm really careful not to spill any oil and to keep chain very sharp to reduce dust. But if you cut dead hardwood, there will always be some dust. I've looked at the design of Stihl's cordless saw, and I think they did a better job in this area.

Update 2: after 12 months ownership but only 4 months of use, the brake lever problem appeared for the third time. I can't be without a chainsaw during the winter and was disappointed that a local vendor of this Oregon saw was not allowed do warranty repairs on this saw. So I sent it back to the manufacturer one more time. And am knocking another point off my rating.

This got me moving. I scoped out the Stihl MSA 160 C-BQ battery chainsaw at the local hardware store. It is 50% more expensive, but Stihl sells face-to-face only through dealers with protected territories - and my dealer would also do any warranty (and out of warranty) repairs that might come up. The extra cost got me a battery with almost twice the amps and the saw gives very long run time. If I want an extra battery it is the same cost as Oregon's battery, so points go to Stihl there. I think from now on, my repaired Oregon saw is going to sit on the shelf for backup if/when the Stihl needs to go in for repairs. The Stihl has a narrower chain and handles very easily. And unlike the Oregon, you don't have to rev it to full speed before starting a cut: you can start slow and the Stihl has the moxie to accelerate while cutting.

I don't wish to be off-topic talking about a product that Amazon can't carry, but I do think buyers who experience the brake lever issue need to know about alternatives. At least until Oregon does some kind of re-design on their saw.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good First Impression, September 13, 2011
I own and have used a number of gas and electric chainsaws. My first impression of this saw is very positive. It appears to be well made, handles well, and is easy to trigger.

We used it to cut through a variety of wood, ranging from branches less than an inch thick, to a fallen spruce tree 14 inches in diameter. The power was sufficient to pull the PowerSharp (3/8 inch low profile) chain through almost anything we asked, as long as we let the saw do the work.

Battery powered saws are not for everyone. If you cut big timber, like to lean on your saw, or expect high revs, they are not for you. If you do occasional cutting, need a grab-and-go saw for maintenance tasks, don't want to (or can't) store gasoline, this is one you should definitely look at.

The saw is much quieter than a gas chainsaw; about as loud as an electric reciprocating saw. The noise stops when you are not actually cutting. There are no 2-cycle fumes. There is no pulling of a starter rope or the frustration of a hard-to-start saw. No gasoline to buy, mix, store, or dispose of.

It is too early to comment on battery life. As with any battery operated tool, work stops while the battery is recharging, so you should plan you work accordingly, or consider an additional battery for extended cutting.

I have been pleased with the PowerSharp chain on other saws, so I expect similar results on this one.

EDIT: I have been using this saw now for almost 2-1/2 years and have had a very positive experience with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars chainsaw 101, November 2, 2011
As a surgeon i had some fear of owning a chainsaw. I felt that a battery powered one might be more controllable. I was right! the saw is easy to handle and has great safety features and a useful guide on how to perform basic cuts. The noreaster left me with several immoveable oak tree limbs strew about my property. the landscaper would have charged me 400.00 to remove them. so i thought i'd invest in the chainsaw and do it myself and have the saw for future uses. The large 14 inch bed sliced through 6 inch diameter limbs and i was out there an hour cutting and discarding and never had to recharge it. I strongly rec. this product especially for amateurs and paul bunyon types alike

4.0 out of 5 stars Mountain Biker Needs a Portable Chainsaw, March 21, 2012
Aloha, I bought this saw because I needed something I could strap to my pack while I mountain bike into the trails that I maintain. I needed portable power. I've used many gas powered saws in the past. They worked great but I always had an oily mess by the time I was done. And yes, each time I loaded up to carry the saw to the next downed tree, I'd have to shut the hot saw down, pack it up, unpack at the next obstacle and restart. Additionally if I (or someone else) inadvertently dumped the chain into the mud/dirt or rock etc. I had to deal with a dull chain for the rest of the day. Well, I actually carried a spare chain with me in the field. Bottom line, I needed to deal with all of this out in the field. Then, when I got home, I spent hours sharpening my chains and cleaning and maintaining the saw so the next I needed it, it would start up and work. Sometimes I'll go months before I needed the saw. Fill the tank, start the saw, make sure it works before I even load it on to my pack. With the battery power, press the battery button to check the charge the night before. Good to go.

I was skeptical because of the battery power. However, I am sold. I bought this saw with a spare battery and have used it a dozen times now within the last month and a half. I have to admit the saw is expensive and a bit heavy (especially when you add the 2nd battery I carry) and that is why I give it 4 stars. I wish I could give it 4.5 stars because it's not that bad. Being able to sharpen in the field and have enough battery power to cut in the field for a 3-4 hour work day is good enough for me.

I fabricated a simple bungee set up to hold the guard on the saw so when I'm riding my bike, the guard doesn't fall off.

When I get home from a trip, I will blow off the saw with compressed air. I will then remove the cover and blow off the dust and then brush and wipe the saw down. Put the cover back on and refill the oil and check chain tension. I hang the saw from the ceiling. Total time of maintenance when I get home is short of 10 minutes. I take the batteries in and charge them so when I need the saw, everything is ready to go.

So yes, pros are immediate start up, not an oily hot mess and auto-sharpening.

Cons include price, weight and lack of ability to run other tools with the same battery. I hope some day soon they come up with grass and hedge trimmers.

I compared this to other brands including the Sthil. The Sthil uses a smaller chain and bar and does not have auto sharpening. Sthil's saw does not come with a battery which must be purchased separately and costs more. The Sthil uses the same battery to power other tools such as grass and hedge trimmers.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was amazed!, November 12, 2011
Due to the skeptic I am, I was prepared to return this saw when it arrived because I just knew that there was no way a battery powered saw could do much of anything compared to a gas powered saw, especially since the directions state not to apply alot of downward pressure while cutting. I figured that the chain would just sieze up if you did that. Well, I was sadly mistaken! Right out of the box, after putting a charge into the battery, I tested it out on some 5" and 6" limbs on my trees, what an amazing job it did! I couldn't ask for a better cutting saw. Oh, and by the way, you don't need to put alot of downward pressure on the saw, the chain is designed so IT does the cutting without the added pressure. Let's face it, you're not going to be using this saw if you're a professional logger, it's intended for light to medium use, and it is rather spendy ($500.00), especially if you get the extended run model like I did, but I think it's worth it. After it arrived I noticed that it was made in China, so we'll see how well it holds up over time. I wouldn't think Oregon would put their name on something that will beak in a week or two...but we'll see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed with this saw., November 26, 2011
I use a saw once or twice a year to clean up fallen trees in my woods, and every time I take out the gas saw, it is one problem after another. Even when it works it is a constant battle to keep the thing running.

So I decided that for the limited use I put to it, an electric saw might be a better tool. I bought this saw because of the battery and reasonable bar length. Went for the better battery option and ordered a second battery.

The saw works great. You need two batteries. The first day the batteries ran down rather quickly, day two I ran down quicker than the batteries as they outlasted me. I didn't get to day three 'cause I'm done :-)

Self-sharpening, great design gives you easy access to the sprocket chain and bar for cleaning, adjusting, replacing as needed. This is a nice tool for yard cleanup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oregon 40 v chainsaw, January 21, 2012
Bought this for girlfriend who can handle regular gas chainsaw as well as me but cant get one started. It doesnt develop as much chain speed as a typical gas chainsaw but for a small job, the convenience can't be beat. Cuts through a pretty good pile of 6-8" firewood on one charge. Don't waste time and money on a smaller battery saw- get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oregon Cordless Electric Chain Saw, February 22, 2012
I am in the process of thinning a couple heavily wooded lots, and, although I've resisted using chain saws in the past, I saw the Oregon saw in a magazine and followed up on Amazon and liked what I saw, so I purchased one. I was motivated by 2 primary reasons: first, the chain is self-sharpening; and, second, it's a cordless, electric model with a 40V lithium-ion battery. The negative was the price, which is a lot more than gas engine models.
I've now used it a lot, and it has exceeded my expectations. The self-sharpening really works, and that's a biggie, because cutting with a dull chain is just no fun, and my prior experience with chain saws was that the chains got dull quickly and, although they can be re-sharpened, it's not much fun. The power and cutting ability is very good. This is not an underpowered, flimsy chain saw. I've cut some very large trees with it, and it's worked like a champ. I think the battery life is good. I say "think," because, when I'm using it, I don't operate it continuously. I'm doing a lot of clearing work of underbrush at the same time, so I'll cut a tree or 3 and then spend a fair amount of time limbing the trees and clearing underbrush and doing other things. So far, I've only run out of battery power once. It seems to re-charge pretty quickly, but I've never actually timed it.
For me, it's a keeper, and I've been very plased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars oregon cordless saw f5rom amazon, February 6, 2012
suzanne m wonder (saratoga springs, new york United States) - See all my reviews
I am a 51 year old female and have never used a chainsaw. Upon arrival I charged the battery and read the manual. In two hours the battery was charged. I proceeded outside to my horse paddock and removed a fallen tree about 10 inches in diameter. The saw is quiet compared to gas powered ones, lightweight, very sharp, and has enough power to tackle decent size trees. It can be handled by a small peron . Excellent product.
g